PDA

View Full Version : An overall assessment-PA rocks.

MedicineMan
05-25-2009, 20:35
As a section hiker it took me three trips to complete the AT in PA....
We've all heard the rumors concerning the rocks....now I've lived them.
From Pen-Mar to 36 miles south of Port Clinton the 'rock gardens' are just like those found in GA,NC,TN,VA,Md,WVa.
From 36 miles south of Port Clinton rock gardens increase in intensity, the gardens often become heavily fertilized and rarely manicured; but always will you find relief with the trail giving you an easy smooth boulevard after a garden of rock.
Each rock garden will be different-some last 100 yards, some last up to a mile. Each garden seems to specialize in different types of rocks....in one small section north of Port Clinton and south of the Allentown Shelter were these 'cobbles'-fist sized rocks that quivered and rattled with each step, in other places you'll find a river of pineapple size rocks to dance with, elsewhere you'll find large slabs to hop about on, in others you'll find sharp spikey rock pointing out of the ground at a hellish angle for boot and ankle. Speaking of the Allentown shelter; there is a significant rock garden immediately south of the shelter that is at least 3/4 miles long; but as mentioned before, if NoBo, once you get to the shelter the next 2 miles seem like a smooth boulevard.
There is one major exception to this alternating pattern of 'good cop bad cop' and it is found immediately south of Wolf Rocks (or about 7 miles south of the Del. Water Gap. This section is a 7 mile long rock garden with essentially little smooth ground. There were times during this section when I found it quite incredible that a human can actually walk through this-and at about the same time I'm thinking this a young thru-hiker zips by doing 20-25 miles a day (and one of them complaining of severe pain at the tendon attachment point of his medial malleous).
Something else I noticed when crossing the PA portion of the AT, with the exceptions of Lehigh Gap and Little Gap, the climbs or drops from the ridges (where all the rock gardens are) are usually rock free (free as in you having to watch every step). The Lehigh Gap climb was the closest thing I've experienced to our climb up the Abol Slide on Katahdin and going up Lehigh there were only two places where I couldn't use my poles.....again after this climb you will be reward with an almost two mile boulevard-this time in grass, thanks to a major re-route.
My third and final section hike in PA was 113 miles, the weather was cool and no rock garden compared to the previous section hike which found us crossing the Cumberland Valley from Boiling Springs in 95 degree air.
There is no doubt that PA was completely different than the southern states I've hiked it but having done PA I would not miss it at all. I've heard people recommend PA be skipped--don't do it, there are so many rewards in this state.
Physical challenge versus mental challenge.
There are no huge climbs in PA-no Three Ridges, no Priest, no Roan, no 5 miler out of Wesser. The challenges with the rock I found to be completely mental. If you start seeing the rock as a dance partner---make that a slow waltz for me---it's no problem.

Ridge Rat
05-25-2009, 20:46
Wow, Great synopsis of my home state... I dance across the rocks quite regularly as its a close drive. Whenever I do sections down south people always grumble about PA, but it's not really that bad and like you said, its flat... Cant say I could have ever said it better in the way you broke it down

MedicineMan
05-25-2009, 20:50
the PA AT:
'only the penitent man may pass' :)

fredmugs
05-25-2009, 21:01
I hate rocks - therefore I hate PA. The first time I hiked in PA I had blisters between all of my toes (not mental). You should also mention that the suckiness of PA continues for another 40 miles to High Point, NJ. Give me a huge climb over a boulder field anyday.

Chaco Taco
05-25-2009, 21:22
"the Power Of Christ Compels You, The Power Of Christ Compels You"

elray
05-25-2009, 21:55
I also sectioned Pa. in three hikes and very much appreciated the not so severe changes in elevation. I don't have anything nice to add about the rocks but did meet some interesting people while there and those are the experiences I most remember about the Trail. I was treated very well in the towns of Boiling Springs and Duncannon and had the great fortune to meet Bag O' Tricks at the hiker pavilion in Port Clinton. We had a dependable shuttle guy out of Carlisle by the name of Michael Galinas and I wouldn't trade my stays at "The Doyle" for love or money. Saw my first porcupine there and my first rattlesnake, what's not to like!!

Bearpaw
05-25-2009, 22:01
Pennsylvania's rocks are among the most brutal on the trail.

Pennsylvania's people are among the friendliest on the trail.

More than balances out.

stranger
05-25-2009, 22:13
People complain about the rocks because there ain't much else to complain about. You walk through 4 towns, are very close to others, terrain is relatively easy, parts are very beautiful, great all around state. I've been through PA twice, and although the rocks are an issue from Port Clinton to DWG, it's no drama.

Most people (not all) who talk about the "horrible" rocks of PA and the "killer" rollercoaster in northern VA have never been through those secitions in my experience.

Yahtzee
05-25-2009, 22:27
Nice synopsis, MedicineMan.

I subscribe to the theory that PA's rap is as bad as it is because the worst of it is at the very end of the state (for NOBO's) who then get to ruminate on the rocks while recovering at DWG. I wonder if SOBO's have as negative a feeling towards PA? Would seem they end PA with a beautiful stretch of miles.

SOBOS, how do you feel about PA?

buff_jeff
05-25-2009, 22:47
My first section hike on the AT, and first backpacking trip ever, was Delaware Water Gap to Port Clinton. Needless to say, I got the worst impression of hiking ever...assumed the whole trail was like that. Of course, it's a nice section to go back to now.

Bilko
05-25-2009, 23:04
I start this Saturday (May 30) for my section hike from Port Clinton to CT. So far PA has been kind to me. I few rock rivers. OK, more than a few. Don't know how people with bad ankles or knees can survive. I guess with a lot of Aleve. I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Anybody out there give me a lift from Reading, PA to the trail on Saturday afternoon? Or give me some information on how to best get to the trail from Reading. I'm catching a bus into Reading on Saturday. Thanks.

emerald
05-25-2009, 23:17
Anybody out there give me a lift from Reading, PA to the trail on Saturday afternoon? Or give me some information on how to best get to the trail from Reading. I'm catching a bus into Reading on Saturday. Thanks.

It might be easiest were you to simply walk to BARTA Transportation Center and hop on a bus to Cabela's. I'm not certain when the last bus leaves Reading on Saturdays.

I posted the information before and will be happy to locate it for you. Be right back.

Blissful
05-25-2009, 23:19
Actually, PA's people rock....

Except the postmistress at Port Clinton. She needs a box of chocolates.

emerald
05-25-2009, 23:25
Berks and Reading Transportation Authority (http://www.bartabus.com) (BARTA) buses depart from BARTA's Transportation Center (BTC) at 1700 N 11th Street and arrive at Cabela's 55 minutes later. BARTA is likely the quickest and easiest way to get from Reading to the AT at Schuylkill Gap south of Port Clinton.

BARTA Route 20 map and schedule (http://www.bartabus.com/Schedules/New%20BARTA/2007/September/BARTA-Rt20_9_07.pdf)

It will be necessary to walk or take a cab from Reading's Inter-City Bus Terminal at [N] 3rd and Court Streets to BARTA's Transportation Center.

Enroute to BARTA's Transportation Center, fussgangers (walkers) can expect views of Mt. Penn, The Pagoda, William Penn Memorial Fire Tower and Neversink Mountain. With a bit a luck, an observant fussganger may even see one of Reading's peregrine falcons.

Jeff
05-26-2009, 05:38
Southern half of PA also has some great shelters. Quarry Gap may be the best maintained shelter on the trail.

Cookerhiker
05-26-2009, 08:19
Good summary Medicine Man.

No, I don't like those rocky stretches in PA which begin in earnest after the ascent from Swatara Gap. But I wouldn't bad-mouth the state. PA is what, 230 miles, of which only a quarter is rocky. The brutal rock fields are even less. As I've said many times in other forums, I believe thruhikers bitch about the rocks because they're the only factor that slows you down since the elevation change is minimal. New England is just as rocky but you don't think about the rocks when you're ascending 2,000' in less than 2 miles.

PA is rewarding in Spring with the mountain laurel blooming and Fall with the colors. Ascending the east side of the Susquehana River is also cool when you can see the river from both sides of the trail from the ridgeline.

And it's not like other states don't have their obnoxious rocky areas. The 3+ miles north of Bailey Gap (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=92493) in Virginia was worse than any stretch of PA IMO.

fiddlehead
05-26-2009, 08:24
I feel lucky having grown up near Port Clinton, PA
I like the rocks.
Growing up and in the boy scouts, i thought that's how the whole trail was.

Now, when i'm hiking around other trails and above treeline, i prefer big boulder fields to scrub brush and postholing. (the snow on the rocks usually melts first)

Also, no need for a stand for your aluminum stove when hiking PA. 3 rocks work great.

Lone Wolf
05-26-2009, 08:49
PA is easy walkin'. what's all the fuss about rocks? no biggie

darkage
05-26-2009, 09:00

Exactly, born and raised ... only the weak willed complain.

ki0eh
05-26-2009, 09:43
If you like the rocks on the PA A.T., you're ready to move up to http://www.hike-mst.org/ :D

darkage
05-26-2009, 09:54
If you like the rocks on the PA A.T., you're ready to move up to http://www.hike-mst.org/ :D

Haven't yet done it, but its in the plans ... i've heard a thing or two .... ;)

Just a Hiker
05-26-2009, 10:06
I've never really had a problem with PA and it's rocks.......it's sort of a trade-off I guess. The towns and their residents along the trail in PA are very interesting, the food is good, and alot of the shelters are unique and different than you normally see along the AT. Plus, Pennsylvania must have a wonderful and active Boy Scout Counsel because I always run into Boy Scouts camping and hiking in PA!

darkage
05-26-2009, 10:10
Nope, they add agility and keep you young .... walking a well paved path the whole time would be boring .... More rugged, the more i enjoy myself ....

fredmugs
05-26-2009, 10:49
I did hike PA SOBO and it was one of my first section hikes so maybe, just maybe, it tore me up because I went too hard.

My problem with rocks stems from the fact that they tend to cause pain in the balls of my feet. I did a SOBO section from the 501 shelter to Harpers Ferry. When I got to my car I could not put my feet in my tennis shoes even after I removed the laces.
People in PA are great for sure. The old lady at the Ironmasters Hostel was wonderful. The cheesesteak, monster pile of fries, and Yuengling at the Doyle is one of the best meals I've had on the trail.

Can't comment on the shelters since I never slept in any of them. I did see my first rattlesnake in PA and that was awesome.

Rocks are my weakness. I'll take the climb out of the NOC (cake), The Priest (tough but not that bad), etc. any day before a flat stretch of rocks.

gravityman
05-26-2009, 12:42
It didn't seem like the rocks really let up after PA. Seemed pretty constant from mid-PA north to us...

Cookerhiker
05-26-2009, 12:48
It didn't seem like the rocks really let up after PA. Seemed pretty constant from mid-PA north to us...

Perhaps my memory is playing tricks but the only part of NJ where I felt the rocks were a nuisance was around Sunfish Pond. But the serenity of the pond makes it worthwhile - at least it was serene when I was there.

From about the NY/NJ line to the Hudson River, the rocks are plentiful -not the narrow sharp pointy type like PA but the fun boulder-scramble type.

1azarus
05-26-2009, 12:50
very few people know that the AT in PA is actually a 1/10000 scale model of all of the world's great mountain ranges, and was carefully assembled by a secret society. Please don't move any of the rocks.

Lone Wolf
05-26-2009, 12:52
just like that so-called roller coaster in Va. the rocks of Pa. are way overrated

darkage
05-26-2009, 12:54
We got a big ole pile up at the pinnacle just north of port clinton ... we just haven't spread um out yet ... =P

I'm sure ya'll know the pile ...

emerald
05-26-2009, 15:05
Kittatinny Ridge also known locally as Blue Mountain may be the longest AT ridgewalk. Kittatinny is a Native American word meaning endless mountain. Through hikers who allow thoughts of rocks to fill their heads are sure to find it endless and they are apt to spoil what might otherwise be an outdoor adventure filled with natural wonders.

The AT once followed Blue Mountain from The Susquehanna to The Delaware and may follow the same ridge called by different names much of the way to New York, but the AT now picks it up just before Swatara Gap due to a relocation laid out many years ago by Earl Shaffer.

It was once thought Pennsylvania Railroad would grant permission for the AT to cross Rockville Bridge, the longest stone-arch bridge in the world, but this never came to pass. When Clarks Ferry Bridge was constructed, it made possible a solution to a long-standing issue.

Geologists know the rocks to which so many here lovingly refer as the Shawangunk Formation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawangunk_Formation).

Bilko
05-26-2009, 18:52
Emerald thanks for the information. I have re-thought my travel plans. My orginal plans where to ride Greyhound from Atlanta to Harrisburg and catch a bus over to Reading. I would have a four hour wait for the bus to Reading. Then catch a bus up to Cabelas. I would be getting there around 5:30PM.

My new plans are to ride to Harrisburg and catch a bus to Pottsville only an hour wait. I would be getting into Pottsville about 1:00 PM. Pottsville is about 16 miles from the trail. Do you have any suggestions on how to get to the AT from Pottsville? How easy is it to hitch out of that town to the trail?

emerald
05-26-2009, 19:01
I would think obtaining a ride to Port Clinton would not take long at all. Make a sign with PORT CLINTON on it in large letters.

Take a tour of D.G. Yuengling and Son and drink a porter beforehand. If the 1st person you ask in Pottsville can't provide directions, ask another.

Lemni Skate
05-26-2009, 19:11
I haven't been through any sections of trail with as long a run of rocks as there are in PA, but I usually don't mind rocks as the hopping seems to make me feel more coordinated. I'll find out what I think this summer (getting started in 13 days on Maryland/Pennsylvania).

Chaco Taco
05-26-2009, 19:42
I haven't been through any sections of trail with as long a run of rocks as there are in PA, but I usually don't mind rocks as the hopping seems to make me feel more coordinated. I'll find out what I think this summer (getting started in 13 days on Maryland/Pennsylvania).

Yep you will find out what its like hopping for the whole day, days on end, and just how coordinated you are.

Chaco Taco
05-26-2009, 19:43
I would think obtaining a ride to Port Clinton would not take long at all. Make a sign with PORT CLINTON on it in large letters.

Take a tour of D.G. Yuengling and Son and drink a porter beforehand. If the 1st person you ask in Pottsville can't provide directions, ask another.

Lots of hikers do it on their thru. Becoming quite the tradition.

saimyoji
05-26-2009, 19:56

rock hopping requires one special skill....a third eye...to watch for rattlers....i heard they released some 400 rattlers into the wild to boost populations not long ago....:eek:- as you hike by Conrad Weiser park, between PC and Hawk Mtn. Road (Eckville) you go right passed a rattlesnake protection area.

rainmaker
05-26-2009, 20:00
Pennsylvania's rocks are among the most brutal on the trail.

Pennsylvania's people are among the friendliest on the trail.

More than balances out.

I agree wholeheartedly. On our 2007 trip from HF to LeHigh Gap, Madame almost suffered a concussion when she slipped on a rock. She ended up looking like Rocky Raccoon for a week. So we did not much care for the rocks, but Bearpaw is right, Pennsylvania people are among the friendliest. We enjoyed our stay there.

emerald
05-26-2009, 20:07
Conrad Weiser park ...

I'm not so sure it would be a good idea for Friends of Conrad Weiser Homestead to release timber rattlesnakes on Conrad Weiser park, but they may want to fly "Don't tread on me" flags. I've heard it was USA's 1st flag.

The Tulpehocken settlement predates the United States of America. Don't get me started!

StarLyte
05-26-2009, 20:12
You're awesome Medicine Man. :sun

Hey isn't Ironmasters to Caledonia a rock-free 19 mile hike?

saimyoji
05-26-2009, 20:19
I'm not so sure it would be a good idea for Friends of Conrad Weiser Homestead to release timber rattlesnakes on Conrad Weiser park, but they may want to fly "Don't tread on me" flags. I've heard it was USA's 1st flag.

The Tulpehocken settlement predates the United States of America. Don't get me started!

i didn't say they were released there.....

saimyoji
05-26-2009, 20:25
- as you hike by Conrad Weiser park, between PC and Hawk Mtn. Road (Eckville) you go right passed a rattlesnake protection area.

Weiser State Forest....not the Homestead....but I think you know what I mean. Uploading a pic. of the sign now.....

Wise Old Owl
05-26-2009, 20:29
We got a big ole pile up at the pinnacle just north of port clinton ... we just haven't spread um out yet ... =P

I'm sure ya'll know the pile ...

And south of Port Clinton - are not waaaaaaaay overated.... You wish you had your boots and solid inserts!

saimyoji
05-26-2009, 20:32
And south of Port Clinton - are not waaaaaaaay overated.... You wish you had your boots and solid inserts!

Nuts. Sandals or trail runners are all you need.

emerald
05-26-2009, 20:35
I didn't say [rattlesnakes] were released at [Conrad Weiser Homestead].....

I know you didn't. It did strike me as an idea worthy of consideration until I rejected it.

I just Googled Berks Commissioners pledge support to save Conrad Weiser Homestead from state budget ax (http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=140347), a Reading Eagle article which will likely appear in tomorrow's Berks and Beyond (B section).

saimyoji
05-26-2009, 20:36
Weiser State Forest....not the Homestead....but I think you know what I mean. Uploading a pic. of the sign now.....
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=33832&c=520

Blissful
05-26-2009, 20:46
Actually the small rocks of PA got my feet hardy for the huge stuff farther north. Thanks, PA! :)

clured
05-26-2009, 20:47
Ye, I never understood all the PA-bashing. I honestly thought that it was the easiest state on the trail - every day has at least one 1-2 hour flat section that you can just coast through really fast. Loved it.

emerald
05-26-2009, 20:51
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=33832&c=520 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=33832&c=520)

I clicked on the links on the DCNR sign you posted. They don't work! You know, you really shouldn't post signs with bad links.;):D

emerald
05-27-2009, 23:53
The link at the sign's bottom appears below and is one I have posted before.

www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/wildlife/rattlesnakes.aspx (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/wildlife/rattlesnakes.aspx)

What's printed on the sign is consistent with my earlier posts, but it mentions new restrictions and points out fines may result. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania does take this issue seriously.

I'm wondering if the portion of WSF through which the AT passes is considered part of the Port Clinton tract? I will check on that issue and see if DCNR or FBC have added anything new to their websites related to rattlesnakes.

Where is the actual sign you photographed posted in realspace?

10-K
05-28-2009, 08:09
So, out of 200 or so miles of the AT in PA, what percentage is rock-walking?

10%? 25%? 50%? 100%? (!!!)

And about those rattlesnakes... In July, do you have to step over them all day or is it still pretty rare to see one?

Ridge Rat
05-28-2009, 08:46
about 60% of the state is rocky... Its not really rock scrambling or anything. It's more like little bastards that twist your ankles and wear out your feet than anything else. Like it was stated before PA really isnt as bad as the whiners like to make it out to be.

And about the timber rattlers, they are a super timid snake. Your chance of seeing them is rare and they aren't anywhere near as agressive as the copperheads. Even those are rare to see in PA

Just a Hiker
05-28-2009, 08:55
about 60% of the state is rocky... Its not really rock scrambling or anything. It's more like little bastards that twist your ankles and wear out your feet than anything else. Like it was stated before PA really isnt as bad as the whiners like to make it out to be.

And about the timber rattlers, they are a super timid snake. Your chance of seeing them is rare and they aren't anywhere near as agressive as the copperheads. Even those are rare to see in PA

That pretty well sums up Pennsylvania......yes, your feet will be sore at times, but you can soothe the pain with a pile of hand-cut frenchfries at one of Pennsylvania's great diners or restaurants along the trail....:)

Kanati
05-28-2009, 09:07
Good summary Medicine Man.

No, I don't like those rocky stretches in PA which begin in earnest after the ascent from Swatara Gap. But I wouldn't bad-mouth the state. PA is what, 230 miles, of which only a quarter is rocky. The brutal rock fields are even less. As I've said many times in other forums, I believe thruhikers bitch about the rocks because they're the only factor that slows you down since the elevation change is minimal. New England is just as rocky but you don't think about the rocks when you're ascending 2,000' in less than 2 miles.

PA is rewarding in Spring with the mountain laurel blooming and Fall with the colors. Ascending the east side of the Susquehana River is also cool when you can see the river from both sides of the trail from the ridgeline.

And it's not like other states don't have their obnoxious rocky areas. The 3+ miles north of Bailey Gap (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=92493) in Virginia was worse than any stretch of PA IMO.

MM, that was a very accurate description of PA's rocks. You have a great memory for detail. Thanks.

"ditto" Cookerhiker. I found some sections of PA to be testy at times, but overall it was kind to me. Sections like the Devils Racecourse had me doing the twist to land my feet between the pointed rocks however. And I do remember that the trail was much rockier north of Port Clinton than it was south of it. I took some pics of the large boulders, labeled them, PA's 'nicer rocks', and included them in my journal.

mrc237
05-28-2009, 09:31

The Trail is the Trail! Live with it!

Strategic
05-28-2009, 10:32
Berks and Reading Transportation Authority (http://www.bartabus.com) (BARTA) buses depart from BARTA's Transportation Center (BTC) at 1700 N 11th Street and arrive at Cabela's 55 minutes later. BARTA is likely the quickest and easiest way to get from Reading to the AT at Schuylkill Gap south of Port Clinton.

BARTA Route 20 map and schedule (http://www.bartabus.com/Schedules/New%20BARTA/2007/September/BARTA-Rt20_9_07.pdf)

It will be necessary to walk or take a cab from Reading's Inter-City Bus Terminal at [N] 3rd and Court Streets to BARTA's Transportation Center.

Enroute to BARTA's Transportation Center, fussgangers (walkers) can expect views of Mt. Penn, The Pagoda, William Penn Memorial Fire Tower and Neversink Mountain. With a bit a luck, an observant fussganger may even see one of Reading's peregrine falcons.

Excellent info emerald, many thanks for adding to the stock of public transit info for AT hikers. This is something we all should consider whenever possible, especially in the mid-Atlantic and New England states where public transit into more rural areas still exists. It's just a good idea all the way around: it helps the environment, keeps the trail communities we use connected to other places, keeps trailheads free of parked cars, and gets us (as recognizable hikers) into direct contact with lots of people we might otherwise not meet (and makes them aware of the trail and of us.) It's win-win for just about every aspect of the getting-to-the-trail problem.

What we really need is a public transit database for the AT that covers not only national or large-scale transit options, but also these small regional systems like BARTA. I've mentioned this idea before on WB, but haven't had time to do anything about it myself. I do have a wealth of this info myself from sectioning in PA, NJ and NY (all great states for using public transit) and though I've been able to pass some along in answer to specific questions it would be a great benefit to the community to get as much as can be found into one place where anyone could find it at any time.

Strategic
05-28-2009, 10:45
By the way, I love the rock dancing.;)

Seriously, though, the rocks really aren't that bad if you don't try to be too macho about them. You just have to learn the "PA-rockhop" and you're good to go.

They also make the climb out of Little Gap better than it would otherwise be. That's a really steep (though short) ascent and the maintainers (all praise and thanks to them) have done a fantastic job there using and tweaking the natural rockpiles into what amounts to a staircase right up the north side of the Gap.

We also should be much more kind to the maintainers in general for these PA sections; they really can't make them less rocky without bringing in earth-moving equipment and changing the landscape drastically (and thus ruining the very wilderness we all love.) The geology of PA's valley-and-ridge system north of the Susquehanna means that fractured rock piles and fields are a significant part of the terrain. Just no way to avoid them. So the next time you're dancing over a rockfield, don't curse our fine maintainers, just the ice age that gifted us with this particular geology.

emerald
05-28-2009, 13:31
Excellent info emerald, many thanks for adding to the stock of public transit info for AT hikers. This is something we all should consider whenever possible ...

I believe I mentioned before Bieber Tourways (http://www.biebertourways.com/) provides transportation from NYC and Philadelphia to Reading, Allentown and Bethlehem.

Oh, that Capitol Trailways bus from Harrisburg to Pottsville? It probably travels I81, I78 and PA61 right through Port Clinton.

We covered public transportation in Pennsylvania pretty thoroughly some time ago and much of what's scattered about here may be accessed directly by clicking on Getting to the Trail (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805499/k.547C/Getting_to_the_Trail.htm) which includes a link to Appalachian Trail Shuttles and Public Transportation (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BB8A229E6-1CDC-41B7-A615-2D5911950E45%7D/AT%20Shuttle%20List%20WEB%205-4-09.pdf).

Tenderheart
05-28-2009, 13:39
Pennsylvania is actually where the rocks begin going north-having something to do with the southern extremity of the glaciers in the Ice Age. I enjoyed the state very much. Cumberland Valley was a welcome change from mountain vistas. I had many, many good experiences in my thru, and a large portion occurred in this beautiful state. Lots of memories.

litefoot 2000

emerald
05-28-2009, 13:47
The Trail is the Trail! Live with it!

What does it mean to "flow" with the trail? (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=506114&postcount=1) If you want to read more than the opening post, click on the thread title in the upper right and add your own ideas if you wish.

Cannibal
05-28-2009, 14:05
Another one here that doesn't understand what the fuss is about. I was all paranoid going into PA about the rocks; even bought a new pair of boots in Harper's Ferry. I'm thrilled with the purchase because I got a great deal on some Vasques, but kind of a waste of time and money.

Yes, there are rocks. They are, however, nowhere near as bad as they are made out to be and few of the 'gardens' last for any real distance. PA was a cake-walk with good food.

10-K
05-28-2009, 15:46
PA was a cake-walk with good food.

That's what I like to hear... :)

I got the PA maps a few days ago - it doesn't look bad at all. Still, I don't know what itis about needing all those maps just to go 200 miles. 4 of the 5 PA maps are only printed on 1 side.

I'm stoked about hiking PA in July!

emerald
05-28-2009, 16:03
Sounds like you have up a good head of steam. To maintain it, you'll need plenty of water.

See Dry Conditions in Pennsylvania (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49622), especially #11 Berks water info for AT hikers (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=830932&postcount=11). Natural water sources are usually reliable until most northbound, calendar-year 2000 milers pass through. By the end of June, sometimes earlier, ridgetop springs may begin to dry up, even though July is usually our wettest month.

Conditions typically worsen by August and can take some planning ahead come late summer and early fall. It's not at all difficult to get through Pennsylvania without water caches if you know which water sources can be relied upon.

Hoop Time
05-28-2009, 22:44
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=33907&catid=member&imageuser=18234http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/2/3/4/mst-052709-6.jpg

Some of the MST's rocks.

darkage
05-28-2009, 22:48
Yeah, now thats FUN .... I'm planing on hiking the MST sometime this summer .... first, my 2 weeks in the south.

MedicineMan
05-28-2009, 22:50
in regards to the snakes.....I know it was only 2 weeks ago-mid May but it was often cold in the mornings-some mornings darn right chilly, so snakes being smarter than hikers staid in where it was warm-never saw a one! the days it was warm it rained (did the 309 to Lehigh (knife edge) section in a constant day long rain-again snakes probably like it dry so they can sun so didn't see any on the days it rained.

The Mechanical Man
05-29-2009, 01:42
in regards to the snakes.....I know it was only 2 weeks ago-mid May but it was often cold in the mornings-some mornings darn right chilly, so snakes being smarter than hikers staid in where it was warm-never saw a one! the days it was warm it rained (did the 309 to Lehigh (knife edge) section in a constant day long rain-again snakes probably like it dry so they can sun so didn't see any on the days it rained.

The snakes in PA need to warm up real good before they get active, but when the heat is on during the summer, they can be a real danger to the unwary hiker.

I sure hate to see anyone miss our big fat PA rattlesnakes, and the 6 foot long blacksnakes, come back sometime from July - September for peak snake sightings. :sun

WATCH OUT, there goes one now...................

Hoop Time
05-29-2009, 07:38
No need to wait until June or July. I found this one sunning itself Wednesday on the MST.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/2/3/4/mst-052709-5-.jpg

Nasty Dog Virus
05-29-2009, 08:20
Great pic of the fatty rattler! I haven't seen any on the MST yet but I've mostly hiked the MST in cold weather. In Feb. I hiked a few days on the northern end of the MST near Pine Creek Gorge.

For the past few summers, there have been rattlers along the AT between 325 & the Rausch Gap Shelter in Stony Valley...

fredmugs
05-29-2009, 10:08
Great picture! The two times I have seen rattlers on the trail I did not have my camera with me.

10-K
05-29-2009, 10:23
Great picture! The two times I have seen rattlers on the trail I did not have my camera with me.

Just outside of Pearisburg I missed stepping on a copperhead by about an inch and found myself standing motionless with a bared calf right next to a coiled up and angry snake.

I had my camera but taking a picture wasn't on my mind at the moment... Only after I eased away and got down the trail a ways did it occur to me that I could have got a good photo if I had stopped after I got out of striking distance.

I am a snake magnet...The *only* time I've hiked in warm weather and didn't see a snake was earlier this month hiking from HF to Rockfish Gap - didn't see a single snake but it 3 or 4 times hikers coming in the opposite direction told me to "watch out, there's a rattlesnake on the trail." I actually started looking for them in brush piles, on rocks, etc. as I hiked - still didn't see one.

Wags
05-29-2009, 11:09
2 bad-assed pictures guys

Cookerhiker
05-29-2009, 11:52
.....I am a snake magnet...The *only* time I've hiked in warm weather and didn't see a snake was earlier this month hiking from HF to Rockfish Gap - didn't see a single snake but it 3 or 4 times hikers coming in the opposite direction told me to "watch out, there's a rattlesnake on the trail." I actually started looking for them in brush piles, on rocks, etc. as I hiked - still didn't see one.

I'm the opposite - since 1970 in hiking the entire AT (in sections) plus countless other day hikes and side trails mostly in SNP, I have not seen a rattlesnake. Once on a day hike in the Ramsay Draft Wilderness in VA, I jumped on a large boulder and heard one rattling underneath the boulder but never saw him.

Re. PA, I hiked most of it in prime snake season; the entire stretch east of the Susquehanna was in June and September. On the last day of a 65 mile long section hike ending at Wind Gap, I saw a copperhead within 100 yds of the road. Otherwise, the only venemous snake I've seen in the East was a copperhead in SNP over 20 years ago.

Yet I know everytime I go out, I might see one so I'm always alert. I spent most of yesterday in SNP clearing trail with a weedwacker. Lots of thick brush but I didn't see any snakes.

Ironically where I wasn't looking, I saw a Western Rattlesnake in Sequoia National Park. I didn't realize they resided at that elevation (7,000') but after looking in a guidebook, I noted that they can be found up to 10K. So JMT hikers: take note!

emerald
05-29-2009, 13:04
Both color phases yellow and black were shown and could be seen on my screen at the same time for comparision.

ki0eh
05-29-2009, 13:08
Both color phases yellow and black were shown and could be seen on my screen at the same time for comparision.

But I think both were on the Silurian-age Tuscarora Formation. :D

emerald
05-29-2009, 15:26
I'm torn over displaying my copy of Geologic Map of Pennsylvania.

But I think both were on the Silurian-age Tuscarora Formation. :D

After reading what must amount to hundreds of your posts, I'm not surprised!

Wise Old Owl
05-30-2009, 17:05
Pa rocks get a interesting rap...... Some of us think it's a morain or a pile, I dont think so.

What it is about, the trail was cleared and has receded like a bad gum line... exposing sharp points and brick sized pieces about four inches in height and there is no way around them. At the end of the day your dogs are biting you all night long as you try to sleep. Cramps in the feet and Charlie Horses complete the nights in PA.

ki0eh
05-30-2009, 20:27
Unfortunately, publication G 74 on this list is both out of print and not online:
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/topogeo/pub/general.aspx

But from my recollection of seeing it before (I don't have a copy), the "PA rocks" are interpreted as periglacial - that is, not deposited directly by glaciers, but representing the effects of extreme freezing and thawing during the various glacial advances, on the tilted rock outcrop.

Hangman
05-30-2009, 21:26
Was out for a walk today 9 mile loop past the Pulpit and the Pinnicle then the blue blaze back past the resoivor to the parking lot. I stopped for lunch at the Pinnicle and some people there had just seen a Fatty. It was only in the upper 70% today, so I'm sure it was slow moving. I didn't see it.
Last year while having lunch at same spot There was one fat rattler under the rock I sat on. I just moved a few feet over and watched it. They are not aggressive at all and from my experiece will not strike unless you may step on 1 or tease it with a stick.
The section from the Pulpit to the Pinnicle has some rock gardens ,and my ankles are a little sore from today but mainly from being out of hiker shape. When I came thru in 07 on a thru hike the rocks were only a minor pain I guess because your ankles and feet are well toned up by then.

I'm from Pa. and its nice to know that other people have been treated nicely when coming thru. and for anyone who may have encountered any knuckle heads, every state has one that they pass around I think.

m6amba
05-31-2009, 02:09
i happen to live 10 minutes from where the trail crosses the clarks ferry bridge, and also where it goes over top rt 225, ( i live in halifax) ive done that 7 mile stretch, i am planning on going 225-325 this week, anybody wanna go for a dayhike with me?

ive grown up hiking/walking/hunting in PA, so the rocks are nothing new to me, i dont know how to behave on trails without rocks...lol

also, im am planning on doing the stretch from MD to my hometown, halifax, towards the end of the summer, thinking september, does anybody have an idea how long it takes to hike this stretch, and how far it is?

if anybody wants to go for a dayhike/overnight within an hours drive of halifax/harrisburg, please send me a PM
i work an odd schedule which gives me at least 1 day off per week, sometimes 2-3 in a row, and id LOVE to conquer the entire PA section this summer even if i have to hike it 10-20 miles at a time!

also, does anybody have the garmin gps files for it? im thinking with like shelters/water/etc marked on it? and the actual "track" traveled?
i use a garmin oregon and i save every hike i do on my computer, i eventually would like to get the entire AT on my computer, but would REALLY appreciate the PA section for now......can anybody help with that?

MedicineMan
05-31-2009, 02:30
on this last section hike was at the 501 and a hiker from phillie offered a funny story. All in the shelter had been relating how nice the people in PA were, knowing the phillie hiker had sectioned from Springer to the 501 I told him I hoped (after noting his northern accent) that he was treated well while hiking in the south. He told all of us that the trail dumped him into a yard somewhere in TN and as he walked by the house he saw an 'old timer' sitting in a rocking chair. The phillie hiker says good morning and the man rocking replies 'ain't nothing better than seeing a yankee walk north'. Everyone in the shelter -southerners and northerners- all busted out laughing :)

now back to snakes---I've got some serious commonality with Cookerhiker. Many years on the AT but never have I seen a poisonous snake. I'm sure they've seen me stumbling by. But on the Rae Lakes Loop I found a nice rattler sitting right beside the trail. He (well could have been a she) was perfectly content to watch me walk on by.

JuiceBox
05-31-2009, 11:14
I've done most of PA, and I've found the northern half to be the worst I've ever hiked in terms of rocks. Not a solid piece of dirt for miles, just rocks, rocks, and more rocks. That's part of the reason I've decided to move to a hammock from a tent, because most of my backpacking is done in PA/NJ.

Wise Old Owl
05-31-2009, 11:29
now back to snakes---I've got some serious commonality with Cookerhiker. Many years on the AT but never have I seen a poisonous snake. I'm sure they've seen me stumbling by. But on the Rae Lakes Loop I found a nice rattler sitting right beside the trail. He (well could have been a she) was perfectly content to watch me walk on by.

I have seen hikers walk right over rattlers and black racers and never see them. I have stopped them and called them back to show them their near misses, & educate them on what to look for to avoid a mishap. I am amazed how many of us don't see them. I posted here a black racer even went up my leg into my shorts once. You have to be careful.

Old Grouse
05-31-2009, 11:34
Wow! That kind of experience is probably the only way I'd ever manage a 30 mile day!

JuiceBox
05-31-2009, 11:35
Hahaha, snakes wouldn't make me run, but put a spider in my clothes and I'll finish a 5 day trip in a day :D.

Wise Old Owl
05-31-2009, 12:18
Hahaha, snakes wouldn't make me run, but put a spider in my clothes and I'll finish a 5 day trip in a day :D.

You haven't had a snake up your shorts!:eek:

I love to bushwack - but I have been snake bitten on the leg, I have been stung by hornets threw my jeans on the nuts, I have had a bumble bee sting on the eyeball. Bitten on the thumb by a 40 pound snapping turtle, trampled by a horse when I was 13... Poison Ivy, sumac, oak multiple times over 80 percent of my body..... several motorcycle accidents.... a close call with frost bite on the face. broken bones etc, nearly drowned once.

I thought about registering for "I shouldn't be Alive" but they ridicule folks for their mistakes.

Bear Grillis, and Chuck Norris are the only ones that can top this crap now.....:p

emerald
05-31-2009, 12:19
"PA rocks" are interpreted as periglacial - that is, not deposited directly by glaciers, but representing the effects of extreme freezing and thawing during the various glacial advances ...

Thank you for pointing out what you did. I would have posted the same had you not gotten to it before me. The speculation from people who have not studied the literature on the subject and have no formal training in geology never ends.

I wish the book were more widely available. Unfortunately, I sold my copy years ago.

JuiceBox
05-31-2009, 13:01

I love to bushwack - but I have been snake bitten on the leg, I have been stung by hornets threw my jeans on the nuts, I have had a bumble bee sting on the eyeball. Bitten on the thumb by a 40 pound snapping turtle, trampled by a horse when I was 13... Poison Ivy, sumac, oak multiple times over 80 percent of my body..... several motorcycle accidents.... a close call with frost bite on the face. broken bones etc, nearly drowned once.

I thought about registering for "I shouldn't be Alive" but they ridicule folks for their mistakes.

Bear Grillis, and Chuck Norris are the only ones that can top this crap now.....:p

I have had a snake up my shorts, I find them to be fascinating creatures, so I'm not scared of them. Spiders I just can't deal with. It's an irrational, unfounded fear, but it's a fear none the less.

Bear Grills is a chump.

emerald
05-31-2009, 14:15
Many who post about Pennsylvania have contributed, but we have still yet to hear from some of our regular contributors. It's a time when many are more likely to be found outdoors. Perhaps that's why we have not heard from them.

shelterbuilder
05-31-2009, 18:36
Many who post about Pennsylvania have contributed, but we have still yet to hear from some of our regular contributors. It's a time when many are more likely to be found outdoors. Perhaps that's why we have not heard from them.

...seems lately that the only wildlife that I see are TICKS!

Beautiful rattler pics - it was only a couple of years ago that I saw my first yellow-phase rattler. Before that, they were all black-phase.

As for the rocks, well...rocks is rocks, folks. You only need to step on one pointy little b^$+^rd to find out what they ALL feel like! I don't like them any more than the next guy, but after 30 years of walking on them, I guess that I'm used to them.:D

emerald
05-31-2009, 18:44
I like Pennsylvania's rocks even the pointy little rocks and I don't care what anyone else thinks!

Hi, sb. Did you go to BMECC's picnic yesterday?

shelterbuilder
05-31-2009, 18:48
I like our rocks and I don't care what anyone else thinks! Hi, sb.

Howdy, howdy. I had my fill of rocks today at BMECC's cabin...was cutting the grass (after new gas, new oil, new air filter, new spark plug) and darn near killed the mower when I hit - you guessed it - a ROCK!

imagine that.

Plodderman
05-31-2009, 18:52
Looking at doing some of PA in the fall and will see the rocks for myself. Ran into some rocks hiking around Grayson Highlands and Damscus last year.

emerald
05-31-2009, 18:55
I had my fill of rocks today at BMECC's cabin...

Maybe there's a lesson to be gleaned from your misfortune.

m6amba
05-31-2009, 20:00

remind me to never hike with you around........:D

Wise Old Owl
05-31-2009, 20:33
I have had a snake up my shorts, I find them to be fascinating creatures, so I'm not scared of them. Spiders I just can't deal with. It's an irrational, unfounded fear, but it's a fear none the less.

Bear Grills is a chump.

I agree.......

Hangman
05-31-2009, 21:33
on this last section hike was at the 501 and a hiker from phillie offered a funny story. All in the shelter had been relating how nice the people in PA were, knowing the phillie hiker had sectioned from Springer to the 501 I told him I hoped (after noting his northern accent) that he was treated well while hiking in the south. He told all of us that the trail dumped him into a yard somewhere in TN and as he walked by the house he saw an 'old timer' sitting in a rocking chair. The phillie hiker says good morning and the man rocking replies 'ain't nothing better than seeing a yankee walk north'. Everyone in the shelter -southerners and northerners- all busted out laughing :)

I also heard a funny story one night in a shelter about 2 friends driving down the street in Richmond the Yankee said to the Rebel, I love driving down the streets round here and admiring all the second place trophies on horses we all laughed of course.
:confused:I thought Iwould share a picture of a Rattler that I got up close and personal with. Yes I was gentle with her and let her go unhurt. Some people still eat these fattys up north. But not like years ago when they had the big hunts and cookouts! :confused:http://http//www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=228560http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=228560

MedicineMan
05-31-2009, 22:33
I did a little day hike in the city park 2 days ago...saw my first rock there and laughed out loud!! Weired but I actually miss the rocks in PA---and decidedly glad to know that when I return to the DWG in September my little 'pointy' friends will be there to greet me. I seriously thank the Lord that I'm hiking again-that surgery works and that I've go the sense to appreciate even the meanest rocks of Pa.

lysol
05-31-2009, 22:35
It's both a blessing and a curse. If you're into mileage, like I have to admit I am, it can get disheartening. The boulder fields aren't the problem - they're like stair cases. It's the constant mini-rocks that you CANNOT avoid along an otherwise smooth trail that make it impossible not to focus on your feet at all times. Ankle rolling potential throughout. People talk of Vt's up and downs, but they're a red carpet in comparison.

However, you won't find a state with more character. Best towns, best people, plenty of fauna, and interesting geography (Superfund site comes to mind).

If you're section hiking, I would avoid mid-to-late-July, when the water gets thin. I've hiked it both north and south, and I wouldn't recommend it as a first section, but it's a must. As an aside, PA wildlife management is the tops, without parallel. Their rangers are less keen on law enforcement, and more focused on being gatekeepers and guides than most. Not directly related to the AT, but PA doesn't charge for campsites in state parks. Again, I think it speaks well for the attitude and what you will find in PA. And I live in MA.

Dogwood
06-01-2009, 00:57
I never did get all the bitching about PA rocks. What? There are no similar rocky stretches of AT in NC, NJ, NY, CT, NH, and ME?

The Mechanical Man
06-01-2009, 02:17
I did a little day hike in the city park 2 days ago...saw my first rock there and laughed out loud!! Weired but I actually miss the rocks in PA---and decidedly glad to know that when I return to the DWG in September my little 'pointy' friends will be there to greet me. I seriously thank the Lord that I'm hiking again-that surgery works and that I've go the sense to appreciate even the meanest rocks of Pa.

MedicineMan

If you REALLY miss the rocks, .........in September you could re-start your hike here at Smith Gap, and do the last 25 miles of PA all over again.

Also, while you are here you can load the trunk of your car, and take as many rocks as you want, back home with you. :D

10-K
06-01-2009, 04:57
If you're section hiking, I would avoid mid-to-late-July, when the water gets thin. I've hiked it both north and south, and I wouldn't recommend it as a first section, but it's a must. As an aside, PA wildlife management is the tops, without parallel. Their rangers are less keen on law enforcement, and more focused on being gatekeepers and guides than most. Not directly related to the AT, but PA doesn't charge for campsites in state parks. Again, I think it speaks well for the attitude and what you will find in PA. And I live in MA.

I'm planning to hike PA SOBO starting July 8th starting at DWG and stopping at PenMar Park.

If I understand correctly, the northern half is the most rocky so I'd like to get the rocks out of the way first. Hopefully there will be enough water - we'll see.

Here's a "Hiking the AT in PA question"..... If a person hikes 20 miles per day going SOBO, what would be the recommended town stops along the way?

Since it's going to be so hot, I'd like to carry as little as possible so I don't mind going into town alot and money isn't a problem. At the same time, I don't want to get more than 8-10 miles from the AT or find myself with a difficult hitch back to the trail in the morning.

Serious bonus points for showers and a washer and dryer....

ki0eh
06-01-2009, 09:45
As an aside, PA wildlife management is the tops, without parallel. Their rangers are less keen on law enforcement, and more focused on being gatekeepers and guides than most. Not directly related to the AT, but PA doesn't charge for campsites in state parks. Again, I think it speaks well for the attitude and what you will find in PA. And I live in MA.

PA has a diversity in public land managing agencies. From your description I suspect you are speaking of State Forests, and State Forest Rangers. State Forests do not (yet) charge for the drive-up campsites they occasionally offer, but you do need permits.

State Parks DO charge (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/recreation/camping.aspx) for campsites, most are reservable.

State Game Lands are in an entirely different department and league, no camping is allowed, except dispersed camping along the A.T. only (not other trails).

shelterbuilder
06-01-2009, 21:40
PA has a diversity in public land managing agencies. From your description I suspect you are speaking of State Forests, and State Forest Rangers. State Forests do not (yet) charge for the drive-up campsites they occasionally offer, but you do need permits.

State Parks DO charge (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/recreation/camping.aspx) for campsites, most are reservable.

State Game Lands are in an entirely different department and league, no camping is allowed, except dispersed camping along the A.T. only (not other trails).

Ya gotta love the "patchwork-quilt" of agencies and regulations in Pa. I sometimes have to laugh at folks who say that you don't need to carry maps for Pa. If you don't carry them (and know how to read them), then how will you know whose land you're hiking on, and whose regulations you need to be following?

I agree that, from the description, he's probably talking about State Forest Rangers. Most of the Game Commission folks that I know and work with are very definitely focused on law enforcement - and that's okay, because there are a lot of folks out there who seem to be intent on breaking the rules regarding Game Lands use. (Most of this seems to center on illegal dumping, illegal hunting, and illegal camping, and doesn't directly involve backpackers on the AT that much.) Most folks forget that these guys are charged with maintaining wildlife HABITAT, and anything that is bad for that habitat is a problem as far as they are concerned.

If it wasn't for the Game Commission's land ownership, a lot of the AT in Pa. would have been on paved roads for decades, so go easy on those PGC employees when you meet them in the woods - they're doing us all a big favor, IMHO.

Ridge Rat
06-01-2009, 23:20
Ya gotta love the "patchwork-quilt" of agencies and regulations in Pa. I sometimes have to laugh at folks who say that you don't need to carry maps for Pa. If you don't carry them (and know how to read them), then how will you know whose land you're hiking on, and whose regulations you need to be following?

I agree that, from the description, he's probably talking about State Forest Rangers. Most of the Game Commission folks that I know and work with are very definitely focused on law enforcement - and that's okay, because there are a lot of folks out there who seem to be intent on breaking the rules regarding Game Lands use. (Most of this seems to center on illegal dumping, illegal hunting, and illegal camping, and doesn't directly involve backpackers on the AT that much.) Most folks forget that these guys are charged with maintaining wildlife HABITAT, and anything that is bad for that habitat is a problem as far as they are concerned.

If it wasn't for the Game Commission's land ownership, a lot of the AT in Pa. would have been on paved roads for decades, so go easy on those PGC employees when you meet them in the woods - they're doing us all a big favor, IMHO.

I have to agree on this one. I met one of the game wardens who patrols the pinacle/pulpit and windsor furnace shelter area a few weeks ago. The guy is a really friendly guy from philly and has a plethora of great information about local wildlife. Never had a problem with any of the game wardens and have nothing but good things to say about them.... Now the DCNR guys in the state parks.........

retrobrian
06-02-2009, 16:15
Hello I want to hike the Pa portion of the AT sometime this summer. I'm a novice in every sense of the word. Haven't had a backpack on in 25 years. All help from anyone will be very welcome. I live close to Pittsburgh. Tonight is pens vs detroit game three. looking for help

emerald
06-02-2009, 18:09
:welcometo WhiteBlaze. Summer isn't the best time to hike Pennsylvania's AT, but there's no reason you couldn't. Heat and water will be your biggest concerns.

Read Hike the Trail (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805465/k.9760/Hike_the_Trail.htm) and purchase a copy of Guide to the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania. Your experience will be more enjoyable and you will be helping to support the Appalachian Trail and its maintenance.

Reread this thread and follow its links to find information which will prove helpful. Read threads related to Pennsylvania's AT shelters even if you have no intention of using them for information about water sources and regulations pertaining to hikers.

You'll find distances between AT points, town maps and information about hiker services by clicking on the link below.

ki0eh
06-02-2009, 18:35
There is a new 20 mile backpacking circuit that may be of interest as a shakedown site for you, at Raccoon Creek State Park (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/raccooncreek/raccooncreek_trails.aspx) - might as well get comfortable with your gear, do various adjustments, etc., work a few things out for what works for you, before traveling across the state or the country.

El Toro '94
06-10-2009, 08:28
Pennsylvania - Cons: :(

Compared to New England, and southern VA, TN, & NC, the hiking is rather boring, with long, level slogs with what seems like O elevation gain or loss (Lehigh Gap not withstanding)
Scant water, usually a long way to get to a spring that barely flows
7-8 views, all of the same 2 farms
For most thruhikers, miserably hot and muggy weatjer in July
Oh yeah, almost forgot, about half of the rocks in the known universe, all sharp, sticking out at crazy ankle busting angles, and about half of them are loose. (Rocks in the Presidentials are worse though)
Pennsylvania - Pros::banana

Some of the friendliest, nicest people I've ever met.
Hershey's Ice Cream
The finest, cheapest beer to be had in North Anerica outside of Mexico. I'm talking about Yuengling.

All-in-all, the pros have it by a wide margin. The cheap beer and ice cream more than make up for the negatives. Pennsylvania rocks.

BarFight
06-10-2009, 21:36
The PA rocks were completely overrated. Ever hiked in New Hampshire or Maine?

Hoop Time
06-11-2009, 09:15
The finest, cheapest beer to be had in North Anerica outside of Mexico. I'm talking about Yuengling.

All-in-all, the pros have it by a wide margin. The cheap beer and ice cream more than make up for the negatives. Pennsylvania rocks.

I am a big fan of Yuengling, but as a central Pa. resident I'd be remiss if I did not advise beer lovers we also have a number of outstanding microbreweries in the state. When passing through the Cumberland Valley, be sure to try the brews from Appalachian Brewing Company and Troegs. Some varieties of both are available at the Doyle.

tiptoe
06-11-2009, 14:44
I'm doing DWG to Duncannon starting June 21. I'm hoping the rain stops by then.

mweinstone
06-11-2009, 16:10
sup barfight. aint no hard hikeing in pa. walked 27 29 28 into the doyal when i was 14. did pa in 10 days when i was 18.rocks require skill not streangth.

mweinstone
06-11-2009, 16:13
ment 18 on that 14. 8's next to the 4 on my computer when im drinking.