PDA

View Full Version : Small dog carrying device

zoidfu
05-20-2009, 17:17
Hello all-

I just adopted a 10 year old blind and mostly deaf chihuahua 2 days ago from the Humane Society and I'd like to take him on some of my trips and show him a good time with the little time he has left. He doesn't "leash-walk" more than 5 steps at at time so I carry him mostly(he's a runt and he weighs about 10lbs max). Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations as far as slings or small packs go so I can carry him while hiking? Something I can still wear and carry him in the front if I'm wearing my backpack.

berninbush
05-20-2009, 17:21
The most popular carrying device for chihuahuas seems to be a purse. ;)

It's fantastic that you want to take care of an old dog and show him a good time. But I wonder, how much of the trail will he experience if he's blind and mostly deaf? I suppose he can still smell. I'd think you would want to be careful, though, to protect him from heat, cold, and dehydration.

Ten years is actually not very old for a chihuahua... little dogs tend to live longer. Sounds like he got the shallow end of the gene pool.

zoidfu
05-20-2009, 17:26
Haha, I've heard that joke about 5 times now, even from my mom:D

Yeah, I've noticed that he get's cold easily and I bought him a warm sweater and I plan on taking a fleece blanket too.

He might be the perfect camping dog- He's light, his supplies are light, he doesn't bark at all, he sticks to 10ft perimeter from wherever I am, his top speed is about 5 inches an hour, he doesn't potty in his "living area," and he sleeps a lot. I don't anticipate many problems and I wouldn't take him out on any really long hikes, just one nighters or a weekend.

Any input to the contrary is appreciated so don't hold back.

And yes, 10 isn't very old for one but I think he prematurely aged due to either living in a tiny box at the shelter since november or maybe his previous owners didn't take good care of him. He was also a stray so I don't know how long he was out on his own.

The Old Fhart
05-20-2009, 18:20
I had to check to see if this was a humor thread because I don't know anyone in their right mind that would subject an old impaired dog to the rigors of the trail to gratify their own 'needs'. Absolutely amazing.

zoidfu
05-20-2009, 18:33
I had to check to see if this was a humor thread because I don't know anyone in their right mind that would subject an old impaired dog to the rigors of the trail to gratify their own 'needs'. Absolutely amazing.

Yeah, the rigors of being carried a mile or two and then hanging out at a campsite:rolleyes: I suppose he could just stay in his tiny cage at the humane society....

My own needs... My need to carry a small dog? My need to keep constant attention on a small dog? The need to take a small dog that can't alert me to anything? Tell me, what are my needs.

My dog happens to be an old fhart too. Don't you think you'd like a little something different in your last months? If you have a specific concern, name it. I'm not in the mood for your usual **** act.

cowboy nichols
05-20-2009, 18:36
Check the childrens section, I use a small kids backpack for my chihuahua, she loves it and if I set it out on the bed she is in it ready to go. 10 yrs. is not old and he will enjoy the smells and sounds, Everyone tells me I'm nuts to hike with my dogs, I like them a h*ll of a lot better than most people and they give me more enjoyment . Paws and enjoy!!!

The Old Fhart
05-20-2009, 18:42
zoidfu-"Don't you think you'd like a little something different in your last months?"Sure, like being jostled in something smaller than a crate for the whole day, possibly in the rain. If you have any feelings for this dog, give up on this truly mindless plan. There are laws against animal cruelty. Start thinking of the dog and not just yourself.

Two Speed
05-20-2009, 18:48
Old Fhart, this ain't a debate forum. You've said your piece, so now let it go, please.

zoidfu
05-20-2009, 18:49
Sure, like being jostled in something smaller than a crate for the whole day, possibly in the rain. If you have any feelings for this dog, give up on this truly mindless plan. There are laws against animal cruelty. Start thinking of the dog and not just yourself.

OMFG!!!!!!! Rain!!!! He might melt!! :rolleyes:

He's still a dog, not a witch. He can get wet just like any other dog. In fact, he likes swimming and that's good because it's the only way I can think of to exercise him. I would dry him off and keep him warm just like someone would do with any other dog.

He happens to enjoy being carried like a baby(he realizes that he doesn't have a choice). I don't plan on jostling him. Ideally, I'd like a sling that I can also stabilize with one hand. You really think I'd just let him jackhammer my chest for hours on end? Are you drunk? This isn't my first or only dog.

I think you have the wrong idea about my trip plans with him. It won't be more than a half hour walk at my speed and I'd slow down if I have to. I don't plan on sectioning with him.

zoidfu
05-20-2009, 18:51
Old Fhart, this ain't a debate forum. You've said your piece, so now let it go, please.

Ehhhh, it's just old fhart being old fhart. I'm always up for a debate anyway.

Engine
05-20-2009, 18:57
Zoidfu, it seems that sometimes your mere presence gets some folks dander up. You must be a really horrible guy, what with adopting the dog no one else wanted only to be accused of cruelty to animals for wanting to show the little guy a good time.

:clap I applaud the sacrifice on your part.

Two Speed
05-20-2009, 18:57
Ehhhh, it's just old fhart being old fhart. I'm always up for a debate anyway.That's fine, but this forum ain't the place for a debate. Please read the sticky (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16259) at the top of the forum.

zoidfu
05-20-2009, 18:58
Zoidfu, it seems that sometimes your mere presence gets some folks dander up. You must be a really horrible guy, what with adopting the dog no one else wanted only to be accused of cruelty to animals for wanting to show the little guy a good time.

I think I'm going to rent a dunking booth for Trail Days next year. All proceeds will go to charity. I'm serious about this... but I'll have to piss off people for an entire year so there is a downside...

Two Speed
05-20-2009, 19:00
Oh, you probably could have done that this year.

Just sayin'.

Good luck with the dog.

Two Speed
05-20-2009, 19:10
Speaking of dogs my mutt is looking at me with the "don't we go for a walk at the park about now" look so I'm outta here for a while. Have fun, but don't splash too much, please.

bigcranky
05-20-2009, 19:14
When our daughter was born we carried her around in a fabric sling that went over one shoulder and across the torso like a bandoleer. The fabric was wide enough that she fit completely inside if she wanted. It was easy to carry and use. Not sure what it was called.

Egads
05-20-2009, 19:28
Salomon Raid Revo 20

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22077&catid=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=9622&cutoffdate=-1

Dr O
05-20-2009, 19:38
I suppose one of the is out of the question...

http://www.manbottle.com/pictures/cat%20carrier.gif

zoidfu
05-20-2009, 19:41
lol... the well mannered creature that god intended...

zoidfu
05-20-2009, 19:44
Salomon Raid Revo 20

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22077&catid=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=9622&cutoffdate=-1

That's pretty sweet but I don't think he'd like to ride like that. He likes to lay on his back like a baby. Nice suggestion though

cowboy nichols
05-20-2009, 19:45

I Ditto that:banana:banana:banana

zoidfu
05-20-2009, 19:58
It's really not much of a sacrifice. He was nearly free, he sleeps a lot, he doesn't get into trouble, he's quiet, and I got lucky in that he doesn't "use the bathroom" inside and he can hold it. It's so simple- set him down in the grass and he goes. Carpet, he holds it.

The real sacrifice is being made by our 2 year old jug, Ranger, who isn't used to not getting 100% of the attention. But he likes Nemo and likes having another colleague so it's all good.

shelterbuilder
05-20-2009, 20:15
When our daughter was born we carried her around in a fabric sling that went over one shoulder and across the torso like a bandoleer. The fabric was wide enough that she fit completely inside if she wanted. It was easy to carry and use. Not sure what it was called.

Yeah, we had one (30+ years ago) for our son - I think that they were made by Gerry - it sticks in my mind that they were called "the Sit-Sling" or something to that effect.

vonfrick
05-20-2009, 21:50
http://www.smh.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1056825450123_2003/07/02/legallyblonde2.jpg

zoidfu
05-20-2009, 22:55
Yeah, I'm excited to hike in my pink ensemble

JAK
05-21-2009, 07:40
Maybe Kilt and Sporran, a Pooch Pouch as it were. :D

mister krabs
05-21-2009, 08:05
I think a broken arm sling would be good and pretty light. It's even made to carry in the right position. Maybe with a strut across the top to keep him from getting smushed. I bet you could make one with a fat tent stake and a couple of grommets. A baby sling would work pretty well too. You could even make one out of an old sheet or tent fabric, cut it out like a small hammock and knot it over your shoulder.

World-Wide
05-21-2009, 08:08
Hello all-

I just adopted a 10 year old blind and mostly deaf chihuahua 2 days ago from the Humane Society and I'd like to take him on some of my trips and show him a good time with the little time he has left. He doesn't "leash-walk" more than 5 steps at at time so I carry him mostly(he's a runt and he weighs about 10lbs max). Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations as far as slings or small packs go so I can carry him while hiking? Something I can still wear and carry him in the front if I'm wearing my backpack.

Good on you for adopting the pup. I've rescued many cats/dogs, got them vaccinated/micro-chipped and then found good family's for them. Good luck on taking him on the trail! My father has a Chihuahua and it barely wieghs 2 lbs. Does your pup really weigh almost 10lbs? :eek: Loss of eye-sight would probably point to diabetes if he really weighed 10lbs. :-?

Rouen
05-21-2009, 16:09
seems dog slings are actually quite popular, you can even get them in patterns to match your wardrob.
http://www.makeatailwag.com/category_64/Pet-Carriers--Dog-Slings.htm

Gaiter
05-21-2009, 16:14
here ya go....
http://www.doggiecarriers.com/images/products/front--back-packs/dog-carriers--bags/pkboucle2sm.jpg

zoidfu
05-21-2009, 16:21
I just bought an ace bandage brand arm sling. So far so good- He fits easily and he seems to be comfortable. I'll still probably upgrade just like every other piece of gear though:cool:

Engine
05-21-2009, 16:23
I just bought an ace bandage brand arm sling. So far so good- He fits easily and he seems to be comfortable. I'll still probably upgrade just like every other piece of gear though:cool:

Pics dude, lets see the little guy.

zoidfu
05-21-2009, 16:24
I think a broken arm sling would be good and pretty light. It's even made to carry in the right position. Maybe with a strut across the top to keep him from getting smushed. I bet you could make one with a fat tent stake and a couple of grommets. A baby sling would work pretty well too. You could even make one out of an old sheet or tent fabric, cut it out like a small hammock and knot it over your shoulder.

You get a gold star!
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p306/zoidfu2_bucket/images-9.jpg

zoidfu
05-21-2009, 16:28
Pics dude, lets see the little guy.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p306/zoidfu2_bucket/Picture009.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p306/zoidfu2_bucket/Picture007.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p306/zoidfu2_bucket/Picture006.jpg

Engine
05-21-2009, 16:37
He's not bad looking for an old blind nearly deaf dog. :D

He looks pretty happy, ya done good.

zoidfu
05-21-2009, 16:43
He's not bad looking for an old blind nearly deaf dog. :D

He looks pretty happy, ya done good.

Yeah, it's a wonder what some love, a bath, so room to roam, and getting decent food will do.

leeki pole
05-21-2009, 16:46
Kudos to Zoidfu.:bananaI always wanted to do the dancing banana. And Mr. Fhart, I thought you were just a cranky old man. Wow, proved me wrong.:rolleyes:

berninbush
05-21-2009, 18:03
Sweet looking doggie. :) He looks big for a chihuahua though. Maybe part something else, terrier-ish?

From the reflection from his eyes, I wonder if he has cataracts. Dogs get 'em, just like humans, and they don't always have to be very old.

Hope you enjoy many good hikes together. :)

vonfrick
05-21-2009, 21:36
:sunhe's adorable...who's the other guy?

sheepdog
05-21-2009, 21:40
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/1118F0NBGZL._SL250_.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)
How about this???
Works for those wiennie dogs.

Wise Old Owl
05-21-2009, 22:07
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=18646&catid=member&orderby=views&direction=DESC&imageuser=11552&cutoffdate=-1

After you pack your pack leave a little room in the top put the camp towel across the top and bring the zippers up from both sides They just don't mind.

zoidfu
05-21-2009, 23:00
Sweet looking doggie. :) He looks big for a chihuahua though. Maybe part something else, terrier-ish?

From the reflection from his eyes, I wonder if he has cataracts. Dogs get 'em, just like humans, and they don't always have to be very old.

Hope you enjoy many good hikes together. :)

Everyone keeps saying that so it's probably true but you never know with the humane society's info. I think he's older than 10 too. He's going to the vet tuesday so maybe I can get a more definitive answer to both questions.

Yup, he has cataracts. I'll be looking into his options but he's probably too old for surgery.

zoidfu
05-21-2009, 23:02
:sunhe's adorable...who's the other guy?
That's our other dog, Ranger. He's a 2 year old jug.

Rich219
05-22-2009, 00:06
I have a chihuahua that hikes with me all the time. I think it would be hard to find a better trail dog. Anyway, look at getting a sling, the kind for a broken arm, to let you chi ride in. Mine is only 4lbs so he fits in it perfect if needed but he seems to be comfortable in one of those. My dog walks 95% of the time but occasionally he'll like to be carried for a while. Great choice adopting.