PDA

View Full Version : Pictured Rocks

ChinMusic
05-26-2009, 12:03
I've been invited to hike this trail (40ish miles) in the UP of Michigan in late June. It has been on my list of places to hike. I understand that it is a very easy trail and VERY scenic. I think I would take my good camera equip with me.

Couple questions:

Is this a good time of year for this trail?

Is late June prime bug season?

Is the soil sandy at the designated campsites to the point that I might have trouble with tent stakes (Lunar Solo = stakes under tension)?

Pringles
05-26-2009, 16:42
Hi,

It's a beautiful area. I hike there regularly. Definitely take your camera.

The trail should be fine then.

The bugs should be splendid. Magnificent, even. Take DEET, and maybe a head net. On the other hand, if you get here and it's cool, that should keep the bugs down. You may be lucky and hit an off few days, but be prepared.

I've never had problems with tent stakes and I've stayed at all the camp areas.

Pringles

cmcdonal2001
06-03-2009, 13:21
I've hiked there several times, and it is an amazingly beautiful stretch of trail. In summer the bugs CAN be horrendous. A few summers ago I was up there and the amount of black flies could only be described as 'biblical'. However, I think that was a heavier bug year than usual. Take some DEET and maybe a head net and you should be fine.

No problems pitching tents, and other than some sand walking and a few minor hills, a very easy hike. Well worth your time.

conmcb25
06-04-2009, 13:04
So far the weather has been very cool in "DA UP". You may luck out with less black flies than usual.

Good Luck, I want to hike this again, this time with my son, maybe in the summer of 2010.

ChinMusic
06-04-2009, 14:48
We got our permits for the campsites lined up. Will def be prepared for serious bugs as best as possible. Should be a nice and easy 4 days.

ChinMusic
07-01-2009, 09:37
Our trip through Pictured Rocks was truly memorable. The scenery was amazing. I will def be returning. The mosquitoes were indeed "splendid" but thanks to better-life-through-chemistry they were kept at bay.

Here is a slideshow of pics from the trip: http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/Pictured%20Rocks%202009/?albumview=slideshow

Here are a few of my faves:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/Pictured%20Rocks%202009/PicturedRocks062.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/Pictured%20Rocks%202009/PicturedRocks021.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/Pictured%20Rocks%202009/PicturedRocks050.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/Pictured%20Rocks%202009/PicturedRocks077.jpg

mudhead
07-01-2009, 12:57
Very nice pics.

I have to ask: Swim?

ChinMusic
07-01-2009, 13:22
Very nice pics.

I have to ask: Swim?
Thanks and no, no swim, WAY too cold water. It was GREAT to cool off the feet though.

Lyle
07-01-2009, 13:57
Need to get back there soon. been too long.

mudhead
07-01-2009, 14:01
Thanks and no, no swim, WAY too cold water. It was GREAT to cool off the feet though.

Big sissy. I jumped in Superior. Once.

Rockhound
07-01-2009, 14:05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cUNNKzj_Nc Just beware of shrinkage!

beakerman
07-01-2009, 14:09

Once...I'm sure that is the active word there. Twice could get you commited I'm sure.

mudhead
07-01-2009, 14:11
Once...I'm sure that is the active word there. Twice could get you commited I'm sure.

Might be enough alcohol in the world, but I can't drink it all in one sitting.

Lyle
07-01-2009, 14:19
Occasionally Superior gets warm enough in the Pictured Rocks area to swim. I remember one year at the Twelve Mile Beach and at the Chapel Falls campsite we went swimming. Could stay in the water for close to an hour, fairly comfortable. Granted, these situations are rare and depend a lot on time of year, currents, and how warm the summer has been - but they do occasionally happen.

ChinMusic
07-01-2009, 14:28
I remember one year at the Twelve Mile Beach and at the Chapel Falls campsite we went swimming.
We dropped down to Twelve Mile Beach for an hour or so. I let my buddy get far enough in front of me for this pic:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/Pictured%20Rocks%202009/PicturedRocks026.jpg

sheepdog
07-01-2009, 15:08
Great Pics. I love this area. Try it in September. No bugs and the leaves are starting to turn.

Pringles
07-01-2009, 16:48

I have some friends who wait until late August *every year*, then go to the Logslide (top of the big dune) and slide/run down. Then they walk and swim over to the Au Sable Point lighthouse and walk back on the trail.

Yes, the bugs go away in September and October. If it's not too cold too early, November is magnificent and a little lonely. If you can deal with the winters here, the summers are incredible.

As to swimming in Superior, I'll practice kayak rolls and wet exits in the pool and nearby inland lakes, and even Lake Huron, but I'm not going in The Lake. Nope. No way.

Pringles

peanuts
07-01-2009, 18:02
i need to get back there!!! i love the place

and its not too cold to swim in lake superior( i know i am crazy)

great kayaking also!!!!

ChinMusic
07-01-2009, 18:21
Next time I'd like to incorporate kayaking in with the backpacking. Maybe have 4 people, 2 hiking, 2 kayaking, meet at a reserved campsite, swap out roles the next day....repeat.

sheepdog
07-02-2009, 16:23
Next time I'd like to incorporate kayaking in with the backpacking. Maybe have 4 people, 2 hiking, 2 kayaking, meet at a reserved campsite, swap out roles the next day....repeat.
Now that's an idea. You really have to watch the weather when you kayak. If a storm comes up when you are in the cliffs, you could come down with a bad case of dead.

ChinMusic
07-02-2009, 16:54
Now that's an idea. You really have to watch the weather when you kayak. If a storm comes up when you are in the cliffs, you could come down with a bad case of dead.
That would make for a bad day.

conmcb25
07-02-2009, 18:22
Occasionally Superior gets warm enough in the Pictured Rocks area to swim. I remember one year at the Twelve Mile Beach and at the Chapel Falls campsite we went swimming. Could stay in the water for close to an hour, fairly comfortable. Granted, these situations are rare and depend a lot on time of year, currents, and how warm the summer has been - but they do occasionally happen.

Swimming in Superior has everything to do with wind direction and being in the right place to take advantage of that wind. You need an onshore breeze for a day or two and it blows all the warm surface water into a bay or something similar.

I can remember trying to swim in Misery Bay (Southwest of Houghton, north of the Porcies and Ontonagon.) twice in July. One week it was the usual cold as heck, and another week, it was like swimming in bath water, I was in the lake literally for hours. That was because of a perfect west wind, just enugh to blow the surface water into shore.

Now back when I as in college at "Da Tech" in Houghton, a spring rite of passage was to go to Misery Bay after the ice was out, build a huge bonfire on the beech, get falling down drunk, and jump in. Despite the liquor, you didn't stay in long. It was a great spring fever cure though ;)

World-Wide
07-03-2009, 00:46
I've been invited to hike this trail (40ish miles) in the UP of Michigan in late June. It has been on my list of places to hike. I understand that it is a very easy trail and VERY scenic. I think I would take my good camera equip with me.

Couple questions:

Is this a good time of year for this trail?

Is late June prime bug season?

Is the soil sandy at the designated campsites to the point that I might have trouble with tent stakes (Lunar Solo = stakes under tension)?

Hey ChinMusic,
Regardless of where I'm at in the world, almost every June/July I head to Iron Mountain (Lost Lake) with my cousin and several other avid fishermen to reel in big northerns, wall-eye and crappie! That time of the year is absolutely beautiful! It can get a bit warm during the day, but the nights are awesome! If you're near a small lake/large pond, the call of the loons are magical. I can almost guarantee you'll see a black bear during your hike! :) Never had a problem with bugs except for what I think was either the 2001 or 2002 fishing season? They had a problem with catepillars that were dessimating the leaves of trees throughout the U.P. so the DNR released a "Black Fly" population that ate the catepillars during their early stage of life. What sounded like a good idea spread to be a Black Fly infestation. Thank goodness the species weren't extreme biters, but having 20-40 flys on you at any time is a bit unnerving! :eek: Mesquito's can suck at times also! Have a great hike!! :D W-W

World-Wide
07-03-2009, 00:51
Hey ChinMusic,
Regardless of where I'm at in the world, almost every June/July I head to Iron Mountain (Lost Lake) with my cousin and several other avid fishermen to reel in big northerns, wall-eye and crappie! That time of the year is absolutely beautiful! It can get a bit warm during the day, but the nights are awesome! If you're near a small lake/large pond, the call of the loons are magical. I can almost guarantee you'll see a black bear during your hike! :) Never had a problem with bugs except for what I think was either the 2001 or 2002 fishing season? They had a problem with catepillars that were dessimating the leaves of trees throughout the U.P. so the DNR released a "Black Fly" population that ate the catepillars during their early stage of life. What sounded like a good idea spread to be a Black Fly infestation. Thank goodness the species weren't extreme biters, but having 20-40 flys on you at any time is a bit unnerving! :eek: Mesquito's can suck at times also! Have a great hike!! :D W-W

Oops, guess I missed the "Pictured Rock" part! :o Scratch my post unless its near the area you anticipate hiking! (don't think so though!) W-W

jrwiesz
07-03-2009, 03:06
I was in the "Porkies" in 2002 packing with my two son's, and the black flies were indeed exceptional that year.

The breakfast of bacon and eggs were delicious; once you got past the realization that one couldn't tell the difference between the pepper and the black flies. High protein boost to your eggs, YUM!:sun

I'm sure the whole of the UP and NCT was awash in the critters that year.

Great photos of your journey, thanks for sharing ChinMusic.

World-Wide
07-03-2009, 08:27
[quote=jrwiesz;862916]The breakfast of bacon and eggs were delicious; once you got past the realization that one couldn't tell the difference between the pepper and the black flies. High protein boost to your eggs, YUM!:sun

LOL..............:D W-W

Odd Man Out
10-17-2009, 23:23
Last time I was at PR it was 98 deg and humid. Swimming was definitely possible. But this is VERY rare.

Also, about 25 years ago I went on a day hike to spray falls (see picture 13 in the ChinMusic's great slide show). We had a picnic on the rock ledge right by the falls. To get a better view of the falls, I carefully worked my way to the edge of the cliff. I recall there was a small tree right at the edge that somehow made me feel a little less exposed so I could get right to the edge (with my foot right on the base of the tree trunk). On the hike back out, I took a picture from the same viewpoint at ChinMusic's picture. It wasn't until I got home and developed the roll of film that I noticed that the tree keeping me from going over the edge was really on a rather precarious overhang and there was only a few inches of rock between me and some unexpected swimming a hundred feet down!

Haven't backpacked there yet (only these day trips). Looking forward to it! I am not so young and stupid anymore and will stay away from the edge!