PDA

View Full Version : compression stuff bag

Crazy_Al
06-20-2004, 18:17
I have a sleeping quilt, a make-it-yourself quilt, as shown on Thru-Hiker web site. It is made of 1.1 oz ripstop and 2 layers of .8 inch Primaloft.
I can easily roll-it up to the size of 9 inch diameter and about 20 inches wide. If I used a compression stuff bag, what size should I get ????
What size and brand stuff bag should I use ????

Rambler
06-24-2004, 13:26
For a thru-hiker quilt stuffed with down, I use a 14"h x 10"w stuff sack with a 3" collar. It is 22" around the middle (circumference) when full. A size small compression sack from Granite Gear, measuring 10" x 16", and with a round bottom, compresses the quilt to a ball 24" around the middle, 26" around the ends. Assuming the primaloft does not compress quite as small, a 12 x 16 stuff sack would be good. That's what I use for a Ray Jardin design quilt with primaloft, but rectangular in shape. From Ed Speer's book on Hammock camping, to get a 10x15" sack, start with material 20.5" x 16.5". I would recommend building in a collar, so allow for that. Use a felled seam instead of a striaght seam, and put a gromet into it for your pull cord. The Granite Gear compression sacks are light, probaly silnylon, and you have to waterproof the seams. The small size would fit your quilt.
http://www.moonbowgear.com/1trailgear/5Accesories/compressionsak/compressionstuffsaks.html