PDA

View Full Version : Mail drop question

hiicprn
06-21-2004, 14:06
I don't intend to live off of mail drops for my NOBO in 2005. Flexibility has always been important to me and I would hate to burdon my friends with a huge pile of boxes and a bunch of trips to the post office.

The question is....If you could pick 10 places along the entire AT where you would want a mail drop sent where would they be? I would also like to know why (no outfitter or store etc...) if you would be so kind.

Thanks

minnesotasmith
06-21-2004, 14:27
If you'll go up to the "Information" tab on the top right, the dropdown choices include two articles that IMO cover that nicely. Read "Resupply Advice" and "Inexpensive thru-hike".

smokymtnsteve
06-21-2004, 15:30
Fontana...

hungryhowie
06-22-2004, 07:06
Fontana Village, NC - no reliable resupply

Pearisburg, VA - not needed for resupply, but a great place to switch out (at least partially so) your winter stuff for lighter-weight summer stuff.

Harpers Ferry, WVA - no convenient resupply

Port Clinton, PA - no convenient resupply

Glencliff, NH - no reliable resupply. great place to switch out your summer stuff for heavier and warmer stuff for the Whites and beyond.

-Howie

Jaybird
06-22-2004, 07:52
I don't intend to live off of mail drops for my NOBO in 2005. ........The question is....If you could pick 10 places along the entire AT where you would want a mail drop sent where would they be? I would also like to know why (no outfitter or store etc...)Thanks

hiicprn

first of all...i'm envious....i'd love to thru-hike next year....but, this little thing called a "job"...keeps calling to me...(& my creditors like me to [pay my bills...hehehehehe!)

to answer your question with a question why dont you like outfitters?

most will hold a mail-drop for hikers...& you get to ck out the gear in the store...

my choices:

Walasi-Yi Center/Neels Gap/Blairsville,GA

Mountain Moma's/Waterville,NC

Bluff Mtn Outfitters/Hot Springs,NC

Mt.Rogers Outfitters or Sundog Outfitters/Damascus, VA

these are the only ones i've used & do recommend! :D

A-Train
06-22-2004, 12:51
Howie gave a pretty darn good list. I agree with all of them. Note that his Pearisburg idea is a good one for switching gear, but for food NO need. Huge supermarket right on the trail. Here are a couple others that come to mind.

Atkins Virginia/Relax Inn-This is a good spot since you're about 4-6 days out of Damascus and most likely will be running low. Bland is a pain in the butt to resupply and Pearisburg is a long way. Stay at the motel (very cheap if split) and send the maildrop to the motel. its right on the Trail. You don't have to stay there but offer to throw them a couple bucks.

Delware Water Gap-nothing more than a gas station, which is a ways off the AT. There are other options if you bring a couple days food from Palmerton or Wind Gap and resupply at the various delis in jersey/ny, but that can be a bit chancey. I'd send 3-4 days to get to Vernon.

Pinkham Notch, NH- I really liked this spot for a small 2 day drop. It allowed me to only have to carry 4 days from N. Woodstock to there instead of 6. Its a tough section, so keeping the weight down in important. The visitors center is directly on the AT and they don't ask for any money or a stay to pick it up. Then you only have to carry 2 measly days of food to Gorham, which has a huge supermarket. Pinkam to Gorham is probably one of the most difficult 21 miles on the AT.

Andover-there are 3 good hostels in town, but 2 pretty shotty gas stastion type stores. Incredibly small town. The guidebooks call them both long term resupply but i'd beg to differ. You can certainly get enough to get you to Rangeley, but if you plug on to Stratton, I'd go with a maildrop. Those 2 stores had a lot of junk and not much else.

Caratunk-I recommend this because the PO is only .3 off the AT, an easy walk. Also because the Caratunk House is temporarily closed. They are supposed to re-open and Paul has a pretty decent resupply, plenty to get you to Monson, 2-3 days up the Trail. I also hear Steve Longley's place has a thorough resupply, tho in the interest of saving time, a small maildrop might work well here.

Lastly is Monson, ME- There are 2 small grocery stores with mostly junk food. Seems like a lot of folks do maildrops. I was VERY fortunate to arrive in town early and get a ride with old man SHaw to a big supermarket in a far off town (Dover?) but I wouldn't count on it.

Its worth noting I had no maildrops in Maine, but I still recommend all 3 I suggested and would most likely do them if I hiked again. Mostly for convenience and better choice of food. Certainly not necessities though.

hiicprn
06-22-2004, 14:11
Jaybird, I <3 outfitters. :D