PDA

View Full Version : tent space between Springer and Hot Springs

Cannibal69
05-22-2009, 20:14
My son and I will be at springer around June 14.
Onward toward Hot Springs
Do the shelters provide space for tents?

To me I would think the bears have figured out the shelters mean food.

I would like to avoid the crowds.

Any advice?

Rockhound
05-22-2009, 20:48
you can tent where ever you please with the exception of GSMNP where they require you stay in shelters if there is room.

jbwood5
05-22-2009, 21:42
There are a very few areas where camping is not allowed along the trail. I noticed last week that you are not allowed to camp between Bird Gap and Blood Mtn. There are camping spots around the shelters and you can use the steel cable hoists for your bear bag or if you are away from the shelter, use an overhanging branch and a rope to keep your bag 10 feet above the ground and 6 to 8 feet away from a tree trunk. I had no problems when I was hiking in GA last week. I never saw a bear but heard a few stories about them, including one from the lady ridge runner who stayed with us in the shelter at Tray Mtn. If you take reasonable care, it should not be an issue.

Lone Wolf
05-22-2009, 21:44
My son and I will be at springer around June 14.
Onward toward Hot Springs
Do the shelters provide space for tents?

To me I would think the bears have figured out the shelters mean food.

I would like to avoid the crowds.

Any advice?

plenty of tent sites before and after all shelters in the south

bigcranky
05-23-2009, 12:49
Also plenty of good tent sites *at* the shelters, if you like the idea of nearby water and a table on which to prepare meals. And the occasional company of other hikers.

Reid
05-23-2009, 13:29
plenty of tent sites before and after all shelters in the south

that's kinda what I was thinking

Cannibal69
05-23-2009, 21:12
you can tent where ever you please with the exception of GSMNP where they require you stay in shelters if there is room.

And if there is "no room" at the shelter will the mounties lock you up?

bigcranky
05-23-2009, 21:39

They feed you to the bears.

No, you just tent outside the shelter.

Rockhound
05-23-2009, 22:10
After a thorough body cavity search and a delightful round of water boarding.

stranger
05-25-2009, 22:36
Learn the PCT method of hanging food if you are not using the bear cables

stranger
05-27-2009, 07:51
Was thinking about this some more, and now that I think about it campsites are everywhere down south. I recall seeing campsites at almost every single summit or the top of ridges, after almost all road crossings, and certainly at every shelter, and usually a few good ones for a mile or two after shelters. There also seems to be good campsites just outside of major trail towns, very helpful when you are getting a late start.

Gray Blazer
05-27-2009, 07:54
After a thorough body cavity search and a delightful round of water boarding.

Don't forget the women's panties on your head and human pyramids.

callook66
06-05-2009, 06:54
there's a wonderful hammock zone about 30 yards from the shelter on top of blood mountain

Hooch
06-05-2009, 08:42
If you're tenting, make sure to crash on top of Max Patch and enjoy both sunset and sunrise from there. If you're hammocking, hang on the north side of Max Patch and walk up to the summit for the aforementioned sunset and sunrise.