PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Blaze

NashvilleBiscuit
05-24-2009, 12:14
I am currently thru-hiking. I have made it to Pearisburg VA. Some other hikers and I were curious about the aqua blaze. I did a quick search here and heard nothing about it. Don't think I want to do it but I am curious about the details. Can someone tell me about where it starts/ends and any other details that would be helpful. Is there a website about it?:-?

emerald
05-24-2009, 12:54
I don't believe there's an aqua-blaze as in a single, well-publicized route or a website to promote it and provide information about it. What you refer to is something some hikers have done in the past and individuals must make those arrangements for themselves.

There was a recent thread about river routes called What is an aqua-blaze and how do people do it? (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50500&) It's far from a complete listing of the possibilities, but it does provide a few ideas and names of outfitters who might be able to assist with rentals and logistics.

Nean
05-24-2009, 13:39
I've known folks who do it because it does sound kinda fun.:) The ideal usually outshines the reality, but not the sun, on that slow moving river:sun. Most come back sunburn with mixed reviews.:o You miss a fun part of the trail too-- IMO.:-? It also puts you in that very large group of "thru-hikers" who don't actually walk from Ga-Me.:eek:

Rain Man
05-24-2009, 20:47
I am currently thru-hiking. I have made it to Pearisburg VA. Some other hikers and I were curious about the aqua blaze. I did a quick search here and heard nothing about it. Don't think I want to do it but I am curious about the details. Can someone tell me about where it starts/ends and any other details that would be helpful. Is there a website about it?:-?

My daughter Grass and her group decided to aqua blaze around the SNP in '04. Within half an hour, they had wrapped one canoe around a tree (or rock). Another flipped, dumping everything into the river. One hiker was lucky to escape without drowning. They threw in the towel. Wise decision.

Rain:sunMan