PDA

View Full Version : Londoner on the trail

oblong
05-21-2009, 08:07
Hi
I will be visiting Providence RI in July and then I plan to hike about 700 mile of AT during August. What would be a good hike? At the moment I am thinking of flying to Atlanta and starting from Springer and ending at Daleville VA where I can fly out of Roanoke. Would this section be too hot during August? Would there be a better choice maybe nearer to RI? Maybe thinking of starting in Rutland VT and hiking south.
Need fairly easy access to trail, resupply about every 200 miles, nearish airports start finish is good.
Last year I hiked CT in 20 days. I often do 30 mile averages and hike lightish. Love hiking in USA because of your wilderness and wild animals (weve ate all ours in the UK long ago).
Any recommendations on a suitable hike would be well received.
Thank you
ROb

Bearpaw
05-21-2009, 08:40
Would this section be too hot during August?

Depends on what you consider "too hot".

I grew up in the south with heat and humidity, and during the drought of 1999 (when I thru-hiked) I found even the New England states to be hot (day time highs hitting 35 C). This was unusual, I was told, but I was disappointed.

On the other hand, I can hike in higher altitudes (Great Smoky Mountains National Park or Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers area) and be comfortable due to the cooling effect of elevation.

You might want to consider starting in CT and heading north. You'll definitely avoid the hotter parts of the south and enjoy great views in the Green (VT) and White Mountains (NH).

Jeff
05-21-2009, 08:43
I agree with Bearpaw on starting in CT. It's a beautiful & memorable section of the trail.

makoboy
05-21-2009, 09:21
A good place to start to get easy access to the trail may be the AT stop (this stop is weekends only) on the Metro North RR out of NYC. You can fly into JFK, take the bus Grand Central Terminal, then Metro North to the AT. The North East is also nice bc you are really never more than a few hour drive or bus ride to a large city or airport to get home.

EMS also just opened a new store in NYC at 530 Broadway. Easy place to get your last minute supplies such as fuel.

oblong
05-24-2009, 09:58
I think I might start from Springer and hike to Roanoke. My plan is 720 miles in 27 days. A marathon a day.
Main reason is I really like to camp and hike and reading about the north seems a bit restrictive on putting up tents.
Little concerned about water in August

Darwin again
05-24-2009, 10:04
If you do that, the heat will kill you. I do not exagerate.

oblong
05-26-2009, 12:21
If you do that, the heat will kill you. I do not exagerate.

Ok.

So what would be the best stretch of AT for using a tent and not tooooo hot in August but not tooooo many people about.

Am I asking toooo much.

Newb
05-26-2009, 13:28
That's an awefully aggressive mileage plan, especially in the heat of summer.

ARambler
05-26-2009, 14:27
There are lots of people who want advice for their first 4 posts. There are half a dozen people who hike the trail in less than 100 days an don't need to be told how to do it. Are you telling us you are both? You are proposing an 81 day pace. Go hike from Springer, for all I care.

In case someone who really cares looks this up in the archives I have the following recommendations.
1) Assume the AT is 8 to 10 % harder (slower) than the CT. Assume that to appreciate the social aspects of the AT you need and additional 2 to 10 % more time for the town stops on the AT.
2) Since all AT hikers get to or from Katahdin, I would recommend this as a good starting point. If so, you will get somewhere in MA/CT. There are several good if not great options for getting out of MA. I would not do this nobo because ME is not a great state to bail from.
3) Although there is only one bus a day from Boston, Gorham, NH is a good place to start. It is about 600 miles to the Delaware Water Gap (on the PA/NJ border. Last I checked, there were many busses to NYC from the DWG. The station is listed as Stroudsburg on the schedules. This stretch could be done nobo, and you would meet many nobos. There are many places to bail in VT and NH, but I don't think you would need to stop before Gorham.
Rambler

gravityman
05-26-2009, 15:09
I personally would start at Katahdin and head south if wilderness and wildlife is what you're main motivations are. Go as far south as you care to/can. You won't be far from an airport any which way when you stop.

Gravity

Monkeyboy
05-26-2009, 15:16
Just remember when hiking on the trail to pass hikers coming the other way on the right..........

Just sayin'.

leeki pole
05-26-2009, 15:59
If you're from London and you want to hike the South in August, good luck. Just be aware what you're getting into, and yes water will be a definite issue.

briarpatch
05-26-2009, 16:38
Isn't there a saying about "mad dogs and Englishmen"? Seriously, Georgia will be hot and dry and dusty, and did I mention HOT?

DaSchwartz
05-26-2009, 17:02
oblong,

HOnestly, Your plans of that many miles per day and resupply only every 200 miles is unrealistic. If you are on a schedule where you can only hike 27 days, start off in MA/VT/CT, go south until the 27 days are over. It's easy to get off the trail anywhere and just get home that way.

To plan to start at springer and be at Roanoke in 27 days is not realistic. It's a plan of failure.

Good luck.

Jack Tarlin
05-26-2009, 17:17
DA is right. Regardless of your "30 mile a day average", 700 miles in August is probably unrealistic.

Alternate suggestion: Fly into Boston, catch a bus to Hanover NH and head North for as long as you've got. NH and Maine represent some of the best hiking in the northeastern United States and you should be able to get to Katahdin by the end of the month. Have a great trip!!

Monkeyboy
05-26-2009, 17:44
Isn't there a saying about "mad dogs and Englishmen"? Seriously, Georgia will be hot and dry and dusty, and did I mention HOT?

Not for us Florida boys.......... :)

It's like air conditioning to us.

oblong
05-27-2009, 05:27
I like the idea of starting at Katadin and heading south as far as I can go.
My reason for thinking 700 miles possible in 27 days is that I hiked 525 miles last year in 20 days during August on Colorado Trail plus extras. I only resupplied twice so carried 8 days food at a time for the first two legs. Thats how I like to hike. Not everyones cup of tea.

rickb
05-27-2009, 07:00
I think I might start from Springer and hike to Roanoke. My plan is 720 miles in 27 days. A marathon a day.
Main reason is I really like to camp and hike and reading about the north seems a bit restrictive on putting up tents.
Little concerned about water in August

"A bit" restrictive is a good way to put it.

The restrictions are very minor, and easily circumvented (legally and responsibly) by anyone with just a small amount a flexibility.

I am thinking that some of the thru hiker whining may have given you a false impression of the freedom in the northern half of the Trail.

Darwin again
05-27-2009, 11:16
I like the idea of starting at Katadin and heading south as far as I can go.
My reason for thinking 700 miles possible in 27 days is that I hiked 525 miles last year in 20 days during August on Colorado Trail plus extras. I only resupplied twice so carried 8 days food at a time for the first two legs. Thats how I like to hike. Not everyones cup of tea.

The CT is graded for pack stock (mules and horses), is not humid like the AT and has higher overall elevations -- totally different kettle of fish, apples and oranges, etc. Much better to start up north somewhere, with plenty of bailout options. The AT in the north has humbled many a trail hotshot. Try a "marathon every day" of this (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=21163&id=1450265390&l=9ff3d5b492): http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=21163&id=1450265390&l=9ff3d5b492

Best of luck to you!

Funkmeister
05-27-2009, 14:52
I wonder about your thinking regarding starting in Georgia. Providence is ~900 miles from Augusta; the AT is a two-hour ride in the car from here to western Massachusetts. Like others above, I'd also suggest starting somewhere in the New York/ New Jersey/ Connecticut/ Mass area and hiking north. And if not hiking the AT is that important, consider hiking south on the Long Trail and then either direction on the AT as your exit strategy requires.

As I live in Providence, well almost, PM me if you need any help with your local travels.