PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrated Veggies Help

chefbrian1
05-24-2009, 23:16
Hi gang,

I have been going dehydrator crazy the last couple of day in preparation for my pearisburg to harpers trek. This is the first time I have dried my own trail for a hike and I am really excited for some good eats on the trail.

The problem is that now that I have my veggies (peppers, broccoli, shredded potato, pea, carrots, onion, white and black beans, and a number of sauce leather (salsa, pizza sauce, and curries), I am not sure how to cook with them. For example, how much dried peas make a serving with pasta?

and how long does dried chicken or veggies like broccoli, corn, carrot or dried beans take to re-hydrate.

what veggies can go right into the mac n cheese and what needs to be pre-soaked and for how long and how much water.

And how much do these veggies expand?

Any thoughts, wisdom, expert advise is much appreciated

Thanks

Chef Brian

Pedaling Fool
05-25-2009, 08:21
The problem is that now that I have my veggies (peppers, broccoli, shredded potato, pea, carrots, onion, white and black beans, and a number of sauce leather (salsa, pizza sauce, and curries), I am not sure how to cook with them. For example, how much dried peas make a serving with pasta? It's a personal judgement call, most of which is based on experience. I always threw in a moderate handful of various veggies into my rice stew. One thing to remember is when you first start your hike, you will feel very hungry, but you will not (at least me) be able to eat so much. Another thing to remember is when you do get your appetite you still can't eat much more, because you must ration it. Best to use this hike as trial and error.

and how long does dried chicken or veggies like broccoli, corn, carrot or dried beans take to re-hydrate. Not long, I never presoak, I just throw into water that I'm boiling for my rice - I add the dehydrated food stuff in the beginning, not after the water starts boiling. (DISCLAIMER: I've never dehydrated beans, but I've done everything else).

what veggies can go right into the mac n cheese and what needs to be pre-soaked and for how long and how much water. I would throw the veggies into the water that you boil for the mac 'n cheese. However, I don't like the idea of draining water that had veggies, just seems like you're throwing out something good in that water. I always ate rice stew, because it was easier to make than boiling away all the water (especially for cleaning).

And how much do these veggies expand? Only a little, they will never get back to their original size, probably expand about 33%.

sarbar
05-25-2009, 10:19
What I have found over the years:

If you are doing a one pot meal, put your veggies and/or meat in with the cool water, bring to a boil, add in your pasta and cook as directed. Everything will be done.
If you are unsure, well, then let your dried items soak in the pot for an extra 15 minutes before bringing to a boil :)

On the whole retaining veggie power from soaking? Well...you can always presoak the veggies/meat in cool water in a bag or cup, then add into your meal. Give 30 minutes for that.

As for how much? 1/4 cup veggies dried per person is plenty, for some people that will be too much. I often will do 1 Tbsp of one type, 1 Tbsp of another veggie, etc to get a combo of flavors!

As for how big they get after rehydrating? Well, that depends - it depends on how big your veggies were cut (bigger taking longer!) and how long you soak them. You can double back the size with plenty of soaking time.

As for how much water for soaking? Books will call for 2 parts water to 1 part veggie, you really only need 1:1, that way you are not draining off the flavor/vitamins with extra water.

hoz
05-25-2009, 11:18
I hate using recipes and prefer to add ingredients by sight and experience. If a palm full of dehydrated peas look proportionate to the meal it probably is. I add salt, pepper, garlic to taste.

If you want specific recipes the Backpacking Chef has many on his website.

http://www.backpackingchef.com/backpacking-recipes.html