PDA

View Full Version : Take trekking poles!

markinohio
05-18-2009, 08:03
This was undoubtedly the most important piece of gear I had. Using them wasn't even on my radar screen until a friend insisted I borrow his. Wow!
Without them I don't think I could have made the journey. Buy or borrow a pair. Well worth the moderate weight.

Hooch
05-18-2009, 08:07
http://radhikageorge.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/can_of_worms.jpg

Pages
05-18-2009, 08:07
yeah, i agree about poles. great help to this old guy going up and down hills. for flats i just tuck them under side straps of pack.

i even use them here in florida - it seems to help my stride and pace.

TV

seedog
05-18-2009, 08:17
On my first hike of the AT in Maryland I brought along a pair. My friend goofed on me a little, but I'm glad I brought them. They kept me from falling 2-3 times on a rocky portion of the trail. It was like walking on 1/2 buried softballs uphill. I'll always have a set.

Chatter
05-18-2009, 08:23
This was undoubtedly the most important piece of gear I had. Using them wasn't even on my radar screen until a friend insisted I borrow his. Wow!
Without them I don't think I could have made the journey. Buy or borrow a pair. Well worth the moderate weight.

Nothing like provoking the naysayers! Hooch is right. Hasn't there been enough blather on this and other topics of personal preference?

So, here comes yet ANOTHER chance for everyone to throw in their opinions. With any luck, there might even be side-debates about one, two or no poles for use in hiking.

Rather than revisit this thread, I think I'll just refer back to Mags' rules in:

HMHDI!

< www.pmags.com/joomla/pdf/hike...ke-damn-it.pdf >

(500 k for those on dial-up)

Engine
05-18-2009, 08:55
I like em, others don't, who cares really? Just enjoy your hike.

2rjs
05-18-2009, 09:01
I like them but could live without them if I had to. Worth trying at least!

Summit
05-18-2009, 12:48
I'll continue hiking with trekking poles and those who don't want to, don't. I'll reap the benefits they provide with or without the negative comments/advice. I'm glad you discovered them, markinohio!

Blue Jay
05-18-2009, 16:57
Hasn't there been enough blather on this and other topics of personal preference?

Yes, for some strange reason they cannot stop. Unpaid ads should have no place here.

winger
05-18-2009, 17:33
A set of Leki poles was one of the many smart things I've done in my "reborn hiking light conversion". Plus it keeps the upper body working, decreases edema in the hands, gives me a cadence, and has saved my butt many a time from falls and twisted ankles.
Dang, and no response from LW on this one? :-?

Bearpaw
05-18-2009, 17:35
I've used poles for 10 years now, and may go without this summer. My elbow is flaring up with enough pain (I think arthritis from injuries) that I may attach a couple of hand loops to my pack and trundle on. It just plain hurts after poling very long.

Manwich
05-18-2009, 17:52
Look at you guys!!!

"WAAAAAHHH I Fall Down sometimes so I need a stick to keep my upright! Waaaaah"

I bet you wear shoes and bring water too...

Hooch
05-18-2009, 17:58
http://vaultmedia.ign.com/vnboards/2006/other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

mudcap
05-18-2009, 19:47
I love/need them. I am so old my balance is gone.

Mags
05-18-2009, 23:47
[quote=Chatter;840098

Rather than revisit this thread, I think I'll just refer back to Mags' rules in:

HMHDI!

< www.pmags.com/joomla/pdf/hike...ke-damn-it.pdf (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/pdf/hike...ke-damn-it.pdf) >

(500 k for those on dial-up)[/quote]

FTFY:

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Outdoor-Writings/hike-my-hike-damn-it.html

Hiking Poles

Most hikers take the wrong assumption that hiking poles are a personal preference. That one hiking pole, two or even none depends upon the hiker, the terrain or just simply personal preference in a given
situation. Real hikers know better. They HMHDI. I have vague, unproven and very anecdotal evidence that my
view on hiking poles is correct and that others views are wrong. Be a real hiker. Do what I say when it comes to poles. HIKE MY HIKE – DAMN IT!

Dr O
05-19-2009, 01:38
Use poles was the 11th commandment. Moses knew this. :p

Engine
05-19-2009, 06:56
Use poles was the 11th commandment. Moses knew this. :p

Yeah, but every time I throw my poles on the ground they just lay there in the mud. I wait and wait, but no snake...:)

Lone Wolf
05-19-2009, 06:58
Dang, and no response from LW on this one? :-?

what's there to say? poles aren't needed to walk a trail

Engine
05-19-2009, 07:01
what's there to say? poles aren't needed to walk a trail

Neither is a pack, shoes, food, water, etc...But we seem to take those pretty frequently. :-? :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
05-19-2009, 07:03
Neither is a pack, shoes, food, water, etc...But we seem to take those pretty frequently. :-? :rolleyes:

those things are needed if you're walking long distance for hundreds of mile. poles aren't needed :rolleyes:

modiyooch
05-19-2009, 07:36
What year did poles come on the scene? I remembered being shuttled in the late 90s and the gentleman asked me where were my poles. I had no clue what he was talking about. They may have some merit, but I believe it was one heck of a marketing job. I have come this far without them; I'll just tough it out for the remainder. It was odd at trail days when the tent that they were selling required hiking poles. It immediately knocked out that sale for me.

Dr O
05-19-2009, 08:18
What year did poles come on the scene?

God told Moses to carry a staff way back in Genesis 4 :p

modiyooch
05-19-2009, 08:20
God told Moses to carry a staff way back in Genesis 4 :pstaff not poles. I can improvise a find a staff when I need it. can't get water from a rock, though.

Dr O
05-19-2009, 08:23
staff not poles. I can improvise a find a staff when I need it. can't get water from a rock, though.

Wish I could make wine from water :-?

modiyooch
05-19-2009, 08:25
Wish I could make wine from water :-? and with my upcoming trip next week where I have to ford 3 rivers, I wish I could walk on water.......but I'll just pray for a nice day, and tame waters. I've considered taking a pole for that, but I'll just grab a stick if needed.

Tinker
05-19-2009, 09:44
A can of dead horses. :D

flemdawg1
05-19-2009, 12:01
A can of dead horses. :D

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/assets_c/2009/04/DSC02913v-thumb-550x412.jpg

Alli
05-19-2009, 12:32
What year did poles come on the scene? I remembered being shuttled in the late 90s and the gentleman asked me where were my poles. I had no clue what he was talking about. They may have some merit, but I believe it was one heck of a marketing job. I have come this far without them; I'll just tough it out for the remainder. It was odd at trail days when the tent that they were selling required hiking poles. It immediately knocked out that sale for me.

It's to save weight. I assume you're talking about the LightHeart tent. You can't have a double wall tent that's less than 2lbs without scrimping on something, in this case she picked tent poles over quality.

I use poles, they save me as I am super clumsy. HYOH though.

Blue Jay
05-19-2009, 20:50
What year did poles come on the scene?

They are in the Bible and in all cave paintings. I noticed many of you stopping at the Inviso Pole tent at Trail Days. Notice that, unlike at that other pole vendor, there was not a huge staff, repairing hundreds of poles.
Not one single Inviso Pole has EVER needed repair.:banana

Engine
05-19-2009, 20:55
They are in the Bible and in all cave paintings. I noticed many of you stopping at the Inviso Pole tent at Trail Days. Notice that, unlike at that other pole vendor, there was not a huge staff, repairing hundreds of poles.
Not one single Inviso Pole has EVER needed repair.:banana

Correct, but the ocasional Inviso Pole user might need repair that could have been avoided had they used the Viso Poles. But you use your pole in a manner that makes you happy. :sun

Lemni Skate
05-19-2009, 21:17
I had an odd experience with poles.

I was dead set against them until some guy gave me a pair as trail magic and convinced me to try them. I loved them. Everyone in my family fights over who gets to use them.

I can't use them for more than a couple of days, however. My hands go numb. It's like some strange version of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Egads
05-19-2009, 21:20
Slow slanders Mont Bell bags

Tipi disparages the UL movement

and the Bluebird knocks the poles

Some things are pretty constant on Whiteblaze

Egads
05-19-2009, 21:21
I'm not even going to bring up hammocks or dogs :eek:

Dr O
05-19-2009, 21:23
I'm not even going to bring up hammocks or dogs :eek:

water filters :p

Egads
05-19-2009, 21:23
Boy scouts

Summit
05-20-2009, 06:53
Not one single Inviso Pole has EVER needed repair.:bananaThanks to the OP, you still have a purpose in life. Long live the trekking pole wars . . . I would worry about your well being and sanity if the subject disappeared from WB! :p

Christus Cowboy
05-20-2009, 07:58
Thanks to the OP, you still have a purpose in life. Long live the trekking pole wars . . . I would worry about your well being and sanity if the subject disappeared from WB! :p

Slick marketing?... Vital necessity?..... Economic conspiracy to get hiker dollars?..... Medically proven?.... Only for old people?... Blatant trolling attempt?...... Who knows?... Who even cares?.... What can I say?... I'm a trekkie, I find the poles quite useful and they have saved me numerous twisted ankles.....

Mags
05-20-2009, 08:52
I'm a trekkie, .

http://ferzani.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/livelong.jpg

Summit
05-20-2009, 15:26
http://ferzani.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/livelong.jpgRobin Williams added "Nannu nannu!" :D

Engine
05-20-2009, 18:25
Robin Williams added "Nannu nannu!" :D

Which is Morkish for "always carry trekking poles".

Blissful
05-20-2009, 18:35
God told Moses to carry a staff way back in Genesis 4 :p

Oh boy where's the can of worms picture again?

:sun

I like poles myself. They helped me immensely.

Mags
05-20-2009, 19:32
I like poles myself. They helped me immensely.

http://www.polishamericancenter.org/Pictures/pope-new2.jpg

Surplusman
05-21-2009, 04:31
I used a hornbeam hiking staff for years before my leg troubles. Now I use two trekking poles and they are lifesavers for my knees and legs. Plus that my balance isn't what it used to be. It's good, but the two poles make up for the difference. If you have leg probems and aren't using poles, please give them a try.

JAK
05-21-2009, 07:34
clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity ...

JAK
05-21-2009, 07:36
Homemade wooden hiking staff are way cool though. :D

Elder
05-21-2009, 10:11
clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity ...

Yellow Blazer :rolleyes: ?

JAK
05-21-2009, 10:20
I think most would call me a zero blazer as far as the AT is concerned. But you are right I really only hear the clickety clickety on hard paths, like at the Irving Nature Park alot of people walk the road instead of the footpath but its pretty handy ot the footpath and even though the road isn't paved its gravelly and when there is a group of "Nordic Walking" enthusiasts it makes a huge racket, like the other day. They seemed totally entranced. I guess your own pigs don't stink.

Summit
05-21-2009, 17:33
I wonder what twist this trail, er uh, thread will take next? God only knows? :confused: :-?

Egads
05-21-2009, 21:15
I don't think I've met any hiking Poles, but I have passed some Germans on the trail.