PDA

View Full Version : TVP Pointers needed

Grinder
05-21-2009, 17:06
When I ordered my dried vegetable sampler this spring, I also ordered a sampler of TVP. I got two shapes of chickenish, one Hamish, one beefish and one taco filling.

To date I have tried the chicken and the taco filling.
the taco is okay.
The chicken has the texture right but is totally devoid of flavor.

How does one work around this problem.
Chicken boullion is mostly salt. That would give me salty vaguely chicken tasting.

I have no idea what to do, other than adding "chicken" which kind of defeats the purpose.

Sarbar or someone please point me in right direction.

Thanks

sarbar
05-21-2009, 18:19
I use the flavored TVP as part of the meal - never the focus. That way you get the bulk/protein but not just it.

One thing to think about is trying a lower sodium bouillon for more flavor in your meals - that way you get a boost of flavor without the salt bomb.

I have used the small chicken in rice dishes with veggies, oil, cheese and herbs/spices. Works out nice!

The Hamish is pretty good with freeze dried green beans when added to pasta or rice dishes :-)

Desert Reprobate
05-21-2009, 20:35
Someone has to take a stand on TVP. I'd rather stand on it than eat it.

chknfngrs
05-21-2009, 20:48
Honestly, just add ketchup. It's the best thing I've done to make bad food good.

Wise Old Owl
05-21-2009, 21:39
Ok I'm stuck - I have granular TVP looks like cereal - what do we do with that?

LaurieAnn
05-21-2009, 21:44
put it in chili or spaghetti sauce Wise Old Owl - it needs something to give it flavor

Wise Old Owl
05-21-2009, 22:15
so it has no flavor and we add it to meals for protein?

atraildreamer
05-22-2009, 00:12
Ok I'm stuck - I have granular TVP looks like cereal - what do we do with that?

I have made sloppy joes with granular TVP and the powdered seasoning mix. Tasted just like beef.

sarbar
05-22-2009, 01:17
so it has no flavor and we add it to meals for protein?

Actually there is plain TVP - which is the beige-ish colored granules and then their is flavored TVP which comes in many types - beef, chicken, ham, taco, sausage flavors and often is sized like meat as well. That stuff does not need to be flavored.

As for the plain TVP (such as Bob's Red Mill sells) that kind is used as a protein and fiber filler in many commercial meals as well.....Backpackers Pantry even uses it.

Farr Away
05-22-2009, 12:46
I have made sloppy joes with granular TVP and the powdered seasoning mix. Tasted just like beef.

Second that. I've fed it to people who never realized they weren't eating beef.

jrnj5k
05-29-2009, 10:38
i use it for texture and nutrition rather than flavor. i toss it into my mashed potatoes

Dicentra
06-08-2009, 00:07
This may be a useless suggestion if you are a vegetarian, but I use (plain usually but chicken flavored would work just as well) TVP to stretch my dried canned chicken... Mix 2:1 or so chicken to TVP. I dry the chicken without draining on fruit roll sheets.