PDA

View Full Version : Pearisburg to Harpers (june-july) advise, comments, must see

chefbrian1
05-22-2009, 22:30
Hello,

I am heading out June 1 from pearisburg to harpers to complete another leg of my section thru-hike. The plan is to hike this section then new hampshire next summer and maine the following year to complete the trail.

My dehydrator is going full blast with veggies and my living room is a mess with all of my equipment. I am especially excited about my experimenting with sauce leather, which is a trick I picked up form the lip smacking backpacking book. They suggest making salsa leather using a dehydrator, but I have also made sauce leather from a bunch of indian simmer sauces and curries.

If possible, I would love any heads up about this section of the trail: water sources, great hostels to stay, places to eat, great shelters, must do activities, updates not found in the thru hikers guide or anything to watch out for.

Thanks

Chef Brian

Hokie
05-23-2009, 06:17
Hello,

I am heading out June 1 from pearisburg to harpers to complete another leg of my section thru-hike. The plan is to hike this section then new hampshire next summer and maine the following year to complete the trail.

My dehydrator is going full blast with veggies and my living room is a mess with all of my equipment. I am especially excited about my experimenting with sauce leather, which is a trick I picked up form the lip smacking backpacking book. They suggest making salsa leather using a dehydrator, but I have also made sauce leather from a bunch of indian simmer sauces and curries.

If possible, I would love any heads up about this section of the trail: water sources, great hostels to stay, places to eat, great shelters, must do activities, updates not found in the thru hikers guide or anything to watch out for.

Thanks

Chef Brian

Homeplace all you can eat homestyle restaurant in Catawba can't be missed! It is an old farmhouse converted into a very popular restaurant. They are accustomed to hikers and when you arrive, most hikers put their packs on the side porch.

sparky2000
05-23-2009, 09:50
When u start at pearbrg, bring water. The 1st shelter has water .5 mi away - the next good water is about 6-8 hrs at the next shelter...plenty of water there, in fact u could take a stream bath there.

Skyline
05-23-2009, 10:56
When you get up to SNP, you'll learn that it isn't flat, it isn't void of rocks, and you actually cannot eat in restaurants three meals a day. Them's the rumors that seem to get started in Georgia among the new class of thru-hikers each year, and then they get here and learn it's not quite accurate. Easier than NC/TN—yes. Flat, rockless, with buffets everywhere—no.

Oh, and despite the AT being routed close to these places called Waysides where you can do short-term resupplies, get burgers, blackberry shakes, and beer—when you come to the first "wayside" north of the Park be prepared for a big letdown. :mad:

Rain Man
05-23-2009, 12:50
Oh, and despite the AT being routed close to these places called Waysides where you can do short-term resupplies, get burgers, blackberry shakes, and beer—when you come to the first "wayside" north of the Park be prepared for a big letdown. :mad:

Ain't that the truth?!!! "Wayside" seems to mean whatever they want. None of them are the same, and one (Panorama) isn't even open, even though it's in the guidebook.

BTW, the rest of what Skyline said is true, too!

Rain:sunMan

Red Hat
05-23-2009, 14:50
This is a fabulous section, with lots to enjoy. June/July will be hot, so hike early and late, taking breaks in the heat of the afternoon. Stop and enjoy the streams, creeks, and rivers. Sit for a bit at the Rice Field Viewpoint outside of Pearisburg. Savor the walks along meadows in western VA. Take your picture by the big oak. Stop at the Howard Johnsons right on the trail (practically) in Daleville. BBQ and Mexican Food await... Stay at the Bryant Ridge shelter (an architectural wonder) Folks agree on the Dutch Haus. I loved Rusty's, but some disagree. Waynesboro is the second best town on the AT, with the best Trail Angel system around. Take your time through SNP, then don't forget to stop at the Bears Den before you head on into Harpers Ferry. Have a great hike!

Nean
05-23-2009, 15:31
When you get up to SNP, you'll learn that it isn't flat, it isn't void of rocks, and you actually cannot eat in restaurants three meals a day. Them's the rumors that seem to get started in Georgia among the new class of thru-hikers each year, and then they get here and learn it's not quite accurate. Easier than NC/TN—yes. Flat, rockless, with buffets everywhere—no.

Well, you can eat in restaurants 3 meals a day- depending on how fast you walk or care to hitch and the "letdown" depends entirely on what you expect- no? :)

Skyline
05-23-2009, 16:30
Ain't that the truth?!!! "Wayside" seems to mean whatever they want. None of them are the same, and one (Panorama) isn't even open, even though it's in the guidebook.

Panorama is in a 2009 guidebook--listed as a restaurant? It ceased being a restaurant in 2001. It stayed open as a gift shop til 2004. It was demolished in 2008.

Skyline
05-23-2009, 16:34
Well, you can eat in restaurants 3 meals a day- depending on how fast you walk or care to hitch and the "letdown" depends entirely on what you expect- no? :)

Many hikers, upon arriving at Tom Floyd "Wayside," are expecting burgers, beer, shakes, ice cream. What they get is a decent shelter, a spring that dries up by mid-summer some years, a privy...

Let's start a campaign to have PATC rename it "Tom Floyd Shelter" instead of confusing folks with "Wayside." Is there any other shelter on the whole AT designated as a "Wayside"?

Nean
05-23-2009, 18:25
Many hikers, upon arriving at Tom Floyd "Wayside," are expecting burgers, beer, shakes, ice cream. What they get is a decent shelter, a spring that dries up by mid-summer some years, a privy...

Let's start a campaign to have PATC rename it "Tom Floyd Shelter" instead of confusing folks with "Wayside." Is there any other shelter on the whole AT designated as a "Wayside"?
Many? I don't know about that...:-? Seems almost impossible to tell the truth, given all the info, etc..... wait a second, u b funning w/ me Skyline? ! Good one!:banana

chefbrian1
05-24-2009, 01:05
Thanks for all of the advise and reality check.

I factored about a 5-6 day stretch in SNP where I planned to have a soda and a cheese burger and possible shower each day if all goes well.

Just laid out all of my equipment to organize. Boy do I have a lot of stuff. Not too much, just not sure how I am going to organize it in my pack.

Tomorrow is a beef jerky and dried chicken production day. This is my first year prepping my own food. I have been drying all sorts of veggies from bags of frozen varieties (peppers, broccoli, peas, corn, stir fry mixes, carrots). I also plan to dry some Thai curry paste to see how it work in my dehydrator for a trail meal of Thai noodles with salmon and veggies.

Still not sure what kind of bread I plan to take. Any advise on bagels, english muffin or bread brands that keeps well on the trail...even long enough to sit in a mail drop for like a week?

Thanks

Chef Brian

bigcranky
05-24-2009, 09:11
Flour tortillas. Love 'em, and they last for a week+ (except I always eat them faster than that.) You can put anything on a tortilla -- PB&J, tuna, refried beans, instant hummus, deli meat, whatever.

On the trail, be sure to allow plenty of time to cross MacAfee Knob and the Tinker Cliffs. Take the whole day to hang out there. This is an awesome stretch of trail. There are some very cool campsites along Tinker Cliffs -- just watch out when you answer the call of nature in the middle of the night.

bigcranky
05-24-2009, 09:12
Let me add that tortillas have lasted me several weeks unopened in a mail drop.

Skyline
05-24-2009, 19:51
Many? I don't know about that...:-? Seems almost impossible to tell the truth, given all the info, etc..... wait a second, u b funning w/ me Skyline? ! Good one!:banana

The name is a cruel trick played on hikers (many hikers, or maybe just "some" hikers...same deal).

The fact is that Tom Floyd "Wayside" is just an overnight hiker shelter in the woods, coming right after three places in SNP also called "waysides" which are commercial businesses selling food, beer, wine, ice cream, and other supplies. Many (some?) hikers arrive at Tom Floyd expecting this "wayside" to be like the other three, but it ain't. They all survive, but wouldn't it be better to call it something other than a "wayside?"

chefbrian1
05-25-2009, 14:17
Does anyone know if Rusty's takes mail drops?

Chef Brian

Skyline
05-26-2009, 09:31
Does anyone know if Rusty's takes mail drops?

Chef Brian

Probably not. His mailing address is actually a mailbox about a half-mile from the Hollow. Not large enough to accommodate many maildrops. And if your box wouldn't fit in the mailbox, the mail delivery person would just leave a notice. That would require Rusty to make a long trip to the PO to take care of your maildrop. Multiply that by a dozen hikers and I'd think it would cause Rusty to be in a foul mood.

The Dutch Haus (or the PO) in Montebello, or the PO in Waynesboro, would be better places to send a maildrop. You could still visit Rusty at the Hollow.

chefbrian1
05-26-2009, 11:39
Thanks skyline. Rusty's was kind of a bonus drop if it worked out. I am planning on doing a fair amount of mail drop...7 for a 30-35 day hike including one additional at the end to have travel clothes for the train home. Its part of my light weight hiking strategy.

chefbrian1
05-29-2009, 12:57
Can anyone tell me about the Long Mtn wayside...on US60 on mile 797.1 (northbound).

It says groceries in the thru hikers book, but there is no info, just stuff about buena vista 9 miles away.

Chef Brian

Blissful
05-29-2009, 13:42
Can anyone tell me about the Long Mtn wayside...on US60 on mile 797.1 (northbound).

It says groceries in the thru hikers book, but there is no info, just stuff about buena vista 9 miles away.

Chef Brian

There's a Loft Mtn wayside in Shenandoah NP. Sound like the same name. :)

But on US 60 you'll need a hitch either way to get supplies.

Blissful
05-29-2009, 13:44
Don't need a drop in Waynesboro. It has everythng you need (like a huge Kroger). And a great outfitter.

Be sure to prepare for ticks. Very bad from SNP north. Treat your clothes, etc.

Blissful
05-29-2009, 13:45
Let me add that tortillas have lasted me several weeks unopened in a mail drop.

Depends on the brand. Some do. Some I have received moldy. Better to buy fresh if you can.

Skyline
05-29-2009, 14:38

Chef Brian

Long Mt. "Wayside" on US 60, at the AT crossing, is just a place to park. There is no store there. Three campstores/grills in Shenandoah National Park to the north use the term "wayside" but this isn't one of them.

Closest resupply would be Buena Vista, quite a ways to the west, not too far from I-81.

At one time there was a small mom/pop grocery store about a mile west (downhill) from Long Mt. Wayside, but it closed many years ago. The woman who ran it was quite elderly. Last time I was up that way, in 2007, it was being used as a residence. I am unaware that it ever reopened as a store. How old is your book? Which book is it?

chefbrian1
05-29-2009, 17:07
Thanks for hooking me up with all of the great info. The thru hiker guide 2009 has a G for grocery the Long Mtn. I am glad you helped clear it up.

I have since decided to take my tent which add some weight, but it will provide greater flexibility and even stay overs at some of the campgrounds.

chef brian

Blissful
05-29-2009, 19:16
I have since decided to take my tent which add some weight, but it will provide greater flexibility and even stay overs at some of the campgrounds.

chef brian

Smart move. :)

Kanati
05-29-2009, 23:50

Yep, over rated and over priced.

chefbrian1
05-31-2009, 00:52
Skyline: I have the 2009 thru hikers handbook

I packed and weighed my pack for the first time today. My tent weighs 2.12 pound. I had 6 days worth of food, 1 1/2 quarts of water, 12 oz of fuel, my cell phone, camera and chargers, a few pieces of warm clothes and the rest. My total came to 30 LBs.

I am going to give it another look to try and drop weight, but I am happy with the result. Six days will be my maximum for food supply. Most other resupplies are 3-4 day between drops, or towns. I am carrying 2 pounds a food a day, but I have a feeling that I might be carrying too much. I figure my first week on the trail will be the test.

The tent was the big decision, almost 3 pounds. In my past three section hikes, I did not bring a tent or any type of shelter. I hiked from shelter to shelter strictly. This worked out OK, but I felt that it was restricting and it made me uneasy about potentially getting shut out of a shelter on rainy days.

I am a lite weight hiker, but probably not a ultra lite hiker. I probably could dump five pounds by bringing less food and leaving the tent, but I am not at least until I have real trail knowledge of my food needs which I can only find out on the trail.

Thanks for again for all the great info. Please keep it coming if you think of anything that would be good to know about the pearisburg-harper ferry section.

Chef Brian

Skyline
05-31-2009, 15:08
Chef Brian,

Your weights are not out of the norm, unless you consider ultralight the norm. If you want to shave a little off the food, you might ask yourself if you will be as hungry on days 1, 2, and 3 as you will be on days 10, 11, and 12. If you're like many of us the answer might be "no." But as always YMMV.

Rain Man
06-05-2009, 07:08
If possible, I would love any heads up about this section of the trail: water sources, great hostels to stay, ....

I just returned from a section hike James River-to-Rockfish Gap. We stayed at the Dutch Haus in Montebello, VA. We were very impressed and my hiking partner even went back for a second night. It's down Fish Hatchery Road (name change to/from Spy Rock Road) just south of The Priest. I'd sure go back to the Dutch Haus!

Lugnut
06-05-2009, 15:11
How was the water situation? Springs running?