PDA

View Full Version : recommendations for a good dehydrator

kanga
05-26-2009, 11:47
don't want to spend over $200. looking for one with temp control, not just an on-off, as i will be doing a variety of foods, including meat.
does anybody have any brand favorites? i've gotten several votes for excalibers.

trippclark
05-26-2009, 11:53
Good discussion of this topic at

http://www.trailcooking.com/dehydrating101

I just got the Nesco

Grinder
05-26-2009, 12:02
here's a thread on the subject from a while back

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42310&highlight=dehydrator+recommendation

a nesco is okay L'equip is the bomb per SARBAR

hoz
05-26-2009, 12:26
I second an Excalibur. Haven't regretted my wife buying one.

MintakaCat
05-26-2009, 12:53
I recommend the Excalibur also. Don't forget to order the Paraflexx Food Drying Sheets too.

sarbar
05-26-2009, 13:04
All the suggestions are perfect :) Just buy a good brand and you will be OK!

hoz
05-26-2009, 15:26
I recommend the Excalibur also. Don't forget to order the Paraflexx Food Drying Sheets too.

I use parchment paper or saran wrap.

LaurieAnn
05-27-2009, 08:08
Kanga... I write wilderness cookbooks for a living so my dehydrator gets more use and abuse than the average person's unit would. I use Nesco, specifically the FD 75 PR which is a 700 watt model with a top fan. Back when I was helping my friend Christine test recipes for Lipsmackin' Vegetarian Backpackin' I used a Nesco FD 50 which is an older 500 watt model with a bottom fan. Both dehydrators are still going strong.

Some criteria to look for...

- minimum 500 watts
- adjustable thermostat
- top or side fan (bottom fans are hard to clean)

While Excalibur and L'Equip make great dryers you can do the same thing and have years of service out of a Nesco for significantly less. I think my FD 75 was about $60 US.

MintakaCat
05-27-2009, 08:30
I use parchment paper or saran wrap.

When I got my Excalibur last fall they just gave me the ParaFlexx drying sheets for free. Hard to beat that deal. I think I got it from these folks, but I can't be sure:

http://www.harvestessentials.com/exmoded.html

At $105.95 that's a pretty good deal.

MintakaCat
05-27-2009, 09:01

- minimum 500 watts
- adjustable thermostat

I guess my electrical engineering background kicked in when I was looking at the Nesco models. Granted they are lower in price but they sure seem like they are energy hogs. Given the volume of food that needs to be dehydrated the Nesco FD-75 consumes 700 watts of power. That’s over 6 amps!

Whereas the Excalibur only consumes 220 watts to accomplish the same task. That is only 2 amps. That’s only 32% of the power needed to do the job of the Nesco unit. Seems the Excalibur is more energy efficient if it maintains the temperature level and circulates the same volume of air.

So, I guess I disagree with the statement that the unit needs to be a 500 watt minimum. Many manufacturers will use the higher wattage as a marketing angle to sell the unit to the uneducated consumer, when in fact, it is less energy efficient.

JAK
05-27-2009, 10:10
If your oven has a convection feature, be sure and try it out.

I went for years before I tried it. Mine can only be set down to 170F but its great for jerky even with door closed. Ends up very dry, which I like. I haven't tried blueberries or vegetables yet but I will. I can't compare it to a real dehydrator, but it works for me.

sarbar
05-27-2009, 11:11
To play the devil's advocate....one thing to consider before buying a dehydrator is how much will you REALLY use it. Often at garage sales or if you ask relatives/friends someone will have a like new one they want to get rid of. Many buy them and then either don't have the time or realize it is too much effort.

Having said that...if you don't think you will use it much, you can buy nearly everything commercially dried these days (outside of say...gourmet rices and precooked pasta).

www.packitgourmet.com
www.harmonyhousefoods.com
www.justtomatoes.com
www.beprepared.com

And so many more! They can be great for those who might not hike a lot or just don't have time due to work & family.

LaurieAnn
05-27-2009, 20:50
I guess my electrical engineering background kicked in when I was looking at the Nesco models. Granted they are lower in price but they sure seem like they are energy hogs. Given the volume of food that needs to be dehydrated the Nesco FD-75 consumes 700 watts of power. That’s over 6 amps!

Whereas the Excalibur only consumes 220 watts to accomplish the same task. That is only 2 amps. That’s only 32% of the power needed to do the job of the Nesco unit. Seems the Excalibur is more energy efficient if it maintains the temperature level and circulates the same volume of air.

So, I guess I disagree with the statement that the unit needs to be a 500 watt minimum. Many manufacturers will use the higher wattage as a marketing angle to sell the unit to the uneducated consumer, when in fact, it is less energy efficient.

I have to disagree about the power usage arguement you make. Higher wattage doesn't always mean less efficient and if a dehydrator has to run an extra 8 hours to do the same job as a higher wattage model then the lower wattage model it isn't really all that efficient.

While you are right that wattage can be misleading... the Nesco and cheaper units that run under 500 watts are crap (from first hand experience).

My husband was an electrician and a while back he calculated the cost of running our Nesco. When he returns from Montreal I'll try and remember to get him to give me the info again so I can post it. It was quite nominal.

Toolshed
05-27-2009, 20:58
Kanga... I write wilderness cookbooks for a living so my dehydrator gets more use and abuse than the average person's unit would. I use Nesco, specifically the FD 75 PR which is a 700 watt model with a top fan. Back when I was helping my friend Christine test recipes for Lipsmackin' Vegetarian Backpackin' I used a Nesco FD 50 which is an older 500 watt model with a bottom fan. Both dehydrators are still going strong.

- minimum 500 watts
- adjustable thermostat

While Excalibur and L'Equip make great dryers you can do the same thing and have years of service out of a Nesco for significantly less. I think my FD 75 was about $60 US.
Kanga, I agree wholeheartedly with everything she just said!!!

I would only add that my Bottom-Fan Nesco/American Harvester is from 1991-1992 and has run nonstop many, many weekends during summer harvests. All i have ever had to do is replace the trays as they become brittle with age. It stiull runs great.

My Top-Fan Nesco is about 10 years old and also runs like a champ.

I like the Top-F model better when dehydrating wet items like tomatoes and peaches as the bottom is easier to clean up.
I have had to take apart the Bottom-Fan dehydydrator a number of times over the years to clean out the dried fruit and vegetable juices around the motor housing.

LaurieAnn
05-27-2009, 21:00
I forgot to mention. A 700 watt dehydrator doesn't always run at 700 watts. That is the units maximum power output on the highest setting.

About the thermostat... you should also have a unit where the thermostat goes up to 155°F or 160°F if you will be drying meats.

Heater
05-27-2009, 21:07
don't want to spend over $200. looking for one with temp control, not just an on-off, as i will be doing a variety of foods, including meat.
does anybody have any brand favorites? i've gotten several votes for excalibers.

Just get a cheapo 3 tray Nesco with a fan on top for starters until you figure you have the time and patience.
(I didn't) They are pretty cheap at Wallyworld.
Then go spend the big bucks on a good one.

Probably could go to Goodwill and get one for 10.

MintakaCat
05-27-2009, 22:27
I have to disagree about the power usage arguement you make. Higher wattage doesn't always mean less efficient and if a dehydrator has to run an extra 8 hours to do the same job as a higher wattage model then the lower wattage model it isn't really all that efficient.

While you are right that wattage can be misleading... the Nesco and cheaper units that run under 500 watts are crap (from first hand experience).

My husband was an electrician and a while back he calculated the cost of running our Nesco. When he returns from Montreal I'll try and remember to get him to give me the info again so I can post it. It was quite nominal.

Okay, let’s look at this from the point you made about the dehydrator of higher wattage taking less time to accomplish the same task. My question is how can a higher wattage dehydrator do this? It shouldn’t apply the extra wattage to the temperature because in dehydrating food you want this to be done at a certain temperature. So I assume that the temperature should be a constant in this equation, unless there is a problem with efficiency.

The other part of this equation would be the air flow of the unit. Would the additional wattage be applied to the air flow such that this would speed the dehydration of the food? It would seem to me that applying that much additional power to the airflow would make a huge difference in noise not to mention what it would do to the food. This should be measured in CFPM (Cubic Feet Per Minute).

The last part of the equation is the volume of food that the dehydrator can handle. If this increases then it will require additional wattage. Engineers call this portion equation the “load.” The load can be measured by the area of the trays that the food sits. On my Excalibur that area is 4 square feet.

Which brings me back to my original question. If you recommend a dehydrator with a minimum of 500 watts, where is this additional wattage applied? Heat, airflow or load? Maybe you’re right about this but I just wonder where this additional power is going to accomplish this task in less time.

My assumption, from an engineering point of view, is that the additional wattage is being applied to the heating element because the dehydrator is having a harder time maintaining the temperature. I also think that this is due to increased airflow causing the heat just generated by the heating element to be forced out too quickly. I think that an increase in airflow to a point would speed the process, but not by a factor over 200% above the 220 watt unit that I have.

So in simple terms this would mean that a Nesco at 700 watts would need to dehydrate the same volume of food in a third the time an Excalibur (220 watts) would. Can you see why I’m a bit skeptical on this claim?

Anyway, I apologize for being a pain in the you know what, I just like crunching the numbers. Plus, I also want to welcome you to WB.:welcome

mweinstone
05-27-2009, 22:46
dehydraters make foods smell like crap. ovens are like seasoned cookware. they dry just fine on keep warm with a wood spoon in the door to vent moisture. a little more care is needed and you wont be liveing your little easybake life but your jerky will kill.

JAK
05-28-2009, 08:29
MintakaCat,
I think the ladies are right that the higher wattage models don't neccessarily use more energy to get the job done. They also have the advantage of heating meat up faster initially to get it out of the danger zone. The heating elements cycle on and off. The higher power units are cycled on for shorter periods of time, which maintains a steadier temperature, but doesn't use more energy in total.

JAK
05-28-2009, 08:32
dehydraters make foods smell like crap. ovens are like seasoned cookware. they dry just fine on keep warm with a wood spoon in the door to vent moisture. a little more care is needed and you wont be liveing your little easybake life but your jerky will kill.That's good to hear. I use my oven and thought the jerky was pretty good and pretty easy. Didn't have to crack the door either as it has a convection feature. Can only be set down to 170F though, so I'm not sure how the blueberries will work out. Also, not sure do I squish 'em a little before I dry them or what?

MintakaCat
05-28-2009, 09:01
MintakaCat,
I think the ladies are right that the higher wattage models don't neccessarily use more energy to get the job done. They also have the advantage of heating meat up faster initially to get it out of the danger zone. The heating elements cycle on and off. The higher power units are cycled on for shorter periods of time, which maintains a steadier temperature, but doesn't use more energy in total.

Ah, thats a good point. Let me email them and see what they state as an average wattage the units use. I guess the only real way to determine the true power useage is to place an amp meter on the unit and plot the amperage over a 15 to 30 minute time frame and then calculte the kilowatt/hour useage.

LOL, I love this kind of stuff.:D

JAK
05-28-2009, 09:04
Plus unless you do it in summer with the AC on, its still heating your house.

JAK
05-28-2009, 09:07
has anyone tried sun drying? We don't really have the climate for it, but we have a south facing window that dries the living **** out of some plants when I forget to water them them. :)

MintakaCat
05-28-2009, 09:23
Plus unless you do it in summer with the AC on, its still heating your house.

I'll tell you what I will do. I'll get a Nesco and run a overall power test with it and the Excalibur and I'll post the results on here. Then I'll donate the Nesco to kanga. :)

Sound like a plan?

kanga
05-28-2009, 11:13
i like this plan! can we extend it to shoes too? i need some new merrells...

Two Speed
05-28-2009, 11:17
i like this plan! can we extend it to shoes too? i need some new merrells...You're gonna dehydrate stuff in your shoes? Ewwwww!

Farr Away
05-28-2009, 11:26
That's good to hear. I use my oven and thought the jerky was pretty good and pretty easy. Didn't have to crack the door either as it has a convection feature. Can only be set down to 170F though, so I'm not sure how the blueberries will work out. Also, not sure do I squish 'em a little before I dry them or what?

Don't think I would 'squish' them, but pricking the skin would probably help them dry faster. On the other hand, doing that to each and every blueberry would be a major pain, lol.

hoz
05-28-2009, 11:56
dehydraters make foods smell like crap. ovens are like seasoned cookware. they dry just fine on keep warm with a wood spoon in the door to vent moisture. a little more care is needed and you wont be liveing your little easybake life but your jerky will kill.

What sort of BS is this? You can use either to dehydrate but "dehydraters make foods smell like crap"? What exactly is this "smell" you detect?

If you're such a purist why don't you dry by the sun? Wooden frames, fiberglass screen, and a hot sunny day is all you'll need.

Of course, make sure to keep the flies off your produce.

JAK
05-28-2009, 12:11
I'm going to try sun drying some blueberries. We can buy frozen local ones here for $26 for 10 pounds. I've started eating them again, going through 10 pounds every 2 weeks or so. Yum. Anyhow, might be good to take some hiking. I read somewhere that they were commonly used in pemmican, but usually not in every day pemmican but more for special wedding and funeral ceremonial pemmicans. I think they might have been spread squished on birch bark and dried that way, and maybe rolled up and stored that way also once dried, rather like a fruit roll up. I'm going to try drying them intact, and some with a single prick, see what difference it makes. Also compare convection oven to south facing window. It would be nice if I could dry them at the same time I make my jerky, which I like to do as late as the night before a hike. For jerky I've been using mollasses, but I might try honey also as it is local, though not native. Honey bees were introduced from Europe.

I think cheese cloth is enough to keep the flies off while sun drying. We have a south window that I put some shelves in when starting seeds. I could do something similar for drying racks. Maybe of fibreglass window screen as suggested. Could also use fibreglass windowscreen on the inside of the house to keep the flies down, though fruit flies might still get through. Wife will freak. Won't be the last time. :D

sarbar
05-28-2009, 13:42
As for mweinstone. He has very narrow views on what is "healthy" and what isn't.

As for sun drying mentioned, yes, it does work but it has to be hot and not humid when you do it. You will also need fabric to cover the food to keep insects off of it.

On the other hand, drying herbs in the air is good, as is mushrooms. You can stash both in paper bags, hung up in a breezy area to dry - you don't need heat.

sarbar
05-28-2009, 13:43
Jak, cheesecloth is what my mom used, just use a tight weave over the cheap stuff they sell for Halloween use.

LaurieAnn
05-29-2009, 08:02
Don't think I would 'squish' them, but pricking the skin would probably help them dry faster. On the other hand, doing that to each and every blueberry would be a major pain, lol.

No, no... you use frozen or if using fresh you give them a quick blanch in boiling water - a minute or two at most. Same with cranberries. If you don't then you have an issue called casing. This is where the outside dries but the inside doesn't. Casing opens you up to all kinds of nasty bacteria and mold growth.

JAK
05-29-2009, 08:40
Thanks Sarbar and LaurieAnn.
I had a big bowl of blueberries again this morning with skim milk. They are frozen and I run them under and have them sit in a bowl of hot water to thaw them out without losing too much juice. I do notice that the skins are pretty weak compared to fresh, so I think what LaurieAnn is saying is that I shouldn't have to squish or prick them. Good to know.

So when I go to sundry or dehydrate them should I skip the hot rinse, and just start with them frozen?
I think what I will do is experiment with 4 small batches.
1. Hot rinse and sun dry inside south window.
2. Start frozen and sun dry inside south window.
3. Hot rinse and convection oven dry.
4. Start frozen and convection oven dry.

Unfortunately I can't set the oven lower than 170F. This shouldn't burn them, but I think I will lose more of the vitamin C. I think if I crack the door it shuts off in convection mode, but I might do that every 15 minutes or so anyway, 15 minutes convection oven, 15 minutes door open, see if that helps. Also maybe start with sun drying and finish with a short stint in the convection oven. Or maybe borrow my friends dehydrator. ;)

LaurieAnn
05-29-2009, 12:26
Back when I had the Kitchen Aid convection oven there was a setting for dehydration and a little thing you could buy that pushed on the door switch when the oven was propped open so it wouldn't shut off. Your's is probably the same and I bet you could McGyver something to work.

CowHead
05-29-2009, 13:36
has anyone tried sun drying? We don't really have the climate for it, but we have a south facing window that dries the living **** out of some plants when I forget to water them them. :)
http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/surv/soldehyd.htm
Everything you need to know

JAK
05-29-2009, 13:59
Thanks LaurieAnn and Cowhead. I am going to give both solar and oven a shot tonight.
Actually, solar will have to wait 'til tomorrow I guess. Probably work better by day. lol

laherb
05-29-2009, 19:30
like some of the others, excalibur makes very nice dehydrators.

Wise Old Owl
05-29-2009, 19:51
lots of good information here, guess we all have it covered.

Cannibal
06-22-2009, 12:16
Kanga-
What did you decide? I'm shopping for one too, but there are just too many choices.

kanga
06-22-2009, 12:54
Kanga-
What did you decide? I'm shopping for one too, but there are just too many choices.

pm sent

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

lustreking
06-26-2009, 08:25

My Nesco (FD-1020, much more than I need, but I got a crazy good deal on it used) has a 1000 Watt heater. While using it with the stock 4 trays, I'm sure this is overkill, but the big heater allows you to put up to 20 in it.

I'm not denying the fact that the average consumer will think that bigger is better without understanding it, but there is an advantage of having more available horsepower under the hood.

Allen1901
06-27-2009, 11:18
You can always use Alton Browns 20" box fan method. The "Blowhard 4000"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfI0NKl-Kq0&NR=1

Cheers!