PDA

View Full Version : Thru hiking with a GUITAR

bisco Drew
05-26-2009, 14:11
I realize that 2-3 POUNDS for a luxury sounds like a ridiculous idea to entertain. However I'm thinking of bringing a light weight axe for my thru hike.

It would be worth it to me to bring this item; I would have to make room for it. And I'll probably attempt this regardless of outside opinion. I was just wondering if anyone has seen someone do this? I could imagine nothing better then sitting on a mountaintop and playing a little music

flemdawg1
05-26-2009, 14:26
Please just leave it at home, your fellow hikers will thank you.

NativePennsylvanian
05-26-2009, 14:26
Yeah I've seen it and other instruments on the AT. Just remember not everyone is as big a fan of your music as your are.

makoboy
05-26-2009, 14:35
I could imagine nothing better then sitting on a mountaintop and playing a little music

I can, the peace, quiet and serenity of a mountaintop.

CowHead
05-26-2009, 14:36
what happens when you slip and fall and smash it to bits, I quess you could then used it as fire wood

NativePennsylvanian
05-26-2009, 14:41
yeah, just pack out those strings and frets. they won't burn

zoidfu
05-26-2009, 14:42
Don't do ****ing monty python **** either

Gray Blazer
05-26-2009, 14:44
Claves are much easier to carry.

CowHead
05-26-2009, 14:56
2 spoons also work well or a harmonica

JokerJersey
05-26-2009, 15:15
Quick story in relation to the comment about everyone not liking your music as much as you do...

Was out this past weekend on a hiking trip. First night we stayed at a site that had drive-in access. Camping right across from each other were a large group of latinos and a large group of college kids. One of the college kids had his acoustic guitar with him and brought it out later in the evening to play. His neighbors didn't like it. They proceeded to turn thier car stereos up louder to drown him out. He then proceeded to play louder, which in turn led to them turning up thier stereos even more. Eventually the situation dissolved into a shouting match and after about 20 minutes of this, someone got pissed enough to call the State Park Police, which wound up wrecking everyones fun.

Not saying the car stereo thing would happen on the AT, but the moral of the story remains the same. Getting into a fist fight because someone had a bad day and you wanted to play some tunes while they wanted to sleep isn't the way I'd want to end my day. And pissing someone off just so you can enjoy your own music isn't exactly a considerate thing to do.

I personally go out into the woods to get away from the noise and bustle of the modern world, not to go to an acoustic jam band festival. Some people won't mind. Others will. If you're respectful about it, I personally don't see a problem with it. If it's late and you're still out there jamming with your buddies though while others are trying to sleep...that's an a-hole move. Also, sound carries a long way at night, so just because you think you're alone doesn't mean you aren't bothering someone who is trying to sleep who is still within earshot.

As for the weight...HYOH. If you're willing to carry it, then carry it.

Chaco Taco
05-26-2009, 15:31
I realize that 2-3 POUNDS for a luxury sounds like a ridiculous idea to entertain. However I'm thinking of bringing a light weight axe for my thru hike.

It would be worth it to me to bring this item; I would have to make room for it. And I'll probably attempt this regardless of outside opinion. I was just wondering if anyone has seen someone do this? I could imagine nothing better then sitting on a mountaintop and playing a little music

Yo Bisco, lots of hikers carry a guitar on their thru. Just be respectful of others at night. Dont let the comments prior to this make or break your decision. There are alot of instruments on the trail. Its just a matter of if you want to carry the extra weight. They make backpacking guitars. Heard lots of awesome jam sessions last year and really enjoyed it.

flemdawg1
05-26-2009, 15:42
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o-SuRXwK5o

JokerJersey
05-26-2009, 15:47
Yo Bisco, lots of hikers carry a guitar on their thru. Just be respectful of others at night. Dont let the comments prior to this make or break your decision. There are alot of instruments on the trail. Its just a matter of if you want to carry the extra weight. They make backpacking guitars. Heard lots of awesome jam sessions last year and really enjoyed it.

That's kinda what I was getting at. If you bring your guitar out and someone asks you to keep it down, completely ignoring them isn't cool. If you respect those around you, I doubt you'll have a problem and can enjoy your music anywhere you want, however you want.

Rockhound
05-26-2009, 15:47
If you are a talented musician then by all means bring it. Before you go just have your talent verified by a few unbiased third parties. Having mastered "Smoke on the water" and "A horse with no name" does not qualify you as a talented musician.

Lone Wolf
05-26-2009, 15:55
Having mastered "Smoke on the water" and "A horse with no name" does not qualify you as a talented musician.

or any freakin' Dead songs either :rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
05-26-2009, 16:13
Rockhound's wrong. In my experience, EVERY hiker packing a guitar, harmonica, flute, mouth harp, drum, whatever, without exception fervently believes that they are extraordinarily talented musicians and that at day's end, everyone in camp is simply dying to hear them play and sing, and well into the night, too.

I heartily assure you that 99% of these people are mistaken on both counts.

Rockhound
05-26-2009, 16:17
I'm always wrong Jack. Everyone knows that. But if you'll notice I did say to get unbiased 3rd party opinions to verify ones talent. One of these days I just might surprise you and actually be right about something.

Jack Tarlin
05-26-2009, 16:26
When it happens, Rock, I'll surely let you know.

But most Trail musicians are pretty awful, truth be told.

Trail instuments belong in the same place most Trail dogs do.

Which is at home, where other people don't have to deal with them.

10-K
05-26-2009, 16:29
If you are a talented musician then by all means bring it. Before you go just have your talent verified by a few unbiased third parties. Having mastered "Smoke on the water" and "A horse with no name" does not qualify you as a talented musician.

I can play the intro to Stairway to Heaven, does that qualify?

Rockhound
05-26-2009, 16:31
That's it. I'm takin' up the harmonica. Hope to see ya out there Jack.:D

SelfRevolution37
05-26-2009, 16:37
I think it's a ****ing sweet idea. The woods are big as hell. I personally wouldn't mind listening to someone play I think it would be ****ing sick as hell. But if not, who cares its the ****ing woods theres plenty of space! And hey, if you've got a problem, just go up to the guy, say hey it's getting a little late can you take that a little farther away from me I'm about to hit the hay. That's all. I think it would be really festive to hear some music on the trail and badass to carry a guitar.

1azarus
05-26-2009, 16:44
buy a flea "fluke" from www.fleamarketmusic.com/. lightest stringed instrument around, plastic warp-free body, easy to play -- similar chord fingering to guitar, and with four strings you can be a uke god. great sound, too.

Foyt20
05-26-2009, 16:47
I think it's a ****ing sweet idea. The woods are big as hell. I personally wouldn't mind listening to someone play I think it would be ****ing sick as hell. But if not, who cares its the ****ing woods theres plenty of space! And hey, if you've got a problem, just go up to the guy, say hey it's getting a little late can you take that a little farther away from me I'm about to hit the hay. That's all. I think it would be really festive to hear some music on the trail and badass to carry a guitar.

Now now Self, this is a "family" site. :D

The issue comes from when you do walk up to someone and ask them, and the tell you to GFY, and then there is an issue. But some people are just to sensitive. I personally would just put my ipod on and fall asleep to a good, boring crackberry.com podcast :D

Slo-go'en
05-26-2009, 17:00
Have seen a fair number of people start the trail with a guitar, but haven't seen anyone finish the trail with one. The novelity wares out about the Smokies and by then your desprite to get rid of everything and anything you don't absolutely have to carry.

man2th
05-26-2009, 17:04
leave the guitar at home,,,,bring a banjo and a pair of overalls....the looks at the shelters will be priceless..lol

Karrmer
05-26-2009, 17:08

This post was hilarious

SICK AS HELL BROSKI

LockJaww
05-26-2009, 18:39
Oh joy...We get to hear the nextel peoples phones go beep with every transmission...the text messaging phones go click/beep with every message and ANOTHER John Denver wannabee ...Maybe somebodys wet stinky dog can shake itself off onto everybody in sight in rhythm to your tune.....
Stealth camp please.....FAR away from others....

LockJaww
05-26-2009, 18:40
Anybody know the difference between a four string banjo and a five string?
The five string will burn longer....

Egads
05-26-2009, 18:45
Just bring your Ipod & Air Guitar

Chaco Taco
05-26-2009, 18:54
Dont listen to em dude. Take the guitar if you want to, just stay away from shelters because most of those people are no fun and try to pick fights with people even when you stay up talking past dark. You do what you want.

A good friend of mine, Hobojoe carried his guitar from Springer to Katahdin.

Hey Jack, you didnt seem to mind when Johnny Thunder was playing at Tricorner last year. Im just sayin, lotta talk! You even requested Johnny Cash and got it!!!:rolleyes:

TJ aka Teej
05-26-2009, 18:56
A few years back in Baxter I met T-Bird who carried her guitar all the way. Saw her again at a Hanover Gathering, where I took her up to Billville. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=1701&catid=member&imageuser=314
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=1701&catid=member&imageuser=314

CrumbSnatcher
05-26-2009, 18:58
take the guitar!!! I carried a backpacker guitar off & on over the years. i suck at playing it, but it sure was fun!!!:)

Chaco Taco
05-26-2009, 19:00
take the guitar!!! I carried a backpacker guitar off & on over the years. i suck at playing it, but it sure was fun!!!:)

AND that is what it is all about!!!!

Egads
05-26-2009, 19:00
Dude wants a chick magnet

Chaco Taco
05-26-2009, 19:03
Most people that bitch about guitars are wannabe's, like me, that cant even play and know that they will never learn. Musicians always seem to find each other, especially on the trail!

Lemni Skate
05-26-2009, 19:22
If you're trying to decide between a guitar and a dog...take the guitar.

Seriously, I met one thru-hiker (Okay we were only 15 miles north of Springer so he may not have made it) who had a mandolin. He was going to LEARN how to play it on the trail. I'm pretty sure I didn't want to be around when he was LEARNING. There were a couple guys there who knew how to play and the thing was so out of tune it took them about 30 minutes just to tune it. By then everyone thought better of a concert no I never got to hear it.

Chaco Taco
05-26-2009, 19:38

Come on, pay attention dude!:rolleyes:

d'shadow
05-26-2009, 19:39
Many names has been carrying one since Springer, she is in Virginia...though, I have heard she does not play it.

Chaco Taco
05-26-2009, 19:40

Seriously, I met one thru-hiker (Okay we were only 15 miles north of Springer so he may not have made it) who had a mandolin. He was going to LEARN how to play it on the trail. I'm pretty sure I didn't want to be around when he was LEARNING. There were a couple guys there who knew how to play and the thing was so out of tune it took them about 30 minutes just to tune it. By then everyone thought better of a concert no I never got to hear it.

Met a guy that got a mandolin in NC and by the time he was in VT, he was awesome. Fact is there is an eclectic group of people on the trail and not everyone is going to be happy. No need to wall on egg shells.

DavidNH
05-26-2009, 19:44
If you can make room in your pack, definitely bring your guitar.

I remember when I hiked the trail there where a couple guys from Virginia who brought banjos. It was wonderful to listen to them strum!

David

Chaco Taco
05-26-2009, 19:45
If you can make room in your pack, definitely bring your guitar.

I remember when I hiked the trail there where a couple guys from Virginia who brought banjos. It was wonderful to listen to them strum!

David

Man I love the banjo!!

Jim Adams
05-26-2009, 20:03

Take the guitar!...if you're going to leave something home...leave the hammock! There is nothing more annoying than not being able to walk between trees!:D
Actually there were alot of BPing guitars on the trail in 2002 and the music during hiking breaks and evenings was great.

geek

geek

Chaco Taco
05-26-2009, 20:08
Take the guitar!...if you're going to leave something home...leave the hammock! There is nothing more annoying than not being able to walk between trees!:D
Actually there were alot of BPing guitars on the trail in 2002 and the music during hiking breaks and evenings was great.

geek

geek

Yep and now you have one:D

Rockhound
05-26-2009, 20:18
I'm having second thoughts. Perhaps it better to listen to the debates at shelters by those who have opinions on everything and watch them pass judgement on every hiker they meet. "Your all wrong if...." "You'll never make it if you..." "Dogs have no place on the the trail...." "Meat is murder...." "A vegan diet is impossible on the trail....." "Your going to hell if you don''t accept Jesus....." "Bush should be tried for war crimes....." "Obama is going to ruin this country....." Wait. I'm having second thoughts again. Maybe a nice acoustic guitar with a banjo accompanyment could drown some of that crap out.

Jayboflavin04
05-27-2009, 00:06
I would like to take my friend Atom Lax with me. This dude can PLAY. I would carry him with me but he is a large dude. He is 20 somethin and makes plays some really beautiful music.

Check out his myspace. I bet even the GREAT JACK TARLIN would dig this dude.

http://www.myspace.com/atomlaxmusic

Reid
05-27-2009, 00:36
I got one for about 40 bucks on ebay. She was a one trick pony, but she sure was a good ride.

Reid
05-27-2009, 00:37
I'm having second thoughts. Perhaps it better to listen to the debates at shelters by those who have opinions on everything and watch them pass judgement on every hiker they meet. "Your all wrong if...." "You'll never make it if you..." "Dogs have no place on the the trail...." "Meat is murder...." "A vegan diet is impossible on the trail....." "Your going to hell if you don''t accept Jesus....." "Bush should be tried for war crimes....." "Obama is going to ruin this country....." Wait. I'm having second thoughts again. Maybe a nice acoustic guitar with a banjo accompanyment could drown some of that crap out.

Wolves in sheep clothing

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-27-2009, 01:27
I got one for about 40 bucks on ebay. She was a one trick pony, but she sure was a good ride.
I have been eyeballin one myself, if nothing else it would be a nice addition to my guitar collection, because as bad as I play I would hate to make others listen to me play my dozen songs which comprise of 6 or 7 chords lol. I do like playin when I am on the move though, there is nothing better when sitting in camp and bored then to bring out a guitar, most people know a song or 2 it seems, and you get to learn a lot of new songs, pluss u get a lot of cool jam sessions with people drumming on a bass drum, on pots, or sticks, or spoons, and sometimes harmonicas. I wonder though how they hold up on the trail and how well they would pack.

fiddlehead
05-27-2009, 01:52
Take the guitar!
I have taken mine on 3 of my thru-hikes.
I don't necessarily entertain others unless they ask.
But they ask a lot!

I tend to camp by myself or with my close friends and try to play it once a day (not always possible)

Those 3 thru-hikes that i took it on have enabled me to become a professional musician with a repertoire of over 140 songs now.
I couldn't have accomplished that without taking it along.

Tuba-man was the most incredible musician i have seen out there.

ps. i never fell and broke one although the desert in NM and lack of humidity was tough on my Martin backpacker (they gave me a new one for free)

Heater
05-27-2009, 02:36
I usually don't give a crap but the second you mentioned the word "Axe" I had visions of some yay-hoo trying to eek out their own special version of "eruption" on a Martin Backpacker.

Please. Leave the "axe" at home.

The Mechanical Man
05-27-2009, 03:00
Stop talkng about it, .......do it.
The Martin Guitar factory is only 15 minutes away from Smith Gap Pa.

http://www.martinguitar.com/

Canada Goose
05-27-2009, 22:06
A very interesting link, MM.I would have never imagined there could be a factory stock $100,000 guitar available. You'd have to be pretty brave to take this one out on the trail. Yikes!

RAT
05-27-2009, 22:37
Rockhound's wrong. In my experience, EVERY hiker packing a guitar, harmonica, flute, mouth harp, drum, whatever, without exception fervently believes that they are extraordinarily talented musicians and that at day's end, everyone in camp is simply dying to hear them play and sing, and well into the night, too.

I heartily assure you that 99% of these people are mistaken on both counts.

Guess that puts me in that 1% there Jack ;) But I wont be paying $109k for ANY guitar nor will I be carrying one when hiking any distance but you will find me jamming out at any getogethers with my hiker trash friends.

HAIRNT !

Tinker
05-27-2009, 23:16
http://www.compositeacoustics.com/Files/Product/Cargo_277/The_Cargo_90.asp

As soon as / if I ever can afford it, this is what I'm thinking of buying.

stranger
05-28-2009, 22:53
It's done every single year, just remember that other hikers may not appreciate guitar playing during their wilderness experience. Personally, I don't mind, I'm a musician of almost 20 years, but it's kinda like cell phones, many people go on the trail to escape that stuff.

Hoop Time
05-29-2009, 07:57
Dude wants a chick magnet

Then he should buy a Corvette.

Chaco Taco
05-29-2009, 08:56
It's done every single year, just remember that other hikers may not appreciate guitar playing during their wilderness experience. Personally, I don't mind, I'm a musician of almost 20 years, but it's kinda like cell phones, many people go on the trail to escape that stuff.

Its totally different than cell phones!

warraghiyagey
05-29-2009, 09:01

It's like many other issues on the trail. . . smoking, cell phones, etc. . . . . conscientious hikers will ask others how they feel about it first. . .

Agreed. . . :)

Chaco Taco
05-29-2009, 09:07

Listening to someone playing and hearing someone's speakerphone or yelling into a speaker so the person on the other line goes in two different categories. The guitar has always been apart of some wilderness experiences, sitting around the campfire, playing koobayah. The preference is just different. I remember watching a guy last year at a shelter walk around with his speaker phone blasting as he listened to his 20 unheard messages.

warraghiyagey
05-29-2009, 09:09
I remember watching a guy last year at a shelter walk around with his speaker phone blasting as he listened to his 20 unheard messages.
He wouldn't have made it to his 2nd message if I'd been there. . . straight up. . .

JAK
05-29-2009, 09:41
I'm totally cool with any non-electronic musical instruments in the woods, including pipes and drums, maybe even tubas and trombones, just as long as the musicians know when to stop when it doesn't go over well with the audience. Alot of musical instruments and music goes very well in a natural setting, including bag pipes in the right setting, and if the mood is right. Love the pipes.

chknfngrs
05-29-2009, 09:45
You should do what you want to do and not listen to any of us toads. HYOH.

I've never had a bad experience with music/musicians on the trail. If anything, I let them do their thing (good, bad, or ugly) as it is not my place to do otherwise. If they suck, they suck. If they're good, they're good.

I have never brought my guitar, ukulele, or banjo on a backpacking trip (different story for car-camping, we actually bring recording equipment). The way I look at it, distance makes the heart grow fonder. I feel like I appreciate the instrument more after any hiatus like a backpacking trip.

But like I said, do what you want to do. Any one of the WB posters could be right or dead wrong.

JAK
05-29-2009, 09:50
Flowers of the Forest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO0qkvdI5UQ

Maddog
05-29-2009, 09:52
unless you're f-ing awesome leave it at home!!! please!!!

warraghiyagey
05-29-2009, 09:54
unless you're f-ing awesome leave it at home!!! please!!!
Well, lot's of times you're alone when ya camp, worth bringin it if you just want to play, or learn. . .

JAK
05-29-2009, 09:57
Here's a lass in Arizona doing a grand job of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYBAhJxtXME

chknfngrs
05-29-2009, 10:05
Nice! Thanks for posting those. I'm not sure how I would react if I rounded the bend on a trail and heard someone playing the bagpipes like that...I'd probably stop dead in my tracks and listen.

makoboy
05-29-2009, 10:06
HYOH indeed. But your right to HYOH with a guitar ends within earshot of everyone else. It is exactly like cellphones, smoking, or spreading your gear out all over the shelter floor. Just bc its "music" doesnt make it any less of an offense

Additionally, I cant comment on the talent of anyone who has posted here, but i liken it to American Idol...only 1% of the people that think they can sing, really can. Chances are most people out there with guitars really arent that good either.

JAK
05-29-2009, 10:56
It is NOT exactly like cellphones and smoking and spreading your gear out.

You still have to check and ask first, but people should have a little more tollerance especially if most of the other people might appreciate the music.

JAK
05-29-2009, 10:58
If 3 or 4 of us were listening to a piper making a half decent show of it, and you came around the corner with that attitude, I would tell you to shut the **** up and keep hiking.

Wags
05-29-2009, 11:06
there was a guy i met at camp (we did same mileage, different paces) a few times this past section hike who was playing a ukelele and was very good. i gotta say i liked camp more then than other times. especially as opposed to listening to some old head saying 'oh this one time we....' or 'i remember in NC in '85 we...' over and over. that douchebag was more annoying than any instrument could possibly be

JAK
05-29-2009, 11:13
there was a guy i met at camp (we did same mileage, different paces) a few times this past section hike who was playing a ukelele and was very good. i gotta say i liked camp more then than other times. especially as opposed to listening to some old head saying 'oh this one time we....' or 'i remember in NC in '85 we...' over and over. that douchebag was more annoying than any instrument could possibly beExactly.
I for one am actually fun to have around if there's someone else there playing.

JAK
05-29-2009, 11:25
Foggy Mountain Breakdown - on David Letterman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrlqQ1_vZVE

Foggy Mountain Special
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCYCCuJLIaA

makoboy
05-29-2009, 11:28
people should have a little more tollerance especially if most of the other people might appreciate the music.

Sounds suspiciously like a tyranny of the majority. You have to be careful with that one...sooner or later you will be in the minority.

So one person is playing guitar, everyone despises it, but no one says anything bc somone else "might" appreciate it.

JAK
05-29-2009, 11:39
So ban all music then. Yeah right.

JAK
05-29-2009, 11:41
Yet there's nothing wrong with a couple of morons like you and me arguing. lol

JAK
05-29-2009, 11:45
Time for another musical interlude:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JUtg8uL5rY

Nearly Normal
05-29-2009, 13:03

Another reason for tenting.

chknfngrs
05-29-2009, 14:45
Music in the Woods is Not a Crime.

I need to learn the tin whistle.

Chaco Taco
05-29-2009, 15:02
It is exactly like cellphones, smoking, or spreading your gear out all over the shelter floor.

Couldnt be further from the truth.:rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
05-29-2009, 15:03
Sounds suspiciously like a tyranny of the majority. You have to be careful with that one...sooner or later you will be in the minority.

So one person is playing guitar, everyone despises it, but no one says anything bc somone else "might" appreciate it.

Ill bet you are a republican

makoboy
05-29-2009, 15:10
[quote=chknfngrs;845456]Music in the Woods is Not a Crime.
quote]

The person sitting next to you smoking in a shelter isnt criminal either.

makoboy
05-29-2009, 15:14
Another reason for tenting.

Agreed, unfortunately there are alot of places in the northeast where tenting is restricted to established areas.

flemdawg1
05-29-2009, 15:26
Ill bet you are a republican

Is that really necessary?

Chaco Taco
05-29-2009, 15:47
Is that really necessary?

Just call em like I see em.

stranger
05-31-2009, 03:59
I don't think it's as simple as people make it out to be, and perhaps the analogy to cell phones wasn't the best, but even if you ask others if it's cool to jam most hikers would not say "no, it's not alright", they will say it's fine and be annoyed.

Now, like I said before, I'm not that hiker, and I have enjoyed countless hours of guitar listening, sometimes even playing myself, along the AT. My point was that other hikers might not appreciate guitar playing, and someone's opinion on whether or not it's part of the wilderness experience will not change that.

So in effect, by bringing a guitar you are potentially having a negative impact on others trail experience, and even if someone does tell you they don't appreciate your playing, well that just makes the whole situation awkward from then onwards.

And again, I would probably appreciate your playing, regardless of how accomplished a musician you are, I like music and do enjoy hearing it next to a campfire. The point remains however, that many other hikers do not, and that point is not debatable.

And a funny thing about guitars, I've seen lots of people carry them, I've seen very few actually use them... never understood that one.

I will say however, if you get the chance to listen to someone like Hobojoe play, you might change your minds, the guy f'ing rips.

Chaco Taco
05-31-2009, 15:16
I

I will say however, if you get the chance to listen to someone like Hobojoe play, you might change your minds, the guy f'ing rips.

I used to live with him and it was awesome sitting around the firepit 3 nights a week and getting to hear him play!

chknfngrs
05-31-2009, 17:16
Who is hobojoe? sounds interesting...

WILLIAM HAYES
05-31-2009, 20:35
leave it at home I for one don't want to listen to someone try to impress everyone with their musical talent If you want to do the campfire sing along crap go to church camp thats where it belongs not in a shelter on the AT
Hillbilly

stranger
05-31-2009, 22:34
So it's fine as long as it's not in shelters then? I might argue that shelters aren't a part of the trail experience, but that's another thread.

I don't think anyone is out there to "impress" others with their talent, well alteast not by playing guitar.

Pony
06-02-2009, 17:04
Music in the Woods is Not a Crime.

I need to learn the tin whistle.

I met a guy in Damascus who was biking across country with one, he was really good, even played it by blowing through his nose.

I also ran into Hobojoe a few times and was always happy when he broke out his guitar.

What I am truly amazed by is all the issues like instruments, smoking, dogs, etc., etc, that only seem to be issues on the internet.

Oh yeah, bring your guitar.

Chaco Taco
06-02-2009, 18:21
leave it at home I for one don't want to listen to someone try to impress everyone with their musical talent If you want to do the campfire sing along crap go to church camp thats where it belongs not in a shelter on the AT
Hillbilly

Oh wow!!!!!:rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
06-02-2009, 18:22
Who is hobojoe? sounds interesting...

A hiker with a guitar that happens to be an amazing musician:D

laherb
06-02-2009, 19:39
Hillbilly

i plan on taking a banjo. don't worry i play clawhammer and not that three finger stuff. if it annoys you i'll be sure to sit closer to you and play louder. that should get things rolling again. haha... i too don't care for musicians that think themselves and there songs are great unless if they really are.

Wise Old Owl
06-02-2009, 20:19
Full size ? find something a little smaller - Banjo? Wow someone already mentioned it.

OH heck hike your own hike you can always mail it back.

laherb
06-02-2009, 21:04
Full size ? find something a little smaller - Banjo? Wow someone already mentioned it.

OH heck hike your own hike you can always mail it back.

there's no way i'd carry a full size. i'm building a fretless travel banjo. the pot is 7" and the scale length is 17". should be small enough to not get tired if lugging around.

Phlashlite
06-02-2009, 21:08
Dr. Ziplock and Wolf Taffy had a guitar/banjo in 2007. I think all the hikers enjoyed the music in the evening. I know it is one of my favorite memories.

Johnny Thunder
06-03-2009, 10:27
I can't make the talent judgment for you...at least not on this side of the screen. What I can say is this:

As a real musician (read: real guitar player) I realize that you must ALWAYS play on quality instruments. For my ear there is nothing worse than a tiny, hollow backpacking guitar. No way, no how. HoBo's guitar comes close, but not all the way. The pawn shop 3/4ths sized guitar I bought in Erwin was fun for other people to hear but not for me to play. I eventually realized that I was never going to be satisfied by any instrument that wasn't the one I had sitting at home. I chose instead to let full-sized guitars find me at places like feeds, hostels, homes, etc. That way it's more like a treat to get to play AND you're less likely to run into someone who doesn't wan to hear you.

I do consider myself a bit of a talent, not radio material mind you, but people do hand me the guitar without my prompting and make requests. But, I still felt a bit out of sorts playing in places besides large campfire parties and the like.

Johnny Thunder
06-03-2009, 10:36
Two more things (since I'm WAY more awake than I though).

That two pound is more like 4.5 when you really get down to it. Try carrying that past Neels when you haven't played it at all during the 4 blistering cold days it took you to walk there. If anything, mail yourself the guitar after Hot Springs.

Baltimore Jack, and I can only assume he's on here having not read any of the thread except your initial post, has a habit of hating on trail musicians. And, I understand his points...most lack talent and all take over campfires and shelters regardless of who wants to hear. Now, Jack is one of the most intelligent people I've ever known, but I did hike with him in an election year. So, for me, his taking-over-shelters/campfires/hostels-by-making-noise-people-don't-want-to-hear-argument is completely out the window.

A final note on Jack....if you learn the songs they play at Fenway during Red Socks games he typically clams up. Like, Psycho Killer and Sweet Caroline. I charmed him with a stream of consciousness tale of lost potential and broken dreams where a guy wants to go down on Madonna so bad but he eventually does it too soon and then his life is wrecked from there on in.

sherrill
06-03-2009, 12:00
I choose not to stay in shelters. Folks playing musical instruments is one of the reasons. Others include mice, snoring, farting, crowding, plus I find shelters nasty and not why I am spending time in the woods. That's just my preference and in no way am I saying that yours are wrong.

If you choose to camp around a large group of people then inevitably someone is going to do something that will annoy you. It's your choice to stay or move on.

callook66
06-05-2009, 06:37
No guitars please... i get bombarded with it enough from my brothers...