PDA

View Full Version : Straight forward, need advice from the pros

gregp
05-20-2009, 21:43
I am a total noob to hiking. Not the outdoors as I am an avid camper, just the hiking standpoint. I have several questions for those in the know.

First off, I have decided to hike two segments of the trail in mid July. I am going to start at Fontana Dam and hike north until either I have accomplished my goal, or I turn around to lack of fitness.

I'm looking for real insight here as to the trail and the difficulty. Water sources? Wildlife? Ability for a 39 year old new to the hiking scene guy to make it?

Thank you for listening.

Greg

gregp
05-20-2009, 21:52
I wanted to add a bit more info to my original post.

My plan is to enter the trail at Fontana, and hike two segments. Then turn around and hike back to my car as I will be alone on this trip.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Egads
05-20-2009, 21:55
Can I suggest a different trip? Hike the Standing Indian loop. More water, more bail out points, easier hike. Your car is never more than ~6-8 miles away downhill from the trail.

BTW, there are very few Pros on the trail

gregp
05-20-2009, 22:00
Can I suggest a different trip? Hike the Standing Indian loop. More water, more bail out points, easier hike. Your car is never more than ~6-8 miles away downhill from the trail.

You certainly may and I will definitely look into this.

How far north from the dam is this segment. How are the views? How's the camping?

I'm a total noob friend. Any advice is good advice to me. Especially from you guys.

I am determined.

HikerRanky
05-20-2009, 22:02
I am a total noob to hiking. Not the outdoors as I am an avid camper, just the hiking standpoint. I have several questions for those in the know.

First off, I have decided to hike two segments of the trail in mid July. I am going to start at Fontana Dam and hike north until either I have accomplished my goal, or I turn around to lack of fitness.

I'm looking for real insight here as to the trail and the difficulty. Water sources? Wildlife? Ability for a 39 year old new to the hiking scene guy to make it?

Thank you for listening.

Greg

Greg,

First of all, welcome to WhiteBlaze!:welcome
Secondly, how would YOU rate your physical fitness right now?

The section of the AT coming up out of Fontana Dam is not the most strenuous section of the trail, but it is a bit of a challenge. The visitor center at the dam is 1700' and Shuckstack Mountain is at 3800'. You will reach that elevation in 4.4 miles of hiking... In another 4.5 miles you will be at 4520'.

My personal recommendation would be a SOBO (southbound trip) from Clingman's Dome to Fontana Dam. That way you will be going downhill for the most part. Of course, others may have a better idea.

I would also recommend that you read some of the articles under the Thru Hiking Info section up in the navigation at the top... Lots of experience in those articles.

Again, welcome to WhiteBlaze and we'll see you on the trail!

Randy

gregp
05-20-2009, 22:11
Greg,

First of all, welcome to WhiteBlaze!:welcome
Secondly, how would YOU rate your physical fitness right now?

The section of the AT coming up out of Fontana Dam is not the most strenuous section of the trail, but it is a bit of a challenge. The visitor center at the dam is 1700' and Shuckstack Mountain is at 3800'. You will reach that elevation in 4.4 miles of hiking... In another 4.5 miles you will be at 4520'.

My personal recommendation would be a SOBO (southbound trip) from Clingman's Dome to Fontana Dam. That way you will be going downhill for the most part. Of course, others may have a better idea.

I would also recommend that you read some of the articles under the Thru Hiking Info section up in the navigation at the top... Lots of experience in those articles.

Again, welcome to WhiteBlaze and we'll see you on the trail!

Randy

Thank you very much my friend.

I'm in decent shape, but have been training at my local state park on a five mile loop to gain more strength and stamina.

My thoughts were to take it on the chin and battle uphill while having the option just to turn it around if I run out of gas. I've taken the elevation changes and rigor into my plans and am trying to train accordingly.

As far as reading this site, well I've been doing so for a couple of weeks now, but have haven't read a whole lot in the through hiking section. I'll definitely take your advice.

Thanks bro

Greg

Skidsteer
05-20-2009, 22:17
You certainly may and I will definitely look into this.

How far north from the dam is this segment. How are the views? How's the camping?

I'm a total noob friend. Any advice is good advice to me. Especially from you guys.

I am determined.

It's South(about 60-80 miles South depending on where you get on the loop) of the dam. Good views from Standing Indian and Albert Mtn, Good camping and water throughout.

gregp
05-20-2009, 22:22
It's South(about 60-80 miles South depending on where you get on the loop) of the dam. Good views from Standing Indian and Albert Mtn, Good camping and water throughout.

I will definitely look into this.

Thank you bro.

Greg

ARambler
05-20-2009, 23:19
Does two segments, in and out, mean 4 days total?

There is a special sign-in for thur hikers in the spring. I think in July you will need a permit to stay in the shelters. You should probably consider another section of the trail for a "true" AT experience.

If you don't want an out an back, Jeff and Nancy (near Fontana) do lots of shutttling of section hikers.

Rambler

ARambler
05-20-2009, 23:23
By "true" I meant the ability to hike as long as you feel good and then camp. In the Park you will need to push to your reservation.
Rambler

10-K
05-21-2009, 07:03

I remember Albert Mountain....

Now that I've hiked the actual trail if I ever go up Albert Mountain again it's the road for me! ;)

Groucho
05-21-2009, 12:07

Thank you for listening.

Greg

How long a trip, in days and/or miles do you plan? I'm nor certain of your definition of a segment. I may have missed something.

Shutterbug
05-21-2009, 12:08

Thank you for listening.

Greg

Greg, I don't call myself a "pro" but I am certainly an experienced hiker. Hiking is as much mental as it is physical. If you start out with a serious doubt that you can reach your goal, you probably won't.

My advice is to rethink your goal. Hiking shouldn't just be about reaching a certain destination. It should be about enjoying your time on the trail. Sure you should have a planned destination, but if something happens that shortens your hike, don't consider it a failure. Value the hike anyway.

My advice --
1. Pay attention to the weight of your pack. The lighter the better.
2. Don't plan for long distances until you are confident of your limits -- about 8 miles a day is a reasonable goal in mountains.
3. Stop often to enjoy the scenery. Take a lot of pictures to preserve your memories.
4. Drink a lot of water. If you sweat a lot, add Propel or something like it to your water to replace the electrolytes.
5. Protect your feet. Don't let blisters develop. If you get "hot spots" stop and treat them before they become blisters.

I was older than 39 when I got serious about hiking. You will enjoy it.

gregp
05-21-2009, 19:59
Does two segments, in and out, mean 4 days total?

There is a special sign-in for thur hikers in the spring. I think in July you will need a permit to stay in the shelters. You should probably consider another section of the trail for a "true" AT experience.

If you don't want an out an back, Jeff and Nancy (near Fontana) do lots of shutttling of section hikers.

Rambler

Yes, four days are all I have to commit to this trip. I may be able to go longer in the fall. Will depend on work.

Jeff and Nancy? Sorry, I'm a total noob. Do they do this shuttle service for anyone? This is very intriguing.

Thanks for the info friend.

Greg

gregp
05-21-2009, 20:02
How long a trip, in days and/or miles do you plan? I'm nor certain of your definition of a segment. I may have missed something.

No, I'm sure I used the wrong terminology. Here is the site I have been using to explore my options.Link (http://www.trails.com/activity.aspx?area=10131#trailid=HGD077-019&lat=35.54667&lon=-83.79028&zoom=8&m=terrain&a=HK)

I was under the impression that each one was a well known starting position and chose to call each a segment. Should I have said section?

Greg

gregp
05-21-2009, 20:17
Greg, I don't call myself a "pro" but I am certainly an experienced hiker. Hiking is as much mental as it is physical. If you start out with a serious doubt that you can reach your goal, you probably won't.

My advice is to rethink your goal. Hiking shouldn't just be about reaching a certain destination. It should be about enjoying your time on the trail. Sure you should have a planned destination, but if something happens that shortens your hike, don't consider it a failure. Value the hike anyway.

My advice --
1. Pay attention to the weight of your pack. The lighter the better.
2. Don't plan for long distances until you are confident of your limits -- about 8 miles a day is a reasonable goal in mountains.
3. Stop often to enjoy the scenery. Take a lot of pictures to preserve your memories.
4. Drink a lot of water. If you sweat a lot, add Propel or something like it to your water to replace the electrolytes.
5. Protect your feet. Don't let blisters develop. If you get "hot spots" stop and treat them before they become blisters.

I was older than 39 when I got serious about hiking. You will enjoy it.

shutterbug, thank you for the reply.

Excellent advice and my apologies if I sounded too stringent about my approach to this hike. I promise, which ever section/sections I choose, I will enjoy and savor the experience. I often put a lot of pressure on myself to succeed in my endeavors and you're right, this should be all about the experience, and not the accomplishment.

Pack weight is a concern of mine as well. As of now, my pack weight is around 33 pounds including (what I hope to be enough food) for four days. This does not include my water reservoir when full. I realize I need to trim some fat here and will work on that over the next month.

A few more questions...

Bears. I won't be packing a sidearm for this trip. Should I buy some bear spray? Are bears even a problem?

Trekking polls. I read a thread earlier today and this seems to be a divisive subject. I don't own any. Should I?

Camping. While in the national park, I'm still uncertain if I can pitch camp anywhere. From what I gather, I cannot. Are campsites marked? I don't plan on staying at the shelters so no need for a permit.

Thanks again

Greg

thestin
05-21-2009, 20:34
You have to have reservations and a permit to overnight in the Smokies on the Appalachian Trail. You are required to stay in shelters while on the AT in the Smokies.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/carcamping.htm

thestin
05-21-2009, 20:36
Here's a more specific link about backcountry camping in the Smokies. Note the info about permits being required.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/backcountry-camping.htm

Egads
05-21-2009, 21:02
Pack weight is a concern of mine as well. As of now, my pack weight is around 33 pounds including (what I hope to be enough food) for four days. This does not include my water reservoir when full. I realize I need to trim some fat here and will work on that over the next month.

A few more questions...

Bears. I won't be packing a sidearm for this trip. Should I buy some bear spray? Are bears even a problem?

Trekking poles. I read a thread earlier today and this seems to be a divisive subject. I don't own any. Should I?

Camping. While in the national park, I'm still uncertain if I can pitch camp anywhere. From what I gather, I cannot. Are campsites marked? I don't plan on staying at the shelters so no need for a permit.

Thanks again

Greg

Try to get your pack weight w/ food & water under 25 lbs, you'll feel better hiking.

No firearm or bear spray required, just good hygiene and hang your food bag with all your toiletries and cook set. LW will tell you to make a pillow out of it. Decide for yourself, but that's another thread.

I didn't use trekking poles until I tried a single stick and figured out it made me faster on the ups and easier on my knees on the downs.

It's unfortunate, but the NPS does not allow you to set up camp anywhere you want. You need to use their established campsites and shelters. The red ones on their maps require reservations. All of them require permits.

I suggested Standing Indian because it is a nice ~20+ mile loop around the state park campground. You can set up camp pretty much anywhere you want there, but there are existing nice campsites and 3 shelters. It is located South of HWY 64 ~12 miles west of Franklin, NC

Groucho
05-21-2009, 21:20
No, I'm sure I used the wrong terminology. Here is the site I have been using to explore my options.Link (http://www.trails.com/activity.aspx?area=10131#trailid=HGD077-019&lat=35.54667&lon=-83.79028&zoom=8&m=terrain&a=HK)

I was under the impression that each one was a well known starting position and chose to call each a segment. Should I have said section?

Greg

A "guidebook section" has variable mileage; the section you want to start extends from Fontana to Newfound Gap-~38 mi., and two sections would be all the way to Davenport Gap. It doesn't really matter; I just wanted to know how long you were going to be out.

If I had to advise someone on a first trip, it would be to go to the Mount Rogers area. It is closer to Mooresville (109 mi to Massie Gap vs. 203 to Newfound Gap); you could hike to Damascus at your own pace or plan a loop; and get a shuttle back to your car, if needed. I

bigcranky
05-21-2009, 21:33
Three kinds of hikes: out-and-back, loop, and one-way. I don't much like out-and-back, loops and one-way are good. To do a one-way hike on the AT usually requires getting a ride of some sort from your car (which you leave at your end point) to the start point. Then you walk back to your car. Many people along the AT offer shuttle services for a fee.

No firearms in the National Parks, at least not yet, and no need for bear spray.

From your posts I'm still not sure what your goal is, starting from Fontana Dam. "Two sections" would be to Davenport Gap, 70 miles north, so a round trip would be 140 miles. Not realistic for a 4-day weekend, so there must be a mis-communication there.

I second the motion to go someplace other than the Smokies. Seriously. Mt Rogers in Southwest Virginia is terrific. There are several good loop and one-way ("section") hikes in that area. Ask for more details if you are interested. The Standing Indian Loop is a loop hike that is mostly on the AT, due to an odd S-curve in the trail in that area. Good solid climbs, good views (in good weather anyway), a safe place to park your car, and it makes a great 3 night beginning backpacking trip. Again, happy to supply details if you want.

JTCruiser
05-21-2009, 21:48
Here's another vote for the Standing Indian Loop. You can probably do this comfortably in the time you have allotted, you don't need a shuttle service, and it is absolutely beautiful this time of year. Standing Indian Campground is about 10 miles outside of Franklin, NC, south of Hwy. 64 (take 1448 S.) Park your vehicle at the Backcountry Information Center at Standing Indian Campground, hike up Kimsey Creek Trail to Deep Gap, go North on the AT until you get to Glassmine Gap or Rock Gap, and hike a couple miles back to your vehicle. You have plenty of opportunities to bail earlier and take a shortcut back to SIC if you want to. Leisurely three days for me and wife (we are 64 years old). We just did it last weekend. If you want to see our trip report (along with some hammock propaganda which you can ignore), go here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8681 Good luck!

JTCruiser
05-21-2009, 21:50
Here's another vote for the Standing Indian Loop. You can probably do this comfortably in the time you have allotted, you don't need a shuttle service, and it is absolutely beautiful this time of year. Standing Indian Campground is about 10 miles outside of Franklin, NC, south of Hwy. 64 (take 1448 S.) Park your vehicle at the Backcountry Information Center at Standing Indian Campground, hike up Kimsey Creek Trail to Deep Gap, go North on the AT until you get to Glassmine Gap or Rock Gap, and hike a couple miles back to your vehicle. You have plenty of opportunities to bail earlier and take a shortcut back to SIC if you want to. Leisurely three days for me and wife (we are 64 years old). We just did it last weekend. If you want to see our trip report (along with some hammock propaganda which you can ignore), go here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8681 Good luck!

Further on this, Standing Indian Campground is WEST of Franklin, and a few miles south of 64. If you do a search on this forum, you will find lots of info on SIC and the SI loop.

Doctari
05-22-2009, 05:51
I agree with HR: The climb up to shuckstack "Cold" from the parking lot at Fontana dam is a tough one. A friend of mine (fit, experienced hiker) told me he had to "count my steps to keep going. I would take 15 steps rest 5 minutes, 15 steps, rest, etc."
I started 100 miles south so it wasn't that bad after a "warm up". I'm not saying you can't do it, just be warned that the first part of your hike may be tough. The view from the Shuckstack fire tower is AWESOME!
Again, I second the suggestion of going a few miles south to the Standing Indian area. Maybe hike S on the Kimsey creek trail (starts in / near the SI campground) to the AT, then N on the AT. As stated, plenty of bail out points along the way. Get a map of the area, I think it's map #1 for NC from the ATC. Should show all the side trails back to the parking lot. The views from atop Albert & Standing Indian Mts is also AWESOME!

Welcome to Whiteblaze!

gregp
05-22-2009, 18:46
Here's a more specific link about backcountry camping in the Smokies. Note the info about permits being required.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/backcountry-camping.htm

Thanks for the info man. It's nice to finally know the answer to my questions on this matter. I'll definitely keep that in mind when I hike in the park.

Greg

gregp
05-22-2009, 18:54
Try to get your pack weight w/ food & water under 25 lbs, you'll feel better hiking.

No firearm or bear spray required, just good hygiene and hang your food bag with all your toiletries and cook set. LW will tell you to make a pillow out of it. Decide for yourself, but that's another thread.

I didn't use trekking poles until I tried a single stick and figured out it made me faster on the ups and easier on my knees on the downs.

It's unfortunate, but the NPS does not allow you to set up camp anywhere you want. You need to use their established campsites and shelters. The red ones on their maps require reservations. All of them require permits.

I suggested Standing Indian because it is a nice ~20+ mile loop around the state park campground. You can set up camp pretty much anywhere you want there, but there are existing nice campsites and 3 shelters. It is located South of HWY 64 ~12 miles west of Franklin, NC

Egads,

Due to your recommendation I research the standing indian loop today and have decided that it meets my needs for a first hike of the trail much more than what I originally had planned to do.

It's a bit shorter than I planned for but 20+ miles is still much further than any hike I've ever been on.

This will be my hike and I can't thank you enough for the suggestion.

I do have a question though... I've read that some folks head north when reaching the AT, and some others head south. Which would you recommend?

Again, thanks for everything.

Greg

gregp
05-22-2009, 18:56
Three kinds of hikes: out-and-back, loop, and one-way. I don't much like out-and-back, loops and one-way are good. To do a one-way hike on the AT usually requires getting a ride of some sort from your car (which you leave at your end point) to the start point. Then you walk back to your car. Many people along the AT offer shuttle services for a fee.

No firearms in the National Parks, at least not yet, and no need for bear spray.

From your posts I'm still not sure what your goal is, starting from Fontana Dam. "Two sections" would be to Davenport Gap, 70 miles north, so a round trip would be 140 miles. Not realistic for a 4-day weekend, so there must be a mis-communication there.

I second the motion to go someplace other than the Smokies. Seriously. Mt Rogers in Southwest Virginia is terrific. There are several good loop and one-way ("section") hikes in that area. Ask for more details if you are interested. The Standing Indian Loop is a loop hike that is mostly on the AT, due to an odd S-curve in the trail in that area. Good solid climbs, good views (in good weather anyway), a safe place to park your car, and it makes a great 3 night beginning backpacking trip. Again, happy to supply details if you want.

Thanks for the input friend. Mt. Rogers looks to be a pretty quick road trip for me, and I may look to doing that section this fall.

Greg

gregp
05-22-2009, 18:58

Thanks for the link JT, I read a good portion and it sounded great! I can't wait for July!

BTW, I own a hammock too.:D

Thanks for everything

Greg

gregp
05-22-2009, 19:01
I agree with HR: The climb up to shuckstack "Cold" from the parking lot at Fontana dam is a tough one. A friend of mine (fit, experienced hiker) told me he had to "count my steps to keep going. I would take 15 steps rest 5 minutes, 15 steps, rest, etc."
I started 100 miles south so it wasn't that bad after a "warm up". I'm not saying you can't do it, just be warned that the first part of your hike may be tough. The view from the Shuckstack fire tower is AWESOME!
Again, I second the suggestion of going a few miles south to the Standing Indian area. Maybe hike S on the Kimsey creek trail (starts in / near the SI campground) to the AT, then N on the AT. As stated, plenty of bail out points along the way. Get a map of the area, I think it's map #1 for NC from the ATC. Should show all the side trails back to the parking lot. The views from atop Albert & Standing Indian Mts is also AWESOME!

Welcome to Whiteblaze!

I read this post earlier today Doctari, and this pretty much sealed the deal for me as far as Standing Indian loop vs Fontana Dam.

What you described just doesn't sound like much fun to me. At least right now.

Thanks for the advice, and thanks for the welcome friend!

Greg

Egads
05-22-2009, 19:04
Egads,

Due to your recommendation I research the standing indian loop today and have decided that it meets my needs for a first hike of the trail much more than what I originally had planned to do.

It's a bit shorter than I planned for but 20+ miles is still much further than any hike I've ever been on.

This will be my hike and I can't thank you enough for the suggestion.

I do have a question though... I've read that some folks head north when reaching the AT, and some others head south. Which would you recommend?

Again, thanks for everything.

Greg

I prefer it CCW.

Have fun

Shutterbug
05-22-2009, 23:03
shutterbug, thank you for the reply.

Excellent advice and my apologies if I sounded too stringent about my approach to this hike. I promise, which ever section/sections I choose, I will enjoy and savor the experience. I often put a lot of pressure on myself to succeed in my endeavors and you're right, this should be all about the experience, and not the accomplishment.

A few more questions...

Trekking polls. I read a thread earlier today and this seems to be a divisive subject. I don't own any. Should I?

Thanks again

Greg

I will respond to your questions:

I don't carry bear spray. My primary concern when I meet a bear is getting a good picture. I have learned that bear encounters are a positive part of the outdoor experience. As long as you keep your wits, black bears (the kind that live in the east) are not a threat.

I use them. Until I started using trekking poles, I averaged three hard falls a year -- hard enough to have bruises. Since I started using trekking poles, I have not had a hard fall. I find that they offer extra stability when the trail is slippery.

For me they have solved another problem. Before I started using trekking poles my fingers would swell when I hiked. When I use poles, they don't.

Most National Parks require you to get a permit for a specific site, but some issue off trail permits which allow a lot more freedom. As a new hiker, you should stick to the named camps and leave the off trail permits for after you have more experience.

Your comment that you don't need a permit because you are not staying in a shelter probably isn't correct. Check the Smokey Mountain National Park web site. It says that everyone needs a permit.

While they don't specifically tell you so, all National Parks have a "safety first" rule. If you should determine that it would be unsafe for you to try to make it to the camp where you have a permit, you can camp at any safe place.

Have fun.

JTCruiser
05-22-2009, 23:58

It is pretty much a push as far as effort, since you are hiking in a circle. One noticeable different might be Albert Mtn. The south slope (so, the one you ascend when you are northbound) is steeper and slipperier when wet than the north slope. Personally, I would rather climb up the steep part than try to climb down it, particularly when it is wet, as it has been this season. Just my opinion.

Lilred
05-24-2009, 00:05
:welcome I loved the climb up Albert Mountain going north. One of my favs so far. I think you've made a wise choice with the Standing Indian loop. Happy Hiking and welcome to Whiteblaze.....

gregp
05-24-2009, 08:50
I will respond to your questions:

I don't carry bear spray. My primary concern when I meet a bear is getting a good picture. I have learned that bear encounters are a positive part of the outdoor experience. As long as you keep your wits, black bears (the kind that live in the east) are not a threat.

I use them. Until I started using trekking poles, I averaged three hard falls a year -- hard enough to have bruises. Since I started using trekking poles, I have not had a hard fall. I find that they offer extra stability when the trail is slippery.

For me they have solved another problem. Before I started using trekking poles my fingers would swell when I hiked. When I use poles, they don't.

Most National Parks require you to get a permit for a specific site, but some issue off trail permits which allow a lot more freedom. As a new hiker, you should stick to the named camps and leave the off trail permits for after you have more experience.

Your comment that you don't need a permit because you are not staying in a shelter probably isn't correct. Check the Smokey Mountain National Park web site. It says that everyone needs a permit.

While they don't specifically tell you so, all National Parks have a "safety first" rule. If you should determine that it would be unsafe for you to try to make it to the camp where you have a permit, you can camp at any safe place.

Have fun.

Shutterbug, I really appreciate all of the advice. You've really helped me out here.

As for the bears, I hope we view one another from a safe distance.:D

I'll probably pick up a pair of trekking poles and give them a try at the local park. They do seem to be a good idea and I'd rather have them and not need them then the alternative.

Again, thanks.

Greg

gregp
05-24-2009, 08:53
It is pretty much a push as far as effort, since you are hiking in a circle. One noticeable different might be Albert Mtn. The south slope (so, the one you ascend when you are northbound) is steeper and slipperier when wet than the north slope. Personally, I would rather climb up the steep part than try to climb down it, particularly when it is wet, as it has been this season. Just my opinion.

Thanks JT.

Northbound sounds like a plan to me.

Now, I've got figure out how to trim my pack down a bit, and get in a little better shape.

Thanks for all the advice!

Greg

gregp
05-24-2009, 08:54
:welcome I loved the climb up Albert Mountain going north. One of my favs so far. I think you've made a wise choice with the Standing Indian loop. Happy Hiking and welcome to Whiteblaze.....

Hi Lilred, and thanks for the welcome!

Indeed, after listening to the good folks here, I'm sure that Standing Indian will be a great trip.

Hope to see you all on the trail someday!

Greg