PDA

View Full Version : Baking cakes

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-26-2009, 21:31
I bought these microwave cakes this week that you just add water then pour the caramel on the top and microwave for 30 seconds. I wonder how difficult it would be to fix one in camp, I was thinking I would just take the bag of powder and the bag of caramel and throw them in my pack, as for preparing I am thinking I can just mix it in my pan then cover it and put it close to a fire. Has anyone tried this if so does this work or should I try another way?

sarbar
05-26-2009, 21:49
They steam perfectly. Mix in the bowl, then float on simmering water in a covered pot. You can use the bowl or use whatever you want.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-26-2009, 21:54
Awesome my my cook set has the pan as a lid and can fit into the pot right side up for steaming. I will do that thank you.

Gaiter
05-27-2009, 00:46
make a standard issue box cake, slice it thin and dehydrate it, put into individual serving baggies, just add warm water and instant warm moist cake on the trail

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-27-2009, 01:40
done the dry cake thing and it was ok but not great and it was heavier than these. The ones I have are Betty Crocker Warm Delights. They weigh less than a gram, and are 130 calories. They cook in 30 seconds in the microwave, so I am sure they would cook in camp in no time flat. I will try everyones suggestions in cooking them b4 my next hike

Hikes in Rain
05-27-2009, 05:35
A little off topic, but I have baked cakes in the campfire using an orange. Slice part of it off, about 3/4 the way down. Scoop the orange out of the larger section, fill it about 2/3 full with instant cake batter (think we used Jiffy), put the section with the orange still in back on, and wrap in foil. Lay gently in the coals for ten to 15 minutes, more or less. Experiment on time, I'm not all that sure of it. The juice drips down to flavor the cake. Especially fun with kids, even the old kids like me.

World-Wide
05-27-2009, 05:55
I bought these microwave cakes this week that you just add water then pour the caramel on the top and microwave for 30 seconds. I wonder how difficult it would be to fix one in camp, I was thinking I would just take the bag of powder and the bag of caramel and throw them in my pack, as for preparing I am thinking I can just mix it in my pan then cover it and put it close to a fire. Has anyone tried this if so does this work or should I try another way?

When you have the recipe squared-away, I hope to meet you on the trail when I have a sweet tooth! :p

LaurieAnn
05-27-2009, 08:03
For those of you who like to use a camp oven such as the Outback Oven or Bakepacker here is a recipe from the book A Fork in the Trail. A little bit of effort but totally worth it, of course, this isn't for the thru-hiker.

Peach Gingersnap Cake

I adapted this recipe from one of my favorite childhood treats, my mom's hot water gingerbread. The peaches pair nicely with the spice, and using commercially prepared dried peaches eliminates the need for a dehydrator. A dollop of vanilla pudding is a delicious topping for this dessert.

Makes 3-4 servings

1 tablespoon powdered egg
1/8 cup white sugar
1/8 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup dark molasses
1/2 cup dried peach slices
1/4 cup hot water

At Home
Package the powdered egg in a small ziplock bag. Combine the remaining dry ingredients and pour them in another ziplock bag. Place molasses in a small leakproof jar. Put the peaches slices into another freezer bag. Place the freezer bags and the jar of molasses in a larger ziplock bag. Pack the butter with the other butter you are taking on your trip.

At Camp
Chop the peaches into pieces and put them in a little boiling water. Let sit until they're rehydrated and then drain. Meanwhile cream 1/8 cup of butter and 1/8 cup of sugar together. In a separate cup or bowl, mix the powdered egg and 1 tablespoon of water, stirring until all the lumps are gone. Add egg and molasses to the butter mixture and then beat until well combined.

Give the dried ingredients in the ziplock bag a good stir and then add them to the butter mixture. Stir until combined. Slowly add 1/4 cup hot water while stirring. When well combined add the drained peaches.

Line the bottom and sides of a pot or pan with parchment paper. Pour the batter in the pan. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly before serving.

Tip
If you have leftovers, wrap them and eat them for breakfast the next day.

ShoelessWanderer
06-02-2009, 17:10
A little off topic, but I have baked cakes in the campfire using an orange. Slice part of it off, about 3/4 the way down. Scoop the orange out of the larger section, fill it about 2/3 full with instant cake batter (think we used Jiffy), put the section with the orange still in back on, and wrap in foil. Lay gently in the coals for ten to 15 minutes, more or less. Experiment on time, I'm not all that sure of it. The juice drips down to flavor the cake. Especially fun with kids, even the old kids like me.

Works great with blueberry (or whatever flavor) muffin mix. Nice warm breakfast, that's something different than oatmeal.