PDA

View Full Version : Damascus, STILL the Friendliest Trail Town

Chaco Taco
05-18-2009, 21:47
Like Lone Wold said, For those that bashed Damascus and skipped Traildays this year based on rumors, you really missed out.
From the locals to the police force, the courtesy extended to all of the visitors this past weekend was amazing. The Vibe was incredible and everyone had a great time. Thank You Damascus!
http://www.pixabella.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/clip-art-free.png

2rjs
05-19-2009, 07:54
I agree, Damascus is a great town!

Hooch
05-19-2009, 07:58
Another big thumbs up for Damascus, the naysayers and detractors don't have the first idea what they're talking about. Trail Days was great this year! The locals and merchants were friendly and helpful, no problems that I noticed. I'm definitely looking forward to going back again next year! See y'all there. :banana

elray
05-19-2009, 08:00
I had a ball! Thank you Damascus and all of you that pitched in to make it a great time!

modiyooch
05-19-2009, 08:23
I was impressed with the foot clinic. don't find that very much.

Buzz_Lightfoot
05-19-2009, 14:27
I don't know how to start so I will just jump right in...

I have been a backpacker since the 1970's and have always loved it.

I've wanted to come to TD since I first heard of it. Work and other things conspired against my going. Work is sucking out my soul. My wife injured her back and can no longer sleep on the ground. Rather than go alone (and leave her alone which I feel is just WRONG) I have been not getting out. She keeps insisting it is OK and that I should get out on the trail. I've finally started to listen.

I decided on the spur of the moment that "This is the year I go to TD!" I went online and printed all the info I could find. I nearly changed my mind when I realized just how FAR the drive was going to be! :eek: In the end I packed my gear into the jeep and started the long, over night drive.

I arrlived a bit before the official opening of tent city and was a little down. After the long drive I was over-tired and just wanted to put up my tent and catch some sleep! Nervously, I walked up to a police car and asked, expecting to be given a hard time for being early. His response was "Oh, we're just setting up! Come on over to the table!'

This was the pattern for my whole stay. Everyeone was extrordinarily friendly and helpful! From the policemen who were not bullies but genuinely friendly individuals to the waitress who brought me a second soda with my lunch without asking.

I am not an outgoing person. I find it very hard to just walk up to a stranger and strike up a conversation. It's just my nature. That being said the whole TD experience was so favorable that I relaxed ehoungh that when handed some maracas around the drum circle on Friday night I did not hand them back or pass them on, I played them for hours!

Thanks Damascus, you're a great town!

BL

nufsaid
05-19-2009, 15:12
Like Lone Wold said, For those that bashed Damascus and skipped Traildays this year based on rumors, you really missed out.
From the locals to the police force, the courtesy extended to all of the visitors this past weekend was amazing. The Vibe was incredible and everyone had a great time. Thank You Damascus!

Maybe the problem dopers were scared away. They seem to be chronic complainers that feel entitled to special treatment.

vonfrick
05-19-2009, 15:40
I don't know how to start so I will just jump right in...

I have been a backpacker since the 1970's and have always loved it.

I've wanted to come to TD since I first heard of it. Work and other things conspired against my going. Work is sucking out my soul. My wife injured her back and can no longer sleep on the ground. Rather than go alone (and leave her alone which I feel is just WRONG) I have been not getting out. She keeps insisting it is OK and that I should get out on the trail. I've finally started to listen.

I decided on the spur of the moment that "This is the year I go to TD!" I went online and printed all the info I could find. I nearly changed my mind when I realized just how FAR the drive was going to be! :eek: In the end I packed my gear into the jeep and started the long, over night drive.

I arrlived a bit before the official opening of tent city and was a little down. After the long drive I was over-tired and just wanted to put up my tent and catch some sleep! Nervously, I walked up to a police car and asked, expecting to be given a hard time for being early. His response was "Oh, we're just setting up! Come on over to the table!'

This was the pattern for my whole stay. Everyeone was extrordinarily friendly and helpful! From the policemen who were not bullies but genuinely friendly individuals to the waitress who brought me a second soda with my lunch without asking.

I am not an outgoing person. I find it very hard to just walk up to a stranger and strike up a conversation. It's just my nature. That being said the whole TD experience was so favorable that I relaxed ehoungh that when handed some maracas around the drum circle on Friday night I did not hand them back or pass them on, I played them for hours!

Thanks Damascus, you're a great town!

BL

i know lots of nutjobs who swear by their hammocks. (jk guys, you know i love you) you should look into it for her!

Chaco Taco
05-19-2009, 15:50
Maybe the problem dopers were scared away. They seem to be chronic complainers that feel entitled to special treatment.

Nah even the "heads" were in good spririts.

Jim Adams
05-19-2009, 18:02
The chronic dopers were there...the whiners weren't!:cool:

geek

Chaco Taco
05-19-2009, 18:03

geek

Stop posting from work:D

Mother's Finest
05-19-2009, 18:07
I am interested in learning more about this Foot Clinic someone posted about

peace
mf

Jim Adams
05-19-2009, 18:14
Stop posting from work:D

I have to slack somewhere...it won't be at the party!:D

geek

reddog176
05-19-2009, 19:13
Nah even the "heads" were in good spririts.

Head? Who said head?

-Gadget

modiyooch
05-19-2009, 19:17
I am interested in learning more about this Foot Clinic someone posted about

peace
mf at the freee health screening they checked bp, blood panel, body fat, and feet. The form asked if you wanted to talk to a dr. Since I'm not currently hiking or having problems, I didn't venture over to the foot treatment area, but I'm sure they treated their share of feet. I had infected feet after my first outing.

TOW
05-19-2009, 19:33
From my corner of Damascus Trail Days was great. All I had was one problem hiker that kept using the phone and would not get off when others wanted it. He finally got the message.

What is funny though is all weekend these hikers would come and say hi to me that I apparently had met before expecting me to totally remember them. I do not know how many times I explained to someone that hikers just become a blurr after awhile.

However I do enjoy meeting each one and seeing them again and sometimes someone will come by that I remember because I experienced a connection to them before.

I did not get around much because I worked all weekend but I had fun.

Buzz_Lightfoot
05-19-2009, 19:51
i know lots of nutjobs who swear by their hammocks. (jk guys, you know i love you) you should look into it for her!

I bought a Hennessy Hammock while there. :) I just got finished doing a test setup in my back yard. I showed it to her. All I can say is "There's hope!":p

BL

Chaco Taco
05-19-2009, 20:03
I bought a Hennessy Hammock while there. :) I just got finished doing a test setup in my back yard. I showed it to her. All I can say is "There's hope!":p

BL

There you go man. Thats what its all about:D

nufsaid
05-19-2009, 22:17

geek

Yep, not all dopers are bad people.