PDA

View Full Version : Some Gear Queries

I'reckon
05-21-2009, 11:22
I am headed out solo on the CT August 15, and plan on finishing up mid to late September. I am choosing the Durango to Denver option to avoid the higher altitude in late September. I am trying to plan out my gear selection and was looking for some insight.

Sleeping bag - I tend to get cold pretty easily, (very little fat on me.) I have a Marmot 30* Arroyo down, but I am pretty sure that even with a silk liner it won't keep me warm enough. So I'm thinking 0-20* range. Any thoughts?

Shelter - I'm looking into the two trekking pole shelter, e.g., Black Diamond's Beta Light or Go-Lite's Shangri-La. I know people swear by the Tarp-Tents too. Better recommendations?

Sleep pad - Is the few oz. savings of a closed cell pad worth it over the comfort of an inflatable?
Thanks!

garlic08
05-21-2009, 12:02
Your thoughts on the sleeping bag are right on. 20 degrees at least, I'd say. You live in the area, so you know what September can do.

In that season, bugs won't be an issue, so you could comfortably get by with a simple tarp. I used a Beta Light and liked it a lot. It's good in snow, too. I now use a Tarptent Contrail and it's a great all-around shelter, but for that trail and that season you won't need the bug netting and floor and can save some weight.

I believe the few ounces saved with a CCF pad is worth it. Not just weight, but cost and maintenance. I seldom had a problem finding decent campsites with soft ground.

Mags
05-21-2009, 13:10
As usual, Garlic gives some good, solid advice.

I'll further add to the CCF cheer leading. I do not want anything in the backcountry they sell repair kits for. :)

I use the generic and cheap "blue foamer" myself. Cut down for my size, I have it weighing less than 6 oz.

Hole-In-The-Hat
05-22-2009, 11:03
The choice of a sleeping pad is a very individual thing. If you're a back sleeper or not too sensitive to pressure points, a closed-cell foam pad should work. If you're a side-sleeper, this is one place that a little extra weight may be justified.

I've tried closed-cell pads, however I'm happiest with my Therm-A-Rest ProLite 4 even though it weighs 16 ounces. I'm careful where I place it, and haven't had any problems.

I just bought the new 9-ounce Therm-A-Rest NeoAir, and am looking forward to giving it a try -- it seems really comfortable, hopefully it will be sufficiently warm and durable.