PDA

View Full Version : Base Layer

Speakeasy
05-25-2009, 08:25
Hi - Just looking for a good base layer and asking for quick opinions (figured it's been asked a thousand times) :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Speakeasy

bigcranky
05-25-2009, 08:46
Fabric or brand? Price range?

Synthetics are good: Patagonia Capilene ($$$$), various house brands from REI, LL Bean, etc. Any outfitter will have a wide selection, and most backpacking clothing manufacturers produce good base layers. For actual hiking, I would buy the lightest weight base layer I could find.

In the last few years several companies have introduced lightweight merino wool base layers. I've switched to wool for almost everything, but it's expensive. Icebreaker, Ibex, and Smartwool are the brands, with Icebreaker being my personal preference. I have their lightest weight long sleeve top and bottom, boxer briefs, and a couple of short sleeve tops. The s/s tops are great even in the summer. The biggest advantage to wool is that it never starts to stink.

Speakeasy
05-25-2009, 13:28
Well, now I know where my thread was moved to. I'm Sorry Everyone!!

amac
05-25-2009, 17:34
I've read lot's of positive comments on merino wool, and as soon as I can afford it, I'll be switching out my synthetics for it. But, in the mean time, I use and highly recommend WalMart's brand, I think they are branded Athletic Works. Around $10 for a long-sleeve lightweight top. It's pretty much the same stuff as UnderArmour.

verber
05-25-2009, 23:23
There are lots of good options. I am partial to powerdry. Some of Patagonia Capiline weights is using a version of powerdry as is the US military in the base of the protective combat uniform. Some people like wool. Coolmax is pretty good and tends to be inexpensive. More thoughts on my recommended clothing, base layer page (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/mark/My%20Documents/My%20Dropbox/verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/clothing.html#BaseTorso).
(http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?mv_session_id=KX9PCLvn&mv_pc=88&forum_thread_id=667&disable_pagination=1)

Tinker
05-25-2009, 23:42
I've just tried Marino wool for the first time as a base layer. I used to wear it all the time for bicycling back in the 1970s. I'd forgotten how well it wicks and how comfortable it is in cold weather under other layers and warm weather by itself. I've been using polyester for years but, depending on the weave, weight, and chemical treatments, I've found it hotter than a comparable weight of wool in the warmer months and clammier as an undergarment in cooler months. Since polyester is naturally hydrophobic it needs special weaves and treatments to make it wick well. Cheap polyester garments I've bought at dollar stores don't compete with those made for hiking. Polypropylene is lighter than polyester, and dries quicker, but melts easily in a clothes dryer and holds stink like nobody's business!

ChinMusic
05-26-2009, 00:03
I only use merino wool tops (Icebreaker). IMO, none of the other materials come close. The temperature range for which they handle is large. When wet they retain warmth very well. They do dry slower than synthetics but I have not found this to be an issue.

If it matters, you can wear a T for weeks and weeks and it won't stink. I kept one in my gym bag to use for workouts for several months with no noticeable odor.

JAK
05-26-2009, 09:32
I think baselayer is a misnomer because it implies that it is always worn. I like the term skin-layer, because they spend most of the time in the pack. I put them on in camp, or when hiking on cold mornings or into cold evenings. For me its more of an extra layer than a foundation layer. Most of the time I hike in a loose wool sweater, and shorts. In summer its a light loose knit sweater, preferably light in colour. In spring/fall its a medium sweater. In winter it might be heavy, or it might still be the medium sweater to allow a fleece oversweater with a hood. Skin layers vary in weight, depending on the season. I think wool and silk and synthetic all have their place, and its easier to find a good cheap mix of different weights by being open to all three.

The elastic waist on skin layer bottoms seems to vary alot more in quality and comfort and durability than whether the material is wool, silk, or synthetic.

Speakeasy
05-26-2009, 17:30
Thanks for all the input.! I've been searching the threads for additional comments and have found a wealth of information. I'm thinking merino wool... just can't wait to hit the trail:banana

Speakeasy

Wags
05-26-2009, 19:10
go with merino for your cold gear base layers (ie, thicker weights). synthetics will dry out a heck of a lot faster than merino and all your clothes will stink after a day anyway, regardless of material. under armour and all the variations of it do well

Brushy Sage
05-26-2009, 19:25
Patagonia Capilene gets my vote.

Mocs123
05-26-2009, 20:03
In the winter I prefer wool. I have both lightweight Smartwool and midweight Ibex layers that I am happy with. I also use lightweight Capaline long sleeve shirts , but I don't like the fit of the short sleeved Capaline, so in the Summer, I like Mountain Hardwear Wicked T's. I have tried Under Armor and REI shirts, but I either don't like the fabric or the fit.

ChinMusic
05-26-2009, 21:46
.... and all your clothes will stink after a day anyway, regardless of material. .
I find this to be untrue. I cannot make my merino wool clothes stink no matter what.

BitBucket
05-26-2009, 22:05
Icebreaker's my favorite...watch Steep and Cheap...i've found Bodyfit 200's and 260's for under $40 from time to time...

Wags
05-26-2009, 22:16
I find this to be untrue. I cannot make my merino wool clothes stink no matter what.

and i find your statement to be untrue in my case. when soaked they smell like a wet dog (or i do). they take a day longer to really smell than UA or other synthetics, but anything longer than a full day and night, the next day they stink. for me at least. ymmv

ChinMusic
05-26-2009, 22:20
MY mileage def does vary. I did an "experiment" where I didn't wash an Icebreaker T for months and it still had no odor. My synthetics stink after an hour.

I can't even make my merino wool socks stink and as an added bonus the SHOES don't stink either when I wear merino wool socks (which is ALL the time now).

Wags
05-26-2009, 23:48
alrighty then. agree to disagree

Downhill Trucker
06-01-2009, 15:31
Merino wool for me. I have Icebreaker and Minus 33 stuff. The minus33 stuff is way cheaper. For leg layers I stick with synthetics.

Lyle
06-01-2009, 16:35
This past fall I purchased some Terramar Thermawool and Thermasilk base layers. I use the Thermawool for cold weather insulation, Thermasilk as a sleep layer. Very happy on both counts. Will be buying more soon. These are not ridiculously expensive. I got them on sale at Campmore.

One note, the Thermasilk runs a bit small. I normally wear a large, but will go with XL next time. The Thermawool seemed normal sized.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/SubCategory___40000000228_200368702?002=2176235&004=437010184&005=4989323404&006=1052758984&007=Search&008=

Scroll through the pages to see all that is offered.

amac
07-10-2009, 06:02
This past fall I purchased some Terramar Thermawool and Thermasilk base layers. I use the Thermawool for cold weather insulation, Thermasilk as a sleep layer. Very happy on both counts. Will be buying more soon. These are not ridiculously expensive. I got them on sale at Campmore.

One note, the Thermasilk runs a bit small. I normally wear a large, but will go with XL next time. The Thermawool seemed normal sized.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/SubCategory___40000000228_200368702?002=2176235&004=437010184&005=4989323404&006=1052758984&007=Search&008=

Scroll through the pages to see all that is offered.

Lyle,
How much does that thermawool weigh?

JimM
07-10-2009, 08:48
Merino wool for me. I have Icebreaker and Minus 33 stuff. The minus33 stuff is way cheaper. For leg layers I stick with synthetics.
How does minus33 compare to icebreaker and smartwool for fit and finish?

Summit
07-10-2009, 09:34
For base layer in cool/cold weather, I start with this:

http://www.rei.com/product/778291

Next comes a full front zipper (ventilation options) 200 fleece jacket. If I need more, I add either my Marmot Precip shell or another pull-over fleece. If REALLY cold, I add both.

For the lower torso, I start with polypropylene long underwear, and add Marmot Precip pants.

In camp, if I've got all of that on and start getting cold, it's time for the tent and sleeping bag. I've been comfortable down into the low teens with this setup.

Downhill Trucker
07-13-2009, 06:21
How does minus33 compare to icebreaker and smartwool for fit and finish?

It's not quite as good on fit and finish, but it's just clothes. Its still highly functional and the wool works.

My current baselayer setup: Icebreaker tee, Minus 33 zip longsleeve top, Terramar synthetic long bottoms, Ex-officio boxer shorts. I've tried a lot of stuff and I wouldnt chane one thing in my current system.