PDA

View Full Version : Smokies in a Day

Cutter185
05-17-2009, 22:43
Ive read places and heard of people doing the "smokies in a day", from border to border thats like 73 miles.

any truth to this, or do they consider the smokies a shorter section than it is?

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-17-2009, 23:24
I got passed southbound last year by a small group who were running uphill and a real good clip, if anyone does it they do

Squeaky 2
05-18-2009, 02:11
people do do it in a day quite easily. horton told me that his group do it each year and in about 14 hours. i did it in 22 hours as part of my thru hike. not sure if any other thru hikers have done it but it really is a good challenge for anyone to hike with all their gear. it would suit a southbounder for obvious reasons.

Engine
05-18-2009, 07:34
I don't think I would want to do it in a day, just due to potential injuries setting me back or even causing me to leave the trail for good. In order to avoid the shelters as much as possible however, Caboose and I are not at all opposed to 25-28 mile days and putting it behind us with only 2 overnights in the park.

If anyone was serious about doing it without sleeping in the park, another option might be to get to Newfound gap and yogi into Gat-Vegas for the night, completing the trip the next day.

modiyooch
05-18-2009, 08:15
I don't see it. nada. squeaky, you actually hiked from fontana dam to I-40 in a day?????????? and with gear?

CaseyB
05-18-2009, 08:25
I can see it. Not me, of course, but some of these ultrarunner guys could do it. I stayed at a shelter with two guys who were doing it w/one overnight, carring something like 19 lbs each.

modiyooch
05-18-2009, 08:31
I can see it. Not me, of course, but some of these ultrarunner guys could do it. I stayed at a shelter with two guys who were doing it w/one overnight, carring something like 19 lbs each.it wasn't presented as an ultra run for the extreme. it was presented as hiking the smokies in a day. and squeaky said he did it during his thru. it is a hiking forum, not a running forum.

CaseyB
05-18-2009, 08:39
people do do it in a day quite easily. horton told me that his group do it each year and in about 14 hours. i did it in 22 hours as part of my thru hike. not sure if any other thru hikers have done it but it really is a good challenge for anyone to hike with all their gear. it would suit a southbounder for obvious reasons.

That is 3.3 mph, so he's not running :D. It has been done.

Engine
05-18-2009, 08:52
it wasn't presented as an ultra run for the extreme. it was presented as hiking the smokies in a day. and squeaky said he did it during his thru. it is a hiking forum, not a running forum.

Sometimes the distinction between the two are not as clear as you may think. The majority of ultrarunners, except for the very elite, combine running and speed walking when engaging in ultra events. During a recent hike in the smokies I often jogged the steep downhills since it was easier than hiking down and on rugged terrain even the elite runners tend to walk the ups and run the flats and downs.

73 miles in 22 hours with a light pack is very doable, not much fun, but doable.

modiyooch
05-18-2009, 09:42
That is 3.3 mph, so he's not running :D. It has been done.
I thought I did good when I did the last 25 miles in a day while section hiking. I simply could not tolerate another night in the shelter with the mass from the shelter before. I bartered(unloaded) my food for a cup of hot chocolate from a thru hiker. I didn't have my stove with me. It was a good trade.

MOWGLI
05-18-2009, 09:49
it wasn't presented as an ultra run for the extreme. it was presented as hiking the smokies in a day. and squeaky said he did it during his thru. it is a hiking forum, not a running forum.

I thought this was the forum where voyeur packsniffers get to criticize how others hike. :p

modiyooch
05-18-2009, 09:53
I thought this was the forum where voyeur packsniffers get to criticize how others hike. :pnah, it's just hard for me to believe. I'm both a runner and backpacker. sounded like a tall tale to me. I can stand corrected. so how long did it take for him to finish his thru? my curiousity is peaked.

MOWGLI
05-18-2009, 09:57
nah, it's just hard for me to believe. I'm both a runner and backpacker. sounded like a tall tale to me. I can stand corrected. so how long did it take for him to finish his thru? my curiousity is peaked.

Squeaky is the real deal. My buddy Youngblood ran into him at Fontana as he was finishing after 22 hours. I think he ate some outrageous number of Powerbars or Snickers. Something like 20 bars in 22 hours.

OldStormcrow
05-18-2009, 10:02
Trails are for hiking, tracks are for running.....

MOWGLI
05-18-2009, 10:02

Some people have limitations. Some don't.

Engine
05-18-2009, 10:04
trails Are For Hiking, Tracks Are For Running.....

Nonsense! :)

modiyooch
05-18-2009, 10:13
I much prefer to run, but I refrain when I have weight on my back and hiking boots. If I run, it is on the last day, so the limping afterwards is done at work and not on the trail. The thing for me, I never know what lies ahead on the at, so I don't know whether to wear hiking boots, or running shoes. I'm big on hiking boots for ankle support and protection from kicking rocks. I do run a mt regularly. It's the best cardio program that I have going. running the smokies is not my cup of tea.

Engine
05-18-2009, 12:05
Depending on how things go at Rocky Racoon next year, this thread has me thinking about a sub 22 hour run through GSMNP next spring.:-? Any takers?

bishopj
05-18-2009, 12:31
Why would you want to. you miss out on some good stuff

Engine
05-18-2009, 12:41

There are many reasons why people log long days, but in my case it's purely for the challenge. Only an ultrarunner or maybe a participant in Ironman triathlons would appreciate that reason, but there are others. As for missing good stuff, I've hiked that stretch many times so there won't be much I haven't seen.

Alaskanhkr23
05-18-2009, 12:45
engine i got a question for yuh

Engine
05-18-2009, 12:53
Okay??? :cool:

Alaskanhkr23
05-18-2009, 12:58
hey where's the best place to put a tent(kinda big) and a otter shell jacket-in ur pack

Alaskanhkr23
05-18-2009, 12:59
outer shell jacket i meant LOL

Engine
05-18-2009, 13:00
PM on it's way.

bigmac_in
05-18-2009, 13:14
nah, it's just hard for me to believe. I'm both a runner and backpacker. sounded like a tall tale to me. I can stand corrected. so how long did it take for him to finish his thru? my curiousity is peaked.

Do a search on squeaky's hike and read up - you won't question his answer. He is speed hiker.

modiyooch
05-18-2009, 13:35
Do a search on squeaky's hike and read up - you won't question his answer. He is speed hiker.ok I believe ya. Sorry if I offended his hike. hats off to squeaky.

jersey joe
05-18-2009, 13:37
I ran into a guy "Sweeper" on my thru in 2002 who was attempting a sub 24 hour run through the smokies with his father. I think he wound up succeeding the following year. He also graciously fed a bunch of us thru-hikers in the parking lot too!!!

Squeaky is the only one I have heard of that hiked the smokies in one day with a pack and in the midst of a thru hike.

Cutter185
05-18-2009, 13:48
hey where's the best place to put a tent(kinda big) and a otter shell jacket-in ur pack

kinda big tents dont belong in a pack....

MOWGLI
05-18-2009, 14:16
Depending on how things go at Rocky Racoon next year, this thread has me thinking about a sub 22 hour run through GSMNP next spring.:-? Any takers?

The same could be said about folks who choose to hike the AT in the park instead of the BMT or other lower routes. IMO, the AT skips some of the prettiest parts of the park. The same for Shenandoah NP.

This is why Baskin Robbiins has 31 flavors.

Skyline
05-18-2009, 15:09
Smokies in a day?

1) Drive to Clingman's Dome.

2) Hike to Newfound Gap.

3) Call Jeff and Nancy to come get you and shuttle you to Fontana.

4) Call Curtis to come get you and shuttle you to Davenport.

5) Cook lunch at Standing Bear.

6) Call Happy Hiker to come get you and shuttle you to Gatlinburg.

7) Eat dinner in Gatlinburg.

8) Call a taxi to take you back to Clingman's.

Done in a day! :banana

garlic08
05-18-2009, 16:53

Yeah, but there's good stuff both ways, at least for some.

Have you ever hiked through a sunrise and a sunset on the same day? Night-hiked with the critters, watching the bats fly at sunset? Hiked while the birds wake up? Have you ever had three or four complete changes of scenery on the same day?

I can't imagine hiking a 70+ mile day, but I congratulate those who can. I'll do half that occasionally, so I can come somewhat close to understanding the allure. What's most telling about a hiker after a long day is how much they hike the next day! If you need toenail surgery or have to take a week off, what's the point?

Egads
05-18-2009, 17:19
What's most telling about a hiker after a long day is how much they hike the next day! If you need toenail surgery or have to take a week off, what's the point?

The point is some of us have other responsibilities and can hike only on weekends & vacations. Might as well make the drive worth the while.

garlic08
05-18-2009, 20:29
The point is some of us have other responsibilities and can hike only on weekends & vacations. Might as well make the drive worth the while.

And a very good point it is. Thank you. I got stuck in thru-hiker mode there. I used to enjoy going to work for the main purpose of recovering from my weekend abuse!

Bilko
05-18-2009, 21:00
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=64759

Back in '03, I met a guy (Will, editor of Blue Mtn. Outdoor Newspaper in Ashville) attempting to run across the Park in 24 hours. He was writing an article about the air pollution in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. Will was an ultra marathon runner. His wife had dropped him off that moning at 6:00 am at Davenport Gap, the northern end of the park. She had met her husband at Clingman’s dome for lunch and gave him fresh water and took his head light from him. She said he wasn’t looking too good but didn’t want to discourage him. They had planned to meet up at Russell Shelter around 7:00 PM, before it got dark. That is about the time that I met his wife at Russell Field Shelter. Will was travelling in just running clothes and running shoes. He did not make it to Russell Field Shelter that night. You can read about the account at my journal entry above.

Hiking the entire park with gear in 24 hours. That is some rough terrain, you would have to travel in the dark which would compound things. You would have to navigate through all the tourist at NewFound Gap, Clingman's Dome and avoid the Sirens calling from Gatlinburg. You would need food supplements, water, head light, etc. Extra weight. 24 Hours? I would like to see that.

fiddlehead
05-18-2009, 21:46
So Squeaky, when is the attempt at the record going to take place?

~Ronin~
05-18-2009, 21:55

If my lung capacity was higher (asthma trouble), I would be in on that. Based on my sprinting capabilities, I think I could do it, if I could just get my long distance endurance better. Keep me posted on your intentions, because I would seriously build up my endurance just to try that.

SmokyMtn Hiker
05-18-2009, 22:23
I sectioned the Smokies last October and I took 6 days. I couldn't imagine what it would be like doing in one day, and all the great views you would miss. I guess if your into setting records go for it, but what's the hurry life is to short.

Egads
05-18-2009, 22:31
There are many styles of traversing trails. What works for one doesn't for another.

Pokey2006
05-18-2009, 22:31
I sectioned the Smokies last October and I took 6 days. I couldn't imagine what it would be like doing in one day, and all the great views you would miss. I guess if your into setting records go for it, but what's the hurry life is to short.

Why would you miss any views? You'd be hiking the same trail. Just might be seeing some of the views at night. In which case, maybe YOU missed out on some great night views...

Just sayin'

Mags
05-18-2009, 23:39

I concur!

My treatise (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Outdoor-Writings/hike-my-hike-damn-it.html) on this "running" address this very issue.

Afterall, if people do something different form us...how can they enjoy it?

Hike my hike..damn it!

:D

Cutter185
05-19-2009, 00:32
Hiking the entire park with gear in 24 hours. That is some rough terrain, you would have to travel in the dark which would compound things. You would have to navigate through all the tourist at NewFound Gap, Clingman's Dome and avoid the Sirens calling from Gatlinburg. You would need food supplements, water, head light, etc. Extra weight. 24 Hours? I would like to see that.

sounds tough with gear, are there any slackpack options in the area? i know there arent many road crossings.

Engine
05-19-2009, 06:53
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=64759
...You would need food supplements, water, head light, etc. Extra weight. 24 Hours? I would like to see that...

I regularly run with a 12 pound AR pack (including a 100oz. H2O reservoir), so gear is a non issue. As for liking to see it, stay tuned. I put an hour into looking at the profile through the park yesterday and it is very doable so I will set a date after I look at average weather patterns. I need the best chance of dry weather with highs in the 50's for optimum performance. :-?

If my lung capacity was higher (asthma trouble), I would be in on that. Based on my sprinting capabilities, I think I could do it, if I could just get my long distance endurance better. Keep me posted on your intentions, because I would seriously build up my endurance just to try that.

It will probably be late mid to late April 2010, but I'll let you know. The plan is to do it self supported. More importantly I would love to raise money for a good cause in the process, and I would even pay my own mortgage while doing it! :)

sounds tough with gear, are there any slackpack options in the area? i know there arent many road crossings.

As noted above, I'll do it self supported. My pack will likely weigh around 14 pounds with a full water load and I'll pick water sources near the trail to top off at to reduce time off. It'll be slackpacking in the traditional sense...just no slackers allowed.

Any ideas on a good charity?

modiyooch
05-19-2009, 08:19
views at night?? please explain. Many times I don't even get the views in the day. baldpate, webster cliffs, wildcat, max patch, ridge at watauga, 100 mile wilderness to name a few.

MOWGLI
05-19-2009, 08:22
views at night?? please explain. Many times I don't even get the views in the day. baldpate, webster cliffs, wildcat, max patch, ridge at watauga, 100 mile wilderness to name a few.

Night sky. Lights in the valley. Wildlife encounters. Moon over water.

Ever seen a Moonbow?

modiyooch
05-19-2009, 08:32
Night sky. Lights in the valley. Wildlife encounters. Moon over water.

Ever seen a Moonbow? can't i see that from the comfort of my sleeping bag? what's a moonbow? ah, it's just not for me. I'm afraid I'll turn an ankle. I didn't like the few times I got caught hiking after sunset. Actually, one of those times was in the smokies with a full moon. That was an exception.

Engine
05-19-2009, 08:36
The only time I've ever been nervous hiking after dark was in Yellowstone. I just knew I was going to bump into a grizz on the trail.

MOWGLI
05-19-2009, 08:37
what's a moonbow?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/85/263950357_dd04058529.jpg

Not my photo.

Engine
05-19-2009, 09:55

Ask Jim Adams, he did a big portion of his thru hike at night. I asked him about it and he had a lot of compelling reasons for doing it.

JJJ
05-19-2009, 10:38
I regularly run with a 12 pound AR pack (including a 100oz. H2O reservoir), so gear is a non issue. As for liking to see it, stay tuned. I put an hour into looking at the profile through the park yesterday and it is very doable so I will set a date after I look at average weather patterns. I need the best chance of dry weather with highs in the 50's for optimum performance. :-?

It will probably be late mid to late April 2010, but I'll let you know. The plan is to do it self supported. More importantly I would love to raise money for a good cause in the process, and I would even pay my own mortgage while doing it! :)

As noted above, I'll do it self supported. My pack will likely weigh around 14 pounds with a full water load and I'll pick water sources near the trail to top off at to reduce time off. It'll be slackpacking in the traditional sense...just no slackers allowed.

Any ideas on a good charity?

Good Luck, Engine.
These people (http://www.ncultra.org/article.php?story=20090403034346678) will help you out.
I know Adam Hill and a few others from this group.
Always ready to share the ecstasy of trail running.
jjj

RockDoc
05-19-2009, 10:57
FWIW, on a shuttle to Fontana Dam, we got a lecture from a lodge owner about "not wandering around after dark in the Smokies because that's when the animals come out that might want to eat you" ... meaning feral hogs and bears. Again, FWIW.

I'm an ultrarunner and I think doing it in one day is a delightful idea (but I don't live near the Smokies). How bout running around Mt Rainier?

Engine
05-19-2009, 11:06
Good Luck, Engine.
These people (http://www.ncultra.org/article.php?story=20090403034346678) will help you out.
I know Adam Hill and a few others from this group.
Always ready to share the ecstasy of trail running.
jjj

That is great info, Thanks! I've been breaking it down into sections this morning and searching for water sources close to the trail. I see it's been done in under 18 hours, but I know my limits and I'm thinking sub 20 would be a realistic but tough goal.

Engine
05-19-2009, 11:08
FWIW, on a shuttle to Fontana Dam, we got a lecture from a lodge owner about "not wandering around after dark in the Smokies because that's when the animals come out that might want to eat you" ... meaning feral hogs and bears. Again, FWIW.

I'm an ultrarunner and I think doing it in one day is a delightful idea (but I don't live near the Smokies). How bout running around Mt Rainier?

That might be doable in the future. :) For now I'm gonna concentrate on this project and would welcome anyone who's interested in doing the run for a cause.

MOWGLI
05-19-2009, 12:26

I'd be curious to know the last time a hog attacked a hiker in the Smokies. Can anyone come up with a single documented hog attack? I'd be surprised if anyone could. There has been one fatal bear attack in the history of the park That was in 2000 - and it was during the day. Maybe that's one too many, but it's still only one.

Engine
05-19-2009, 12:44
I've seen lots of hogs while hiking and running and only once, when I got between a sow and her piglet, was I ever really nervous. They are not nearly as dangerous as rumor would have people believe. I think bears are even less aggressive. I would be much more concerned by the raccoon, fox or coyote that behaves strangely due to the potential for rabies than I would about a bear or hog.

Mags
05-19-2009, 13:45
views at night?? please explain.

Full Moon hiking is simply magical.

I've done Longs Peak by the light of the full moon twice now and it was easily one of the best experiences of my hiking life. So bright I did not need a headlamp and seeing the sun rise over the clouds below made for a memory that will always be seared into my mind.

Pokey2006
05-19-2009, 13:50
You see very cool things when you're not worried about hiking in the dark. It was on the edge of night coming down from a mountain when I saw several tiny little baby bears about a week ago. Mowgli is so jealous...

Out of 1,600 miles, my single favorite mile on the AT in 2006 was at night, full moon, a light coating of snow on the ground. I didn't use my headlamp, and it was magical. It was also a blue blaze, but that's another thread...

Downhill Trucker
05-19-2009, 14:05
Ever seen a Moonbow?

Have you? Where? I went to Yosemite last spring in search of one and we could not get it. :confused:

Engine
05-19-2009, 15:11
Full Moon hiking is simply magical.

I've done Longs Peak by the light of the full moon twice now and it was easily one of the best experiences of my hiking life. So bright I did not need a headlamp and seeing the sun rise over the clouds below made for a memory that will always be seared into my mind.

That would be awsome. I've done Longs twice, starting at midnight both times, but it was still dark when we got to the keyhole and I ended up waiting for some light before we continued over all of the exposed terrain. A full moon would have been great. :)

Egads
05-19-2009, 17:12
Phreak & I hiked to Wiggs Meadow in a full moon with about 6" of snow on the ground. Cowboy camped in the meadow. Great time.

Engine
05-19-2009, 17:16
Phreak & I hiked to Wiggs Meadow in a full moon with about 6" of snow on the ground. Cowboy camped in the meadow. Great time.

No cowboy jokes please.

Isn't Wiggs Meadow on the backside of Brokeback mountain? :eek:

Seriously, full moon nights are very cool in the winter.

JAdk
05-19-2009, 21:30
Just out of curiosity, why do some people want to hurry through the Smokies? Is it because of crowds? Is it because of bears? Is it because of re-supply issues? What are the pros (other than great scenic beauty) and cons of being in the Smokies?

Cutter185
05-20-2009, 01:26
Just out of curiosity, why do some people want to hurry through the Smokies? Is it because of crowds? Is it because of bears? Is it because of re-supply issues? What are the pros (other than great scenic beauty) and cons of being in the Smokies?

what if its raining and cloudy the whole time. people always assume that everyone is going to have pristine views, but that isnt always the case.

Pokey2006
05-20-2009, 01:31
what if its raining and cloudy the whole time. people always assume that everyone is going to have pristine views, but that isnt always the case.

It's true. I recall being cold and wet and miserable the whole way through the Smokies. Sure, it was awful pretty, but....I was also happy to be done with it.

fiddlehead
05-20-2009, 02:41

I for one think it's the crowds. The Smokies are the most visited park in the nation.
My favorite happens to be Glacier which is not at all crowded in the backcountry because most people are afraid of Griz.

The weather is often bad also (that's why they call them the smokies)
(I remember my hike in '89 when it rained 8" in the smokies. I came down to get out of it and it was sunny and nice at the bottom)

Also, i wouldn't say most hikers want to do it as fast as possible.
It's just a good milestone as it's 70+ miles or therabouts. Normally doable although the smokies has some long and difficult climbs which makes it a bit tough.

My best trip through there was in the winter in Jan when i only saw 2 other hikers past 5 miles in from Newfound. (and they were my hiking partners)
IT doesn't get better than that IMO.

Also, it ends with a really long downhill if you go SOBO so, when you are tired, you can roll home.

Jak, i think you should go down and check it out for yourself.
Then you can see what the AT is about somewhat.

Engine
05-20-2009, 07:08

Another factor everyone left out is the mandating of shelter use by the NPS in GSMNP. You are not allowed to tent along the AT unless the shelter is full. In fact the treatment that thru hikers get is really crappy IMHO. The rules state that if there is room in a shelter you MUST stay in it, but if a non-thru hiker comes in and there isn't enough space, you must give them your spot and then pitch your tent "NO MATTER HOW LATE" they show up. If it were compared to the caste system in India, we'd rate right up there with the untouchables.

I think due to mandating shelter use, there are unusually high numbers of rodents in those shelters as well. I've hiked through that stretch using the shelter system and it kinda sucked.

JAK
05-20-2009, 07:35

I for one think it's the crowds. The Smokies are the most visited park in the nation.
My favorite happens to be Glacier which is not at all crowded in the backcountry because most people are afraid of Griz.

The weather is often bad also (that's why they call them the smokies)
(I remember my hike in '89 when it rained 8" in the smokies. I came down to get out of it and it was sunny and nice at the bottom)

Also, i wouldn't say most hikers want to do it as fast as possible.
It's just a good milestone as it's 70+ miles or therabouts. Normally doable although the smokies has some long and difficult climbs which makes it a bit tough.

My best trip through there was in the winter in Jan when i only saw 2 other hikers past 5 miles in from Newfound. (and they were my hiking partners)
IT doesn't get better than that IMO.

Also, it ends with a really long downhill if you go SOBO so, when you are tired, you can roll home.

Jak, i think you should go down and check it out for yourself.
Then you can see what the AT is about somewhat.
Did you mean me? Wrong JAK.
For one thing JAdk is WAY older than I am. :D

Definitely want to get down there though. Not waiting until I can do a thru.
Run it in a day during a thru or long section hike? Not me.
If I lived around there and was 50 pounds lighter and it was raining and crowded, hell yeah.

MOWGLI
05-20-2009, 07:49

Did you know that everyone who drives US 441 is counted as a park visitor?

Couple years ago, I went for a hike July 4 weekend in the park. Once I left the campground, I saw all but a handful of people in the backcountry. Outside the thru-hiker window, the AT can be pretty sparsely populated. Head for other trails in the park, and you can have plenty of space and solitude. Especially mid-week and off season.

Engine
05-20-2009, 10:39
Did you know that everyone who drives US 441 is counted as a park visitor?

Couple years ago, I went for a hike July 4 weekend in the park. Once I left the campground, I saw all but a handful of people in the backcountry. Outside the thru-hiker window, the AT can be pretty sparsely populated. Head for other trails in the park, and you can have plenty of space and solitude. Especially mid-week and off season.

Caboose and I saw a grand total of 3 other hikers in 4 days off the AT a couple weeks ago. On the AT was a different story, closer to 3 an hour there.

Dogwood
05-20-2009, 12:26
Why would someone want to zoom, with their hair on fire, through the extremely scenic most biodiverse of any National Park Great Smokey Mountain NP in one day??? Absurd! Go down to the local highschool oval if you wish to run with a checkered flag beat the clock mentality. GIVE THESE NATIONAL TREASURES, WHICH WE CALL NATIONAL PARKS, THE TIME AND RESPECT THAT THEY JUSTLY DESERVE.

Engine
05-20-2009, 12:38
Why would someone want to zoom, with their hair on fire, through the extremely scenic most biodiverse of any National Park Great Smokey Mountain NP in one day??? Absurd! Go down to the local highschool oval if you wish to run with a checkered flag beat the clock mentality. GIVE THESE NATIONAL TREASURES, WHICH WE CALL NATIONAL PARKS, THE TIME AND RESPECT THAT THEY JUSTLY DESERVE.

Did you actually read any of the earlier posts? Your question has been answered many times.

garlic08
05-20-2009, 13:22
Another factor everyone left out is the mandating of shelter use by the NPS in GSMNP. You are not allowed to tent along the AT unless the shelter is full. In fact the treatment that thru hikers get is really crappy IMHO. The rules state that if there is room in a shelter you MUST stay in it, but if a non-thru hiker comes in and there isn't enough space, you must give them your spot and then pitch your tent "NO MATTER HOW LATE" they show up. If it were compared to the caste system in India, we'd rate right up there with the untouchables.

I think due to mandating shelter use, there are unusually high numbers of rodents in those shelters as well. I've hiked through that stretch using the shelter system and it kinda sucked.

This is a really good reason to hike really long days on the AT through the Park. Show up very late at the full shelter, pitch your tarp, and don't worry about the shelter or all the people and rodents in it. Leave early in the morning and you'll be alone most of the time. That's my experience in one thru hiking season, at least.

JAK
05-20-2009, 13:28
Why would someone want to zoom, with their hair on fire, through the extremely scenic most biodiverse of any National Park Great Smokey Mountain NP in one day??? Absurd! Go down to the local highschool oval if you wish to run with a checkered flag beat the clock mentality. GIVE THESE NATIONAL TREASURES, WHICH WE CALL NATIONAL PARKS, THE TIME AND RESPECT THAT THEY JUSTLY DESERVE.Running is not disrepectful. Humans were created to be extremely capable of both walking and running for extremely long distances, and both are tributes to nature. Deer and coyotes and other creatures also run. Think about it.

modiyooch
05-20-2009, 23:17
I love running in the woods. I'm just not an ultra runner.

fancyfeet
05-21-2009, 00:02

The average NP visitor drives to the overlooks, snaps a few pics, shops in the visitor center and drops their litter. Is this what you mean by respect?

Running is not disrepectful. Humans were created to be extremely capable of both walking and running for extremely long distances, and both are tributes to nature. Deer and coyotes and other creatures also run. Think about it.

Nice put, JAK.

So go, Engine, go. :sun

Cutter185
05-21-2009, 01:43
well we leave tomorrow for Springer and we should be at the smokies in less than a week

we will be taking a shot at this, if not the whole park close to it

see you on the trail

Engine
05-21-2009, 07:10
well we leave tomorrow for Springer and we should be at the smokies in less than a week

we will be taking a shot at this, if not the whole park close to it

see you on the trail

Good luck Cutter, if work didn't get in the way I'd love to go with you. Have a great trip! :D

Engine
05-21-2009, 12:05
So go, Engine, go. :sun

Thank you, training started in earnest this morning with a 3 1/4 hour run on the FT. 11 months to go...:-?

MOWGLI
05-21-2009, 12:23
I remember on day 2 in the Smokies, this young 18 y.o. kid named "The North Wind" passes me like I'm standing still. I asked him where he was coming from. When he said "Fontana Dam", I nearly fell over. :D

JAK
05-21-2009, 13:08
Can't blame you. Wrong direction. ;)

garlic08
05-21-2009, 16:51
Can't blame you. Wrong direction. ;)

Took me a second to get that one. "North Wind"--hah.

LockJaww
05-21-2009, 17:42
The GSMNP is the only actual section of the AT I've hiked. I havent hiked all the trails within the park , but I can say that I've hiked most. Some of them several times. The At as it runs through the Park is hardly indicitive of the rest of the park. There are FAR more beautiful trails IMO. Having done the AT through there , I intend to blue blaze to avoid crowds , shelters etc.
Having been in the Smokies numerous times over a twenty year or so span...and yes being one of those damnable " day hikers"...I have a hard time based on my experience beliving another hiker getting bounced out of a shelter because somebody else shows up...You either fit or you tent. I prefer to stealth camp myself. I gotta tell ya also again based on numerous 3 to 4 time a year trips over 20 years or so...I never once....not even once ...saw a park ranger out on the trail enforcing campsite or any other rules.
As to 70 plus miles in one day.....LOL....

Engine
05-21-2009, 17:55
As to 70 plus miles in one day.....LOL....

For an ultrarunner it's actually not a long distance in 1 day. The Leadville 100, which is tougher when viewed from an elevation gained viewpoint, is usually won in a time of around 18 hours. Look it up...LOL:-?

LockJaww
05-21-2009, 18:14
Engine that wasnt my " you're fulla**** " LOL.....It was more of an old guy headshaking " Why ? "..Lol.....

MOWGLI
05-21-2009, 18:23
Having done the AT through there , I intend to blue blaze to avoid crowds , shelters etc.

Take the Benton MacKaye Trail through the park!! SGT Rock did last year.

MOWGLI
05-21-2009, 18:25
Took me a second to get that one. "North Wind"--hah.

There was no joke really, other than my hiking speed. :p The kid was from Maine and could really hike. We were both going NOBO. In fact, he was laughing that I thought the trail in the south was tough. He said, "wait til you get to New Hampshire and Maine." What did he know? :D

SteveJ
05-21-2009, 18:35
I ran into a guy "Sweeper" on my thru in 2002 who was attempting a sub 24 hour run through the smokies with his father. I think he wound up succeeding the following year. He also graciously fed a bunch of us thru-hikers in the parking lot too!!!

Squeaky is the only one I have heard of that hiked the smokies in one day with a pack and in the midst of a thru hike.

Squeaky: did you do this during your thru- or during the thru- of your triple crown year?

Engine
05-21-2009, 18:47
Engine that wasnt my " you're fulla**** " LOL.....It was more of an old guy headshaking " Why ? "..Lol.....

No problem, as to why, it's the whole because it's there kind of thing.

fiddlehead
05-21-2009, 21:48
For an ultrarunner it's actually not a long distance in 1 day. The Leadville 100, which is tougher when viewed from an elevation gained viewpoint, is usually won in a time of around 18 hours. Look it up...LOL:-?

Yes, and the Leadville 100 starts and finishes at almost 10,000 feet and probably averages about 11,500 throughout it's length.

It has the steepest climb on the CDT in the middle of it (mile 54)
High point: 12,500 at Hope pass (done twice, mile 45 and 55)

Every year, about 20 do it under 24 hours.
Of course there is support aprox every 8 miles including food and drinks.

It's good fun. (if you are in shape)

flemdawg1
05-22-2009, 12:41
Good luck to you Engine. I'm doing my 2nd Trail HM this weekend. I've done 2 marathons and thinking about a 50k next year.

70 miler is definately impressive.

Engine
05-22-2009, 13:53
Good luck to you Engine. I'm doing my 2nd Trail HM this weekend. I've done 2 marathons and thinking about a 50k next year.

70 miler is definately impressive.

If you have a couple marathons in your legs, a 50k would be very doable much sooner than next year. There is a fun 50K in the Croom section of the Withlacoochee State forest near Brooksville, FL in early October. Google the "John Holmes 50K" (no relation to the more famous John Holmes:D). It is very hilly for Florida and to tell you how tough it can be, last year the winning time for 50k was not much under 5 hours. It was really hot and humid though. I got dehydrated and limped in at 6:50, by far my slowest time at that distance. It would be nice to run with you...come on down. :)

Hikes in Rain
05-23-2009, 08:51
Have you? Where? I went to Yosemite last spring in search of one and we could not get it. :confused:

Cumberland Falls (http://parks.ky.gov/findparks/resortparks/cf/), near the South Fork recreational area. The only place on this continent, and only one of two on the planet, that has reliable moonbows.

Mowgli's photo was of Cumberland Falls. I took a similar one, several years ago when I was there, but mine isn't anywhere near that good! To the eye, by the way, it's a ghostly white. Time exposures like that one show the colors.

Squeaky 2
05-24-2009, 16:10
Squeaky: did you do this during your thru- or during the thru- of your triple crown year?

i did the smokies on my thru hike. on the triple crown thru hike it was very tough going. it took me 5 days to get through and my feet were torn up. i was actually so mentally beaten up by that point i was crying as i postholed at less than 1 mph. so a big thanks to the usps for losing my snow shoes!

i would like to see sobo's going for the smokies in a day as one of the trails many challenges, it is very doable with 2000 miles in your legs.

Nean
05-24-2009, 17:21
[quote=fiddlehead;842109]Yes, and the Leadville 100 starts and finishes at almost 10,000 feet and probably averages about 11,500 throughout it's length.

I don't think the CDT goes over the pass anymore FH as I believe its the same as the CT at that point. Reloed for the same reason as Pond Mtn. IMO:(

Sly
05-24-2009, 17:35

Right, you can hike through the park in 5 days with nary a view, so what difference would it make not to get any views for 7 hours at night?

modiyooch
05-24-2009, 19:38
Right, you can hike through the park in 5 days with nary a view, so what difference would it make not to get any views for 7 hours at night?asked and answered

fiddlehead
05-24-2009, 21:43
[quote=fiddlehead;842109]Yes, and the Leadville 100 starts and finishes at almost 10,000 feet and probably averages about 11,500 throughout it's length.

I don't think the CDT goes over the pass anymore FH as I believe its the same as the CT at that point. Reloed for the same reason as Pond Mtn. IMO:(

That's a bummer. Hope pass was One of my favorite parts about the CDT.

As you know, the trail actually went around the lake at twin lakes but most everyone took the ford which was sometimes a deep one. (in the race they tie a rope across as they know you will be pretty tired the 2nd time around)

Of course it's the CDT so, you can do it how you like.

The other thing i like about that area is just south of hope pass, you cross the dirt road and the trail (SOBO) turns right and goes up to that ghost town, but, if you go straight, you can go up to a pass (i think it's called Snow pass ) and there is no trail part of the way, but it's the CDT anyway, and who cares)
It is a very scenic pass and valley and skips that roadwalk up to the ghost town of Winfield.

Anyway, sorry for the thread drift.
I did Newfound gap to Fontana in a day.
I know it's only half of what we are talking about.
But it was in Jan and i finished at 4:30 PM.

Nean
05-25-2009, 18:36
[quote=Nean;842906]

That's a bummer. Hope pass was One of my favorite parts about the CDT.

As you know, the trail actually went around the lake at twin lakes but most everyone took the ford which was sometimes a deep one. (in the race they tie a rope across as they know you will be pretty tired the 2nd time around)

Of course it's the CDT so, you can do it how you like.

The other thing i like about that area is just south of hope pass, you cross the dirt road and the trail (SOBO) turns right and goes up to that ghost town, but, if you go straight, you can go up to a pass (i think it's called Snow pass ) and there is no trail part of the way, but it's the CDT anyway, and who cares)
It is a very scenic pass and valley and skips that roadwalk up to the ghost town of Winfield.

Anyway, sorry for the thread drift.
I did Newfound gap to Fontana in a day.
I know it's only half of what we are talking about.
But it was in Jan and i finished at 4:30 PM.
Of course the pass is still there, but the trail around the lakes (if you don't cut across) and the roadwalk on the southside is longer as the relo gains from mid-lower lake sobo and then contours (mostly (87%)) around the eastern ridge and drops down into a RV park where the trail now crosses the river on a bridge/ public property. Give me Hope.;)
My longest day on the AT was through the last 40 somethin miles of the Smokies. :-? wuz hungry:o

Monkeywrench
05-25-2009, 19:57

Rain, fog, snow. :confused:

Bidwell
06-02-2009, 15:38
I've known quite a few ppl that have attempted it and fewer who have completed it, but it isn't impossible. Completely off the subject, a ~23 yr old ran the Hardrock Hundred miler in the San Juans last year under 24 hours... here is the elevation profile. It's pretty sick.

http://www.ouser.org/images/hr_elev.gif

Engine
06-02-2009, 15:51
I've known quite a few ppl that have attempted it and fewer who have completed it, but it isn't impossible. Completely off the subject, a ~23 yr old ran the Hardrock Hundred miler in the San Juans last year under 24 hours... here is the elevation profile. It's pretty sick.

http://www.ouser.org/images/hr_elev.gif

Yeah, there are quite a few 100 milers that have really difficult profiles. Hardrock, Leadville, Grand Teton, Laramie, Western States, etc...Believe it or not, there is an ultra in Florida called Iron Horse that is darn hard due the lack of a profile. Running for hours on end on dead flat terrain doesn't give any muscles a break and it kinda sucks after a while.

In the end, there is really no such thing as an easy 100 mile run. :)

Bidwell
06-02-2009, 16:18
Ah - my roommate Jon ran the iron horse this year - i think he finished it in just under 22 hours. Said it was a good one!

Mags
06-02-2009, 16:21
Give me Hope.;)

While the Colorado Trail was routed off Hope Pass, IIRC, the CDT still goes over Hope Pass.

I made my own route and walked up to Hope Pass via the Little Willis gulch direct from Twin Lakes on both the CT and the CDT. Made more sense to me. Also, on the CT, rather than follow the low dirt road, I went up the Missouri Gulch to a plateau surrounded by 3 14ers. Much better (if harder) than the official route. (The beauty of Western hiking..make up your own damn route. ;) )

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5992&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=131bca1c68e35a51feeb384ce3769b69

FWIW, I attempted Leadville on a lark 4 yrs ago. I lost 8 lbs in 22 hrs and made ~71 miles before I started blacking out. :eek:

If I did it again, I'd take more goo-type shots more consistently. Oddly enough, I am in a little better shape now than four years ago. The older I get, the better consistent shape I tend to be in (Ski touring avidly in the winter helps a lot, I've been doing upper body work with light weights now for about a year, etc.)

To get this back to the original thread...I don't think I could run the AT in the Smokies per se (I hike fast/run slow), but based on my Leadville experience and my current shape, I think I have a good chance of doing it in 24 hrs.

As for why do it..why not? THe only real "rules" of outdoor activities:

1) Be safe
2) Make sure your activities don't impose upon other people
3) Have fun!

I think a Smokies traverse will be plenty safe, I don't see how it would affect others and it will be very fun for a certain type of person. To quote something attributed to Abe Lincoln :
People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like. :banana

When you thinking of it Engine? A fall romp may be fun... Depends upon my schedule/finances and time...

Dogwood
06-02-2009, 17:44
The average NP visitor drives to the overlooks, snaps a few pics, shops in the visitor center and drops their litter. Is this what you mean by respect?

YES!!! You got it Fancyfeet. Thank You.

Engine
06-02-2009, 19:28
While the Colorado Trail was routed off Hope Pass, IIRC, the CDT still goes over Hope Pass.

I made my own route and walked up to Hope Pass via the Little Willis gulch direct from Twin Lakes on both the CT and the CDT. Made more sense to me. Also, on the CT, rather than follow the low dirt road, I went up the Missouri Gulch to a plateau surrounded by 3 14ers. Much better (if harder) than the official route. (The beauty of Western hiking..make up your own damn route. ;) )

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5992&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=131bca1c68e35a51feeb384ce3769b69

FWIW, I attempted Leadville on a lark 4 yrs ago. I lost 8 lbs in 22 hrs and made ~71 miles before I started blacking out. :eek:

If I did it again, I'd take more goo-type shots more consistently. Oddly enough, I am in a little better shape now than four years ago. The older I get, the better consistent shape I tend to be in (Ski touring avidly in the winter helps a lot, I've been doing upper body work with light weights now for about a year, etc.)

To get this back to the original thread...I don't think I could run the AT in the Smokies per se (I hike fast/run slow), but based on my Leadville experience and my current shape, I think I have a good chance of doing it in 24 hrs.

As for why do it..why not? THe only real "rules" of outdoor activities:

1) Be safe
2) Make sure your activities don't impose upon other people
3) Have fun!

I think a Smokies traverse will be plenty safe, I don't see how it would affect others and it will be very fun for a certain type of person. To quote something attributed to Abe Lincoln :
People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like. :banana

When you thinking of it Engine? A fall romp may be fun... Depends upon my schedule/finances and time...

I had been thinking about April 2010, but to be honest I have been looking for an ultra in the fall to fit my training schedule for Rocky Raccoon in February and haven't found anything that works yet. A nice relaxing 24 hours in the Smokies might be just the ticket in say Late October. :-? :)

Engine
06-02-2009, 19:30
Oh, and by the way Mags. 70+ miles at Leadville is nothing to sneeze at! I might not be able to keep up with you in the Smokies. :)

slow
06-02-2009, 20:01
That would be to easy for Dirt Diva.:sun

Mags
06-02-2009, 20:36
That would be to easy for Dirt Diva.:sun

..but hiking the PCT not-so-much. ;)

Engine, lets keep it as back burner project. I like the idea of Spring..more daylight! But..who knows what can happen in the fall.

fancyfeet
06-02-2009, 20:39

YES!!! You got it Fancyfeet. Thank You.

Just keepin' it real.

slow
06-02-2009, 20:51
..but hiking the PCT not-so-much. ;)

Engine, lets keep it as back burner project. I like the idea of Spring..more daylight! But..who knows what can happen in the fall.

She got sick pulling water thats all,you know that.

I would put HER first to finish WAY ahead of any on this thread BY FAR.;)

Engine
06-02-2009, 21:04

Catra has some inner toughness, there is no quit in her at all. But, I think her dog is faster than she is...:D

Mags
06-02-2009, 21:06
-duplicate..network hiccup..sorry! -

Mags
06-02-2009, 21:08

Probably. No argument there in terms of 24 hr events or so. I'd be screaming for Mommy if I tried to do a top ultra runners pace.

But LD hiking and trail running are two different beasts. One is (generally) short distance with support..one is the long haul with everything on your back. Two different mindsets that don't always translate. (Quite a few ultra runner started off as thru-hikers..I don't know many of the opposite).

Just like ultras and fast marathons are two different beasts.

One is not easier than the other..BUT the skill sets and mentality are different.

Even before the possible bad water, she was averaging 20 miles or so per day due to knee problems . Pretty good..but not burning up the trail. Anyway..'nuff said. Just pointing out the differences in my usual flippant manner. :)

slow
06-02-2009, 21:36
Probably. No argument there in terms of 24 hr events or so. I'd be screaming for Mommy if I tried to do a top ultra runners pace.

But LD hiking and trail running are two different beasts. One is (generally) short distance with support..one is the long haul with everything on your back. Two different mindsets that don't always translate. (Quite a few ultra runner started off as thru-hikers..I don't know many of the opposite).

Just like ultras and fast marathons are two different beasts.

One is not easier than the other..BUT the skill sets and mentality are different.

Even before the possible bad water, she was averaging 20 miles or so per day due to knee problems . Pretty good..but not burning up the trail. Anyway..'nuff said. Just pointing out the differences in my usual flippant manner. :)

Mags ,probably first is wrong...cause you know for a fact...it was bad water.

She was still at 20 like you said ,and very sick,knee..can you do what she did.?

Mags
06-02-2009, 21:46
I really don't want to get into a pissing contest over a sarcastic and flip remark. :) I'm from the Northeast...we are ALWAYS sarcastic and flip. :D

Don't we both have better things to do?

Here..here's a good link for you.
http://foodblogga.blogspot.com/2007/04/what-threat-i-made-you-ricotta-pie.html

I plan on making it for a potluck that is coming up soon. We called it rigott' pie growing up.
(the "C" becomes a "G" in Neapolitan dialect)
Sounds yummy..doesn't it? :D

slow
06-02-2009, 22:03
I really don't want to get into a pissing contest over a sarcastic and flip remark. :) I'm from the Northeast...we are ALWAYS sarcastic and flip. :D

Don't we both have better things to do?

Here..here's a good link for you.
http://foodblogga.blogspot.com/2007/04/what-threat-i-made-you-ricotta-pie.html

I plan on making it for a potluck that is coming up soon. We called it rigott' pie growing up.
(the "C" becomes a "G" in Neapolitan dialect)
Sounds yummy..doesn't it? :D

Mags,no contest at all.:)Still dont think you can cook.:D

fiddlehead
06-02-2009, 22:13
Interesting article here (http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1902027,00.html) about long distance running.

I like the part about keeping the money out of it. (and one of the best has worn the same pair of shoes for 6 years) (he must have gone through a lot of duct tape)

Mags
06-02-2009, 22:21
Mags,no contest at all.:)Still dont think you can cook.:D

No garlic pork roast for you!

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=19846&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=131bca1c68e35a51feeb384ce3769b69

(I hauled in 10 pounds of pork loin on skis and cooked it at 11k ft for a friend's 40th b-day. Screw my hiking accomplishments...hauling in pork roast and cooking it for 16 people is my real accomplishment. :) )

slow
06-02-2009, 22:26

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=19846&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=131bca1c68e35a51feeb384ce3769b69

(I hauled in 10 pounds of pork loin on skis and cooked it at 11k ft for a friend's 40th b-day. Screw my hiking accomplishments...hauling in pork roast and cooking it for 16 people is my real accomplishment. :) )

I must say you are RIGHT...good job.;)

Engine
06-03-2009, 06:58
Interesting article here (http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1902027,00.html) about long distance running.

I like the part about keeping the money out of it. (and one of the best has worn the same pair of shoes for 6 years) (he must have gone through a lot of duct tape)

McDougall wrote a book recently that is getting great reviews among ultra runners. He really does express why it's done better than anyone else.

bigcranky
06-03-2009, 11:54

My favorite -- garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, olive oil. Cut small slits in the top of the roast and push the mixture inside, coating the entire roast with a thick crust. Start at 450 for 10 minutes, then reduce to 275 until it's done.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. I have a couple of pork roasts in the freezer, I need to get one out for the weekend.

Mags
06-03-2009, 12:34
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. I have a couple of pork roasts in the freezer, I need to get one out for the weekend.

That's basically what I did! (I did add a little red pepper). Cook it low and slow on the wood-fired oven.

Good stuff.

flemdawg1
06-03-2009, 14:58
On the oven?

Mags
06-03-2009, 15:16
On the oven?

IN... sorry.

Cutter185
12-16-2009, 00:42
Good luck Cutter, if work didn't get in the way I'd love to go with you. Have a great trip! :D

Just returned to Florida and ive lost most of my pictures from the Smokies. We didnt complete that park in a day, that would be insane without slackpacking/support.

How it shaped up:
Day 6: Wesser Bald to Fontana Dam
Day 7: Fontana Dam to Icewater Shelter
Day 8: Icewater Shelter to Snowbird Mt.