PDA

View Full Version : Sad My Longtime Friends Cant Hike!!!!!

PUNKINPUSS11
05-18-2009, 12:06
Hello All Fellow Outdoor Lovers, My Problem Being Is Although I Hear U Meet Hikers Through The Whole Trail, Theres Nothing Like Ur Old Buddies 2 Hike With. Most Of Friends R In Situations Were They R Not Able To Do A Long Hike (ie Work, Moved, Money) And It Is A Huge Decision 2 Start A Long Hike With Someone U Dont Even Know. Im 32, And Really Want 2 Start Planning,but Just Hard For Me 2 Do Without Someone Close 2 Me Participating. I Love Being Around People And Hate Being By Myself. I Think Half The Fun In Hiking Is Sharing Ur Experiences With Someone Who Has Seen The Same Thing. Would Love 2 Hear If Anyone Else Had This Problem. Just Scarred My Dream IsNT Going To Come True.....

max patch
05-18-2009, 12:20
I thru'd "alone" nobo -- there were only 2 days that I didn't see another hiker. And that wasn't until I got to Maine.

sly dog
05-18-2009, 12:36
Hey, I am down the road from ya in Wilkes Barre. I am getting ready to do a 2 week hike starting Saturday. I try to get out as much as I can so if you're gonna be out hiking, let me know, I'll see if I can get out. My brother did his thru in 06 and joins me on section hikes when he can. Some time we'll have to grab a beer an throw the bull. Last year I did CT,NJ and some more of PA. This year it is SNP up to Harpers Ferry, I might get out again but getting married in Oct. and taking 2 weeks for honeymoon so no more longer sections this year, have to wait to next year to do a multi week hike again.

PUNKINPUSS11
05-18-2009, 12:44
Whenever U Wanna Go Let Me Know Even For A Short Hike. Id Like 2 Pick Ur Brain And Get Some Tips...and A Beer Afterwards Sounds Dreamy. Im Planning On Going Somewhere This Saturday Just An Overnighter But If Ur Interested Give Me A Call

Alaskanhkr23
05-18-2009, 12:44
its not bad hiking alone i hate it too,but everyone here tell's me just put one foot before another.Now tomarrow im doing the VT's Long Trail And im really excited

sly dog
05-18-2009, 13:01
This Saturday I will be in Rockfish Gap starting my section hike but when I get back I will get in touch with ya. I wanna go do the back section of PA from Palmerton to DWG on a weekend or split up between 2 weekends. I have most of Pa done but wanna grab these two sections this summer or fall, I'll let ya know.

Blue Jay
05-18-2009, 16:52
I Love Being Around People And Hate Being By Myself. Just Scarred My Dream IsNT Going To Come True.....

The AT is the perfect place to get over this fear. Being able to exist on your own is extremely empowering and will positively affect your entire life. I still get lonely the first night out but after that it passes. A side benefit is a renewed appreciation of people in general, even irritating ones. When something is around all the time it's human nature to take it for granted.

darkage
05-18-2009, 22:03
I enjoy hiking alone, its just peacefull ... But i also enjoy when my brother can get out and hike with me .... we are doing a 2 week section a week from now ... I hike sections of PA almost every weekend ... If you're in need of just a guy to hike and maybe get to know, i'd be game .... Meeting new people is always cool ...

All in the same age group ... =]

Reid
05-18-2009, 23:24
I believe we have similar situations. I only have a few hiking freinds so I end up out there alot by myself. The duration is usually shorter though. I believe that a good long distance hike is best done with some companionship but going solo can enhance the experience in it's own way as well. There's clubs to join everywhere if you just want to find some folks to hike with and they do some trail maintance as well so might even be a good idea for me now that I think of it. I work a good bit myself though.

World-Wide
05-19-2009, 05:58
Hello All Fellow Outdoor Lovers, My Problem Being Is Although I Hear U Meet Hikers Through The Whole Trail, Theres Nothing Like Ur Old Buddies 2 Hike With. Most Of Friends R In Situations Were They R Not Able To Do A Long Hike (ie Work, Moved, Money) And It Is A Huge Decision 2 Start A Long Hike With Someone U Dont Even Know. Im 32, And Really Want 2 Start Planning,but Just Hard For Me 2 Do Without Someone Close 2 Me Participating. I Love Being Around People And Hate Being By Myself. I Think Half The Fun In Hiking Is Sharing Ur Experiences With Someone Who Has Seen The Same Thing. Would Love 2 Hear If Anyone Else Had This Problem. Just Scarred My Dream IsNT Going To Come True.....

Haven't hiked the A.T. but will attempt in 2010. I solo hike here in Okinawa all the time, but when I bring friend's along, I sometimes find it a bit distracting! At first my 3-5 day solo hikes were a quiet and lonely, but I soon began to enjoy the solitude. I'm a social-beast by nature, but really enjoy being out on my own while hiking. From everything I've read (on this site) and watched via DVD documentaries, while on the trail you can meet up with folks when you're lonely, but get out on your own when solitude comes calling!
Good luck :) and BTW, why do you capitalize all the words in your sentences vs. only the first word of every sentence? :-? world-wide

ERNMAN
05-21-2009, 09:36
I live in Pocono Summit PA and hike on the weekends...I ve hiked from Lehigh River up to High Point so far. Im concentrating on finishing up NJ and hopefully making it to the Hudson. Then I will start heading south again from Lehigh to try and complete as much of PA as I can this yr. I ve been going at this alone for the most part, but once in awhile Ill have someone come along. Would like to get together with some one who enjoys what I do. let me know...

ERNMAN
05-21-2009, 09:39
Strangers are just friends you haven t met yet......

JAK
05-21-2009, 10:15
Fences and solo hikes make good neighbours. :)

MOWGLI
05-21-2009, 10:38
Trust me. It is nearly impossible to hike the Appalachian Trail alone if you do a traditional NOBO hike. Ask anyone who has done it. You'd have to really work to be alone.