PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Charge AA Chargers for iPod, Phone, etc.

mooseboy
05-23-2009, 22:38
Hey, all!

In my various hikes, I've never brought an iPod because I figured I'd run out of power quickly, and then be unable to recharge for days. I know many hikers use them, but I didn't think they'd stay powered for long enough to be worthwhile.

Lately, though, I'd been doing a lot of comparison shopping online for comparable AA or AAA chargers for phones, iPods, etc., and this one ended up seeming the best:

I just bought this for around $20 (although not through Amazon but over-the counter):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000R1C42O/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

It's known as the Turbo Charge TC2 (the 2 is actually "squared"), and can use any type of AA batteries to keep your iPod, cell phone, etc. charged...

For a look at their full line, look here:
http://www.adrenalinetechnologies.com/products.asp#1

I don't mean to sound like I'm advertising for this company (perhaps I missed my true calling :D), since I'd never heard of them before a couple weeks ago. But they do seem to be very comprehensive when it comes to the range of devices it supports.

Although they sell this unit in various packages (iPod, Blackberry, cell phone), they are all basically the exact same device with a different adapter cord. You can get more adapter cords from the company(the first one is FREE), so by getting this I can re-power not just my iPod, but also my cell phone, without being anywhere near an AC Outlet. According to reviewers, it also works on the iPhone-- I don't have one, so can't test this theory.

Bonus #2 for backpackers: the charger has a 2-led flashlight built in, which can be used separately, and well after the batteries have lost the full power to charge the electronic device. So you can leave a spare LED light at home (not sure if I'd use it as my one & only light, though...)!

Apparently--and this is somewhat important-- it will not charge a fully depleted battery. It's important to plug this into your device before all the power is gone. But that should be pretty easy to deal with.

I know some folks here eschew any electronic gadgets in the backcountry, and that's fine... but I have found that the majority of my fellow hikers seem to have at least a cell phone, a small radio, and more recently, an mp3 player as wel (or in lieu of the radio).

Hope this helps anyone looking for a cheap, comprehensive charger! Oh, and it's only 3 oz. This also increases the carrying possibilities for hikers who carry solar battery chargers-- combined with this they have virtually unlimited charging capability without ever seeing an AC outlet.

Sorry this was so damn long. I didn't mean for it to get out of hand. :rolleyes:

Caveat: I have not tested this device in the field yet. Once I do, I'll add a follow-up. Cheers!

fiddlehead
05-23-2009, 23:34
Thanks for that Mooseboy.
One of the reasons I come on whiteblaze so often is to find these kind of new gadgets that will help me out there.
This looks like one i'm going to try also.

I don't understand why you wouldn't use it as your only flashlight. Unless you think it wouldn't last the trip. (and then what good is the whole device anyway?)

Snowleopard
05-24-2009, 12:10
Their one AA battery charger for non-fancy cell phones, etc looks interesting at 1.7 oz.
http://www.amazon.com/Turbo-Charge-TC300-Portable-Charger/dp/B0018MHENA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243181180&sr=1-2

mooseboy
05-24-2009, 15:32
Yes, that one's made by the same company. :) It only takes one AA and is smaller, slightly lighter, cheaper, etc. plus all the adapters work on all the same devices (including the fancier ones);).

I briefly considered getting that one instead, but a) the charge wasn't good for nearly as long, b) no built-in flashlight, and c) the reviews for the TC2 were much more positive (I saw a lot of people hating on the TC300 for some reason). Still, it's no bigger than a tube of Chapstick.:cool:

There's also an item called the Duracell MyPocket that does essentially the same thing as the Turbo Charge, but so far the TC2 seems to lead the market.

mooseboy
06-05-2009, 14:42
I don't understand why you wouldn't use it as your only flashlight. Unless you think it wouldn't last the trip. (and then what good is the whole device anyway?)

It actually would make a good LED flashlight all by itself; it's powerful and lightweight. However, it's not waterproof, and I'm not sure I'd want to have it out while trying to do stuff in the rain. (Sure, you can wrap it in a Ziploc and shine the light through, but for full functionality as a headlamp, you'd have to rig a strap yourself.)

And since I have a terrific little Black Diamond waterproof LED headlamp which weighs next to nothing, I'll probably continue to use it as my "outdoor" light, and perhaps the TurboCharge as my tent/dry weather lamp.

Also, my free additional adapter arrived, and it seems to charge my cell phone just fine. Now if I could only convince myself to leave behind my chargers for the iPod and phone...

Dogwood
06-05-2009, 15:24
Thanks for the info. Although, I've never used one there are small very light wt(about 3 oz) rather inexpensive hand cranked battery chargers available too. I've seen pictures and info about them posted here on WB.

Just as an added note, I have found the AA and AAA EverReady Lithium Ultra batteries the longest lasting batteries for my camera, headlamp, and mp3 player while out on the trail. I thought the EverReady Lithium batteries lasted the longest, by far, of any battery that I've tested in temps from 0* F. to 110* F. , but EverReady has even improved upon them with the Lithium Ultras. They are pricey, but if I pick them up at a discount store like WallyWorld the financial sting isn't as much; one has to consider they are buying less batteries with less inconvenience. I'm really surprised how long the Ultras have lasted and have consequently found myself not needing the batteries included in scheduled mailed resupply points. I've been giving the extras away along the trail.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-05-2009, 15:35
I have 2 chargers like these and like them both, one is a single AA battery charger and the other from Energizer takes 2 AA batteries. The only thing I do not like about these chargers is that they don't seem to fully charge my cell phone. In defense of the chargers though I used a sidekick last year and a G1 this year, both of which are power hogs. I am Using Energizer Rechargeable 2450 mah batteries this year, which I hope will work much better than the Nicad batteries I have used.

mooseboy
06-05-2009, 16:41
I have 2 chargers like these and like them both, one is a single AA battery charger and the other from Energizer takes 2 AA batteries. The only thing I do not like about these chargers is that they don't seem to fully charge my cell phone.

It's true, they are not really made to restore your power level to fully charged. However, if you use your phone/device with the charging device on, it should prevent the battery from losing any power. (This isn't always practical, of course.)

According to Adrenaline's website FAQ, this one operates best if you charge while the device itself is OFF, and never let the charge level get totally drained if you can help it.

Dogwood, I don't have much experience with Lithium batteries. Are these rechargeable or one-time? I assume you mean they're one-time batteries that just last a really long time? (I did bring a NiMH battery charger on a trip once, decided it wasn't worth the weight...)

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-05-2009, 17:06
I bought a solar charger, but it shuts off and need to be reset when the battery is about half full. So I decided I should make a solar charger myself. I have a 12 volt 1.5 amp solar panel I bought at Harbor freight for 15 dollars, and I am using 8 rechargeable batteries for my power storage.
On the plus side, it charges my phone as well as my truck will, and it keeps me supplied with fully charged AA batteries.
On the downside it is heavy weighing it at a back breaking 2 pounds 1.5 ounces, including the batteries which make up half the weight.

Dogwood
06-05-2009, 17:16
The batteries I mentioned are not rechargable. I should have stated this in my first statement.

Dogwood
06-05-2009, 17:29
Dogwood, I don't have much experience with Lithium batteries. Are these rechargeable or one-time? I assume you mean they're one-time batteries that just last a really long time? (I did bring a NiMH battery charger on a trip once, decided it wasn't worth the weight...)

Mooseboy, you are getting where I'm coming from. Understand, that I'm one of those long distance thru-hikers who look to strip their kit of any extra wt and bulk. I already despise having to carry cell phone and camera battery chargers on occassion. I wouldn't be carrying a cell phone unless it was largely for someone else's benefit(pay phones are getting scarcer though). For me, I find it simpler to just buy batteries that last the longest and throw them away. Maybe, one day all the electronics that one will care to carry into the woods will operate on the same battery or a simple light wt. battery charger will be invented that will charge all the different batteries. As of yet, I have found neither.

mooseboy
06-14-2009, 15:59
:sunDogwood, thanks for the lithium advice... I just bought a pair for my camera. It already feels lighter. Hopefully they will also last as long as they claim.

Johnny Swank
06-14-2009, 21:41
Very cool. I've seen these things around but never played with one.

I doubt I'd really need one as long as I didn't use my Iphone as a camera, but all bets are off about using it for more than a couple days if I'm taking a bunch of photos. Saves taking another camera though, and the snapshot-level resolution and fixed lens make me think about composition more.

But yeah, cool charger!

mooseboy
06-14-2009, 22:31
Oh yeah, I just read on the company's website that the adapter doesn't work yet for the iPhone 3G, just the early model... but an appropriate adapter should be released by the end of this month.

Since I'm using this same charger for both my (non-iPhone) cell phone and an iPod, I figure it will be worth its weight after about 35 miles.:)