PDA

View Full Version : squeezable jelly

sly dog
05-21-2009, 16:24
Anyone ever take the squeezable jelly bottles? I was wondering how long they last without refrigeration. I usually use nutella and peanut butter but thought this would be a nice changeup. I am hiking for the next two weeks so look at the current temperature in VA with responses. I know the little packets are better but can get a hold of enough of them by tomorrow so I bought the bottle. I know it says refrigerate after opening but so does cheese and pepperoni and I never have a problem with those.

the goat
05-21-2009, 17:10
i've carried squeeze bottle jelly throught the dead heat of summer & never had a problem.

cowpoke
05-21-2009, 17:13
Stop by Bojangles or other fast food places that serve biscuits and get the individual jelly packets...work great...last long time.

Farr Away
05-21-2009, 17:25
Regular jelly with lots of sugar would probably be fine. Preservation is one reason jellies are made. Spreadable fruit (sweetened with juice) or reduced-sugar jelly might not do so well. YMMV.

A lot of items that Americans routinely refrigerate after opening are stored at room temperature in other countries.

sarbar
05-21-2009, 18:16
If the jam or jelly is fruit, sugar and pectin you can carry it for a loooong time. And being a squeeze bottle is a good thing - it keeps utensils out of it.

When I was growing up we made all our jam (and I still do!). The only time stuff went bad in summer was if someone kept dipping the PB knife in it!

Many Walks
05-21-2009, 19:38
I'd be willing to bet you'll finish it long before it goes bad.

max patch
05-21-2009, 20:46
I had peanut butter and jelly on a bagel for lunch every day on my thru and nothing ever went bad.

kayak karl
05-21-2009, 21:43
Anyone ever take the squeezable jelly bottles? I was wondering how long they last without refrigeration. I usually use nutella and peanut butter but thought this would be a nice changeup. I am hiking for the next two weeks so look at the current temperature in VA with responses. I know the little packets are better but can get a hold of enough of them by tomorrow so I bought the bottle. I know it says refrigerate after opening but so does cheese and pepperoni and I never have a problem with those.
i bought these at a hostel. they were great and easy. i dont like jelly enough to carry a container of it. http://www.minimus.biz/images/F06-0115400-1201bg.jpg

http://www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=7483