PDA

View Full Version : Is Sept. SOBO start really nuts?

McIntyre
05-25-2009, 23:22
Friends -- Am thinking about various possibilities and (don't laugh) is a SOBO start on September 1 a really ridiculous idea? Could an experienced & 20 mile/day hiker expect to make it to Springer in 5+ months? Does anyone know of anyone who has done this and could you give me contact info?

Thanks

McIntyre

Blissful
05-25-2009, 23:26
Yeah but it will get cold, lonely, dark, etc. If you're up for it and have skill in winter conditions as well as the gear, go for it.
But no way will you do 20 plus miles starting out. Maybe after the Whites you can pick up some speed.

Nean
05-26-2009, 00:10
Friends -- Am thinking about various possibilities and (don't laugh) is a SOBO start on September 1 a really ridiculous idea? Could an experienced & 20 mile/day hiker expect to make it to Springer in 5+ months? Does anyone know of anyone who has done this and could you give me contact info?

Thanks

McIntyre

Sure, do the math. I did 20s my first time out so its very possible, and flat starting out. Southern Maine - northern N.H. not so much but then it just keeps getting easier- if you're an experienced 20mpd guy. As Bliss pointed out you will need the proper gear but IMO you are in for the perfect hike! Hikers will be few and far between at times. You'll have shelters to yourself most nights; you will start to wonder why they call it a highway; you will ask, What green tunnel? You can always bail into town if the weather gets too nasty. It has been done many times. Have a great adventure!

fiddlehead
05-26-2009, 00:18
Sure, it's a great time to start.
The nights will get long near the end but you will be in great shape by then and probably hiking till dark everynight.

Have fun.

stranger
05-26-2009, 22:27
As said earlier, the hardest part will likely be the solitude and lack of daylight, but I disagree that you can't start out doing 20's, for many hikers 20 mile days are not "long days" but average days. Just like people say you can't do 20's from Springer, of course you can, I've done it, so have many other hikers.

For me, the concern would be the southern 500 miles, you are relatively high and even doing good miles right from Maine, you are likely to be going through that section in very late fall or winter. What's your cold tolerance? Do you consider 32 deg cold or 3 deg? Do you enjoy night hiking? Do you enjoy solitude? Things like that.

When in doubt, go for it!

garlic08
05-26-2009, 22:55
A September SOBO was my alternate plan last year, to finish by Thanksgiving. I ended up with a 3.5 month NOBO, which is almost exactly 20 miles per day average. It's certainly not ridiculous. To an experienced 20 mpd hiker, the AT will not slow you down appreciably. Best of luck.

kayak karl
06-07-2009, 09:41
what are the temps up north in late august, early sept.
i pasted about 12 sobos in jan and feb (going nobo). they were doing great.

thestin
06-07-2009, 09:46
I would think that your biggest hurdle would be getting through the Whites before the snow starts flying.

Be aware that you will have less than 12 hours of daylight once you get into late September, and that the days will grow shorter quickly.

That said, I have run into people finishing up Sobos in the late winter and they seemed to have enjoyed the experience.

kayak karl
06-07-2009, 10:27
I would think that your biggest hurdle would be getting through the Whites before the snow starts flying.

Be aware that you will have less than 12 hours of daylight once you get into late September, and that the days will grow shorter quickly.

That said, I have run into people finishing up Sobos in the late winter and they seemed to have enjoyed the experience.
im used to the short days, but your right the whites might be a problem.
anyone do it that time of year???

YoungMoose
06-07-2009, 13:03
go for it. You just need to be well equiped and have good gear

Jeff
06-07-2009, 13:14
Sept 1 should be doable...have met several last year who started around that time. You should be in VT by Oct 15th. Greylock might be interesting.

Biggest challenge will be how to celebrate Thanksgiving & Christmas on the trail. Kind of a bummer without family and friends.

El Toro '94
06-15-2009, 17:00
Hope to see you out there McIntyre, will be starting from NY/NJ around Halloween, SOBO to Springer. You should get to this section about then if not a little earlier. At your pace, you should be able to fly thru this section and do multiple 20+ without trying. Won't be able to keep up with you though as I'm out of shape. Look for a fat white guy with a cowboy hat.
As for the Whites-unpredictable weatherwise, but you should be able to make Hanover by early October at the latest, provided you are in good condition starting out. The Mahoosucs and the Whites will be gorgeous in mid-late Sept. (that's the time I went thru them, finished Big K Oct. 14), and wasn't really pushing too hard. You shouldn't have a problem doing it in 5 months, but I would advise you to slow down just a little and really enjoy the section from Stratton(ME) to Hanover. You can easily make up the miles between Vermont and Tennessee.
Have a great hike, and maybe run into ya!

Pokey2006
06-15-2009, 17:14
im used to the short days, but your right the whites might be a problem.
anyone do it that time of year???

Some years the snow starts in the Whites in October or November. Other years, there's perfect hiking weather -- cool, crisp, sunny days. If he gets through by the end of Oct. he'll probably be fine. Nov. can be a little more volatile and stormy and cold.

TJ aka Teej
06-15-2009, 18:24
If he gets through by the end of Oct. he'll probably be fine.
I'd say he'd need to be over Mt Washington by October 1st, so yeah - a September sobo is nuts.

Pokey2006
06-15-2009, 19:46
I'd say he'd need to be over Mt Washington by October 1st, so yeah - a September sobo is nuts.

Why??? I've hiked up Mt. Washington in late November on a gorgeous fall day. And I've hiked up it in July with crappy weather. Mid-Oct. sometimes has the best hiking weather in NH.

Again, it does depend on the year. But there's no reason to believe he has to get over Mt. Washington by Oct. 1.

Actually, he's likely to get worse weather in January in the south than he will get in NH in October, or even November.

Rockhound
06-16-2009, 08:13

Thanks

McIntyre
It can be done and has been done. Have a great hike and, yes you are crazy.

The Solemates
06-16-2009, 09:48

Thanks

McIntyre

5+ months is not averaging 20 mile days. more like 13-14.

we did the trail in 5 months and averaged 14-15.

2175/150 = 14.5 miles per day, which is nowhere near the 20 you cite.

JAK
06-16-2009, 09:51
Walking with Fall eh. Cool.

JAK
06-16-2009, 10:08
or maybe Running from Winter. lol

I would also like to go NOBO when I go, because I live up here and hiking a new trail in the direction away from home and into the unknown seems more natural to me. Actually, even for an old trail. I usually do the Fundy Footpath in the away from home direction. I've done 5 day Winter, Spring, and Summer hikes but never a long hike, and never a 5 day Fall hike yet either, except years ago in basic training. Not sure why. Awesome time of year to hike.

I seriously like the idea of hiking with winter on your back. Best regards.

Walking into Winter might be an interesting way to go also. You would certainly see more seasonal change that way. Winter can get extreme early, especially at altitude which I don't have much experience with, but you wouldn't have much snow melt to worry about like you would in March. Might be more predictable in that sense.

A climb of Katahdin in winter would be interesting. There is an old Indian Legend that it is taboo eh, but it can be done with alot of planning and some extra paperwork. Not for everyone obviously, but it would be quite a challenge to go NOBO starting Sep 1, even just to get to Katahdin, never mind climbing it. Not my cup of tea. I think the Indians knew what they were doing, but obviously some folks must have tried even back then otherwise it wouldn't have been taboo and their wouldn't have been a legend about it. It just simply wouldn't have been done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamola