PDA

View Full Version : Half-Gallon Challenge

SavageLlama
06-23-2004, 09:43
Who's done the Half-Gallon Challenge? What was your time?

Ice cream bliss comes with a reward
June 23, 2004
Stamford Advocate (http://javascript<b></b>:NewWindow(%20'FIISrcDetails','?from=article&ids=stam');void(0);)

In Pennsylvania's Pine Grove State Park, we reached the halfway point on the Appalachian Trail, 1,085 miles, and embarked on one of our greatest tasks yet -- the half-gallon challenge.

For 20 years, through-hikers have followed a tradition of eating a half-gallon of ice cream to celebrate this milestone. The rules of the challenge are simple -- when you reach Pine Grove park, you are to go immediately into the general store, purchase the ice cream of your choice, sit down, consume it as fast as possible and register your time in a hiker journal that the store keeps on hand.

The record time to date is 7 minutes, 30 seconds.

I had walked 10 miles, without eating much along the way, when I arrived in the park. I felt optimistic since it was a hot day, and I had a strong appetite. I huddled over my mint chocolate-chip tub and scarfed down half of it in 15 minutes. Taking a break to let it settle, I started thumbing through the hiker journal and, to my horror, read everyone's account.

Most complained of stomach pains, and many were unable to finish. Some determined souls drank the melted remnants of their half-gallon and proceeded to vomit.

Only a minute percentage, with a high lactose tolerance, were able to eat it all swiftly and painlessly.

I grew nervous about what awaited me as I dug in to finish the rest, but I still felt obligated to fulfill the self-torturing ritual. After 1 1/2 hours, and several stomach cramps, the deed was done.

I displayed my empty carton to the storekeeper and was presented with my hard-earned trophy -- a small wooden spoon printed with the words, "Half-Gallon Club Member."

I thought "I'm an idiot" would be a more fitting engraving.

Aside from the half-gallon extravaganza, trail life has become quite routine. Each day begins at dawn, when the early risers in a shelter begin to stir.

There's always one hiker who's in a hurry to start cranking out miles and will be out walking before most of us open our eyes. I call this person the sweeper, because he or she will stroll through every web that the spiders and silkworms have weaved across the trail during the night.

There's nothing like a face full of sticky webs to add to the unclean feeling of being a through-hiker. The rest of us usually sit around camp for a while and make oatmeal and coffee.

Once on the trail, I usually become focused on hiking a strong pace, since I'm most energized in the morning. Like clockwork, whatever song has been stuck in my head that week will begin to play as the miles melt away until lunch time. I basically determine that it's lunch when the song begins to play at a slower speed and I start to become irritated by everything.

After lunch -- a typical mix of granola bars, peanut butter and banana chips -- I hike at a more casual pace. Eventually, I begin the deep, intellectual thinking that many enjoy while in solitude with nature. Here is a sample inner monologue:

"What should I have for dinner tonight, ramen noodles or mac and cheese? Gosh, what I'd give for a cheeseburger right now. I wonder whether I'll pass by a place with a snack bar or vending machine today. If I could only eat one type of food, what would it be? Chinese, definitely. Wow, what I could do to an all-you-can-eat buffet right now."

By the time I awake from this hypnotic state, the day is nearing its end. I pull into a lean-to or camp site and congregate with the hikers I've encountered during the afternoon. We converse while making our suppers and on into the evening. Mostly, we talk about trail life and sometimes about our homes.

It's very rare to have a discussion on politics or controversial current events. Many despise the intrusion of the outside world on the trail's tranquility.

Ultimately, darkness bids us again to our sleeping bags and we drift to sleep. Most of us nod off with smiles on our faces, content with simple living and looking forward to eating breakfast.

java
06-23-2004, 10:09
I tried the Half-gallon challenge at the store just outside of the park, because the ice cream is much cheaper there. I failed miserably. Jeopardy, on-the-other-hand finished his half-gallon of fudge royal in 13 minutes! Then he went into the store and bought a foot-long sub, bag of chip and a soda! Stomach of steel!

Lone Wolf
06-23-2004, 10:14
Been there, done it. More than once. My fastest time was 42 minutes. One of the dumbest things I've done besides answering Mt. Dew's posts. :cool:

max patch
06-23-2004, 10:35
Completed my Swiss Miss in 36 minutes. The fastest time in 1988 was 16 minutes (at least when I passed thru the store). Still have the wooden spoon as one of my souveniers. Back then when you finished you got to draw a poster which they hung on the wall. No one has mentioned that in years so I suspect that part of the tradition has ended.

Lone Wolf
06-23-2004, 10:39
Yeah Max Patch. In 86 we drew pics too. In 92 when I did it they gave you a wooden spoon with your time on it.

bunbun
06-23-2004, 10:45
Who's done the Half-Gallon Challenge? What was your time?

In Pennsylvania's Pine Grove State Park, we reached the halfway point on the Appalachian Trail, 1,085 miles, and embarked on one of our greatest tasks yet -- the half-gallon challenge.

Really??

What "challenge?" :)

I got to Ironmasters at 3pm and the store didn't open until 4. I was irritated about waiting that hour cause I'd been salivating all the way from Caledonia about that ice cream. Took my time and finished in 30 minutes - stomach was a little queasy. But I went back to the hostel and had triple helpings of linguini with clam sauce and all the trimmings. Felt much better. :)

When I went to sleep that night, I was unhappy. The store had closed before I got back there, so I had to wait till the next day to get more ice cream. :(

Rain Man
06-23-2004, 11:31
From "The Camera Crew" (Arwen & Heather's) Friday, June 4, 2004 Trail Journal--

"Today was Arwen's finest hour. Not only did he rise to meet the Half Gallon Challenge, he set a new record! He consumed an entire half gallon of mint chocolate chip ice cream in a mere 7 minutes, 57 seconds. That means he snarfed a pint every 2 minutes, four times!"

"It was a beautiful, yet monstrous sight to behold. Arwen, armed with nothing but a lexan spoon, pitted against his frozen, green, unforgiving enemy. ..."

That Heather is quite a writer!!!!
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=66707

Looks as if there may be a new record since June 4?!

And to think, I knew them when they were wet-behind-their-ears on Springer!
:jump

Rain Man

grizzlyadam
06-23-2004, 13:32
i hiked a 17 mile day to get to the pine grove campstore in june of 2002. when i showed up there were 5 hikers already underway with the challenge. i sat and watched them for a while- 2 finished at just under an hour and 3 ended up throwing in the spoon.

i went inside and bought my 1/2 gallon of strawberry ice cream. i walked back outside, sat down at the table, and dug in. i had to put on a fleece shirt not long after i started because i was getting so cold (it was in the 50s that day).

but, after 17 minutes, 51 seconds that ice cream was gone.

fun times, man. fun times.

Toolshed
06-23-2004, 16:04
I was down there section hiking over Memorial Day weekend and met Trailite working on his half gallon and could see the quesiness on his face about 1/2 way through.
'course, put me in my lazy boy and a great movie and I'll can clean out a full half-gallon withijn 15 minutes. My wife is astonished at how muh and how quickly I can eat ice cream It is always gone the first day, therefore she rarely buys it.

Pencil Pusher
06-23-2004, 16:18
What about buying that thing and letting it melt into a frothy drink? Then one chug-a-lug combined with an iron stomach, and that should be a new record.

Lone Wolf
06-23-2004, 16:23
Actually eating a cheap-ass quality half gallon of ice cream is pretty easy. Lotsa fluff in those inferior brands. I'd like to see someone eat 4 pints of Ben&Jerry's in 10 minutes. That s**t is dense!

max patch
06-23-2004, 16:30
What about buying that thing and letting it melt into a frothy drink? Then one chug-a-lug combined with an iron stomach, and that should be a new record.

Gotta eat it not drink it.

Rain Man
06-23-2004, 16:56
Actually eating a cheap-ass quality half gallon of ice cream is pretty easy. Lotsa fluff in those inferior brands. ...

That's for sure. Breyer's is mostly injected air these days. Used to be good, dense, real cream. Now, you're buying air.

It's like the meat processors who inject water into the meat they sell by weight. Ice cream is by volune. Maybe the two ought to switch measures?!

Rain Man

A-Train
06-23-2004, 17:38
Wolf is right. The only pint I could find in Damscus was that poor excuse for ice cream brand PET, it went down like water. Eating 4 of those is NOTHING like going thru the equivalent quantity of B and J's Chubby Hubby or Phish Food :)

smokymtnsteve
06-23-2004, 17:46
Actually eating a cheap-ass quality half gallon of ice cream is pretty easy. Lotsa fluff in those inferior brands. I'd like to see someone eat 4 pints of Ben&Jerry's in 10 minutes. That s**t is dense!

I can't beleive Lone Wolf eats ice cream from those two Liberals ben and jerry :D

Lone Wolf
06-23-2004, 17:50
I don't eat B&Js and it has nothing to do with them being liberals.

SGT Rock
06-23-2004, 18:07
What if they made beer flavored Ice Cream? Then it would have air in it.

Footslogger
06-23-2004, 22:46
I did it last year on my thru in 38 minutes with chocolate. Was in caloric overload and had cramps for 2 days. Ah ...what memories !!

'Slogger

Pencil Pusher
06-24-2004, 01:33
Gotta eat it not drink it.
Then the degree to which the ice cream is frozen plays a significant role in how quickly one can consume this half gallon. Therefore, not all ice creams are created equal. Where is the rule book that says one cannot let it melt?

Frosty
06-24-2004, 08:14
Then the degree to which the ice cream is frozen plays a significant role in how quickly one can consume this half gallon. Therefore, not all ice creams are created equal. Where is the rule book that says one cannot let it melt?Who cares?

Pencil Pusher
06-24-2004, 08:47
Who cares?
Oh come on, play along...

Ramble~On
06-24-2004, 08:49
Those two "Liberals" get a whole lot of my income.

Jaybird
06-24-2004, 09:51
I don't eat B&Js and it has nothing to do with them being liberals.

Hey L.W.

Ben & Jerry's is now owned by UNILEVER Corporation!

The 2 Vermont "liberals" got 326Million bucks (thats a whole lot of "CHunky Monkey") for their company a few years ago, but continue to serve on the board of directors.

ANd, anyway, i dont think B&J sells ice cream in half-gallon sizes...just pints.... mmmmmmmmmmm-Cherry Garcia sounds good right about now! :D

Lone Wolf
06-24-2004, 10:06
When I lived in northern Vermont I would take friends and family to the B&J plant for the $1 tour and at the end they gave you a pill cup of ice cream. Very generous. Employees were allowed to take home 4 pints per day. They also recieved a free membership at a local gym.

SavageLlama
06-24-2004, 10:17
When I lived in northern Vermont I would take friends and family to the B&J plant for the $1 tour and at the end they gave you a pill cup of ice cream. Very generous. Employees were allowed to take home 4 pints per day. They also recieved a free membership at a local gym.
The best part of visiting the B&J factory is buying the "reject" pints that they sell for just a buck. They're the ones at the beginning and end of each batch that have either too few or too many mix-ins. I remember getting a sweet pint of Cherry Garcia with tons of choc chips. :p

Spirit Walker
06-24-2004, 11:15
On my first thruhike I did the challenge. I didn't time it though. I was talking to a weekender and my voice got smaller and smaller as my vocal chords got more frozen. I did my drawing, to put up on the wall - but i don't remember what it was. I still have the spoon. I was fine until I stood up - then all the ice cream dropped down and hit bottom. I knew I wasn't walking any further that day.

I remember being told that you should never pick your favorite as it might not be a favorite any more. Sure enough, it was about three years before I could face pecan praline again. (The ice cream choices in 1988 were much better than the ones in 1992.)

On my second hike four of us split a half gallon. Much easier. But not as fun.

The Will
06-24-2004, 16:30
Hiking southbound, I arrived at Pine Grove Furnace in late summer/early fall. The camp store had already reduced it's hours (I think only being open on weekends at that point). Fortunately I went through on a weekend and the store was open. I had been strategizing since the 100 Mile Wilderness, when I first heard of the club from the first northbounder I encountered. I figured that whatever flavor I choose would have long lost it's novelty before I ate a half-gallon...So I did it in pints. Trouble was, as it was the end of the season there wasn't that great a variety.....I think it came down to 3 pints of cherry jubilee and 1 pint o' vanilla.

It was a new worker in the store that day and I wasn't informed that you try to finish in a certain time until I wrote my name in the journal and saw all the times listed. Oh well.

The Will
MEGA '97

oyvay
06-25-2004, 16:05
In 2003 the ATC was reporting the trail was 2,172.6 miles. That meant the midpoint was at 1,086.3, according to the 2003 data book, it fell midway between PA 34 and PA 94. The deli store on PA 34 sells half gallons cheaper than the one at pine grove and they make terrific sandwiches!

bunbun
06-25-2004, 16:33
In 2003 the ATC was reporting the trail was 2,172.6 miles. That meant the midpoint was at 1,086.3, according to the 2003 data book, it fell midway between PA 34 and PA 94. The deli store on PA 34 sells half gallons cheaper than the one at pine grove and they make terrific sandwiches!

In 2004 the midpoint is almost directly in front of the Ironmasters Hostel.

Besides - it's "tradition" to do it at Pine Grove Furnace. :)

So - to keep everyone happy - eat a half gallon at Pine Grove Furnace - then eat a sandwich and another half gallon at the deli. :banana

3oz
06-26-2004, 21:20
I was witness to Synapse and Master Harold (both SOBO '03) do a full gallon challenge. More impressive was that Synapse was able to hold it down, poor Harold. Grambler to go to the bathroom with Harold and held her hair, and watched... I myself was not foolish enough to do a full gallon, but did the traditional half gallon.

eldwayno
06-28-2004, 10:52
I joined the club in an hour and 13 minutes eating Moose Tracks

Mountain Dew
06-28-2004, 22:51
I tried Moose Tracks.....almost finished and almost hurled !

Lone Wolf..."Been there, done it. More than once. My fastest time was 42 minutes. One of the dumbest things I've done besides answering Mt. Dew's posts." ...--- admitting your ignorance is only the first step chubby. :D

Peaks
07-27-2008, 09:00
Now that the half gallon ice cream package has been downsized to 1.75 quarts, or 56 ounces, should the half gallon challenge be moved from the mid point to the 950 mile point, say around Front Royal or Harpers Ferry?

JAK
07-27-2008, 10:21
Sounds like the store owner has a pretty good scam going.
Count me IN if I ever go there.

Actually he would probably do better selling more small stuff. That's probably how it got started some dolt like me wanting to save money by buying in bulk. I would go for a half gallon of French Vanilla with no sugar added, contest or no contest. 7 minutes 30 would be just crazy though, unless I could drink some hot coffee with it maybe.

oops56
07-27-2008, 11:30
Yep if you put down a half gallon you should stay in town.They say what goes in must come out best not be on the trial:eek:

notorius tic
07-27-2008, 11:38
I did last year with a cheeseburger to boot.. Hit the trail an puked about 1/8 mile down the forest road caught up with Gandalph about 1hr later an had a great 3 weeks of hiking.. TY GANDALF for all goooood times...

Kirby
07-27-2008, 14:42
Roughly 15 minutes for me.

Kirby

TJ aka Teej
07-27-2008, 17:14
half way to Baxter
five ninety nine will get you
Butter Pecan soon

HiakuJ

Bare Bear
07-27-2008, 22:57
I always skip it and end up two days ahead of whatevder 'pack' I am in at the time....which helps when you hike as slow as I do.............

ki0eh
07-28-2008, 08:39
Now that the half gallon ice cream package has been downsized to 1.75 quarts, or 56 ounces, should the half gallon challenge be moved from the mid point to the 950 mile point, say around Front Royal or Harpers Ferry?

From http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2008/07/appalachian_trail_hikers_look.html

"The store gets a delivery of 42 half-gallons of a variety of Hershey's Ice Cream flavors every Friday. If it runs low, employees head to a supermarket to resupply midweek. The trend toward smaller packaging could threaten the challenge's future. Hershey's Ice Cream is one of the few brands that have not switched from half-gallons to smaller 1.75-quart packages.
"Hopefully, they won't change," Hoffman said."

hopefulhiker
07-28-2008, 08:40
I did in 2005. I had a documented time of 4 min 32 seconds. It was Chocolate.

Hoop Time
07-28-2008, 12:31
I joined the club in an hour and 13 minutes eating Moose Tracks

I tried Moose Tracks.....almost finished and almost hurled !

According to the girl at the store, Moose Tracks is the toughest to finish because of all the chuncky stuff in it.

I figured that whatever flavor I choose would have long lost it's novelty before I ate a half-gallon...So I did it in pints. Trouble was, as it was the end of the season there wasn't that great a variety.....I think it came down to 3 pints of cherry jubilee and 1 pint o' vanilla.

She says Neapolitan is the easiest because it has no chuncky stuff and the three flavors helps with the boredom factor.

That strategy, four pints instead of one half-gallon package, is not uncommon, according to her.