PDA

View Full Version : Tahoe Rim Trail is good to go..

Mags
05-24-2009, 02:43
I just confirmed my details for the Tahoe Rim Trail:
http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/

165 miles of hiking goodness...and with easy logistics!

Starting June 23rd..and I fly out July 1st from Reno. Get to South Lake Tahoe, schlep 4 miles up the road and then I'm on this loop (yeah!) trail around scenic Lake Tahoe. A quick pace..but with the (relatively) easy terrain, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG day light and (hopefully) being in shape, it should be good. Woo hoo!

Homer&Marje
05-24-2009, 10:08
I've done a piece of that trail Mags. Absolutely fantastic time.. Enjoy...and I know you'll bring back pictures.:D

Cookerhiker
05-24-2009, 20:38
I'm considering the Tahoe Rim this September so I'm eager to hear how your hike proceeds.

Sly
05-24-2009, 20:48
I'm considering the Tahoe Rim this September so I'm eager to hear how your hike proceeds.

I don't have my map with me but you can start at a road crossing about 60 miles east of Echo Lake, do a drop at Echo Lake and then do another, or just resupply at the store approximately 60 miles north in Tahoe City. You won't have to leave the trail for either.

The Solemates
05-26-2009, 09:42
awesome. was on the trail for a few dayhikes this past summer and really enjoyed it. would like to hike the trail sometime in the future. looking forward to your report.

Lyle
05-27-2009, 01:10
It's on my schedule for Sept. of 2010. Have a nephew who lives in Stateline (South Lake Tahoe) and he will be providing logistical support!!!! Trail passes within a few blocks of his house on the Kingsbury road walk.

Have a great hike, looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Kerosene
05-27-2009, 10:22
If it's a nice day when you're a mile or so north of Barker Pass, then consider stopping at this lava tuft (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=23793) for a nice view of the lake. What little of the TRT I saw when vacationing in Tahoe, it looked very smooth albeit dusty. Enjoy!

LostInSpace
09-18-2009, 14:04

It was nice to meet you at the Madison Hut in July. I hope the remainder of your hike went well.

I just completed the TRT ... Sep 2-15. My pace was obviously more leisurely than Mag's. I'd be glad to answer any questions you have.

- Airport shuttle from Reno to Crown Motel, Kings Beach ($75 round-trip).
- One night at Crown Motel ($79 inc tax). They held my pack duffel and clean street clothes while I hiked. Farther from the trail-head than Incline Village, but better value.
- Tahoe Mountain Sports, across street from Crown Motel had MSR gas canisters.
- Independent Taxi to trail-head, 530-546-8686, 866-506-8687, ([email protected]), $40 flat rate.
- Hiked clockwise, starting and ending at Tahoe Meadows.
- Resupplied in South Tahoe and Tahoe City.
- Longest day, 18 miles, next to last day, Watson Lake to Gray Lake.
- Most seasonal creeks were dry. Relied mostly on lakes. Some creeks that were to have had reliable water were dry, e.g., Miller Creek. A few seasonal creeks on the west side unexpectedly had water.
- Two dry camps - South Camp Peak (in the trees behind "The Bench" and Twin Peaks (in the trees 100 yds south of the PCT/TRT junction).
- Forget trying to hitch from Echo Summit to South Tahoe. Most of the traffic is tourist ... couldn't get a pickup ... maybe it's my looks!
- Taxi from Echo Summit. Stay away from Lake Tahoe Taxi. Use Yellow Cab — (South Lake Tahoe) 530-542-1234. They take credit cards, too. Taxis are metered. About $40 each way to and from Days Inn in South Tahoe.
- Desolation Permit - If you need an after-hours lock-box pickup, it is only available at the Taylor Creek Visitors Center. It is not available at the Forest Service office near the Days Inn in South Tahoe. Suggest getting the permit by mail in advance. Make excuses if you don't make the entry date.
- Gas canisters are hard to find in South Tahoe. I got mine from the third place I tried ... a large sporting good store in South Tahoe, east of the Days Inn a mile or so. I suggest contacting stores by phone in advance. The first two places I tried were several miles away. I drop box to the PO or to Echo Lakes would have been a better solution.
- Days Inn - I got there after Labor Day, so I did not make reservations. No problem getting a room.
- Tahoe City - The PO is closed on Saturday. Keep that in mind if you are using a drop box.
- Got motel room in Tahoe City at half price (after Labor Day) from Americas Best Value. The Chamber of Commerce recommended Lake Tahoe Inn as the cheapest, but that place would not negotiate price, so Best Value was cheaper ($69).
- Maps - I used the Tom Harrison map, purchased in advance. Also consider the Tahoe Rim Trail Association profile map. The TRTA map was not available at any store in Kings Beach or South Tahoe, so if you want it, order it online in advance. It was available in Tahoe City at AlpenGlow Sports.
- Taxi from Tahoe Meadows back to Kings Beach. My cell phone could not get a signal. There is no pay phone. I asked someone in the parking lot to use their phone and got a signal. I called the taxi that dropped me off two weeks earlier.

LostInSpace
09-18-2009, 14:25
PS: my camping itinerary

Motel - Crown Motel, Kings Beach
Camp - Marlette Peak Campground
Camp - South Camp Peak (dry)
Camp - Star Lake
Camp - Big Meadows - free FS campground 1/2 mile down paved road from trail-head
Camp - Showers Lake
Motel - Days Inn, South Tahoe
Camp - Lake Aloha
Camp - Middle Velma Lake
Camp - Richardson Lake
Camp - Twin Peaks Trail Junction (TRT/PCT) (dry)
Motel - Tahoe City - Americas Best Value
Camp - Watson Lake
Camp - Gray Lake (1/2 mi off trail)
Motel - Crown Motel, Kings Beach

Mags
09-18-2009, 14:31
I posted this info on another thread, but it may be useful to re-post.

Check it out:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Outdoor-Writings/tahoe-rim-trail-journal.html#planning

(I'm going to update it with the known outfitters at King's Beach. Thanks!)