PDA

View Full Version : Summer Sleepwear

Monkeywrench
05-25-2009, 13:17
Now that the weather is getting hot (though we had some REAL chilly nights last week!), I am trying to figure out what to wear to bed at night. I'd like to be able to wear some kind of long-sleeved top, and maybe even long bottoms, in order to keep my sleeping bag clean, but something that is cool enough too wear on a hot night. Silk, maybe? Anybody have any suggestions?

Foyt20
05-25-2009, 15:00
Boxers. THe only way to go :D

DAJA
05-25-2009, 15:12
Sleep and your body's habits toward it is a tricky thing.. The eggheads that study this stuff suggest you wear what you would normally wear at home to bed. Also that you should make every effort to maintain your normal sleep schedule.

I generally sleep either nude or in boxers, and do the same on the trail.. I understand your concern for wanting to wear something that keeps your bag a little cleaner, longer. Might want to try a liner.. Some swear by them, I tryed one once and felt I was slowly being squeezed to death all night as it twisted tighter and tighter around me as the night wore on... By morning I felt I had been swallowed by a very large snake... I just toss my bag (both down and synthetic) in my washer and dryer after each trip..

Monkeywrench
05-25-2009, 16:22
Sleep and your body's habits toward it is a tricky thing.. The eggheads that study this stuff suggest you wear what you would normally wear at home to bed. Also that you should make every effort to maintain your normal sleep schedule.

I generally sleep either nude or in boxers, and do the same on the trail.. I understand your concern for wanting to wear something that keeps your bag a little cleaner, longer. Might want to try a liner.. Some swear by them, I tryed one once and felt I was slowly being squeezed to death all night as it twisted tighter and tighter around me as the night wore on... By morning I felt I had been swallowed by a very large snake... I just toss my bag (both down and synthetic) in my washer and dryer after each trip..

I guess I should have elaborated a bit more. I am currently on a short break from my thru-hike (grandson #2 was born 2 days ago!). Since I'll be sleeping in my bag pretty much every night for another 3 - 4 months, I do everything I can to try to keep it clean. Most evenings I manage to wash my hair and take a bandanna bath, but I still get dirty and sticky. Since the weather has been either cool or cold so far, wearing light-weight polypro longs has been no problem. But now the hot weather is starting and I am hoping to find something cooler than polypro to wear at night. Maybe I am hoping for the impossible.

boarstone
05-25-2009, 17:01
with the exception in Maine/N.H./VT. cooler spring/fall conditions will call for leggings/ls shirts for night temps and something for a.m./p.m. conditons for temps in the 30's. until a.m. hot liquids are ingested....and you are under way on trail to warm up..

Seeker
05-25-2009, 17:21
after a few attempts at going 'all synthetic', i'm back to using cotton for a few things... sleeping is one of them. one of my summer luxuries is a small cotton sheet... keeps me from sticking to my bag in the relentless LA humidity. also bring a cotton t-shirt for the same reason... definitely worth their weight to me.

gregor
05-25-2009, 18:35
I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I've recently switched over to a quilt for summer + sleeping. The thing i'm trying to figure out is skin agains a closed cell sleeping pad, or maybe a neoair. Just doesn't feel great, sticky, sweaty. Maybe i'll fashion some kind of sleeve for the sleeping pad, but i'd rather not carry the extra weight. Maybe silkweight long underwear, but when it's gonna be 70+ at night that's gonna probably be too much. Guess i'll try it out and see what happens

beas
05-25-2009, 19:07
How about hospital scrubs light weight and cheap if you can find some one that might have some.
BEAS

Seeker
05-26-2009, 07:48
I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I've recently switched over to a quilt for summer + sleeping. The thing i'm trying to figure out is skin agains a closed cell sleeping pad, or maybe a neoair. Just doesn't feel great, sticky, sweaty. Maybe i'll fashion some kind of sleeve for the sleeping pad, but i'd rather not carry the extra weight. Maybe silkweight long underwear, but when it's gonna be 70+ at night that's gonna probably be too much. Guess i'll try it out and see what happens

you'd be surprised how cold 70 feels at night when you get used to the 95 that comes with it during the day... there's almost always a 20-25 degree temp change day/night. there was another thread earlier about the need (or not) for a pad in a hammock during the summer... i always use something... can't stand a cool breeze on my back while sleeping... not sure silk would do it for me either, as far as making me not stick to my bag

Wags
05-26-2009, 19:13
i sleep in a hammock, so it's cooler than a tent. but my sleep clothes consist of a lightweight long sleeve merino top (keeps the mosquitos and gnats at bay, which are worse than the heat imo) and my board shorts i use during the day for hiking in. sometimes i wear a paper thin pair of nylon socks to bed.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-26-2009, 19:26
I sleep in the Buff in the summer, spring, and fall and have a pair of Army issue polyester long Johns (top and bottom) that I wear when it is too cold to go buff

Marta
05-26-2009, 20:39
I wear silkweight long johns and thin socks. It's easier to wash them than to wash my sleeping bag.

Blissful
05-26-2009, 20:53
I wore a thin long sleeve polypro shirt and thin microfleece pants, unless it was really hot. Then no pants and used the silk liner.

Wise Old Owl
05-26-2009, 21:20
How about hospital scrubs light weight and cheap if you can find some one that might have some.
BEAS

I like that idea - I went a different way, there were lots of old bed sheets that were lying around and I sewed it into a fitted mummy shape and I use it to absorb body sweat to avoid washing the down bag too much, very comfy, washable, and disposable.