PDA

View Full Version : GoLite Ultra 20+

Speakeasy
05-20-2009, 17:50
Just wondering if anyone has any info. about this bag. I'm in the market for a reasonably priced down bag for my 2010 NOBO. Any bag suggestions would be greatly appreciated...:-?

Nrvana

Engine
05-20-2009, 18:40
Just wondering if anyone has any info. about this bag. I'm in the market for a reasonably priced down bag for my 2010 NOBO. Any bag suggestions would be greatly appreciated...:-?

Nrvana

Define reasonably priced. The old adage about the happiness of a good deal wearing off long before the joy of owning a well made product (extreme paraphrase, sorry) always holds true. With that in mind, and especially with sleeping bags, I would highly recommend looking at a Western Mountaineering or Montbell bag. They are really the best of the best and you won't regret the extra hundred or so dollars in the long run. I know people who have had WM bags for 20+ years and still rave about them.

Speakeasy
05-20-2009, 18:58
Define reasonably priced. The old adage about the happiness of a good deal wearing off long before the joy of owning a well made product (extreme paraphrase, sorry) always holds true. With that in mind, and especially with sleeping bags, I would highly recommend looking at a Western Mountaineering or Montbell bag. They are really the best of the best and you won't regret the extra hundred or so dollars in the long run. I know people who have had WM bags for 20+ years and still rave about them.

By reasonably priced I mean between $200 - 300

Engine
05-20-2009, 18:59
By reasonably priced I mean between $200 - 300

Then you can afford a WM or Montbell, they can both be had at the upper end of that range. I have a WM Caribou that might just be the greatest piece of kit I have ever owned. :D

Mags
05-20-2009, 19:20
I have a GoLite Adrenaline bag courtesy of the annual warehouse sale here in town.

I paid $175 for it. For that price, it is a good, not great bag.

I will say it is very warm, but does not have the attention to detail like the Feathered Friends bag I had used for X amount of miles (Even with a new down infusion in 2002, the FF bag is more like a 30F bag now. No complaints, I received my money's worth out of it!) The GoLite bag has stitching that is fraying, gets snagged, etc. If I paid full retail for the bag, I'd be a tad pissed ($300!) For $175? Not so much.

Having said all that, if you can afford $300 or so, spend the extra money for a Feathered Friends or Western Mountaineering bag. With the risk of having some car geek take another potshot at me, I'll just say it is like asking do you prefer Mercedes or BMW? Both are excellent, well made bags that will last for many years. My Feathered Friends Hummingbird lasted me for a decade of very hard use. I don't see my GoLite bag lasting that long and with that kind of use' then again, I paid $175 for it. :)

(After some google searching, looks like you can pick up the GoLite bags pretty cheap now compared to full retail of late 2006. Still retails for almost as much as the FF or WM unless you buy it on sale, though)

Miner
05-24-2009, 00:51
The Golite ULTRA 20 is a sleeping QUILT, not a sleeping bag. There is no use compariing it to a WM since they don't make quilts. The attraction for many to the GoLite Ultra 20 is its low weight. If you want to compare other similar items to it, it would be those made by Jacks R Better or Nanatak.

I bought last years version and have used it in most conditions including snow on a 10K Ft saddle while under a tarp. I don't know what changes they made to it this year, but the one I have is a bit light on the insulation for a 20F bag though I find it adequate as I've been down into the teens with it in high winds. Its what I'm using to hike the PCT right now and I've been mostly happy with it.

Mags
05-24-2009, 02:32
The Golite ULTRA 20 is a sleeping QUILT, not a sleeping bag.

Dude..the OP said bag. He may have meant bag..or a quilt. :)

Regardless, I still stand by my assertion for GoLite sleeping equipment (How's that for covering the bases ?!?!. ;) )..you are better off with another company IMO based on owning one. Buy from a smaller company..the attention to detail is going to be better.

Speakeasy
05-24-2009, 10:24
Thanks for all the input:) I've decided to go with a Montbell UL Super Stretch Down Hugger #2 . The price and the weight seem to be in my ball park..

Nrvana:cool:

Speakeasy
05-24-2009, 11:34
Ok. I lied. I'm torn between the Montbell UL Super Stretch Down Hugger #2 and the WM Ultralight. I'm leaning towards the WM - 5 degrees more warmth for an extra $75 or so seems like a wise decision...

skinewmexico
05-26-2009, 01:23
Buy American.