PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs advice

barefeet
05-20-2009, 23:28
Hello all! My girlfriend and I are avid hikers but have not hiked the Appalachian Trail for more than a day hike, so....we have taken 1 week off to explore a portion of the trail!

We live in Northwestern PA and have been doing some research on different trailheads and their surrounding area. We would like to hike in either PA, NY, or VA.

Our plan is to find an area that is more secluded than the portions that we have been through. My girlfriend & I hiked through a portion of Maryland and the traffic was surprisingly heavy.

PLEASE..If any of you could offer a sugestion, It would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

emerald
05-20-2009, 23:34
You may want to consider some of Pennsylvania's other trails since traffic on the AT in the areas you mentioned can be expected to be increasing in the coming weeks. Click on DCNR link (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/hiking/index.aspx) for general information.

stranger
05-21-2009, 06:03
If you live in northwestern PA you might want to look at the Susquehannock Trail in Potter County. It's a relatively easy 83 mile loop trail that's absolutely beautiful. If you start at Denton Hill State Park by Coudersport, you literally walk through the little settlement of Cross Fork around mile 49, where you can have a maildrop waiting (the general store wasn't very good when I was there years ago). You can also get a motel room in town for about $50 and have a few beers or sodas if you are hurting. I think this trail is one of the best in PA and I've done most of them.

You might also want to check out the Black Forest Trail, Loyalsock Trail and Quehanna Trails in PA as well, all are great and would take anywhere from a few days to a week to hike.

If you really want to hike on the AT, then I would recommend hiking south of Duncannon towards Pen Mar. Southern PA is very easy walking and most of the notorious (and overrated) rocks are well north of here. Duncannon is close to Harrisburg if that helps.

The AT gets plenty of hikers, if you seek solitude check out the trails listed above, when I hiked the Susquehannock I saw 2 hikers across 5 days, and I saw 5 bears. Saying that, I think the AT section of trail between Pen Mar and Duncannon is quite nice for the mid-atlantic.

The Solemates
05-21-2009, 09:49
I'd recommend the mid-state trail in PA or the Laurel Highlands trail for seclusion. you won't find anyone on those trails....

Blissful
05-21-2009, 19:25
You'll be hitting thru hikers, sectioners and BSA on the trail in the summer. Though you might try New Jersey. I liked it very much. We did it mid June and not that bad as far as hikers out and about.

Tinker
05-22-2009, 00:02
I hiked a short stretch of the Laurel Highlands Trail about 10 years ago with my father-in-law. Hardly saw another person except at campgrounds. Pretty secluded, beautiful, and fairly easy.