PDA

View Full Version : When are most of the thru-hikers near...

Roughin' It
05-24-2009, 08:23
... the James River Foot Bridge?

I live near the bridge and I was wondering when alot of the hikers are passing through that area so i can talk to them and give them some food and stuff. tanks.

Lemni Skate
05-24-2009, 09:00
I was advised by a thru-hiker that I am supposed to jump or dive off the bridge. I would like to know how deep the water is before I jump in for a potential spinal chord injury.

Roughin' It
05-24-2009, 09:07
the water is very deep there at the foot bridge. I go there several times every summer and jump from the highest part of the bridge and i have never touched the bottom. Once i even swam down to touch the bottom and it took some effort.
However, it's advised that you go out at least 10 yards or so onto the bridge to jump. Some kid died last year jumping off near the set of stairs into the river bank area.

Lemni Skate
05-24-2009, 09:18
Thanks, by the way, I would imagine that now is the beginning of the bulge of thru-hikers and that for the next six weeks you'll see a good crowd of them.

Sleepy the Arab
05-24-2009, 19:40
Judging from my own journals, anytime between May 27th and June 28th. It depends on how motivated and how early a start they got.

Slo-go'en
05-24-2009, 19:50
There will be hikers crossing the river everyday now. In fact, I was standing on the side of the road there in a cold rain trying to hitch into Glasglow about 10 days ago. Many hikers will want a quick ride to town and back for a resupply.