PDA

View Full Version : montbell U.L.Down Inner Jacket

hawkeye
05-24-2009, 18:38
Hi, I have a Patagonia Puffball jacket. I was looking at the Montbell U.L.Down Inner Jacket . A lot lighter and compact. Has anyone tried one? Like to hear your opinions on it. Thanks,
Greg

doodah man
05-24-2009, 19:42
Hi, I have a Patagonia Puffball jacket. I was looking at the Montbell U.L.Down Inner Jacket . A lot lighter and compact. Has anyone tried one? Like to hear your opinions on it. Thanks,
Greg

hawkeye,
I have a MB UL Down Inner Jacket. So far I have used it for 4 weeks on the AT and 3 weeks on the JMT. I like it a lot. It still looks new, so even though light, it seems to be rugged enough. Note that the sizes run small. For most things, size Large usually fits me fine, but had to go with X-Large on that jacket. (Japanese sizing?) doodah-man

Phreak
05-24-2009, 21:21
I own this jacket and love it.

bigcranky
05-24-2009, 22:26
My Micropuff pullover has more loft than the my Montbell UL Down Inner vest (which is the same as the jacket as far as I can tell.) So it's slightly warmer for the extra weight. Not sure if that matters.

RockDoc
05-25-2009, 05:03
I have the MB inner jacket too. Love it as well.

Jayboflavin04
05-25-2009, 09:11
Love it! Again sizing is small. If you wear a medium order a large.

troglobil
05-25-2009, 10:14
What they said.

Egads
05-25-2009, 14:35
Used it to sleep in this weekend. Temps hit high 50*s. Lightest insulation a person can own.

take-a-knee
05-25-2009, 16:57
I've never understood these patchwork UL vests and jackets. A 0.9oz shell weighs the same whether you put one ounce of down in it or three or four. So, you cut your insulative value by 60-75% to save two or three ounces. Something like a Western Mountaineering Flight Vest or the Feathered Friends version is a lot smarter.

Egads
05-25-2009, 17:08
I've never understood these patchwork UL vests and jackets. A 0.9oz shell weighs the same whether you put one ounce of down in it or three or four. So, you cut your insulative value by 60-75% to save two or three ounces. Something like a Western Mountaineering Flight Vest or the Feathered Friends version is a lot smarter.

Is this insight coming from an owner of the MB?

bigcranky
05-25-2009, 20:25

Only if one requires that amount of insulation. Montbell sells three or four versions of this jacket, with varying amounts of fill -- pick the one that works for you. The UL Down Inner, the Alpine Light, the Alpine, etc.

If all I need is a mid-layer for cool season hiking on the AT, the UL Down Inner is pretty darn good. I have a big honkin' down jacket for winter use -- I would never carry it in the summer.

take-a-knee
05-25-2009, 21:07
Is this insight coming from an owner of the MB?

No, coming from one who's looked at them (at Walasi Yi), tried them on, and compared their weights. I don't buy anything without first considering:

1) Will it do what I need it to do?

2) What does it weigh?

3) Will it last?

Greentick18D's field jacket liner weighs about two ounces more that the Montbell, is just as warm, and costs about a tenth as much.

take-a-knee
05-25-2009, 21:08
Only if one requires that amount of insulation. Montbell sells three or four versions of this jacket, with varying amounts of fill -- pick the one that works for you. The UL Down Inner, the Alpine Light, the Alpine, etc.

If all I need is a mid-layer for cool season hiking on the AT, the UL Down Inner is pretty darn good. I have a big honkin' down jacket for winter use -- I would never carry it in the summer.

My JRB No Sniveler keeps me warm in the summer and weighs nothing since it is also my sleeping gear.

verber
05-25-2009, 23:18

Two observations. First, sometimes people people want less insulation. I tend to run hot. As a result I switch from a warmer insulation layer to a lighter one not because I wanted to save weight or volume (though I appreciate those savings) but because I was overheating in the warmer garment on most trips. For maybe people, the Down Inner jacket / vest is the right amount of insulation.

The other thing is that the actual thermal properties are more complex that just inches of loft. Richard Nisley started an interesting thread about a new paradigm for understanding (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18950&skip_to_post=147100#147100)garment warmth.

--mark

take-a-knee
05-25-2009, 23:45
Two observations. First, sometimes people people want less insulation. I tend to run hot. As a result I switch from a warmer insulation layer to a lighter one not because I wanted to save weight or volume (though I appreciate those savings) but because I was overheating in the warmer garment on most trips. For maybe people, the Down Inner jacket / vest is the right amount of insulation.

The other thing is that the actual thermal properties are more complex that just inches of loft. Richard Nisley started an interesting thread about a new paradigm for understanding (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18950&skip_to_post=147100#147100)garment warmth.

--mark

I have a synthetic primaloft hooded jacket (Gossamer by REI) that weighs a pound and fits like a glove. It is warm enough for me down to freezing and no lower, it has about the same loft as the Montbell UL down jacket. I'm going to a thicker down jacket for colder temps. I'll carry an extra 3-4ounces so that I know I'll be warm.

JAK
05-26-2009, 09:39
I've never understood these patchwork UL vests and jackets. A 0.9oz shell weighs the same whether you put one ounce of down in it or three or four. So, you cut your insulative value by 60-75% to save two or three ounces. Something like a Western Mountaineering Flight Vest or the Feathered Friends version is a lot smarter.All you really need it the shell, over your skin layer and wool sweater. Down is for sleeping bags and sub zero.

take-a-knee
05-26-2009, 11:26
All you really need it the shell, over your skin layer and wool sweater. Down is for sleeping bags and sub zero.

I'm not a Canadian like you!