PDA

View Full Version : Yes to liner socks

Mrs Baggins
05-25-2009, 16:38
We just spent 4 days at Grayson Highlands State Park in southern VA. We did the 8 mile round trip to summit Mt. Rogers on Friday and for whatever reason I had just flat forgotten to wear my liner socks. I didn't think about it until we got back to camp and I took off my boots and socks - to find a big fat blister under my left big toe and, a few moments later, my left little toe nail fell off. Just dropped right off. Sunday we did 6 more miles on various trails and I wore my liner socks - - no blisters, no toe nail problems, far more comfy in my boots. I always wear merino wool socks as my hiking socks and very fine merino wool liner socks. I'll never forget to wear the liners again.........in two months I have to have a pedicure for my daughter's wedding and now I'm missing a toe nail :(.......

Foyt20
05-25-2009, 16:51
Sorry to hear that Mrs. B.

Nean
05-25-2009, 17:08
liner w/o the socks can be a solution for some as well. less sweat/ better wicking and more room in shoes/boots that seem to shrink!;)

Mrs Baggins
05-25-2009, 18:40
liner w/o the socks can be a solution for some as well. less sweat/ better wicking and more room in shoes/boots that seem to shrink!;)

Quite possibly. For me, I have to wear my regular socks and my liners. I did notice that without my liners my feet seemed to sort of "swim" around in my boots. With both pairs of socks I felt nice and "tight" in my boots.

Nean
05-25-2009, 18:48
Quite possibly. For me, I have to wear my regular socks and my liners. I did notice that without my liners my feet seemed to sort of "swim" around in my boots. With both pairs of socks I felt nice and "tight" in my boots.
It does sound like you have found what works for you.:) Others may consider thinkin outside the sock if they are tryin to dial in some new shoes or trailfeet.;)

Mrs Baggins
05-25-2009, 18:56
It does sound like you have found what works for you.:) Others may consider thinkin outside the sock if they are tryin to dial in some new shoes or trailfeet.;)

Yep. No desire to impose my opinion on others. Just saying that for me liners under my wool socks is the way to go = no blisters and no toe nails falling off. Everyone has different experiences and they have to do what's right for them. For those that are just starting out and are on the fence about whether or not to wear both types of socks I'm just saying that liners with my wool socks work really well for me. :D

Nean
05-25-2009, 19:12
Hope you heal quick! :) Those toenails can be funny though; I had one grow back all twisted looking.:eek: Some share, some impose and some of us just don't have a clue...
hope my suggestion didn't offend you

Mrs Baggins
05-25-2009, 19:23
Hope you heal quick! :) Those toenails can be funny though; I had one grow back all twisted looking.:eek: Some share, some impose and some of us just don't have a clue...
hope my suggestion didn't offend you

Absolutely not! One other time, in 2003, I hiked without liner socks. I not only got blisters on both heels, I had both big toe nails and both little toe nails turn black and eventually fall off. :eek: It took from July to December to get my toe nails to grow back. Right now I'm just heart sick over what my daughter's reaction will be when she finds out I'm missing a toe nail and won't have her vision of the perfect "mother of the bride" appearance.........might mean nothing to many on this site but it's going to mean a lot to me and to her. She already knows she has a "crazy hiker mom" but I may have crossed a line now............

Nean
05-25-2009, 19:38
Absolutely not! One other time, in 2003, I hiked without liner socks. I not only got blisters on both heels, I had both big toe nails and both little toe nails turn black and eventually fall off. :eek: It took from July to December to get my toe nails to grow back. Right now I'm just heart sick over what my daughter's reaction will be when she finds out I'm missing a toe nail and won't have her vision of the perfect "mother of the bride" appearance.........might mean nothing to many on this site but it's going to mean a lot to me and to her. She already knows she has a "crazy hiker mom" but I may have crossed a line now............
maybe you can glue a fake one on for the wedding!:)

MDhiker1967
05-25-2009, 19:41
I swear by liner socks... I forgot to weat them in RMNP on a 15 mile hike... never again...
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=33803&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=18538&cutoffdate=-1]http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/5/3/8/cimg0570_thumb.jpg[/url]

daddytwosticks
05-25-2009, 19:41
I like sock liners too...like them so much, I wear two pair of liners in my hiking shoes. :)

Snowleopard
05-25-2009, 20:04
I swear by liner socks... I forgot to weat them in RMNP on a 15 mile hike... never again...
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=33803&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=18538&cutoffdate=-1] (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=33803&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=18538&cutoffdate=-1%5D)http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/5/3/8/cimg0570_thumb.jpg[/url]
MDHiker, It looks like your foot fell off in this photo. Were they able to reattach it??:confused:

Cookerhiker
05-25-2009, 20:05
I wear liners for all hikes over 5 miles and they've saved my feet; I haven't had a serious blister problem since I began using them.

So a few months ago, I was in Campmoor and decided to pick up another pair of liners. Not 'till I got home 300 miles later did I discover I bought too small a size. I'll bring them to the next hiker swap meet wherever it may be.

MDhiker1967
05-25-2009, 20:07
LOL.. it was all good... both feet were atached at the end of the day ..:banana

Tinker
05-25-2009, 23:56
I found that, for me, liner socks slide around inside my wool socks, actually causing my toes to bang into the front of my boots (I'm talking way back in the '90s). I used polypro liners by Wigwam inside Ragg wool socks. Now I use Smartwool or similar socks, no liners, trail runners, no problems.
Experiment and use what works for you.
Mrs Baggins likes liners.
I don't.

Tinker
05-26-2009, 00:00
Thicker socks can tighten up a pair of shoes or boots, too. I usually hike with one thick and one thin pair, starting with the thick ones. When my feet swell up I switch to the thinner pair.

Nean
05-26-2009, 00:23
Thicker socks can tighten up a pair of shoes or boots, too. I usually hike with one thick and one thin pair, starting with the thick ones. When my feet swell up I switch to the thinner pair.
That works for me too. Liners make a great thinner (thinner, thinner?) pair, btw. Over a long haul feet change and if your shoes don't it may pay to consider other options. Blisters are caused by heat and/ or friction which is caused by footwear either being to loose, but more likely, too tight.

Hotrod
05-26-2009, 22:22
That works for me too. Liners make a great thinner (thinner, thinner?) pair, btw. Over a long haul feet change and if your shoes don't it may pay to consider other options. Blisters are caused by heat and/ or friction which is caused by footwear either being to loose, but more likely, too tight.

That's what I was thinking. Sounds to me that you need some footwear that fit better, with more toe room. A toe nail failing off in 8 miles? I would make another trip to an outfitter.

Tinker
05-26-2009, 22:42
This would probably be a good place for me to pitch my idea that lightweight footwear with flexible, stretchy uppers are kinder to feet than stiff leather. I used to get blisters almost every hike from the 1970s through the late 1990s when I switched to lighter low topped footwear. Sure, they don't last as long, sure they don't protect as well against stubs and sharp rocks underfoot, but being lighter, they're easier to lift with every step and easier to change directions when you realize that you need to change the intended footplant in mid-stride, and they breathe much better than all leather footwear, especially boots, leaving socks drier which minimizes the possibility of blisters. Lightweight footwear for me except in snow. Waterproof socks make wet weather bearable. End of rant. :)

turtle fast
05-27-2009, 00:23
My wife and I hiked from Springer to Harpers Ferry last year using Fox River x-static liner socks. We each had 2 pair for the hike and we did not get ANY blisters. When we started our feet were tender and my boots were barely broken in (my wifes Racheles were well broken in) as my old boots had blown out. The silver impregnated fibres I believe did help control odor. I have used the cheaper polypropolyne liners before and after 1 day would smell and retain the stink even after washing. These by Fox River are not cheap at 8.99 per pair from Campmor, but I saw way to many thru hike attempts stopped by blistered feet.

amac
05-27-2009, 06:30
Has anyone used nylon stockings as liners (I think the short ones are called ankle-highs)? They're the right material, and as lightweight as you're gonna get.

Mrs Baggins
05-27-2009, 07:26
That's what I was thinking. Sounds to me that you need some footwear that fit better, with more toe room. A toe nail failing off in 8 miles? I would make another trip to an outfitter.

I've always worn leather Hi-Tec Altitude IV boots. Twice since 2002 I've gotten blisters and had toe nail problems and both times I didn't wear liner socks. I have Merrill light hikers (low cut) as well but I cannot wear them for anything more than walking on sidewalks. They just irritate my ankles and don't support my feet and ankles well enough.

Blissful
05-27-2009, 10:37
I don't need liners in my trail runners. My socks work fine by themsevles.

That said, I do have two pair of Bridgedale silver liners, fits up to womens size 10 I wouldn't mind selling to someone. One pair was worn once, the other is new. :) PM me.