PDA

View Full Version : Trail Days '09: "Not a single scrap of trash."

Local
05-21-2009, 14:10
Talked this morning with Ralph on the town's maintenance staff. His direct quote was "We went out there looking for trash, but there was not a single scrap of trash anywhere in the campground. We went back on the creek thinking we would find stuff, but nothing was there. Last year we picked up bags and bags of stuff, but this year there was nothing."

This may be unique in American history. The town definitely appreciates the hikers and their attitude toward keeping our town clean.

If you know people you would like to thank for their participation in this, please do so on our behalf. Out of the around 2,000 people at the campground, we would like to thank those most responsible, and thank everyone who helped in this effort. I again thank Riff Raff, the former Bad Boys of the Campground, for the good work they've done, and also thank Miss Janet's Crew for all the work they have done, and also Trail Talk for their work. And of course the Billville crew. That still leaves around 1,900 of you who helped. The town appreciates what you have done.

d'shadow
05-21-2009, 14:35
Glad to hear the news! We kept our area picked up and tried to be as thoughtful as possible about trash. We appreciate everything the town of Damascus goes through in order to provide a meeting place for hikers and support people. thanks for your hospitality!:sun

Chaco Taco
05-21-2009, 15:59
Talked this morning with Ralph on the town's maintenance staff. His direct quote was "We went out there looking for trash, but there was not a single scrap of trash anywhere in the campground. We went back on the creek thinking we would find stuff, but nothing was there. Last year we picked up bags and bags of stuff, but this year there was nothing."

This may be unique in American history. The town definitely appreciates the hikers and their attitude toward keeping our town clean.

If you know people you would like to thank for their participation in this, please do so on our behalf. Out of the around 2,000 people at the campground, we would like to thank those most responsible, and thank everyone who helped in this effort. I again thank Riff Raff, the former Bad Boys of the Campground, for the good work they've done, and also thank Miss Janet's Crew for all the work they have done, and also Trail Talk for their work. And of course the Billville crew. That still leaves around 1,900 of you who helped. The town appreciates what you have done.

Im gonna brag on my class, most back in the woods by the creek were 08ers. Im proud of them but mainly for everyone that helped with the cleanup. Way to go everyone:banana

Roan Creeper
05-21-2009, 18:08
that's awesome.

Jim Adams
05-22-2009, 10:43
We had to clean it up...all the locals were in jail!!!!!!:)
Just kidding, had to say that!
We cleaned our sites up and bagged all the garbage but it is SOOOOOO awesome to learn that everyone did. Thank you to all who made the effort and thank you to Damascus for recognising the effort.

geek

Miss Janet
05-22-2009, 20:32
I am happy to see we got a good report. There were so many hikers helping to keep things picked up and cleaned up. I am sure that a few "volunteers" disappeared as soon as they got the wrist band but others sure made up for it! Rath, Camp Delay, Riff Raff and the Fire Keepers... and so many more I am foretting right now... THANK YOU! You all helped to prove the the Hiker Volunteers make a real difference.

**** Maybe next year volunteers can get a special colored Tshirt that will make them easy to spot in case assistance is needed ... and to thank when it iis due! There are lots of ways that volunteers can be used to make Trail Days go much smoother, cleaner and even less expensive to produce. I know of several great festivals that utilize voulteers very well.

Thanks Local for letting us have the chance to "Give Back" a little.
'

ARambler
05-22-2009, 20:56
I am happy to see we got a good report. There were so many hikers helping to keep things picked up and cleaned up. I am sure that a few "volunteers" disappeared as soon as they got the wrist band but others sure made up for it! Rath, Camp Delay, Riff Raff and the Fire Keepers... and so many more I am foretting right now... THANK YOU! You all helped to prove the the Hiker Volunteers make a real difference.

**** Maybe next year volunteers can get a special colored Tshirt that will make them easy to spot in case assistance is needed ... and to thank when it iis due! There are lots of ways that volunteers can be used to make Trail Days go much smoother, cleaner and even less expensive to produce. I know of several great festivals that utilize voulteers very well.

Thanks Local for letting us have the chance to "Give Back" a little.
'

Were most of these volunteers from the Class of 09?
I didn't get a chance to interact with that many of this years hikers but they seemed to be a pretty good lot. I couldn't solicit complaints about the rain, they reported low dropout rates, and just good vibs. I asked another hiker who has been close to the trail for a few years, and he thought this years hikers (of all ages) were significantly more polite than other years.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who made this years Trail Days a big success.
Rambler

Ron Haven
05-22-2009, 20:58
I sure had fun at Trail Days

Lone Wolf
05-22-2009, 21:03
I sure had fun at Trail Days

that ain't no ****! :D

Lone Wolf
05-22-2009, 21:06
hikers have always cleaned up Trail Days campsites. this year is nothing new. matter of fact the last few years at the river Hobocentral cleaned and stocked the bathrooms. and cleaned up the campground come sunday/monday

Jester2000
05-22-2009, 22:37
I just realized that I accidentally left something behind in the campground -- the hair dryers we put in the ladies room. Oops! Sorry to whoever had to get them out of there. Unless, of course, they're still there. In that case they can, I suppose, be used by Bingo Trainees to freshen up.

Thanks to everyone at Trail Days who subscribed to the notion of leaving a place better than you found it!

TOW
05-23-2009, 06:09
That is an awesome act of LNT........

Tinker
05-23-2009, 08:33
I just realized that I accidentally left something behind in the campground -- the hair dryers we put in the ladies room. Oops! Sorry to whoever had to get them out of there. Unless, of course, they're still there. In that case they can, I suppose, be used by Bingo Trainees to freshen up.

Thanks to everyone at Trail Days who subscribed to the notion of leaving a place better than you found it!

I left my "baby wipes" behind when I drove home. I'm sure they were put to "good use" :D. The paper towels got a little damp in the rain but I left them so my neighbors who shared their canopy with me could wipe down the table and cooking gear.
I had a great time and will probably ask for more time off next year so I can do more to help out.

trailangelmary
05-23-2009, 19:41
I could quote most of these posts so far but instead I will just say that once in a while a reminder needs to be stated to hikers that they should follow LNT especially when at a big party such as Trail Days. I reminded hikers about LNT when I had the opportunity and made sure I scanned my site closely for cig butts since I forgot my butt can! I also had the chance to mention clean up to Superman of Riff Raff on my way out of town. I am confident that Superman is a great leader and took care of that camp.
I would also like to mention my thanks to Jester and all of Billville for instilling in me since I have been involved in the hiker community, to leave it better than you found it. And hope that I have improved and become a true Billvillian in carrying that theory out every day.
Miss Janet, no disrespect but I don't think we need t-shirts to recognize the best LNTers. We know who we are and just need to pass on the actions to others.
Next year I hope to visit more "camps" if I can get out of the kitchen!!!
Love to all. Local, hope you are feeling better. I asked about you while I was there...at Dots actually.

Miss Janet
05-24-2009, 02:28
[QUOTE=Jester2000;842459]I just realized that I accidentally left something behind in the campground -- the hair dryers we put in the ladies room. Oops! Sorry to whoever had to get them out of there. Unless, of course, they're still there. In that case they can, I suppose, be used by Bingo Trainees to freshen up.

The Bingo Trainee's will have to go uncoifed... I have the dryers and meant to give them to you in Erwin but WWIII broke out and I forgot. What should I do with them?

Miss Janet
05-24-2009, 02:35
"Miss Janet, no disrespect but I don't think we need t-shirts to recognize the best LNTers. We know who we are and just need to pass on the actions to others."

LOL I didn't mean the tshirt idea as a way to "recognize" as in give special appreciation to... I meant it as a way to make volunteers more noticeable... easy to find when needed... Am I clear as mud? Another featival I am involved with requires volunteers (those getting free passes in return for a certain amount of assistance) to wear the shirts when they are "on duty" and it makes it easy to find them when I need a "Honey Do".

Jester2000
05-24-2009, 11:49
The Bingo Trainee's will have to go uncoifed... I have the dryers and meant to give them to you in Erwin but WWIII broke out and I forgot. What should I do with them?

Thanks for picking up for me. You can hang on to them if you want, or donate them to some organization that needs them. If you're coming up for the feed you could bring them then. I'm not terribly worried about where they end up, as long as they get used.