PDA

View Full Version : Billville Feed and Fun: June 26, 27, 28

Pages : [1] 2

Jester2000
05-24-2009, 12:59
Hello all! This is the time of year that some of us in Billville realize that the only person who's done any planning for the upcoming Feed is Trail Angel Mary, so here's the scoop:

The park was reserved by other groups for the weekend after July 4th and July 4th weekend itself. As a result, the feed will be held the weekend BEFORE July 4th weekend. I know this is earlier than usual, and that some will not be able to make it because it's coming up so soon and will conflict with prior engagements/work.

That said, I hope to see as many Billvillians and current year hikers as possible on the weekend before July 4th as we enjoy one another's company and do things to a dead pig that horrify vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike.

At some point here I expect Mary to post with a meal schedule of some sort as well as any entertainment we have planned, but for now I will post Mary's address, should Billvillians or others wish to throw some money her way to help defray the cost of the shindig:

Mary Parry
2 Ann Street
Duncannon, PA 17020

Hope to see you all there!

Jester

Jester2000
05-24-2009, 13:09
In this post I will summarize all of the posts that some WBers like to put on this thread because they mistakenly think this is a good thread to start a debate on Feeds, as opposed to what it actually is, which is a purely informational thread.

"Instead of wasting your money doing this, I think you should donate money to the following charities, which are important to me and have nothing to do with your Feed . . ."

"Hikers are sooo spoiled today. When I hiked we suffered the whole way and it was a much more meaningful experience for me."

"Feeds interfere with my wilderness experience, even though this event happens in a town, in a park nowhere near the trail, and I have every opportunity to hike past it if I wish."

"Even though this event is held in a park that is alcohol free and Billville only serves non-alcoholic beverages at it, I'm still somehow outraged that someone, somewhere, might be having fun that involves alcohol."

And anticipating Lone Wolf:
"I promised never to say anything bad about Billville ever again, and it's driving me crazy. Um, thru-hikers are spoiled and ungrateful."

Jester2000
05-24-2009, 13:10
In this post I will summarize my answers to people who like posting the above sort of things:

Cram it.

Nean
05-24-2009, 13:12
Still uncertain about my whereabouts then but hope to make it!:)

Jack Tarlin
05-24-2009, 16:32
Jester is, of course, correct.

Funny thing, tho. The people that come on line again and again to rail about excessive Trail Magic and how needless and horrible it is are precisely the folks you DON'T want to feed or entertain anyway.

So when they stay away it works out swell for everyone.

Mary, have a great event in Duncannon!!

mweinstone
05-24-2009, 16:42
how to have fun. go to feed. stay. sit. roll over. beg. fetch. lay down. speak. want some piggy?

trailangelmary
05-25-2009, 06:33
Jester is, of course, correct.

Funny thing, tho. The people that come on line again and again to rail about excessive Trail Magic and how needless and horrible it is are precisely the folks you DON'T want to feed or entertain anyway.

So when they stay away it works out swell for everyone.

Mary, have a great event in Duncannon!!

You will be there, right?

trailangelmary
05-25-2009, 06:35
Lucky's Karoake is booked for after the 2:00 meal on Saturday.

I have informed Vickie at the Doyle the dates for the feed.

trailangelmary
05-25-2009, 06:40
Stick 05 aka Brian 09 and Wing it 05 aka Selena 09 are hiking north and in Duncannon now. They would love a ride back to the feed if anyone is coming from NH area.

trailangelmary
05-25-2009, 06:41
Stick 05 aka Brian 09 and Wing it 05 aka Selena 09 are hiking north and in Duncannon now. They would love a ride back to the feed if anyone is coming from NH area.

They are enjoying a lot of blue blazing on this their second through hike.

trailangelmary
05-25-2009, 10:29
Thanks to Walkin' Home for the generous cash donation which will be used to pay for the use of the park.

trailangelmary
05-25-2009, 10:39
Have left from last year for use this year - three boxes of veggie burger mix. Each box makes 6 veggie burgers.

ARambler
05-25-2009, 11:07
per Brian and Selena

They are enjoying a lot of blue blazing on this their second through hike.

They were half of all the sobo cdt hikers I met last year. The rest were doing Blue Blazes. (What's a blaze on the cdt?)

Say hi from Rambler

trailangelmary
05-25-2009, 16:29
Here are the notes I have from the meeting of the Billville members that were present last year after the feed. Some are just funny, others are so we are "greener".
1 - hikers use own utensils
2 - towels and rags - no paper
3 - burn barrell for paper
4 - more fresh fruit
5 - 2 x dish soap
6 - radio/music for kitchen crew
7 - 3 x more females!
8 - Hot dog eating contest
9 - staff handle (not sure what this means!)
10 - cleaner/409/bleach
11 - maple syrup - the real stuff
12 - Hawaiian Tropic Models
13 - real can opener
14 - big ziplocs
15 - big pot, tongs,more serving spoons

56 signed in last year.

Canada Goose
05-25-2009, 22:58
Thanks to Walkin' Home for the generous cash donation which will be used to pay for the use of the park.

Yes, he is a very generous guy...:sun

RedneckRye
05-25-2009, 23:43
Here are the notes I have from the meeting of the Billville members that were present last year after the feed. Some are just funny, others are so we are "greener".
1 - hikers use own utensils
2 - towels and rags - no paper
3 - burn barrell for paper
4 - more fresh fruit
5 - 2 x dish soap
6 - radio/music for kitchen crew
7 - 3 x more females!
8 - Hot dog eating contest
9 - staff handle (not sure what this means!)
10 - cleaner/409/bleach
11 - maple syrup - the real stuff
12 - Hawaiian Tropic Models
13 - real can opener
14 - big ziplocs
15 - big pot, tongs,more serving spoons

56 signed in last year.

"Greener" has nothing to do with it. Don't waste money on the instant waste of paper plates and plastic forks. Every hiker that has walked (or claimed to have walked) from Springer up to Duncannon has a spoon and a bowl or pot or cup.
There is NO, or ZERO, or ANY need to provide plates and utensils.
If folks feel the urge to clean their own bowl once they have emptied it, then perhaps a sanitizing station could be set up.

Jack Tarlin
05-26-2009, 09:56
Good point from Redneck.

And having recently shopped for a 100-plus person event, I can assure you that by having hikers use their own utensils, you'll also save a ton of money that can be used for other things, such as more food. One caveat on this one, tho, is that if you're planning on putting out big barrels of lemonade or iced tea or whatever, make sure you have extra cuz if hikers are using their own personal utensils, they'll be likely to fill up 32 oz. bottles as opposed to ten ounce cups.

wakapak
05-26-2009, 13:04
Mary, I remember when a bunch of us came up with some of that list, and i agree, no need for supplying utensils, plates, etc since all hikers have their own!!

I do remember running out of dish soap to clean all the cooking stuff tho, thats why the 2x dish soap was put down. and if there is going to be a sanitizing/cleaning station put up for hikers to wash their own pots/utensils, then you may need a little more.

Wish we could be there this year!! We'll be thinking of you all that weekend!!

Johnny Thunder
05-26-2009, 13:36
I'll be there to inform everyone where the New Bar...or, more specifically, what the New Bar is.

BAG "o" TRICKS
05-26-2009, 13:48
Have left from last year for use this year - three boxes of veggie burger mix. Each box makes 6 veggie burgers.

If LW comes he'll eat them.

BAG "o" TRICKS
05-26-2009, 13:51
Yes, he is a very generous guy...:sun

In more ways than some of us will ever know.

trailangelmary
05-26-2009, 15:47
Don't waste money on the instant waste of paper plates and plastic forks. Every hiker that has walked (or claimed to have walked) from Springer up to Duncannon has a spoon and a bowl or pot or cup.

Mary, I remember when a bunch of us came up with some of that list, and i agree, no need for supplying utensils, plates, etc since all hikers have their own!!

Good point from Redneck.

And having recently shopped for a 100-plus person event, I can assure you that by having hikers use their own utensils, you'll also save a ton of money that can be used for other things, such as more food.

I understand what all of you are saying and I can see that will work for the smaller simpler meals but will the hikers containers (pot, bowl, or cup) work for the big meal of the pig roast and all the fixings?

Also, do you all agree that we should eliminate the drinking cups also?

Lone Wolf
05-26-2009, 16:02
I understand what all of you are saying and I can see that will work for the smaller simpler meals but will the hikers containers (pot, bowl, or cup) work for the big meal of the pig roast and all the fixings?

Also, do you all agree that we should eliminate the drinking cups also?

so everybody that comes to this thing has to bring their own utensils even if they aren't hiking? or is this for thru-hikers only? kinda dumb not to provide some cheap paper plates. what about hikers who don't cook meals on the trail or don't carry cups? the Dollar Store sells the stuff cheap

Jack Tarlin
05-26-2009, 16:05
Mary:

Have had a chance to think about this.

Let hikers bring their own stuff. It'll keep plate/portion sizes down (hikers can always come back for more instead of loading up a paper plate with 4 lbs. of stuff); it'll cut WAY down on the ammount of landfill trash generated; it'll save 30-40 bucks you can surely use elsewhere. People don't have cups for soup or whatever?

Um, guess what? That's their problem. They're being fed for 3 days for free; lack of a soup mug should be their least complaint. I think Redneck's idea is a great one and should be adopted at ALL hiker feeds.

After all, these guys are supposed to be nature-loving, environmentally friendly Green activists. The very thought of these guys going "Um, a plate and more styrofoam would be in order, folks!!" is pretty ridiculous.

The big "Feed the Hungry Hikers" at Trail Days has gone on for years, and people have always lined up and brought their own utensils, there's never been a problem.

I wholeheartedly second this suggestion.

Look at at this way from someone who's paid for and cooked a lot of hiker feeds: Money saved on cups, plates and cutlery will pay for 3 or 4 Bacon Explosions.

Give a hiker a choice between Dixie Cups and Bacon and it's sort of a no-brainer.

Jack Tarlin
05-26-2009, 16:07
Interesting. My post crossed with Lone Wolf's, and he made a very good point. There will indeed be some townsfolk and non-hiker folks present, so a small ammount of paper goods will be in order.

But the thru-hikers present (and this is and always has been a hiker event) should be encouraged to line up and bring their own.

trailangelmary
05-26-2009, 16:11
so everybody that comes to this thing has to bring their own utensils even if they aren't hiking? or is this for thru-hikers only? kinda dumb not to provide some cheap paper plates. what about hikers who don't cook meals on the trail or don't carry cups? the Dollar Store sells the stuff cheap

I plan on having some plates and cups (because of the reasons you have stated Lone Wolf) anyway but from what people are saying just not in a large volume. I have to look at my notes from the last two years to see if I wrote how many plates we started with but I know we ran out the last two years.

And to answer your question about who is invited - I hope that lots of Billville members and friends will be there to help and visit.

And all of this discussion will be considered when Jester reviews the final list.

trailangelmary
05-26-2009, 16:18
The big "Feed the Hungry Hikers" at Trail Days has gone on for years, and people have always lined up and brought their own utensils, there's never been a problem.

Only 3 hikers of the many I personally fed at Trail Days this year showed up with their own container and untensil. One was not a current thru-hiker.

Jack Tarlin
05-26-2009, 16:24
Um, Mary, that's cuz they weren't TOLD to go back to their camp and get their own stuff.

This is what they've done at the "Feed the Hungry Hiker" thing for around 15 years now. They are plainlt TOLD to go get their stuff if they want to eat, and miracle of miracles, this is exactly what they do.

I assure you, when hikers are told that if they don't show up with their own stuff (which they've been cheerfully carrying for around 1130 miles when they get to Duncannon!) then they won't get to eat, then they'll happily go get their mess kits.

Lone Wolf
05-26-2009, 20:37
Um, Mary, that's cuz they weren't TOLD to go back to their camp and get their own stuff.

This is what they've done at the "Feed the Hungry Hiker" thing for around 15 years now. They are plainlt TOLD to go get their stuff if they want to eat, and miracle of miracles, this is exactly what they do.

I assure you, when hikers are told that if they don't show up with their own stuff (which they've been cheerfully carrying for around 1130 miles when they get to Duncannon!) then they won't get to eat, then they'll happily go get their mess kits.

it's just a bowl of watered down chili soup. not worth the line

trailangelmary
05-26-2009, 23:35
Talked to Russell, the owner of the Riviera Tavern and a surplus store owner tonight. Asked him about some things that he usually has at the store to find out what is available. Will talk to him more after he gets back from the Nascar race in Dover but he has committed to some vinagrette dressing to donate. We always use that for some item on the menu.

He also told me that since it is the week they go to Dover I will not be able to talk to one of my pig roaster contacts till after the weekend.

trailangelmary
05-27-2009, 07:36
Would also like input on your menu ideas/requests. In the past feeds in Duncannon we have had(each entry was a different year for all meals but Saturday lunch):

Friday as hikers arrive - Hot dogs and all the fixins, grill your own burger, beef stew
Friday evening meal - baked chicken legs, pasta with red sauce, shrimp and meat skewers
Saturday Breakfast - pancakes, french toast, sausage gravy with biscuits
Saturday lunch - pig roast with fixins: fixins - baked beans, pasta salad, potato salad with vegs, stuffing, deviled eggs, pickled eggs, deviled pickled eggs, corn on the cob, fruit
Saturday evening meal - pizza, soups, tacos
Sunday Morning Big A.. Billville Breakfast - french toast sticks, french toast, pancakes,and/or Amish Friendship Bread. Bacon and Scrapple. Scrambled eggs. Baltimore Jacks home fried potatoes. Oatmeal.

trailangelmary
05-27-2009, 07:40
The final menu will depend on donations received but so far Mary definitely wants to do the pig roast on Saturday, bacon explosion and Amish Friendship Bread for the Sunday breakfast or bacon explosion for the Saturday breakfast and the traditional Sunday breakfast with the Amish Friendship bread included.

What do you think?

trailangelmary
05-27-2009, 07:53
I just had a thought which would make life easier on Sunday morning cleanup. Do the big A...Billville Breakfast on Saturday morning and a simple breakfast on Sunday. That way most of the supplies can be taken back to their home from the park after use on Saturday leaving only essentials on Sunday and therefore less time on cleanup Sunday!

Jester2000
05-27-2009, 12:18
Man. If the biggest controversy we can stir up online this year has to do with paper products we're never going to get as many views as last year. Maybe The Dude or Matty can come on here and drop a big drama bomb.

kayak karl
05-27-2009, 14:03
do you need help?? and are ALL invited??

Johnny Thunder
05-27-2009, 14:03
Mary: Hey Johnny...I've got something for ya!

Johnny: What is it?

Mary: It's venison chili!

Johnny: I wanna dip my baaaalls in it!

(laughter)

trailangelmary
05-27-2009, 15:17
do you need help?? and are ALL invited??

Help is always needed in the kitchen. And depending on what other activities we have, help may be needed there too.
Although there are no requirements to being a Billville member helping at a Billville event definitely makes you a member of Billville. We would be happy to have you there kayak Karl, whether to help or just hang out and enjoy the company, activities and food.

trailangelmary
05-27-2009, 15:54
Mary: Hey Johnny...I've got something for ya!

Johnny: What is it?

Mary: It's venison chili!

Johnny: I wanna dip my baaaalls in it!

(laughter)

Bring the venison and I'll make the chili!

Johnny Thunder
05-27-2009, 16:07
Bring the venison and I'll make the chili!

Yeah...we'll see...the only wild meat I could scrounge around here would be distinctly rat-shaped.

Heater
05-27-2009, 16:26
Would also like input on your menu ideas/requests. In the past feeds in Duncannon we have had(each entry was a different year for all meals but Saturday lunch):

Friday as hikers arrive - Hot dogs and all the fixins, grill your own burger, beef stew
Friday evening meal - baked chicken legs, pasta with red sauce, shrimp and meat skewers
Saturday Breakfast - pancakes, french toast, sausage gravy with biscuits
Saturday lunch - pig roast with fixins: fixins - baked beans, pasta salad, potato salad with vegs, stuffing, deviled eggs, pickled eggs, deviled pickled eggs, corn on the cob, fruit
Saturday evening meal - pizza, soups, tacos
Sunday Morning Big A.. Billville Breakfast - french toast sticks, french toast, pancakes,and/or Amish Friendship Bread. Bacon and Scrapple. Scrambled eggs. Baltimore Jacks home fried potatoes. Oatmeal.

How many of you pack a plate? :-?

Looks like a majority of the things on that list are best served on plates or even require plates. I guess you could cram some of the stuff in your cookpot all mixed up or even balance it on the top but things could get really messy and unwieldy. :rolleyes:

Please take and send many pics. :D

BAG "o" TRICKS
05-27-2009, 16:28
[QUOTE=Jack Tarlin;843746]Mary:

Look at at this way from someone who's paid for and cooked a lot of hiker feeds: Money saved on cups, plates and cutlery will pay for 3 or 4 Bacon Explosions.

ahem.., who paid?

Lone Wolf
05-27-2009, 16:35
How many of you pack a plate? :-?

Looks like a majority of the things on that list are best served on plates or even require plates. I guess you could cram some of the stuff in your cookpot all mixed up or even balance it on the top but things could get really messy and unwieldy. :rolleyes:

Please take and send many pics. :D

kinda dumb to not have plates

BAG "o" TRICKS
05-27-2009, 16:37
Interesting. My post crossed with Lone Wolf's, and he made a very good point. There will indeed be some townsfolk and non-hiker folks present, so a small ammount of paper goods will be in order.

But the thru-hikers present (and this is and always has been a hiker event) should be encouraged to line up and bring their own.

I agree with Jack and since this 'is' about and 'for' the hikers I think all hikers who walk in should be charged $5 'just to walk in and camp' and someone who drives in and camps should be charged another $15 on top of the five to camp. Seems fair to me :-? after all it's about the hikers right? ;)

BAG "o" TRICKS
05-27-2009, 16:40

or at least a piece of aluminum foil:eek:

1Pint
05-27-2009, 16:54
"Greener" has nothing to do with it. Don't waste money on the instant waste of paper plates and plastic forks. Every hiker that has walked (or claimed to have walked) from Springer up to Duncannon has a spoon and a bowl or pot or cup.
If folks feel the urge to clean their own bowl once they have emptied it, then perhaps a sanitizing station could be set up.

A spoon, yes. But no bowl, pot or cup. I could certainly bum use of one for a feed, though. :-)

Jack Tarlin
05-27-2009, 17:45
Gotta disagree with Trix on this one.....while it's always great if people wanna help out with costs of events (like WalkinHome for example, who ALWAYS does this), well that's great and it sure is appreciated, but actually charging people to attend or giving them wristbands or whatever to make sure they're all paid up, well no, this seems a bit tacky. Whether it's back at home or on the Trail, if you're throwin' a party, it doesn't seem quite right to charge your guests.

And as to Trix' question re. hiker feeds, when he says "Who paid?" well Trix, Trashgiving comes to mind. Bearpaw and I laid out the better part of five hundred bucks, and it never occurred to us to charge admission, any more than Trix has asked for money on the countless occasions that he's fed people.

So if people wanna help Mary out ahead of time, that's fantastic, but as for charging people to attend an event when they drop their backpacks, well I gotta disagree.

reddog176
05-27-2009, 18:07
So go halfway then, and stick out a donation jar. I know I always throw some cash in it when Mary's got one on her table.

-Gadget

Jester2000
05-27-2009, 19:32
Man. If the biggest controversy we can stir up online this year has to do with paper products we're never going to get as many views as last year. Maybe The Dude or Matty can come on here and drop a big drama bomb.

ahem.., who paid?

I agree with Jack and since this 'is' about and 'for' the hikers I think all hikers who walk in should be charged $5 'just to walk in and camp' and someone who drives in and camps should be charged another $15 on top of the five to camp. Seems fair to me :-? after all it's about the hikers right? ;)

Gotta disagree with Trix on this one.....while it's always great if people wanna help out with costs of events (like WalkinHome for example, who ALWAYS does this), well that's great and it sure is appreciated, but actually charging people to attend or giving them wristbands or whatever to make sure they're all paid up, well no, this seems a bit tacky. Whether it's back at home or on the Trail, if you're throwin' a party, it doesn't seem quite right to charge your guests.

And as to Trix' question re. hiker feeds, when he says "Who paid?" well Trix, Trashgiving comes to mind. Bearpaw and I laid out the better part of five hundred bucks, and it never occurred to us to charge admission, any more than Trix has asked for money on the countless occasions that he's fed people.

So if people wanna help Mary out ahead of time, that's fantastic, but as for charging people to attend an event when they drop their backpacks, well I gotta disagree.

Now we're getting somewhere . . .

I knew I could count on my friends to manufacture controversy.

wakapak
05-27-2009, 20:21
Now we're getting somewhere . . .

I knew I could count on my friends to manufacture controversy.

Jester,

Isn't there always a controversy within Billville?? :D :rolleyes:

I didn't think you'd have to wait too long to see it happen! :D

trailangelmary
05-27-2009, 20:33
But we're still only up to # 5 in the most recent posts! Let's go we can get to # 1! Where's Dude and Matthewski?

Chaco Taco
05-27-2009, 20:34
Yea controversy???? What about the debacle of last year. See Jester, Billville harmony cannot exist without you. :banana

Chaco Taco
05-27-2009, 20:35
Where's Dude and Matthewski?

Bobein! :D:D:D

mweinstone
05-27-2009, 23:07
duncanon is called the pearl of the susquhanna for a reason. in the sunrise of the day from my window in 23 i have seen the pearl. it appears as if the river is iceflow . moveing and reflecting the gold of sol above. all year round but at a different moment either at dawn or dusk this happens. and your eyes dont have a file to cordinate the information being received so you admit its the pearl. their are an hundred things about the appalachian trail as it moves thru the town of duncanon i could share with you. just a single walk from the doyals baroom 7 minutes to the ballfeilds on a clear night. an ice cream at 3bs. marys couch. room 23s charm. my drawer of art supplys and kites for all to play kept in the drawers beside 23s door in the hall. the american clockworkings of mr miller sitting in millers drug store since i was 14. the 6 dudes in goodys each morning representing 395 years of duncanon gossip.and love at the picknic table at 3 am in hiker season.

trailangelmary
05-28-2009, 02:22
duncanon is called the pearl of the susquhanna for a reason. in the sunrise of the day from my window in 23 i have seen the pearl. it appears as if the river is iceflow . moveing and reflecting the gold of sol above. all year round but at a different moment either at dawn or dusk this happens. and your eyes dont have a file to cordinate the information being received so you admit its the pearl. their are an hundred things about the appalachian trail as it moves thru the town of duncanon i could share with you. just a single walk from the doyals baroom 7 minutes to the ballfeilds on a clear night. an ice cream at 3bs. marys couch. room 23s charm. my drawer of art supplys and kites for all to play kept in the drawers beside 23s door in the hall. the american clockworkings of mr miller sitting in millers drug store since i was 14. the 6 dudes in goodys each morning representing 395 years of duncanon gossip.and love at the picknic table at 3 am in hiker season.
I love you matty come visit i need to come to philly for avon business soon shall i rescue you for a duncannon fix? is room 23 calling you I want to give you a hug

CowHead
05-28-2009, 07:15
I might be up for Saturday and I'm not afraid to donate or do dishes....My wife has train me well...

trailangelmary
05-28-2009, 11:17
I might be up for Saturday and I'm not afraid to donate or do dishes....My wife has train me well...

Great Cowhead. See you on the 27th

Chaco Taco
05-28-2009, 21:17

http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/nothing_to_see_here.jpg

RedneckRye
05-28-2009, 23:37

I fully retract my previous thought.

If I can manage to get myself fully organized I a will send a crap ton ( about 1, ooo, 000 give or take a few dozen ) of styrofoam plates and plastic sporks via overnight C.O.D.
All I ask is that they are burned at exactly midnight, right as the drum circle contra dance reaches it's explosive apex.

If someone could send me a photo or two, I'd really appreciate it as my weekend will be otherwise occupied and I can't make it out to Duncannon.
Wish I could, but, oh well.......

trailangelmary
05-29-2009, 02:10
If I can manage to get myself fully organized I a will send a crap ton ( about 1, ooo, 000 give or take a few dozen ) of styrofoam plates and plastic sporks via overnight C.O.D.
All I ask is that they are burned at exactly midnight, right as the drum circle contra dance reaches it's explosive apex.

Laughing My A... Off!!

trailangelmary
05-29-2009, 02:21
Well, all this talk about eating equipment has lead me to a thought about those plastic plates that I buy and actually wash until they crack or wear out in some way. If the hikers use their own utensil and we provide the plate and have the wash station for them to wash that plate it could answer all the issues. Many people that have been to my home and used those plates when I didn't have enough actual plates and were surprised when I said don't throw that away. I wash them! I also wash ziploc bags until they get holes. And manufacturers ziploc bags like the ones shredded cheese come in. Anyway, I will have to check on the price to see if it would be cost effective.
Or I could start stockpiling beer flats that six packs come in. 2 large plates per beer flat!

StarLyte
05-29-2009, 06:44
LW I have a special plate just for you :sun

I'll be hiding paper plates in my trunk :banana

I'm coming in as early as Tuesday if anyone needs a ride. It just depends how Mary needs me. Thought about driving down to Harpers Ferry/Blackburn first then up to Duncannon. May spend the night at Blackburn or Bears Den first.

Miss you all.

BAG "o" TRICKS
05-29-2009, 08:35

Easy Jack I thought you would get it.., just sarcasm gang ‘from trail days’
Regarding putting money out for feeds or taking money from hikers 'lets not go there brother'. Trust me Trashgiving was a drop in the bucket.
Don't want to or ever have charged a hiker for anything. If I did I'd be a millionaire from what you owed me Jack:eek::). Call me when you get a chance brother

Bag 'o' Tricks not Trix

Chaco Taco
05-29-2009, 08:59
My idea, just set up a feeding trough, you could decorate it with red blazes
http://lostriverfarm.com/images/1-finished_feed_troughs.jpg

trailangelmary
05-29-2009, 10:25
I'm coming in as early as Tuesday if anyone needs a ride. It just depends how Mary needs me. Thought about driving down to Harpers Ferry/Blackburn first then up to Duncannon. May spend the night at Blackburn or Bears Den first.

If you can be here on Tuesday that would be awesome Starlyte. I will need help doing all the food prep that week.

trailangelmary
05-29-2009, 10:26
Thank you to Marco Solo for his monetary donation for the feed.

trailangelmary
05-29-2009, 15:38
Thank you to Jester's Mom for her monetary donation for the feed.

trailangelmary
05-29-2009, 19:26
Thank you to a townie for a case of (individually portioned by pot)Green Mountain coffee.

mweinstone
05-30-2009, 09:15
trail angel marys kitchen is a ballet in motion.well, a good kitchen anyway. its a model of white trash trailerpark avon lady duncannon dollarstore america. no ofense.if even one other kitchen per city was as energy efficient, it would save enough energy to send me thruhikeing.for life. with a chick. and a dog. and lots of bacon. and jiffypop for all. amen.

reddog176
05-30-2009, 09:22
trail angel marys kitchen is a ballet in motion.well, a good kitchen anyway. its a model of white trash trailerpark avon lady duncannon dollarstore america. no ofense.if even one other kitchen per city was as energy efficient, it would save enough energy to send me thruhikeing.for life. with a chick. and a dog. and lots of bacon. and jiffypop for all. amen.

Just regular bacon? or bacon explosions?

-Gadget

trailangelmary
05-30-2009, 16:10
As part of the weekend, Billville will offer rides to any hikers in attendance who wants to ride the Mechanical Bull at Tubbys (http://www.tubbysnightclub.com/) on Friday night. It just so happens that the Mechanical Bull which is at Tubbys once a month, will be there the same weekend as the feed! There is a $5.00 cover charge and it starts at 9 PM Friday the 26 of June. And Jester, our Billville mayor will be there with his video camera in hand!
If you take a look at the calendar (http://www.tubbysnightclub.com/Calendar.html) That's me on there with wings every Thursday.

CowHead
05-30-2009, 17:48
I coming from Maryland Friday night or early Sat morning anyone needs a ride I have a few spots in my pickup

trailangelmary
05-30-2009, 22:24
I coming from Maryland Friday night or early Sat morning anyone needs a ride I have a few spots in my pickup

Awesome, Cowhead. I think that some hikers may not be quite this far and hopefully they will see this post and take you up on that ride.

trailangelmary
05-31-2009, 10:46
Found a box of plastic spoons leftover from last year's feed. Also have a box of large (55 gallon) trash bags.

trailangelmary
05-31-2009, 10:48
I got an email from Bustace. He will be coming and bringing fresh vegetables.

StarLyte
06-01-2009, 06:32
Yeah Bustace !

I will not have the large electric coffee urn that we use at the PA Ruck, it's with an ALDHA member in CT.

Anyone have one we can borrow? I will supply all the coffee, creamer, sugar, cups....

trailangelmary
06-01-2009, 08:50
Starlyte -
I will supply all the coffee, creamer, sugar, cups....

Mary -

Thank you to a townie for a case of (individually portioned by pot)Green Mountain coffee.

Thanks Marsha. No need to bring coffee. I have lots but thanks for the sugar, creamer and cups you will bring, Awesome!

If we don't have a coffee urn, we will just have to use a large pot!

trailangelmary
06-01-2009, 11:22
Spider '08 has committed to a donation of lots of fruit for the feed. He asked me for a suggested list of what and how many which I am preparing for him now.:banana

mweinstone
06-01-2009, 15:26
if i could i would but i cant and wont so dont and no plus sorry and cannot. but you all should enjoy my gift.i dont have it yet. dont have time money or idea. not to mention that creative matthewski spark that must be applied to any and all gifts bacon based or other. in the event of sudden bacon downpour, detonate a dozen eggs verticly and tost. with coffie and mary, for all. feed my hikers. feed

trailangelmary
06-01-2009, 17:56
Thank you so much to EZ from NY (mrc237 on WB) for your monetary donation for the feed.

trailangelmary
06-02-2009, 22:06
Sorrentos in Duncannon has committed to the lettuce, tomato and onions for the tacos which are planned for the Friday afternoon meal and for the pizza dough and cheese which will be grilled Friday evening.

trailangelmary
06-03-2009, 10:55
Since I ran into some deals at Mutzies the other day and got some salsa cheap, Friday's daytime meal will be tacos. Have the lettuce, tomato and onion donated from Sorrentos for it and am pricing a case of 6" soft shells from a food service provider. Depending on funds or if somebody wants to bring it would still need sour cream. I will watch for a deal on the shredded cheese during the next 23 days.

Also got a deal on pasta and tomato products so will have several pasta dishes on Saturday evening meal - one with chicken and red sauce; one pasta carbonara (white sauce with bacon); one red sauce with vegetarian sausage. Will use Bustace's veggies to add to some greens for salad to go with that meal. And depending on funds would also like to have garlic bread.

mweinstone
06-03-2009, 13:44
mary will be grilled friday evening. chaco's a taco. this is cheesy. im a hiker . feeds are for the unfed. rise my unfed. walk my unfed. come to feed my unfed.feed apon all you see. beware the baconator. he dosnt think. he dosnt care. he dosnt have feelings. he wont stop till eveyones dead. of colestoral.

StarLyte
06-03-2009, 13:55
mary will be grilled friday evening. chaco's a taco. this is cheesy. im a hiker . feeds are for the unfed. rise my unfed. walk my unfed. come to feed my unfed.feed apon all you see. beware the baconator. he dosnt think. he dosnt care. he dosnt have feelings. he wont stop till eveyones dead. of colestoral.

Got my Matty fix :banana today - thanks!

I agree.

trailangelmary
06-03-2009, 14:27
I also have taco seasoning I found hiding on my cupboards for the tacos.:banana

CowHead
06-03-2009, 14:32
Is this just a thru hiker feed party are is it open to any hiker? I not a thru yet I'm in the class of 2020

trailangelmary
06-03-2009, 14:38
So here is the menu so far. Some is in pencil. Some is in ink.

Friday daytime meal - tacos
Friday evening meal - Peanut Butter Soup and pizza
Saturday Breakfast - Pancakes with blackberries and raspberries, Baltimore Jack's Homefries, Bacon Explosion, Scrambled eggs
Saturday lunch - Stuffed Pig roast with baked beans, cole slaw, deviled eggs, corn on the cob or baked corn.
Saturday evening - Salad & Pasta with Garlic Bread
Sunday morning - Amish Friendship Bread & Sausage Gravy with Biscuits

trailangelmary
06-03-2009, 14:39
OH...almost forgot - fresh fruit salad with Saturday lunch

trailangelmary
06-03-2009, 14:42
Is this just a thru hiker feed party are is it open to any hiker? I not a thru yet I'm in the class of 2020

Billville does not turn anyone away. But we may recruit you to help at some point during the weekend! Come and join the fun and meet some of the great AT hiker family.

Chaco Taco
06-03-2009, 20:19
I also have taco seasoning I found hiding on my cupboards for the tacos.:banana
Dont need seasoning on my taco:D

trailangelmary
06-03-2009, 23:49

LOL! Love you chaco!

trailangelmary
06-04-2009, 00:00
Saturday lunch - Stuffed Pig roast

And that makes me wonder? Will Barracus be there to lead the eating of the Pig's Head later in the evening Saturday?

CowHead
06-04-2009, 06:47
Billville does not turn anyone away. But we may recruit you to help at some point during the weekend! Come and join the fun and meet some of the great AT hiker family.

Then i'm there give me a apron and i willing to serve

StarLyte
06-04-2009, 06:47
And that makes me wonder? Will Barracus be there to lead the eating of the Pig's Head later in the evening Saturday?

The pig is soooo disrespected :eek:

BAG "o" TRICKS
06-04-2009, 09:31
if i could i would but i cant and wont so dont and no plus sorry and cannot. but you all should enjoy my gift.i dont have it yet. dont have time money or idea. not to mention that creative matthewski spark that must be applied to any and all gifts bacon based or other. in the event of sudden bacon downpour, detonate a dozen eggs verticly and tost. with coffie and mary, for all. feed my hikers. feed

Cheer up Matty!:) If you want to head South let me know. NO charge. As a matty of fact.., I owe you. Let me know

Chaco Taco
06-04-2009, 18:04
Then i'm there give me a apron and i willing to serve
Haha, be careful with that. Mary had me bustin my hump for 3 days last year. Just kiddin Mary, I loved every second of it. Well I didnt like BL holding a knife to my taco telling me to get out.

Chaco Taco
06-04-2009, 18:06
LOL! Love you chaco!

And I love you Mary! Im going to miss it this year. I have Amish Friendship bread starters coming outta my arse right now.

Jester2000
06-04-2009, 18:38

We're, you know, not exactly an exclusive crew.

Eeeeeeuw.

RedneckRye
06-04-2009, 19:10
I have Amish Friendship bread starters coming outta my arse right now.

I thought that was where the Monnonite Hate Loaf came from.

mweinstone
06-04-2009, 20:14
duncannon was created when a twilight zone episode went wrong. it was a western about a female gunslinger bank robber team comprised of three women known to this day only as mary,vicky and marsha. marsha was like the billy the kid one of the gang. it was based on a true story . when the episode was finished being filmed,..the director said cut................

and the set and all the actors dissapeared. we know today thru tanks work in temperal phisicks that duncannon is the result of that freakish accedent. what baffels historians is wheather the current day decendants are related ,...or the original actors as some belive who listen to art bell,.......trapped in a feed time loop. feeding. and looping. hmmmmmm,....

Hoop Time
06-04-2009, 21:43
As part of the weekend, Billville will offer rides to any hikers in attendance who wants to ride the Mechanical Bull at Tubbys (http://www.tubbysnightclub.com/) on Friday night. It just so happens that the Mechanical Bull which is at Tubbys once a month, will be there the same weekend as the feed! There is a $5.00 cover charge and it starts at 9 PM Friday the 26 of June. And Jester, our Billville mayor will be there with his video camera in hand!
If you take a look at the calendar (http://www.tubbysnightclub.com/Calendar.html) That's me on there with wings every Thursday.

Wonder if the Holley brothers will be bailed out by then. I hear Tubby's is their hangout, or was.

Hoop Time
06-04-2009, 21:51
Mary -- sent you a message on facebook, too. My wife is a GM at an Issac's and will donate a pot of one of their soups. I thought Jamaican Black Bean, which is very good and is vegetarian. Cookie Monster is planning to go to mom's restaurant to use the commercial ovens to crank out beaucoup cookies. I'll be in touch about what else you might need, and will help with cooking/prep Friday and Saturday.

ki0eh
06-05-2009, 07:32
Wonder if the Holley brothers will be bailed out by then.

Whether you think gun control means (a) not having guns, or (b) hitting your target, they fail on both counts.

(Link (http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1243989613121680.xml&coll=1) for those who might not have seen your story...)

Chaco Taco
06-05-2009, 13:25
I thought that was where the Monnonite Hate Loaf came from.

Yea Chomp has some starters for it

Hoop Time
06-05-2009, 14:33
Whether you think gun control means (a) not having guns, or (b) hitting your target, they fail on both counts.

(Link (http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1243989613121680.xml&coll=1) for those who might not have seen your story...)

Don't want to get too far of topic here, but the funny thing (which was cut from the story to make it fit) is that the guy they were going to shoot said he thought the mastermind (using the term very loosely) was one of his best friends. This despite the fact that the brothers supposedly had beat the crap out of the guys dad around 20 years ago, hitting him in the head with a hammer and a two-by-four and leaving him permanently messed up. But he did not realize until they tried to kill him that they were not really his good buddies.

trailangelmary
06-05-2009, 16:08
Thank you to Courtney for her monetary donation.

trailangelmary
06-05-2009, 16:56
Mary -- sent you a message on facebook, too. My wife is a GM at an Issac's and will donate a pot of one of their soups. I thought Jamaican Black Bean, which is very good and is vegetarian. Cookie Monster is planning to go to mom's restaurant to use the commercial ovens to crank out beaucoup cookies. I'll be in touch about what else you might need, and will help with cooking/prep Friday and Saturday.

Awesome, Hoop time. :banana

trailangelmary
06-05-2009, 17:05

I will be posting a list of what I still need for you and anyone one else who may want to donate a food item in the next few days. Watch for it here and on my facebook page and on Billville Events page (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=99899286304&ref=mf).

trailangelmary
06-05-2009, 17:36
The contract has been signed and the fee paid for the use of the park. Thanks goes to Fred Lauster, Duncannon Bureau President.

And to answer the imput from last year's feed notes/ideas. No need to burn paper products used at the feed. Duncannon waste goes to the Harrisburg Incinerator not a land fill.

The Boy Scouts in Duncannon recycle aluminun cans and alloy so we will have seperate containers for those empties.

trailangelmary
06-05-2009, 20:51
Jamaican Black Bean, which is very good and is vegetarian.

That sounds awesome! We can serve that on Friday night.

Bearpaw88
06-05-2009, 20:55
Mary I can't come :(:(:(

I will still be at Kincora. I will come up to visit soon after. I miss and love everyone who is going! Have a great event.

trailangelmary
06-05-2009, 21:02
Mary I can't come :(:(:(

I will still be at Kincora. I will come up to visit soon after. I miss and love everyone who is going! Have a great event.

Thanks Bearpaw. We'll miss seeing you too. Hope you are enjoying your time at Kincora.

Hoop Time
06-05-2009, 21:32
And to answer the imput from last year's feed notes/ideas. No need to burn paper products used at the feed. Duncannon waste goes to the Harrisburg Incinerator not a land fill.

The incinerator is a mess financially, but it recently underwent major renovations to bring it into EPA compliance, so while not a perfect solution (other than composting or recycling, what method of handling waste is?), it is certainly more environmentally friendly than a landfill and certainly better than burning trash in an open fire.

Lion King
06-06-2009, 18:25
Hoping 'What?' and I will be close enough to hitch in.

At Comfort Inn in Daleville at present.

LK

Hoop Time
06-06-2009, 22:12
Mary ... I might have a band that would be willing to play for free if one of the nights fits their schedule. Any interest? They are a bunch of young kids. Jam band type. They are playing the Appalachian brewery one of the nights that weekend and might be able to play the other if you are interested.

trailangelmary
06-07-2009, 02:05
Mary ... I might have a band that would be willing to play for free if one of the nights fits their schedule. Any interest? They are a bunch of young kids. Jam band type. They are playing the Appalachian brewery one of the nights that weekend and might be able to play the other if you are interested.

Friday night from 7 - 9 would work or Saturday night if nothing is going on at the Doyle. I have to check with Vicki, they usually book Sue Grace and her band for Saturday night of the feed.

mweinstone
06-07-2009, 08:48
i hate this feed. im a hate based hater full of hate and i hate feeds and especialy this feed. but only cause i gotta work. otherwise im a loveing feed lover full of feedlove.

ki0eh
06-07-2009, 17:45
The incinerator is a mess financially, but it recently underwent major renovations to bring it into EPA compliance, so while not a perfect solution (other than composting or recycling, what method of handling waste is?), it is certainly more environmentally friendly than a landfill and certainly better than burning trash in an open fire.

And of course the best part - the heat supplements the steam used to heat the Harrisburg Capitol Complex - so one can truly call the vaporous contents around the politicos in the Capitol - garbage fueled hot air. :D

Hoop Time
06-07-2009, 17:57
And of course the best part - the heat supplements the steam used to heat the Harrisburg Capitol Complex - so one can truly call the vaporous contents around the politicos in the Capitol - garbage fueled hot air. :D

Not sure that comes from the trash incinerator. The city also has a steam plant right beside our (Patriot-News) building.

Keeping on topic . . . looking forward to Duncannon on the last weekend of June. We were going to be out of town for an AAU hoops tournament, but plans have changed so we'll be helping put the feed bag on some hungry hikers.

mweinstone
06-07-2009, 18:04
if i did come,....i would hang my head in shame and lock my room and not come out and only the dude could come in and ,....then i would sit and think about just what ive done with my life and what im doing. then i would open the door and come out and go to the bathroom. then i would go to the bar and eat soup and probubly fish cause it would be friday night and pat allways cooks such nice food cause hes such a good cook. and vicky would ask why im sad and i would lie and say gimmie whiskey and then console in the boosom of baltimore jack tarlin cause thats where i feel good. then i would sit on the back step and watch the falcon chase pigions and greet weirdos who over excvitedly arrive like their stepping onto the surface of the moon. and they would ask,.."are you matthewski?" cause it says it on my shirt. and i would tell them to go drink whiskey before adreeing me. and they would ask in the bar if i was weird or what. and sue graces music would make me sadder cause the last time i heard it i was as happy as ive ever been. and jester would put his hand on my shoulder cause hes my bro and knows all about the woes of being matthewski. and then i would eat trail angel marys food as if i wasnt hungry cause enjoying it would feel good witch would feel bad. and id be starving too. and id lay on marys couch and not do dishes cause its my favorite thing to do and it might be fun. the dishes i mean. so you see you dont need me around. im a worthless shell of a has been matthewski from a bad time gone by a polluted river out back of a closed ice skateing rink.

maby i wont have to work.

Jester2000
06-07-2009, 18:58

I think maybe you should make sure you don't work.

Hoop Time
06-08-2009, 10:36
if i did come,....i would hang my head in shame and lock my room and not come out and only the dude could come in and ,....then i would sit and think about just what ive done with my life and what im doing. then i would open the door and come out and go to the bathroom. then i would go to the bar and eat soup and probubly fish cause it would be friday night and pat allways cooks such nice food cause hes such a good cook. and vicky would ask why im sad and i would lie and say gimmie whiskey and then console in the boosom of baltimore jack tarlin cause thats where i feel good. then i would sit on the back step and watch the falcon chase pigions and greet weirdos who over excvitedly arrive like their stepping onto the surface of the moon. and they would ask,.."are you matthewski?" cause it says it on my shirt. and i would tell them to go drink whiskey before adreeing me. and they would ask in the bar if i was weird or what. and sue graces music would make me sadder cause the last time i heard it i was as happy as ive ever been. and jester would put his hand on my shoulder cause hes my bro and knows all about the woes of being matthewski. and then i would eat trail angel marys food as if i wasnt hungry cause enjoying it would feel good witch would feel bad. and id be starving too. and id lay on marys couch and not do dishes cause its my favorite thing to do and it might be fun. the dishes i mean. so you see you dont need me around. im a worthless shell of a has been matthewski from a bad time gone by a polluted river out back of a closed ice skateing rink.

Now I see why they always say matthewski is the life of the party.

trailangelmary
06-08-2009, 10:37
I think maybe you should make sure you don't work.

No maybe, just do it Matty. Take off work and come. Sounds like you need Billville and Billville wants you there.

trailangelmary
06-08-2009, 10:38
I have acquired a place to store all the food once it is prepared the week before the feed. Thank you to The American Legion Post 340

trailangelmary
06-08-2009, 10:39
5 loaves of Amish Friendship Bread done.

trailangelmary
06-08-2009, 15:55
Thanks to Pat O'Donnell for donations for feed of paper and plastic products and Drink powder mixes.:banana

trailangelmary
06-08-2009, 16:27
Thank you to Tom from New York for your donation for the feed that I received in the mail. Not sure who this is by trail name or posting name on White Blaze. But thank you very much.

trailangelmary
06-08-2009, 23:48
Thank you to the local Sysco salesman for his donation of a case of taco shells.

trailangelmary
06-09-2009, 14:54
So, I wonder what other games Jester will come up with for this year's fun besides the traditional Leki Pole Throw. Here's a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuOry4JL2q0) of pics and movie from last year's games.

zoidfu
06-10-2009, 02:03
Still in need of anything?

trailangelmary
06-10-2009, 02:53
Still in need of anything?
Ah, yes! Sandwich Rolls for the pork, Charcoal, 10 lbs of potatoes for homefries for Saturday, pancake mix to make 50 dollar size pancakes, bread to make garlic bread, MAPLE Syrup and manpower to transport everything to the park on Thursday vening the 25th. And a third charcoal grill (I have 2).

trailangelmary
06-10-2009, 02:54
Ah, yes! Sandwich Rolls for the pork, Charcoal, 10 lbs of potatoes for homefries for Saturday, pancake mix to make 50 dollar size pancakes, bread to make garlic bread, MAPLE Syrup and manpower to transport everything to the park on Thursday vening the 25th. And a third charcoal grill (I have 2).

Ha! Ha! That would be mini pancakes!!

trailangelmary
06-10-2009, 02:58
6 more loaves of Amish Friendship Bread in the oven now.

mweinstone
06-10-2009, 14:58
their are two worlds. seperated buy a vail. i live in the other one. i am dead to this feed. i have put on the yoke of work. it is easy and im thruhiking next feb18th. nothing, no one, not baconator, not rm 23's sirens,not tank, not mary, not even baltimore jack tarlin can stop me from acheiving this 5th attempt to maine. only a deer tick could even make an attempt . well, a really sudden appocolipse would stop me too. other than that, im a planning fool. actually i have no plan. but im a saveing fool. actually i saved nothing yet. well, im a fool.

zoidfu
06-10-2009, 15:27

How many rolls? How much charcoal? I can do the potatoes... But where should I drop the stuff off at? The Doyle maybe?

trailangelmary
06-10-2009, 16:22
How many rolls? How much charcoal? I can do the potatoes... But where should I drop the stuff off at? The Doyle maybe?

Thanks Zoidfu. 75 rolls, 6 bags of charcoal. Depending on when you can bring whatever you are donating, you can bring to my apartment (I live a block from the Doyle or to the park if bringing the weekend of the feed. You can call me at 717-834-4706

trailangelmary
06-10-2009, 16:25
Thanks to Linda Britcher of the Pub who is donating 3 dozen pickled eggs which I will be deviling for the feed. She is also donating the cole slaw.:banana

trailangelmary
06-10-2009, 16:26
I talked to Donnie Wright today, a townie who will be donating his time to roast the pig and will also be preparing the filling/stuffing.

trailangelmary
06-10-2009, 16:40
Thanks to a townie for a very generous monetary donation for the feed.:banana

trailangelmary
06-12-2009, 10:09
Request given to my contact with Mutzabaugh's Market for ground beef, eggs, corn on the cob and sweet italian sausage. He'll get back to me.

trailangelmary
06-12-2009, 10:11
Riviera Tavern has confirmed they will let me borrow the roasters and crocks for use for the feed.

CowHead
06-12-2009, 14:07
Now I see why they always say matthewski is the life of the party.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/7/3/5/5/2.jpg

Chaco Taco
06-12-2009, 17:53
Chaco sad:(

trailangelmary
06-12-2009, 19:17
Chaco sad:(

Hugs to you Chaco.

trailangelmary
06-12-2009, 21:44
Thanks to Boarstone (Kathy from Brownville, Me.) who is going to send REAL Maple Syrup for the feed given she can find it.

trailangelmary
06-13-2009, 00:18
From all the cash donations so far, I have enough to pay for the use of the park (done), pay for the pig, and have $88 left after doing some of the shopping.
The remainder of my list that has not been purchased or donated yet includes the following food items:
Shredded Cheddar & Sour Cream for the tacos,

still tossing around ideas for the Friday evening meal,

pancake mix, bacon, onion & peppers for the homefries, seasonings for Saturday breakfast,

Sandwich rolls for the pig, ingredients for the baked beans, butter for the corn on the cob, for the Saturday lunch meal

Cheeses, Italian Bread, butter, seasonings, garlic, lettuces for the Saturday evening meal

And I still have to work on the non-food items needed such as charcoal, dish liquid, kitchen towels and scrubbies, propane, foil.

ANYWAY, plans are moving along well. Pass the word to hikers south of Duncannon -- we'll just need them there to eat all this food!!!

Hoop Time
06-13-2009, 08:52
Mary -- do you have any more info on the Scott Farm painting thing?

trailangelmary
06-13-2009, 19:49
Mary -- do you have any more info on the Scott Farm painting thing?

I'm looking for the email I printed out. I'll get back to you.

trailangelmary
06-13-2009, 19:50
Thank you to The Welsh Nomad for her monetary donation for the feed. And I will use it as you requested, Mary

trailangelmary
06-13-2009, 19:54
I just got back from shopping for feed. I got the rest of the ingredients for making the pasta sauces, more supplies for Amish Friendship Bread, ingredients for soup starter, ziploc bags

trailangelmary
06-13-2009, 20:03
I'm looking for the email I printed out. I'll get back to you.

Didn't find the email yet but here is a link to the CVATC page (http://www.cvatclub.org/blog/entry/105381/help-paint-the-scott-farm-bunkhouse) where info can be found about the painting work.

trailangelmary
06-13-2009, 20:56
From all the cash donations so far, I have enough to pay for the use of the park (done), pay for the pig, and have $88 left after doing some of the shopping.
The remainder of my list that has not been purchased or donated yet includes the following food items:
Shredded Cheddar & Sour Cream for the tacos,

still tossing around ideas for the Friday evening meal,

pancake mix, bacon, onion & peppers for the homefries, seasonings for Saturday breakfast,

Sandwich rolls for the pig, ingredients for the baked beans, butter for the corn on the cob, for the Saturday lunch meal

Cheeses, Italian Bread, butter, seasonings, garlic, lettuces for the Saturday evening meal

And I still have to work on the non-food items needed such as charcoal, dish liquid, kitchen towels and scrubbies, propane, foil.

ANYWAY, plans are moving along well. Pass the word to hikers south of Duncannon -- we'll just need them there to eat all this food!!!

"Cheeses, Italian Bread, butter, seasonings, garlic, lettuces for the Saturday evening meal" - Cheeses, seasonings and garlic for pasta purchased today along with some additional items I decided to put in pasta dishes (mushrooms and zucchini). Also got more supplies to make more Amish Friendship Bread & gal & 2 1/2 gal. ziplocs.

So pasta sauces will be made tomorrow and ziplocked and frozen, along with more :clap Amish Friendship Bread

Hoop Time
06-14-2009, 13:18
Got the update on the Scott Farm painting project. Cookie Monster and I are tentatively planning to spend the morning there on the 26th before heading to Duncannon to give Mary a hand. Will be glad to shuttle folks from there.

trailangelmary
06-14-2009, 17:11
5 more loaves of Amish Friendship Bread in the oven, two with strawberry jam, and three with cherry pie filling and fresh bananas! :welcome

trailangelmary
06-14-2009, 17:12
5 more loaves of Amish Friendship Bread in the oven, two with strawberry jam, and three with cherry pie filling and fresh bananas! :welcome

I think however I will give one away to the current through hikers in town.

reddog176
06-14-2009, 17:33
I should be there to help friday and saturday, unless we have great drying weather and I need to stay and make hay.

-Gadget

trailangelmary
06-14-2009, 23:49
Sorrentos has confirmed donation of lettuce tomato, onion and shredded cheese for the tacos and lettuce for the salad. Thanks Lisa. :banana

trailangelmary
06-14-2009, 23:51
A townie, Dave Grow has confirmed his donation of some sausage which will be used to make Italian Wedding Soup.

trailangelmary
06-14-2009, 23:53
a 15 lb case of bacon has been ordered from Ettline Foods (Dave Grow, salesman) for the bacon explosion.

trailangelmary
06-15-2009, 11:50
The White Sauce with zuchinni, brie cheese, ricotta cheese, fresh garlic, onion, and smoked gouda for one of the pasta dishes for Saturday evening is done.:clap

boarstone
06-16-2009, 10:31
Trailangel Mary....Your 1/2 gal of Maine Made Maple Syrup is on it's way. Coming by UPS direct from the company here in Maine. MadeinMaine.com. Seeing as I can't make it, as I'll be in Asheville on a hike of my own for a week, glad to send a rep from Maine at least! Enjoy!

Jester2000
06-16-2009, 13:31
Can you feel the love? Jesus, all of this cooperation is starting to get obnoxious.

Although I will say that all of the help we get from the townfolk in Duncannon is something that really does need to be highlighted -- it would be hard imagining how this whole ridiculous thing would work otherwise.

Mary -- I might be swinging by on Sunday. Thanks for all you do!

trailangelmary
06-16-2009, 16:35
Trailangel Mary....Your 1/2 gal of Maine Made Maple Syrup is on it's way. Coming by UPS direct from the company here in Maine. MadeinMaine.com. Seeing as I can't make it, as I'll be in Asheville on a hike of my own for a week, glad to send a rep from Maine at least! Enjoy!

That is so awesome! :banana Thank you very much and enjoy your hike.:clap

trailangelmary
06-16-2009, 16:38
Can you feel the love? Jesus, all of this cooperation is starting to get obnoxious

Yeah, I am having a hard time keeping this thread on the top of the list!!

trailangelmary
06-16-2009, 16:40
although I Will Say That All Of The Help We Get From The Townfolk In Duncannon Is Something That Really Does Need To Be Highlighted -- It Would Be Hard Imagining How This Whole Ridiculous Thing Would Work Otherwise.

ABSOLUTELY & All The Hiker Family That Cannot Attend But Still Donate & All The Hiker Family That Donate More Than Their Share!

Thank You To All.

trailangelmary
06-16-2009, 16:41
Mary -- I might be swinging by on Sunday. Thanks for all you do!

Do we (Billville) have games & fun planned yet or are we winging it!

Jester2000
06-16-2009, 16:55
Do we (Billville) have games & fun planned yet or are we winging it!

I'm working on something . . .

trailangelmary
06-16-2009, 22:39
I'm working on something . . .

Just like Jester to keep us in suspense! It will be good I'm sure!

trailangelmary
06-16-2009, 23:05
Talked today to 1 Pint who hiked in and out of Duncannon today. I was wondering why The Dude hasn't been posting but she said he is on the trail heading this way!
Also, wondering where is BJ

trailangelmary
06-16-2009, 23:06
1 pint is going to try to hitch back. Hope she can work out a ride. Great seeing her!

Jester2000
06-17-2009, 13:50
As of last known locations, The Dude passed through HF on his way home for his birthday a few days ago. Two days ago Bag o'Tricks passed through HF on his way to Waynesboro, the last known location of Jack.

Jack Tarlin
06-17-2009, 14:03
Whoops. Jack is no longer in Waynesboro anymore, he's with the Dude ready to go hiking in Northern Virginia. We're hoping to walk most of the way to Duncannon in order to get to town early enough to help Maryin the kitchen (at least I will, Dude can't cook worth a damn). Very sorry I missed Trix and will try to call him; if anyone out there talks to him, please tell him to get in touch with the Dude, either here or by phone (my private message box is full and not taking any incoming mail).

Anyway, thanx, and hope to see lots of you in Duncannon.

Newb
06-17-2009, 15:20
I'm gonna try to get up there. Is there room at the Doyle or is camping available?

If I do go..I might be able to pick up a straggler in the Pen Mar-Duncannon area.

trailangelmary
06-17-2009, 16:21
I'm gonna try to get up there. Is there room at the Doyle or is camping available?

If I do go..I might be able to pick up a straggler in the Pen Mar-Duncannon area.

Camping at the park is free. As you should know, first come first serve at the Doyle. That would be great if you or any other Billville member that is driving in to bring some hikers with you. As I have on my poster I am hanging in Duncannon "Hitch a ride back or forward. It will be worth it!"

trailangelmary
06-18-2009, 01:29
Thank you to the Subway in Duncannon (on Route 322 in the Turckstop)who will be donating 2 trays of cookies.

trailangelmary
06-18-2009, 01:33
Whoops. Jack is no longer in Waynesboro anymore, he's with the Dude ready to go hiking in Northern Virginia. We're hoping to walk most of the way to Duncannon in order to get to town early enough to help Maryin the kitchen (at least I will, Dude can't cook worth a damn). Very sorry I missed Trix and will try to call him; if anyone out there talks to him, please tell him to get in touch with the Dude, either here or by phone (my private message box is full and not taking any incoming mail).

Anyway, thanx, and hope to see lots of you in Duncannon.

Marsha has to change her plans because of family committments and will not be here early in the week to help. So, if it fits your plans, Jack, I could use you during the week before the feed. Either way, see you when you arrive.

trailangelmary
06-18-2009, 01:55
Camping at the park is free. As you should know, first come first serve at the Doyle. That would be great if you or any other Billville member that is driving in to bring some hikers with you. As I have on my poster I am hanging in Duncannon "Hitch a ride back or forward. It will be worth it!"

I was at the Doyle tonight. It's full. Lots of floor space also taken at the Doyle. Not too many floor spots left tonight.

m6amba
06-18-2009, 05:48
i wish i didnt have to work that weekend!
i might stop by to meet some people though....since i only live on teh other side of the river (halifax)

Lone Wolf
06-18-2009, 05:53
(my private message box is full and not taking any incoming mail).

well it's a very simple process to delete the messages

trailangelmary
06-18-2009, 06:52
i wish i didnt have to work that weekend!
i might stop by to meet some people though....since i only live on teh other side of the river (halifax)

We'll be glad to have you there.

Newb
06-18-2009, 08:01
arrrgh. I forgot I committed to a crawfish boil on the 27th.

Tin Man
06-18-2009, 08:43
arrrgh. I forgot I committed to a crawfish boil on the 27th.

how long does it take to lance a boil??

trailangelmary
06-18-2009, 10:48
6 more loaves of Amish Friendship Bread in the oven!:clap

Jack Tarlin
06-18-2009, 10:54
This is fine news, Mary, but Redneck raised an excellent question at Trail Days.

Amish Friendship Bread is all well and good, but where is the Mennonite Hate Loaf?

Just wonderin'.

Tin Man
06-18-2009, 11:01
This is fine news, Mary, but Redneck raised an excellent question at Trail Days.

Amish Friendship Bread is all well and good, but where is the Mennonite Hate Loaf?

Just wonderin'.

I think they save it for the Minnesota Bull Smith meetings.

Jester2000
06-18-2009, 18:11

Just wonderin'.

I believe Chomp is bringing the Mennonite Hate Loaf, which now apparently has its own fan page on Facebook.

trailangelmary
06-19-2009, 19:11
Thanks to Mutzabaugh's Market who has committed to a donation of 15 lbs ground beef, 15 lbs sweet italian sausage, 1 case eggs, 50 ears corn, and all the ice we need:banana:clap:welcome:jump

trailangelmary
06-19-2009, 19:21
Thanks to Mutzabaugh's Market who has committed to a donation of 15 lbs ground beef, 15 lbs sweet italian sausage, 1 case eggs, 50 ears corn, and all the ice we need:banana:clap:welcome:jump

Mutzabaugh's Market sends a shuttle everyday to the Doyle Hotel (http://www.doylehotel.com/) so hikers can resupply.

Panzer1
06-19-2009, 22:03
I never camped there before. What's it like. Is the camping Ok, or would it be better to get a room?

Panzer

Lone Wolf
06-19-2009, 22:06
I never camped there before. What's it like. Is the camping Ok, or would it be better to get a room?

Panzer

a room? in the doyle in july? with no air condition? no brainer

trailangelmary
06-20-2009, 02:22

Panzer

The free camping is along the fence line at the baseball field. So it is whatever you prefer. For me, even though I live a few blocks from the event at Cooper Field, I still camp because I love a reason to camp/ sleep out and be close to the hiker family. If I want to be inside a hot room I could stay at home and turn the air conditioning off! And as some of you may have noticed I set up my tent but don't always sleep in it...I like to look at the stars as I go to sleep. And also, I like to be close to the Billville kitchen at Cooper field and the camp coffee when I wake up!

mweinstone
06-20-2009, 08:48
at the dudes house with baltimore jack tarlin and jones. we drove from philly after they had an late night at the matterairium, their all crashed out here at dudes house and im up and got 9 days off and packed and brushed of teeth and bushy tailed and hard up for trail. i want a ride now if anyone is passing sterling va and wants to make matthewski happy and dump his ass off anywhere from front royal to harpers. my cell is on. 215 668 0898. ill pay any amount to get to a shelter on the trail and crash their. dudes house may be a luxurious welcomeing place of comfort but i crave the harder softer places so bad. so if you wanna shuttle job this morning. hurry.

mweinstone
06-20-2009, 08:53
now, about this lwolf statement of his morning. no brainer. i dont get it. is you saysin doyals hot? or cool?cause 23 has central air you know. its the only one. problem is its central hot air comming out of my ass.bullship comming out of my mouth. and hot temperedness radiating out my head.and on top of me,...im hot as crap.so im thinkin your sayin im hot?

Jester2000
06-20-2009, 12:15
Camping on the baseball field is fine, I think. Level, soft, and the occasional breeze comes through. The only potential problem (which should be considered in light of all the rain), is that is can get soggy. The field drains quickly, though, and being at the top of the town the water flows down and out pretty quickly.

Chaco Taco
06-20-2009, 18:18

Just wonderin'.

Why dont you email Mr Chacowitz and see if he can send some along??? Im sure he is due for a donation

Chaco Taco
06-20-2009, 18:19
at the dudes house with baltimore jack tarlin and jones. we drove from philly after they had an late night at the matterairium, their all crashed out here at dudes house and im up and got 9 days off and packed and brushed of teeth and bushy tailed and hard up for trail. i want a ride now if anyone is passing sterling va and wants to make matthewski happy and dump his ass off anywhere from front royal to harpers. my cell is on. 215 668 0898. ill pay any amount to get to a shelter on the trail and crash their. dudes house may be a luxurious welcomeing place of comfort but i crave the harder softer places so bad. so if you wanna shuttle job this morning. hurry.
Yea thanks for the drunk dialing last night

Hoop Time
06-20-2009, 21:21
Cookie Monster is living up to her name. She (with a little parental help) has been baking cookies all last night and all day today. I think she said she will have around 15 dozen whole wheat oatmeal raisins when she finishes tonight. That ought to last an hour anyhow. Since she will be at basketball camp until Thursday, most of those should make it to the feed.

Panzer1
06-20-2009, 23:30
they are prediction a 30% chance of rain in Duncannon on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Panzer :(

trailangelmary
06-21-2009, 14:45
The Peanut Butter Soup is done. I added some different seasonings this time - ginger and cloves. It's really good! Back to the kitchen. Lots to do today. Have to work and extra shift this week at the Unimart tomorrow so more to do today since I won't have time to prepare for the feed tomorrow.

Tinker
06-21-2009, 14:51
6 more loaves of Amish Friendship Bread in the oven!:clap

Someone in my church started that stuff here. My wife's been making it and giving it away every week. I never thought I'd get tired of something that I actually LIKE!

Enjoy the feed. I'm working 6-1/2 days (took 1/2 day off today for Father's Day since the bike business is a little soft due to the rain).

trailangelmary
06-21-2009, 17:34
Someone in my church started that stuff here. My wife's been making it and giving it away every week. I never thought I'd get tired of something that I actually LIKE!

Enjoy the feed. I'm working 6-1/2 days (took 1/2 day off today for Father's Day since the bike business is a little soft due to the rain).

I stated making it for hikers last season. Instead of following the instructions on the recipe (i.e. make two loaves, keep one starter for yourself, and give other 3 starters with recipe away) I make 8 loaves and keep one starter. At the end of the hiker season, I freeze that one starter when I stop baking and get it out the next hiker season or event.

I also vary the recipe. Instead of always using instant vanilla pudding, I vary the flavor of the pudding. I also vary the 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup applesauce to 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup of apple or cherry pie filling or 1/2 cup preserves or 1/2 cup mandarin oranges or 1/2 cup of hot pepper berry patch jelly or the possibilities are endless! No boredom that way!

trailangelmary
06-21-2009, 17:35
Chicken Noodle soup is done. Taste test - I'm pleased! Back to the kitchen!

trailangelmary
06-21-2009, 18:08
Using last bag of Bob's Red Mill Vegi Soup Mix that was donated last year for the 3rd Soup. Simmered half the bag and then used the "boat motor" on it to make it creamed. Now simmering the other half of bag and added garlic that just finished roasting in the oven. Will add crushed tomatoes to it all for a finished soup.

trailangelmary
06-21-2009, 18:12
The red sauce for one of the pasta dishes is simmering and the bread is rising for the garlic bread that will be served with that meal. Instead of making garlic bread from prepared loaves that day. I rolled bread dough out into long, wide loaves and cut slits and put the garlic butter, oregano and parsley on the bread. My kitchen smells so good! I love garlic!

trailangelmary
06-21-2009, 18:13
Soon time for a drink break!:jump

Tin Man
06-21-2009, 18:16
Soon time for a drink break!:jump
i wouldn't wait.... have a few :)

trailangelmary
06-21-2009, 19:26
i wouldn't wait.... have a few :)

Last pan of garlic bread in oven. Then I can take a break.

mweinstone
06-22-2009, 22:31
at tam's . trail angel marys is as empty as freestate was. all day its been sureel . my room at the doyal will be arted up tonight with my monsters. vickys wonderful. five thrus in doyal tonight. five or ten on trail today. its so cool to have trail friends of the calibre of these. i love you all so frickin much it aint no joke. no joke at all. its the best hikeing wheather ive had this season. the solstice means hikeing from sunup to dusk can get you 20 pluse easy with time on your hands and black rasberries on your breath . matt from dc is a johnney thunder type hiker. hes conciderate, leaves towns feeling good about hikers and helps everyone he can. me and him make a great team. hes a giver. and he hikes well. and talks good and pulls in the good chicks. he stopped in pen mar for a vist home. come to the feed everyone. its gonna be a peacefull time with belly stuffing for all and for all a good pig.oxoxooxooxmatty

trailangelmary
06-23-2009, 03:03
When I got home from work there were notes from Matty in my apt! Big notes so I wouldn't miss them. LOL! He is going to help Pat & Vickie and do some clean up from someone(s) spraying doors, locks, windows and benches with spray glue! I saw Pat earlier today and he was telling about them not being able to get in this morning until they clean the locks of the glue! Then saw Officer Bruno later and he said someone did that a few years ago too! Crazy!

Excitement is building for the Billville Feed & FUN weekend!

Newb
06-23-2009, 14:19
Looks like I'll be there. May bring the significant other. She's deciding.

trailangelmary
06-23-2009, 15:46
Looks like I'll be there. May bring the significant other. She's deciding.

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

trailangelmary
06-23-2009, 15:49
If anyone arrives early for the feed Fred Lauster, Duncannon's former Borough President, could use some help at the park. He is working hard trying to get the kitchen and bathrooms in order. Both flooded from the recent heavy rains. He's in his 70's now and could use help moving heavy stuff and cleaning.

Panzer1
06-23-2009, 15:49
I'll be there too. I camping in the park. See you around.

Panzer :banana

trailangelmary
06-23-2009, 15:52
I'll be there too. I camping in the park. See you around.

Panzer :banana

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

mweinstone
06-23-2009, 17:35
marys got two jobs. shes worked the unimart for 8 hours already, and that dosnt include our trip at 8am to matzaballs to pick up the donated box of sasage and hudge bag o cow they loved on us. shes at her second job now till late and all day folks want avon products and shes our feedmasteriss.mistress. whatever. the point isnt spelling. its that marys working for us and shes gonna cry tears of love for us like she allways does when she sees us all eating and shareing. soooo. why not stop in and do a little before your second drink at the doyal. sure, have one. then get over to ann street above the pub and donate your elbo greese to wash the colers im not washing even though i promised cause the doyals a priority today. and if someone wants to bring me bacon, hey, thats on them man.oxoxoxoxmatty

trailangelmary
06-24-2009, 09:26
Baltimore Jack, Where are you? I need my kitchen b.....h NOW!!!! Got the bacon weaves (10) done last night while working at the Pub along with some of the cooked bacon for inside the bacon explosion and the cole slaw made. Still lots to do. Matty cleaning my coolers now. Doing some errands then going to work at the Pub. Come on over and visit me. I do not have time to come to the Doyle to visit you if you are there! I made my list of things to do yet last night after dropping 3 boxes of food at the walk-in cooler at the Legion. I'm 3 hours behind. Better get moving.

Jester2000
06-24-2009, 10:48
Had problem with transport; will be arriving with Jester as soon as I can.

Jester2000
06-24-2009, 10:48
Whoops, forgot to sign out Jester's account.

trailangelmary
06-24-2009, 15:40
Hikers are talking about hitching back for the feed. Matty talking it up in Duncannon and handing out programs to hikers. I have to put on my AVON hat for a while. But will be working late into the night finishing all the prep cooking and packing of equipment needs from my kitchen. It's crunch time. I will try to pencil in some sleep though!!

trailangelmary
06-26-2009, 00:55
I am pumped! It's all coming together! Hikers arriving. 20 already at park tonight. Last stop up there movie on and thank you, Walkin Home for keeping an eye on the park while I load and run!

StarLyte
06-26-2009, 14:14
Mary has a way of making one feel real welcomed.

I won't be making it. And I'm beyond sad.

I love hiker events.

I love my friends :sun

trailangelmary
06-26-2009, 18:03

I love hiker events.

I am so sorry you can't make it Starlyte. I miss you. Lots of hugs coming your way. I will tell all you said Hi!

Tin Man
06-26-2009, 18:09

I love hiker events.

that settles it... i won't be there :eek:

Ox97GaMe
06-26-2009, 18:44
Ya'll have a real good time this weekend. Wish I could make it up there.

Yes, there is a lot of planning that goes into these sorts of feeds. The Brown Gap feed has been going on for 19 years now and we are still finding ways to reduce waste and improve the entire process.

One thing that we found REALLY helps is storing each meal's contents in different coolers packed on ice and labeled. By not having to dig through coolers each meal time, we were able to reduce the amount of ice we needed by 1/3.

Mary, I would be intrested in talking with you after your feed is through this year to get ideas for our BG feed next year. PM me when you get some time. :)

Jester2000
06-28-2009, 14:11
Well that went well. Lots of love and thanks to the Billville Crew (especially Mary), Pat & Vicky and all of the town folks who help us out every year, the hikers who came and made it a great time, and my mom.

Special thanks to Sgt. Derr for not Tasering me and Officer Bruno for the weather report and the stories.

I do have to say that the highlight of the weekend for me was completely unexpected -- getting to spend some time with TDS, who arrived at The Doyle on Saturday.

Anyway, back to work tomorrow. Boo.

mweinstone
06-28-2009, 22:34
i learned alot this event. i learned that jesters mom is greater than i knew. and jester is a soul friend, for life. and i learned i cant play sports or leki throw or taught line too good still. and i learned that ray walkin home is a great example of a man and a voulenteer. i learned just how much pat loves vicky. i learned how much vicky loves me. i learned that the dude is my friend for many lifetimes. i learned that the healing power of a short walk in the woods takes the pain of lifes woes away and replaces them with prayer and hope. i learned that their is a warm loveing family of residents and employees and friends that actually are and call themselves a family . vicky,pat,tater, curtis, jimmy, jim, terry, pam and sue and even me some how. im learning some things about prayer and fasting and being quiet inside even if i still am hyperactive all around. but now i must tell and document something that happened this feed that must be the most prayed for thing in my life. i finnaly got what i always wanted from the man called god. and that is to be allowed to become a philanthropist artist. i belive the first steps to becoming the next piccoso have allready been set in motion as of this weeks events.
let me tell please of a hiker named matthewski.

matthewski started asking to be a major player in the worlds affairs at age 5 or 6 .i made plans. worked and prayed and was patient. and it may have just happened here in a billville event this week. i was told i will be selling my art. by a woman who dosnt ever lie to me. a woman who is a powerful mom and executive. pat. jesters mom. she has given me more hope for getting known in the art world, with her zeal for my happieness being her motive. she will persue my fame with me i belive. we have the beginning of a plan. or she does. me and jester both truly understand the commitment abilitys and love of this woman. shes a force to be reconed with and shes gonna do some reconin on mattys behalf. its like christmas morning in my head and dreams. somehow, i belive this may be the big moment and pat may be the cause that starts it. shes the right lady to push me in the right direction. something jester and pat do alot for me. and i love them. this may seem personal . its a hikers story of being a hiker and how the hikers he met, and their familys , changed the world. and me.

an executive ceo from hersheys dropped off a heck of alot of chocolate and wants to make a commercial about me. here is the second of three unbeliveable events that came to me wrapped in trail angel marys town, surrounded by loveing friends, and at a time when i want peace. she starts with, "how did you guess im an artist, im an executive at hershys chocolate as well?" i was playing my guessing games......she asked my intrest. " im an artist too" she was excited and wanted to tell me all about a poor artist who became famouse painting mostly on brown cheap paper and boxes. i waited paitently and then spoke."ive been illustrateing the bible for 18 years and im working in chocolate" recently i stopped spending too much on the paints i like and just use chunks of chocolate to make my monsters and angels. she freaks out. her eyes buldge and pulse . shes about 65 and not too thin. she runs , runs ......up to 23 cause i remember the doors open and i made 15 new pictures on the walls this week. so i propped open the door and left each day , a gallery of sorts. i let her go up alone. she wants to use me in advertizing and help my carrer.
three. good god good comes in threes!? yup! so then im comming and going back and fourth doing stuff and one day the hairstylests in front of the shop next too the doyal,....stop me and say,"did you know that you are the spitting image of the worlds most reconized famouse hairstylest who lives in the ritz in new york?" no i say. they then agree i could make love to his wife, withdraw money at his bank without question or make him an offer to look at my art with the hopes of putting it in his world to get recognition.

Lone Wolf
06-29-2009, 05:51
say what? :-?

mweinstone
06-29-2009, 06:15
i get discovered easy. i mean excited. feel me wolf, just feel me. serial could show you how i like it. im feelin your running. its feelin like a marathjon. you feelin marathon dave?

Lone Wolf
06-29-2009, 06:24
i feel beyond marathon. marathons are for sissies. not a true test

TOW
06-29-2009, 07:03
Matty you have a way of drawing someone into a thought....

mweinstone
06-29-2009, 07:03
yo wolf. when youve been scared to within a ramman of your life like you have, sometimes we run it out. like the time i landed in gale force 60 mile an hour winds in a jet at san marin international airoport with max my son and the captian said we were all gonna die maby,...well after that flight, i ran down to condado beach where we allways stay and ran 22 miles out of sheer needing to prove beyond the shadow of baltimore jacks stomach that i was alive and made my heart prove it. running got me thru addictions recoveries and made me thin. running helped my hikeing and gave me a spirit of a traveling sports runner guy b o b e r. run till you know your alive and then bragg alot about it cause no one runs . their all walkers and hikjers. putting weight on your back and walking for 75 years is easy mr l. wolfinskidoodle. running 5 each day or 15 three times a week and a 22 once a month for 10 or fifteen years in the prime and then again in the sag of life,...well... its unbeliveably hard. knowone runs. cause its the hardest walk. the hardest way to traverse. a bad trip that feels good later but hurts each time. it dont hurt to hike. it sucks in heat or snow maby a little. but running contains walls each time to climb over. big ,..mental walss.

StarLyte
06-29-2009, 07:17
gimme a bite of that kit kat bar.

you go Matty.

Lone Wolf
06-29-2009, 07:19
yo wolf. when youve been scared to within a ramman of your life like you have, sometimes we run it out. like the time i landed in gale force 60 mile an hour winds in a jet at san marin international airoport with max my son and the captian said we were all gonna die maby,...well after that flight, i ran down to condado beach where we allways stay and ran 22 miles out of sheer needing to prove beyond the shadow of baltimore jacks stomach that i was alive and made my heart prove it. running got me thru addictions recoveries and made me thin. running helped my hikeing and gave me a spirit of a traveling sports runner guy b o b e r. run till you know your alive and then bragg alot about it cause no one runs . their all walkers and hikjers. putting weight on your back and walking for 75 years is easy mr l. wolfinskidoodle. running 5 each day or 15 three times a week and a 22 once a month for 10 or fifteen years in the prime and then again in the sag of life,...well... its unbeliveably hard. knowone runs. cause its the hardest walk. the hardest way to traverse. a bad trip that feels good later but hurts each time. it dont hurt to hike. it sucks in heat or snow maby a little. but running contains walls each time to climb over. big ,..mental walss.
1 honey bee almost put me to bed a week ago

mweinstone
06-29-2009, 07:27
i almost put me to bed many foolish times and we all do when we buy our food at the dangermart. most people dont take things for granted . they steal them strong arm robbery style for granted. then they murder and rape granted itself. ive found granted choped and buryied in my yard not knowing i did it but with granted all over my hands and clothes in the morning proveing the slaughter. in life, their will be matthewskis. but each one is fragil and comes with no warrenty. you break it, you buy it. whats this thread about? oh, billville.

mweinstone
06-29-2009, 07:31
now i gotta leave the empty coffie and the off computer to laze around haveing sex all day or whatever it is inatamite objects do when were not lookin. lead and aspestose removal awaits my every morning since i was 15. its what i love. and i love it well. tonight i will humor you all again. i only hope this much fun is cool with your jarvic 7 .

WalkinHome
06-29-2009, 19:42
Hey Matt, I accidentally dropped something in the bottom of your chalk container. OOPS!!!

mweinstone
06-29-2009, 20:01
the art supplys were all left for the children useing the park the next day. what do you put in a chalk box and then go oops about?2156680898

High Life
06-29-2009, 20:05
1 honey bee almost put me to bed a week ago

darn it LW i'm coming to visit before you go all MJ ( michael jackson)
on me .. i'll play you some new songs on the giitah

Tin Man
06-29-2009, 20:20
darn it LW i'm coming to visit before you go all MJ ( michael jackson)
on me .. i'll play you some new songs on the giitah

lw is no mj, duh

Jesters Mom
06-30-2009, 17:14
I just wanted to thank Trail Angel Mary so much for the incredible amount of work she does every year to pull off the hiker feed in Duncannon. She works so hard and so tirelessly for weeks before the feed so that this feed can run as smoothly as it does. It could never be done without her and all the organizing and cooking and everything else that she does. Thanks also to all the kitchen volunteers - you did such a great job.

Jack Tarlin
06-30-2009, 21:27
Great post above, but Jester's Mom is way too modest.....this year she provided just about ALL of the desert items, ALL of them homemade, and there were too many different things for me to name them here.

Anyway, it was a great time in Duncannon this past weekend; thanx to all the great folks who attended and all who helped make it happen.

mweinstone
07-01-2009, 07:42
the molicule #3674658493 passed over my position 237465 ast 1500 hrs with no apparent impart.sending.
trans posit stroke oblk node 4 at 1000hrs please.
t-78 plus 0
calculating forbiture cosequdence polymor and crabt. be ready . id4758967567849087657890-l

Panzer1
07-05-2009, 00:08
the molicule #3674658493 passed over my position 237465 ast 1500 hrs with no apparent impart.sending.
t-78 plus 0
calculating forbiture cosequdence polymor and crabt. be ready . id4758967567849087657890-l

Well said...:D

Panzer

Hoop Time
07-05-2009, 10:13
I just wanted to thank Trail Angel Mary so much for the incredible amount of work she does every year to pull off the hiker feed in Duncannon. She works so hard and so tirelessly for weeks before the feed so that this feed can run as smoothly as it does. It could never be done without her and all the organizing and cooking and everything else that she does. Thanks also to all the kitchen volunteers - you did such a great job.

You could start a whole thread here, many, many pages long, about Trail Angel Mary and all she does for the hikers. You'd think after the Billville feed she'd be ready to take a weekend "off" to relax, but Thursday I got a message from her that she was planning a "mini-feed" for the Fourth.

Not only did she pull together a nice feed for around 20 hikers who were in town for the holiday, but she also put three of them up for the night when they couldn't get a room at the Doyle.

I know there are lots of other folks along the trail who take care of the hikers, but as a resident of Central Pa., I am awfully happy that we have someone like Mary putting a face on our area to the folks from around the country, even the world, who visit us on foot. Trail "Angel" is too modest a term for her. She ought to be canonized as a Trail Saint.

trailangelmary
07-05-2009, 11:07
Not only did she pull together a nice feed for around 20 hikers who were in town for the holiday, but she also put three of them up for the night when they couldn't get a room at the Doyle.

Don't want Pat & Vicky at the Doyle to get more upset than I hear they already are because I fed hikers a meal yesterday. Those three hikers did not choose to stay at the Doyle, they were going to stealth camp.
And Hoop Time and Cookie Monster thank you for the wonderful desserts and pasta dish you contributed.

Hoop Time
07-05-2009, 11:59
Pat and Vicky are great folks, but they can't get upset about hikers being fed once in a while any more than they can be upset if they eat at one of the pizza places or at the Pub. They are plenty busy this time of the year. Heck, Thursday night I couldn't even get a steak there because they were so busy they had sold out. And those two growlers I brought yesterday certainly did not put a dent in their beer sales.

trailangelmary
07-06-2009, 00:48
Pat and Vicky are great folks, but they can't get upset about hikers being fed once in a while any more than they can be upset if they eat at one of the pizza places or at the Pub. They are plenty busy this time of the year. Heck, Thursday night I couldn't even get a steak there because they were so busy they had sold out. And those two growlers I brought yesterday certainly did not put a dent in their beer sales.

I agree. Thanks, Hoop Time.

Lone Wolf
07-06-2009, 06:32
Don't want Pat & Vicky at the Doyle to get more upset than I hear they already are because I fed hikers a meal yesterday. Those three hikers did not choose to stay at the Doyle, they were going to stealth camp.
And Hoop Time and Cookie Monster thank you for the wonderful desserts and pasta dish you contributed.

hmmmm. sounds like the doyle is about the money

sheepdog
07-06-2009, 06:34
t-78 plus 0
message received 100782 delta

Hoop Time
07-06-2009, 07:08
hmmmm. sounds like the doyle is about the money

Of course it is about money. Pat and Vicky didn't buy the place to run a homeless shelter. It is their business. And while I know there are those who might be critical of the accommodations since they don't turn down the bed and leave a mint on your pillow, they do provide services that a lot of hikers enjoy.

Just like any outfitter, or any other place along the trail that markets to hikers (or any other American business), they are in it to make a profit. And I don't think anyone would accuse them of being greedy, or of taking advantage of the hikers.

But at the same time, they should not be upset with Mary for putting on a feed now and then. Rather they should realize that Mary is as big a part of Duncannon's lure and reputation as a trail town as the Doyle is. Mary is a big reason the town has a reputation of being hiker friendly these days. It was not always that way. And that reputation has a lot to do with people stopping there and buying meals, rooms and beer at the Doyle (or pizza up the street, breakfast across the street, groceries at Mutzabaugh's).

The Billlville feed draws a big crowd of hikers that aim to be in Duncannon for that weekend (and the Winter Warmer fills up the Doyle on an "out-of-season" weekend). And I know a bunch of hikers I talked to late last week were planning to get to Duncannon by the Fourth because they heard there might be some sort of trail magic going on. All that is pretty much the result of Marty's efforts.

In a small town like Duncannon, the hiker influx provides a significant boost to the local economy. The Billville Feed is the equivalent of bringing a small convention to town. Folks there need to all work together to keep making it a welcoming place instead of squabbling.

trailangelmary
07-06-2009, 12:39
I choose not to participate in squabbling. Just stating what some of the hikers in town told me. Although Pat, Vicky and I have had our disagreements over the years. The relationship with them is a lot better than it used to be.

I have my opinions of the Doyle and the owners, some good and some not so good. But I try to speak of only the good to anyone. The Doyle has also great entertainment on Fridays and Saturdays. The Doyle is a great stop in Duncannon despite some rare hikers opinions.

And thank you Hoop Time, I do believe I have made a difference in the hiker friendliness in this town since I moved here.

And those hikers that venture out of the Doyle will also find good food and spirits at Sorrentos and The Pub (both big contributers to the Billville Feed.) Also don't forget to stop at 3B's for ice cream. We take our ice cream seriously in Duncannon - small cone - 2 and a half dips! And if you are taking a zero in Duncannon on a Thursday and/or through Sunday the Old Sled Works on Market St is filled with various vendors that have from antiques to modern arts and crafts and also old time games. And you can view some of the sleds that used to be made there. And then on your way out of town just to the left of the trail as it turns to cross the Susquehanna River, The Riviera Tavern (also a big contributer to the Billville Feed).

Just yesterday a townie was telling me how much her and her mother enjoy the hikers who always stop and chat if they are on the porch up on High St as they are hiking on the whiteblaze out of town.

The most important thing to me that I like to do my part and encourage other townies to do is make the hikers feel like they are taking a break at "home" where they can find love, comfort and an encouraging word and some good home cooked food!