PDA

View Full Version : canvas bag

pahillbillybear
05-18-2009, 20:40
I wanted to start a new thread concerning making my own backpack, so here goes. I have nothing against ripstop. Everything I've heard about it makes it worthy of a thru hike. But I want to use something a bit more traditional. I can still go fairly light with a canvas bag, I think. Ripstop is just what the name implys. It stops a rip. Canvas threads expand when wet and although the bag may get a bit damp on the interior, it is nothing extreme, unless it is nasty weather. From what I have read about tyvek, it is almost impenetratable by water. I think a canvas bag (and I am going to use lighter weight canvas than I said earlier) with tyvek on the interior will be sufficient. And when my son and I return home to hike the neighboring national forest, we'll both have long lasting light weight canvas bags that are ready to be loaded up again. But as I said before, I'm not knocking rip stop. Also understand, I'm feeling my way around on this thing. I'm a newbie and I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all. I ordered the tyvek today. I'll take some pics and hopefully all will work out.

Foyt20
05-18-2009, 21:51
Have fun:-?

JAK
05-19-2009, 07:39
Are you planning on using the tyvek as a liner or as part of the construction? Just curious. Also wondering what you might try for light weight canvas, old cotton sheets maybe, and if you might be thinking of giving it a light treatment of something to make it absorb less water, like linseed oil or beeswax. I don't know. I've been thinking about making some washable food sacks out of light cotton, or linen, maybe. I still like something to keep the rain out and the food smells down for bears though. Hard to beat silnylon or plastic bags for that.

superman
05-19-2009, 07:45
Have fun re-inventing the wheel.:)

JAK
05-19-2009, 08:04
wheels go round :)

mister krabs
05-19-2009, 09:37
They sure do. Canvas is where modern packs came from. The voyageurs carried canvas packs far and wide, modern versions can be found at duluth pack (http://duluthpack.com/products.aspx?category=Original%20Duluth%20Packs), where they give their fairly good argument (http://duluthpack.com/whycanvas.aspx) for canvas.

I like mine, though not for hiking. It will probably outlast me.

Snowleopard
05-19-2009, 09:55
My first backpacking packs were canvas and they're still usable. They very good because the external frames were lousy. For light weight equipment a frameless rucksack would work well. The canvas is still OK, some of the leather straps are deteriorated. They were very cheap (too cheap).

Take pictures as you're making it and let us know how it turns out.
--Walter

Tinker
05-19-2009, 10:32
Different isn't always better. It's just different.

Blue Jay
05-19-2009, 20:54
Why not do the whole retro thing and add a coon skin hat and leather pants.

Allen1901
06-23-2009, 08:39
I read an old Boy Scout manual a few weeks ago. Back then people were using cotton feed sacks to make packs. Converting Spanish-American War military surplus
haversacks into backpacks was also common.

Cheers!

cwayman1
06-24-2009, 22:28
you know, i HAVE always liked the rustic look of old canvas rucksacks. although i'd say a bit heavier than the one you might end up making, but they always just looked REALLY cool with maybe the leather bottom, draw-string top with flap lid-- the lid locking with a leather strap and awefully perty brass buckle and nice leather padded straps :)

although i'm sure yours will be a bit different, please --as everyone is saying-- post pics :)