PDA

View Full Version : Time to Play, Summer 09

Chaco Taco
05-21-2009, 17:41
So this is the time of year that alot of us actually get out and hike and travel. I am trying to think of where to go next both short term and long term. Id like to start a discussion about what alot of us will be doing with in the coming months. Alot will be doing section hikes of many trails or travelling to other really cool places. So share your plans for play time this summer. Where ya goin? Whatcha doin? Who's goin? How long ya goin? Did you take any pictures? Share a link. I hope everyone enjoys there spring and summer. Make sure you get out and hike. And remember to thank your maintainers, volunteers, trail clubs, and fellow hikers this summer by packing out your trash and any you see this summer! It was shown in Damascus this past weekend that hikers can be respectful of other places and leave it clean! :sun

Roughin' It
05-21-2009, 18:12
hiking through Shenandoah National Park starting next week. planning on making it a week long trip. Going with 3 other people i think..
Other than that I will just have to settle on dayhikes and weekend hikes in between traveling to different places for weddings.
Not only is summer adventure season, it's also wedding season!

fancyfeet
05-21-2009, 18:20
I'm going to Iceland for 3 weeks. I plan to hike the Laugavegur Trail, dayhikes in Skaftafell NP (no backcounty allowed), maybe a few days on the Reykjanes Pennisula (1000+ year old trail!) and spend a few days in the Hornstrandir (no roads, no permanent residents, dropped off by ferry) region of the Westfjords - 2800 ft sheer drop to the sea!

I'm also driving out west and plan to do a few small hikes (2-5 days) in WY and WA (Olympic NP) and wherever else I have time to go.

I can't wait! See Iceland pics below.

Note the tiny hikers in pic 2. :sun

P.S. Thanks for asking, Chaco.

fancyfeet
05-21-2009, 18:24
P.P.S. Not my pics.

Chaco Taco
05-21-2009, 18:44
I'm going to Iceland for 3 weeks. I plan to hike the Laugavegur Trail, dayhikes in Skaftafell NP (no backcounty allowed), maybe a few days on the Reykjanes Pennisula (1000+ year old trail!) and spend a few days in the Hornstrandir (no roads, no permanent residents, dropped off by ferry) region of the Westfjords - 2800 ft sheer drop to the sea!

I'm also driving out west and plan to do a few small hikes (2-5 days) in WY and WA (Olympic NP) and wherever else I have time to go.

Awesome pics, Im jealous.

SO I forgot to say what Team Chacopak will be doing this spring/summer. July we are going to Marvins Mountaintop, WVA for the Allgood Music Festival. Should be a great time! Lookin at some days to go on a hike and would really like to venture off the AT. Thinkin about the BMT or a loop trail in the Smokies. Would really like to take advantage of the Park this time of year

Buzz_Lightfoot
05-21-2009, 18:53
Just going to get out when I can where ever I can around my home. Day hikes in the Delaware Water Gap NP and over nighters on the AT in NJ. This weekend I am going to hike south from Rt. 23 at High Point to the first shelter and try out my new Hennessy Hammock I bought at Trail Days. I can't think of the name of the shelter. I've been going there for 30 years you would think it would have sunk in by now. :-? On the wild chance someone reads this and is there too give a wave! Go back BEHIND the shelter a hundred feet or so and there are a ton of nice grassy spots for tenting and also plenty of trees for hanging.

In the third week in June and also the second week in September I will be staying at Lake Eaton Campground in the central Adirondacks. Site 52. We tend to just sleep there. I just it as a base camp to visit the surrounding areas. I love the Adirondacks and hope to move there someday.

Take care,
Al

Blissful
05-21-2009, 19:22
Well we're headed to Utah and the western states in a little over two weeks starting early June, yeah! Gonna do day hikes in Bryce and Arches with a raft trip in Moab, then on to Lassen Peak, Crater Lake (depending on snow), Rainier, among other things. Maybe get that vision for the PCT one day. :)

RichardD
05-21-2009, 19:23
I plan to hike from Damascus to Harpers Ferry, my frirst AT hike. I have scheduled about 7 weeks for this hike stating early June.
The hike is to be followed with a week on the Colorado Trail early August. I will hike from Molas to Durango, this is the section that did not complete in 2007.
For those who are interested I have a Trailjournal on Trailjournals.com.

10-K
05-21-2009, 19:45
I'm very excited that my wife is going to go on her first overnight hike with me next month. We're going to hike from Pen Mar park to Harper's Ferry.

Ordered her pack today!

Other than that, I might try to knock out some of the AT in PA in July.

fancyfeet
05-21-2009, 23:05
Awesome pics, Im jealous.

SO I forgot to say what Team Chacopak will be doing this spring/summer. July we are going to Marvins Mountaintop, WVA for the Allgood Music Festival. Should be a great time! Lookin at some days to go on a hike and would really like to venture off the AT. Thinkin about the BMT or a loop trail in the Smokies. Would really like to take advantage of the Park this time of year

Thanks, Chaco. You two have fun!

Everyone's trips sound awesome. Get out there and have fun.

Tinker
05-22-2009, 00:15
I'd like to host a "Parade of Fools" sometime around my birthday (Jul 22) to visit Peanut (thruhiked in '08 with Wrongway). A short hike on the Long Trail over Mt. Mansfield (highest in Vt.) and possibly a little more.
I also plan on finishing New York and most or all of New Jersey by fall.

zoidfu
05-22-2009, 00:21
My girlfriend, the dogs, and myself are going to Assateague in two weeks and Nantahala in August with plenty in between.:banana

Czechtrecker
05-22-2009, 00:42
I leaving soon for Munich, Germany for a couple of weeks on business. I have at least 4 days that I plan to do some day hiking in Bavaria and Austria. Have a White Mountain section hike planned for the end of June and Katahdin in September.

Marta
05-22-2009, 06:46
I have signed up for this:

http://www.ncsports.org/cncevent1.php

I will be spending a lot of time on a bike for the next few months.

And some friends are moving to Costa Rica next week. They have a guest cottage...

Cabin Fever
05-22-2009, 08:17
I, along with others, are going to the AT Conference in Rutland in July and hiking south after it is over. We will probably go to Bennington and then head home. Lots of other local stuff.

Rockhound
05-22-2009, 10:02
Leaving on July 22 for Katahdin and plan on hiking south to Glencliff.

OldStormcrow
05-22-2009, 10:12
I'm going on a dayhike around Roan Mountain next Tuesday, then I'm going "aqua-blazing" next Wednesday on an overnight whitewater canoe trip on the Chatooga River......great place for a steak over the fire and a good pinot noir!

rpenczek
05-22-2009, 10:18
Well, not hiking, but going to spend a week in the keys sailing with my Scouts in mid June.

Then, working in Maine the last week of June and plan on a day hike up Katahdin.

Then, taking my Scouts on an AT hike the first week of August from Roan High Knob to the Kinkora hostel and then rafting in WVA over the end weekend.

What a great summer.

flemdawg1
05-22-2009, 11:54
Alot more car camping and dayhiking w/ the kiddos, but will still try to get in a overnight trip or 2.
Car camping: This weekend Oak Mtn SP AL
June 7-11 Grayton Beach SP FL
July 10-12 Shawnnee SP OH

Backpacking:
June 17-20 Sipsey Wilderness
Sept? AT Amicalola SP to Neels Gap
OCt 2-4 AT Devils Fork Gap to Erwin

makoboy
05-22-2009, 12:15
Finnish all of Mass and VT on the weekends, and spend a week of august dayhiking in Yellowstone

leeki pole
05-22-2009, 12:24
My high school best friend and I are planning to do the Katy Trail in Missouri on mountain bikes sometime in early August, in memory of our third amigo who passed away from cancer in 1982. We three were inseperable during those fun high school days.

superman
05-22-2009, 12:45
Great way to honor your friend. Enjoy.

Foyt20
05-22-2009, 16:27
I prob have a couple of weekenders still in me for this summer,but the big thing i have to do is my Wedding August 8th, and then it is off to Jamacia for a weeklong honeymoon which will probably have some out doors stuff

johnnybgood
05-22-2009, 19:24
Plan on some day hiking in the Whites in third week of June.
Hopefully the Deet and the Perm...whatever crap you spray on your clothes will deter the black flies long enough to get in a few good hikes.

Pony
05-22-2009, 23:28
Mostly been going to Zaleski S.F. and Wayne N.F here in Ohio. If everything goes according to plan, I'll be heading north out of Damascus in September for two months.

BTW, really jealous about that Allgood festival. YMSB cancelled their winter tour so I missed them in Columbus. However, I was able to get ahold of a ticket to see Phish next month in Pittsburgh.

Pokey2006
05-23-2009, 00:47
Always fun to see what adventures other adventurers are planning.

Me, I'm enroute to Arizona as I type for some visiting with friends and day hiking. Then, home to New England in July. Definitely gonna do some dayhiking and backpacking in the Whites...gotta work on my NH 48!

I'm just starting to plot and plan for more adventures later in the summer and fall.

Lilred
05-23-2009, 23:51
I love these kinds of threads.....

Last weekend a friend and I went up to Northern Michigan and canoed the Ausable River and went horseback riding on Mackinac Island.

This Monday morning (Memorial Day) I leave to go on my section hike. I'm starting at James River and hiking to Harper's Ferry. (I hope). Hubbie will pick me up and we're going to spend a few days in NY with family. Then, before school starts, I hope to either go white water rafting at NOC, or go to Key West. decisions decisions.

Jester2000
05-24-2009, 17:03
I love these kinds of threads.....

Last weekend a friend and I went up to Northern Michigan and canoed the Ausable River and went horseback riding on Mackinac Island.

This Monday morning (Memorial Day) I leave to go on my section hike. I'm starting at James River and hiking to Harper's Ferry.

See you when you get here!

mweinstone
05-24-2009, 17:05
see you when you get hair.

Nean
05-24-2009, 17:59
I'm leaving next week to finish the AT I started in 02.:banana (Don't like the banana?) :banana:banana:banana:banana
Somehow I was lead astray by a blaze of a different color. :eek:
The PLAN:
I'll hike 3/4 of the trail during the next few months. Don't know where I'll start (probably SNP) w/ Sly or finish (probably Damascus) w/ I.D.H.F.H. I do plan on being on top of Katahdin July 8th to remember my first time there in 89. :)

Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones!!!:D:D:D

Sleepy the Arab
05-24-2009, 18:33
Long Trail for me.

I have kind of a silly impulse though, with the time I'm taking, to instead hike from Pinkham Notch to Katahdin. This would finish up my first thru on the 10 year anniversary. Except, I have already done that. And I'd have to change my license plate if I did.

Anyway, LT for me in July. If I have some extra time, I may also do the Northville Placid Trail in the 'dacks.

JJJ
05-24-2009, 19:18

Iceland has always been a dream destination for me, Have fun.

I'm going to bicycle the Parkway in SNP next week with friends.
Headed to the Wasatch around solstice to run a relay with some internet friends, and visit some NPs with my bride of 30 years.
Might mosy on down to the Balds of Roan, just to take a look.
Otherwise, probably hangout in Grayson Highlands area, pick berries I hope.
jjj

Chaco Taco
05-24-2009, 20:26
Mostly been going to Zaleski S.F. and Wayne N.F here in Ohio. If everything goes according to plan, I'll be heading north out of Damascus in September for two months.

BTW, really jealous about that Allgood festival. YMSB cancelled their winter tour so I missed them in Columbus. However, I was able to get ahold of a ticket to see Phish next month in Pittsburgh.

Yea Phish sux IMHO.

Pony
05-24-2009, 22:49
Yea Phish sux IMHO.

Doesn't sound like a very humble opinion. Don't like their music, or think they're just crappy musicians?

Rockhound
05-24-2009, 23:05
my schedule just cleared up considerably. Gonna be doing some hiking trips around the Damascus area real soon before I head up to Maine July 22nd.

Nean
05-25-2009, 03:47
. YMSB cancelled their winter tour so I missed them in Columbus.

why they cancel? A friend wrote a bunch of their songs, lots of bluegrass in colorado, good stuff:)

Terraducky
05-25-2009, 09:32
Heading out to St Anthony's Wilderness for a 3-nighter..... A few of us already hiked around the Lehigh River area.

I think some day-hikes closer to home oughta keep me happy. There are plenty of places to explore right here in my own backyard (and I better see them quick since the Poconos are turning into a giant housing development real fast)!

Pony
05-25-2009, 10:44
why they cancel? A friend wrote a bunch of their songs, lots of bluegrass in colorado, good stuff:)

They were pretty hush hush about it, but the best I could gather, one of the guys had some family issues to deal with and another had to take some time off to let his voice heal. Unfortunate, but I understand, still bummed no less. Ever heard of Oakhurst? They're out of Denver. Who is your friend?

Nean
05-25-2009, 13:48
They were pretty hush hush about it, but the best I could gather, one of the guys had some family issues to deal with and another had to take some time off to let his voice heal. Unfortunate, but I understand, still bummed no less. Ever heard of Oakhurst? They're out of Denver. Who is your friend?
Not yet...!
Benny Galloway aka Burle. Infamous Stringdusters do some of his songs as well. Broke Mountain, another and I'm sure there are more. Check out his last band at waywordsons.com The title song Poor Boys Delight was the most requested bluegrass song ('dusters cover) on sirius a year or so ago. The whole CD is great.:)

Chaco Taco
05-26-2009, 19:47
Doesn't sound like a very humble opinion. Don't like their music, or think they're just crappy musicians?

Their music is ok. I think Trey WAS a great artist before he got strung out. Mainly, its the Phans!

Chaco Taco
05-26-2009, 19:48

Heard it was just burnout. Been touring relentlessly for over 4 years

Hotrod
05-27-2009, 12:20
I'm leaving next week to finish the AT I started in 02.:banana (Don't like the banana?) :banana:banana:banana:banana
Somehow I was lead astray by a blaze of a different color. :eek:
The PLAN:
I'll hike 3/4 of the trail during the next few months. Don't know where I'll start (probably SNP) w/ Sly or finish (probably Damascus) w/ I.D.H.F.H. I do plan on being on top of Katahdin July 8th to remember my first time there in 89. :)

Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones!!!:D:D:D

Nean, I have a picture of your last shelter entry before you got off the trail in '02. Glad to see that you will be finishing up your 02 hike. Is Cooler still alive and well?