PDA

View Full Version : AT hikers find human bones in Baxter

SavageLlama
06-22-2004, 11:51
I never find souvenirs like this on the trail..

Bone fragment believed to be human found near Baxter Park

June 22, 2004
Associated Press Newswires (http://javascript<b></b>:NewWindow(%20'FIISrcDetails','?from=article&ids=aprs');void(0);)

BAXTER STATE PARK, Maine (AP) - The state medical examiner's office plans to analyze what was believed to be a human bone fragment found last week by Appalachian Trail hikers near the south end of Baxter State Park.
The bone may be examined by a forensic anthropologist and undergo DNA testing, said Jim Ferland, administrator in the medical examiner's office.

The piece of bone looked like a human bone fragment, said Trooper Matt Grant of the Maine State Police.

The hikers took the bone to the gatekeeper at Togue Pond, who reported it to police. If the bone is human, it could be linked to one of a few missing persons whose disappearances in the park region have remained unsolved.

Among them is Thomas Jacoby, 18, of Pennsylvania, who left his father's home in 1991, drove to Maine and disappeared in the north woods carrying a .38 caliber revolver. His vehicle and some personal items were recovered over the years, but no one has heard from or seen him.
- - - - - - -

TJ aka Teej
06-22-2004, 17:55
I never find souvenirs like this on the trail..

A few weeks ago PosterBoy found a human skull while looking for the cannister on top of Mt Kancamagus. He left the remains in place (the correct thing to do) informed the police and led them back the next day. Bone season is usually in Spring after the snow melt and before the woods leaf out, it's surprising that someone found something this time of year in Baxter.

SavageLlama
06-23-2004, 09:33
story from Maine paper..

Police: Baxter bone fragment believed to be human
BY DIANA BOWLEY
June 22, 2004
Bangor Daily News (http://javascript<b></b>:NewWindow(%20'FIISrcDetails','?from=article&ids=bngr');void(0);)

BAXTER STATE PARK - A bone fragment believed to be human found late last week by a couple of hikers near Baxter State Park has been taken for analysis to the state medical examiner's office in Augusta.

The piece of bone looked to be a human bone fragment, according to Trooper Matt Grant of the Maine State Police, who was planning to deliver the bone to the medical examiner's office Monday.

If in fact the bone is human, it possibly could be connected to one of a few missing persons whose disappearances in the park region have remained unsolved.

Grant said two Appalachian Trail hikers, preparing to leave their campsite late last week outside of the park in Township 2 Range 9 Wels, found the bone. The hikers took the bone to the gatekeeper at Togue Pond, who in turn reported the find to police.

Jim Ferland, administrator in the medical examiner's office, said that depending upon the initial outcome, the bone may be examined by a forensic anthropologist and tests conducted to determine its DNA.

Among the unsolved cases involving the area in and around Baxter State Park is the disappearance of Thomas Jacoby, 18, of Pennsylvania. Jacoby left his father's Pennsylvania home in 1991, drove to Maine and disappeared in the north woods carrying a .38 caliber revolver.

Although Jacoby's vehicle and some of his personal items were recovered over the years, no one has heard from or seen the teenager.

weary
06-23-2004, 09:33
A few weeks ago PosterBoy found a human skull while looking for the cannister on top of Mt Kancamagus. He left the remains in place (the correct thing to do) informed the police and led them back the next day. Bone season is usually in Spring after the snow melt and before the woods leaf out, it's surprising that someone found something this time of year in Baxter.

Many years ago -- maybe 30 or so -- a man from Ohio in his 90s hiked towards Chimney Pond from Roaring Brook and was never seen again. Speculation was that this was his way to commit suicide. That the guy just found an out of the way hiding spot, crawled in and let nature take its course.

If so it has certain attractions. I might try it in 20 years or so, except that it seems like an awful dirty trick to play on the rangers who would have to search for me. I may just have someone scatter my ashes there. It would be my last act of protest against park rules, since ashes are considered litter that need to conform to LNT and "Carry In, Carry Out."

TJ is right. Once the leaves emerge, it's pretty hard to find stuff in wild areas like Baxter. The July after a college group was wiped out by a snow slide, I wandered into the area hoping to find some useful gear. No one had been hurt, but most of the party had lost packs and climbing gear. However, I couldn't find a thing.

Weary

smokymtnsteve
06-23-2004, 09:40
I may just have someone scatter my ashes there. It would be my last act of protest against park rules, since ashes are considered litter that need to conform to LNT and "Carry In, Carry Out."

Weary

THE WORDS OF ABBEY

"The rebel is doomed to a violent death. The rest of us can look forward to sedated expiration in a coma inside an oxygen tent, with tubes inserted in every bodily orifice."

THANKS BE TO ABBEY

The Will
06-24-2004, 21:16
If so it has certain attractions. I might try it in 20 years or so, except that it seems like an awful dirty trick to play on the rangers who would have to search for me. I may just have someone scatter my ashes there. It would be my last act of protest against park rules, since ashes are considered litter that need to conform to LNT and "Carry In, Carry Out."

Weary,

I'm including a link to an article you might be interested in. Infact, based on your location in the northwest, you might already be familiar with this story.

I think it's a wonderful thing to "go out" at a time and in a way of your own choosing.

http://outside.away.com/outside/magazine/200006/200006waterman1.html

You might have to do some kind of free registration thing to access the article. It's a good read about Guy Waterman....climbed Franconia ridge in winter, sat down and waited to die. Jon Krackauer makes mention of him and his sons peripherally in "Into the Wild".

The Will
MEGA '97

Pencil Pusher
07-25-2004, 16:44
The Will, thanks for the article. I'd read "In the Shadow of Denali" a few years ago, but never realized Guy took his own life as well.

For this kind of exit, come here. We have tons of crevasses you could walk in and never come out, despite lengthy searches. To avoid searches, leave a letter saying you're taking your last walk but with no destination referred to, and then take the Greyhound bus, paying with cash.

Or, go over to the Himalayas and do a one-way ascent or trek of any number of peaks there. From what I've read, they leave the bodies at high altitude. It's too dangerous and costly to retrieve them.