PDA

View Full Version : New Hostel

Captain
05-26-2009, 21:43
Just wondering and trying to get a census here. At what point along the AT is it felt there is need for a new hostel? i expect there to be some love them/hate them commentary as is the case with shelters...dogs...women...BUT i was just curious has there been a point where you guys have just went " there needs to be a hostel right HERE right now"

Lone Wolf
05-26-2009, 21:54
i have never wished for a hostel to be anywhere. motels yes

Captain
05-26-2009, 21:55
darn you lone wolf...i had an ice cold sam adams staring at me and i bet myself if you was the first to reply id have to drink it...sigh salut

warraghiyagey
05-26-2009, 22:14
Damascus could use one. . . .

Captain
05-26-2009, 22:18
really? would think damascus would be over run with them esp with traildays and what not

Just a Hiker
05-26-2009, 22:28
I've never told myself that I "need" a hostel; however, there are a few place where they would be convenient at times.......Pawling, NY........Kent, CT......Bennington, VT; however, I doubt these places will ever have one.

karoberts
05-26-2009, 22:40
Kent, CT. A hostel that has showers, telephones, internet, and allows dogs.

Captain
05-26-2009, 22:44
is that you saying there IS one in kent that allows all that in response to the previous post.. or was you agreeing that one in kent would be nice?

warraghiyagey
05-26-2009, 22:47
There is one in Kent already. . . I agree with the Bennington idea. . .

Captain
05-26-2009, 22:50
bennington huh?.. yeah looks pretty bare when trying to search for one there

Just a Hiker
05-26-2009, 22:55
Where in Kent?.......must be very new, unless your talking about the church with the outdoor shower. Bennington, VT is a cool town with some good restaurants and they have outdoor concerts every Friday Night in the summer, so a Hostel would be nice; however, Bennington is a bit Hoity Toity, so I don't see it happening.

wakapak
05-26-2009, 23:13

Kent has one??? Since when?? We all but were ran out of there last year by the guy that runs the laundromat, and it was only for putting our clothes on the table (i guess those tables are for clean clothes only!).

Where in Kent?.......must be very new, unless your talking about the church with the outdoor shower. Bennington, VT is a cool town with some good restaurants and they have outdoor concerts every Friday Night in the summer, so a Hostel would be nice; however, Bennington is a bit Hoity Toity, so I don't see it happening.

Bennington isn't any more hoity toity than Kent. I think it's way less to be honest. There was an awesome woman there who took in lots of hikers last year. She pretty much chased Chaco and I down the main st after she saw us walk by the restaurant she was having dinner in. It was almost sunset, and we were drenched, pretty muddy and looking for somewhere to stay...thank goodness for her!!

If I had to choose between Kent and Bennington to stop in again, I'd choose Bennington hands down...seemed much friendlier to me and easier on the wallet too!! :)

Captain
05-26-2009, 23:16
3 votes for bennington in 4 different people.. lone wolf doesnt count because i think we all knew his answer before i even posted the question...not that theres anything wrong with wolf..we just know where he stands already :-P

karoberts
05-26-2009, 23:18
I meant that I think Kent needs one. I was there last July and there was no hostel at that time.

Captain
05-26-2009, 23:19
so about one in kent AND one in bennington?

Captain
05-26-2009, 23:20
i mean they would seem to be far enough not to rob business from each other

Just a Hiker
05-26-2009, 23:23
Wapapak, I totally agree that Bennington is way nicer than Kent, but when I say Hoity Toity, I mean that Bennington is a college town with one of most expensive private colleges in the country, so I am guessing that the "powers that be" in Bennington might not be super happy about a hostel......but it sure would be cool if there was one.......:)

wakapak
05-26-2009, 23:23
are you looking at starting a hostel???

wakapak
05-26-2009, 23:25
Wapapak, I totally agree that Bennington is way nicer than Kent, but when I say Hoity Toity, I mean that Bennington is a college town with one of most expensive private colleges in the country, so I am guessing that the "powers that be" in Bennington might not be super happy about a hostel......but it sure would be cool if there was one.......:)

I didnt realize there was even a college there! The parts of town I saw didn't seem too hoity toity to me, but maybe i wasn't around those parts! :) I will say that Manchester Center was way more hoity toity and there is an awesome hostel there now! I think it just has to be done in a certain way is all...

Captain
05-26-2009, 23:25
well nothing wrong with day dreaming right not sure how feasible itd be but also since m trying to get out for a thru trying to get a feel of where people thinks there needs to be one so i can be mentally prepared

Just a Hiker
05-26-2009, 23:33
I didnt realize there was even a college there! The parts of town I saw didn't seem too hoity toity to me, but maybe i wasn't around those parts! :) I will say that Manchester Center was way more hoity toity and there is an awesome hostel there now! I think it just has to be done in a certain way is all...

Yeah, believe it or not Bennington College costs more than most of the Ivy League schools, it and Middlebury College up the road are two of the most expensive private colleges in the country.....but maybe they could use some smelly hikers to class up the joint! :)

Jeff
05-27-2009, 08:01
Boiling Springs, PA is a town where a hostel would be welcomed by hikers. Camping options are not good near town and there are no inexpensive motels.

ARambler
05-27-2009, 10:05
If I were dreaming about a hostel on the trail, I would put it near the trail. I think North Adams would be better than Bennington. Of course Bennington would work with shuttles called by cell phone service at the trail or just regular shuttles to town. Another popular feature of hostels is slackpacking options. I can see, how hikers like to see those ahead and behind them without huge days or zeros.

I vote for Kent, CT.

Rambler

ARambler
05-27-2009, 10:12
Boiling Springs, PA is a town where a hostel would be welcomed by hikers. Camping options are not good near town and there are no inexpensive motels.

This section of the trail could really be helped with a slackpacking angel that could feed hikers into the Ironmasters Mansion or the Doyle. For strong hikers, I recommend, going from Pine Grove Furnace to the Comfort Inn on Rt 11 and then to the Doyle. It helps to have extra funds or partners for this option.
Rambler

Captain
05-27-2009, 16:25
So far , in rank of popularity:
1. Bennington, VT
2. Kent, CT
3.Damascus
4.Pawling, NY
5.Boiling Springs,PA
6. North Adams

gravityman
05-27-2009, 16:40
I was picked up by someone in 2005 that said they were getting ready to put in a hostel in Bennington. Can't remember who that was... It was Ashtray (not sure what year he hiked).

Online trail journals rock. From my journal :

"We met Ashtray at the trailhead and he gave us a lift into town while explaining his plans to set up a hostel in the area. It could really use it! We showered, ate some amazing Fish & Chips (their slogan was "fish so fresh you have to slap it") walked all over Tar-nation for laundry and met up with my parents."

Captain
05-27-2009, 16:42
I was picked up by someone in 2005 that said they were getting ready to put in a hostel in Bennington. Can't remember who that was... It was Ashtray (not sure what year he hiked).

Online trail journals rock. From my journal :

"We met Ashtray at the trailhead and he gave us a lift into town while explaining his plans to set up a hostel in the area. It could really use it! We showered, ate some amazing Fish & Chips (their slogan was "fish so fresh you have to slap it") walked all over Tar-nation for laundry and met up with my parents."

Thanks gravityman will keep an eye out

Jack Tarlin
05-27-2009, 17:52
The unfortunate truth is that for most folks, when you can afford to live in a place like Kent or Salisbury or Williamstown or Bennington or Manchester Center or Hanover......when you can finally afford to live in a place like this, you generally don't want the place over-run with a bunch of unkempt smelly hippies, or even if you're open to the idea, your spouse or family might not be thrilled at the prospect, and one's neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate it either.

It is no accident that these places have always been short on hikier lodging.

gravityman
05-27-2009, 18:07
Vermont only allows unkept smelly hippies... :)

Just a Hiker
05-27-2009, 18:12

Yeah, but Rutland already has a hostel.....:D

Jeff
05-27-2009, 18:28
The unfortunate truth is that for most folks, when you can afford to live in a place like Kent or Salisbury or Williamstown or Bennington or Manchester Center or Hanover......when you can finally afford to live in a place like this, you generally don't want the place over-run with a bunch of unkempt smelly hippies, or even if you're open to the idea, your spouse or family might not be thrilled at the prospect, and one's neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate it either.

It is no accident that these places have always been short on hikier lodging.

Jack, when my wife and I opened our hostel in Manchester Center last year, our (grown) kids were thrilled. They now have free lodging when skiing Bromley and Stratton!!!

As far as neighbors go, you are right. They first could not understand why we had so many guests and so few cars in the driveway:) Actually, the neighbors liked the hikers but had problems with hiker dogs barking and running around unleashed. All hikers say their dogs are well behaved. About half of them are correct.

We open fo 2009 on July 4th !!!!!!

yaduck9
05-27-2009, 18:49

The others live down the road in Hoosic Falls

( I can say that because....., well lets just say I can say that ;) )

wakapak
05-27-2009, 20:28

Jack, when my wife and I opened our hostel in Manchester Center last year, our (grown) kids were thrilled. They now have free lodging when skiing Bromley and Stratton!!!

As far as neighbors go, you are right. They first could not understand why we had so many guests and so few cars in the driveway:) Actually, the neighbors liked the hikers but had problems with hiker dogs barking and running around unleashed. All hikers say their dogs are well behaved. About half of them are correct.

We open fo 2009 on July 4th !!!!!!

Jeff,
I hope this season of hikers is a wonderful group for you!! I'll always remember my stay at your 'hostel', which felt more like being in someone's home than an actual hostel! Thanks for what you do there in Manchester Center for the hikers!! :)

wakapak
05-27-2009, 20:29
Whoa...i didnt mean to quote all those, only the one from Jeff!!! not sure how that happened!!!

Jeff
05-27-2009, 20:35
Wakapak,

Thanks for the kind words. Here is the photo of you and the gang that night:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=374107

warraghiyagey
05-28-2009, 08:34
Whoa...i didnt mean to quote all those, only the one from Jeff!!! not sure how that happened!!!

Cuz you're a dork???

:sun

Captain
05-30-2009, 18:34
Cuz you're a dork???

:sun
confirmed i have seen it myself

wakapak
05-30-2009, 18:40
confirmed i have seen it myself

you've seen me and that i may or may not be a dork???? :-?

TOW
05-30-2009, 21:37
Damascus could use one. . . .
and it is going to get one real soon.........

TOW
05-30-2009, 21:40
bennington huh?.. yeah looks pretty bare when trying to search for one there
and there are, or use to be plenty of homes sitting empty east and west of where the trail crosses the highway.......

Captain
06-01-2009, 22:39
and there are, or use to be plenty of homes sitting empty east and west of where the trail crosses the highway.......

Something i will have to look into wonder if my real estate agent wants to drive to vermont to do some hunting for me

Lybarger
06-07-2009, 11:52
Captain,

Don't see anyone making money running a hostel on the AT. Wish it was otherwise.

mikec
06-07-2009, 14:18
At 5 miles from the AT I know that I won't be stopping at Bennington when I section hike there next week. I think that Kent would be a better candidate. Only .8 miles off of the trail and just 1 Inn and a B&B. I did stay at the Fife & Drum when going through there a few years back. It has nice, clean rooms, and the food in the restaurant is great. But I believe I paid $130 for a room. So I would have stayed at a hostel if there had been one there then.

Jeff
06-07-2009, 14:22
MikeC,

I have always found hitching in Vermont is pretty easy. Lots of hikers go into Bennington, Manchester and Rutland....all require a 4 to 6 mile hitch.

10-K
06-08-2009, 10:53
I think a Dairy Queen every 50 or so miles would be nice. Does that count?

Captain
06-09-2009, 08:44
Captain,

Don't see anyone making money running a hostel on the AT. Wish it was otherwise.

who honestly expects to MAKE money these days when running a business, im a bit of a ways out anyway like 2 years the soonest so no reason to fret just yet

arla
08-25-2009, 23:30
While Bennington may not have an official hostel, there is the B-town vortex, where several hundred hikers have stayed free since 04. And there are a couple of other people who also put up hikers free--no agendas, either. Every hiker who has stayed here with me loves Bennington!

Rain Man
08-26-2009, 08:13
While Bennington may not have an official hostel, there is the B-town vortex, where several hundred hikers have stayed free since 04. And there are a couple of other people who also put up hikers free--no agendas, either. Every hiker who has stayed here with me loves Bennington!

Arla is right. My daughter and her hiking partner were their very first grubby hikers they took in. Plus, I've stayed there myself, with Mala and TDS and Grass.

Rain:sunMan

arla
08-27-2009, 05:53
Bennington has an on demand shuttle service for $2, weekdays only, 9-5. And, if anyone really wants to start an official hostel in Bennington, I'm willing to sell the vortex, which is centrally located downtown.

Captain
08-28-2009, 03:29
Bennington has an on demand shuttle service for $2, weekdays only, 9-5. And, if anyone really wants to start an official hostel in Bennington, I'm willing to sell the vortex, which is centrally located downtown.

do make sure you get back to me

The Weasel
08-28-2009, 10:51
Is this hostel still functioning in Bennington?

http://www.hostelz.com/hostel/2415-HI---Greenwood-Lodge-Hostel

arla
08-28-2009, 13:20
Yes, Greenwood Lodge is still functioning, as far as I know. I actually know the owner. The problem for most hikers is that Greenwood Lodge is several miles up the mountain, going west of the trailhead, and there isn't much else up there. I think most hikers want to be in town so they can get food, mail, internet, laundromat, outfitter, pub, movies, music...

The_Saint
09-20-2010, 09:06
How could Kent, CT be a good hostel town in terms of profitability? Yes, it's close to the trail and yes, doesn't have any competition, but there's a reason why there isn't a hostel located in Kent. I'm certain many of you have been there, but do you have any idea what it would cost to purchase a house/land in that part of the country?

Bags4266
09-20-2010, 09:24
How could Kent, CT be a good hostel town in terms of profitability? Yes, it's close to the trail and yes, doesn't have any competition, but there's a reason why there isn't a hostel located in Kent. I'm certain many of you have been there, but do you have any idea what it would cost to purchase a house/land in that part of the country?

This is true, and the town red tape you would go through. The nicer towns have a way of keeping out the hostels.

General Fireball
09-20-2010, 09:47

Amen to that. I found it amazing that the town where the Mid-Atlantic HQ is located has neither any kind of hostel/inexpensive lodging, nor any decent tenting sites. Camping in an overgrown field next to railroad tracks and an abandoned house was one of my least fun nights of many on the trail . . .

Moose2001
09-20-2010, 09:53
I'd have to vote for Boiling Springs as well. Would be a great place to be able to stop for the night.

Bags4266
09-20-2010, 10:26
You are correct on Boiling Springs. Also if I remember there is a long stretch between shelters. I was going to stay at that field near the tracks except they never cut the grass it was up to my knees.