PDA

View Full Version : How cold is Maine in July?

Safari
05-27-2009, 01:10
hey hey,

getting my clothing together for my MEGA SOBO hike starting mid July, I think I have a slight idea of what to expect regards the climate (reading what others have said) on the trail, hows my clothing list looking?
To be honest it looks alot.
Obviously I'll be wearing some of it while slogging my way South, unless it gets really hot and I feel its time to nude up:rolleyes:

*1 X lightweight merino thermal longsleeve top
*1 X lightweight longsleeve fleece
*1 X polyprop leggings
*1 X nylon shorts(built in liner)
*2 X pair synthetic trail running socks
*1 X leather Keen trail runners
*1 X thin poly gloves
*1 X lightweight fleece beanie
*1 X Marmot Precip jacket
*2 X Polyester t shirts
*1 X Crocs for camp shoes, stream crossings
*1 X lightweight synthetic quickdry travel pants

Thanx in advance for anyone that replies! Good on ya.

fancyfeet
05-27-2009, 01:38
Hey, no worries, mate. Looks like you have enough. Maybe a little too much. It was 85+ when I did Maine in July. But it did get quite cold at night and on rainy days. Start with what you've got and try it out. You can always mail some ahead.

Safari
05-27-2009, 01:44
ta! glad to hear you reckon i may have too much... i'm a bit clueless, this 100 Mile Wilderness has been hyped up to be a great, dirty mess of a section so i don't want to get caught short and cold :oon my first week in the States.

Kaptain Kangaroo
05-27-2009, 04:23
Yeah, 100 mile wilderness is a little overhyped. It is a beautiful stretch of trail, but hardly wilderness. I saw more hikers there than in all of southern Maine. You do also cross many roads, they are dirt roads, but I did see plenty of vehicles.
I hiked through in early July (summitted Katahdin on thye 12th) & the weather was variable, days could be very warm, but had a few chilly nights too. All I carried was lightweight fleece pullover, & a rain jacket
Did not carry gloves, fleece hat, thermals, or rain paints. It was only nights that got cool & my sleeping bag dealt with that.
(remember, your tent & sleeping bag are your ultimate solution you get really cold during the day & you feel it is unwise to continue hiking)
Cheers,

Kaptin Kangaroo

Marta
05-27-2009, 06:50
The only thing I might leave off the list would be the second T shirt, and maybe the long pants. I doubt you'll ever need to wear long pants during the day, and you've got the leggings for when you're not actually walking.

Good luck with your hike!

Safari
05-27-2009, 07:28
Thanx Marta, i'm getting the advice i was looking for ! I will probably leave those two out... or bounce them ahead to wear while laundering everything else properly.

boarstone
05-27-2009, 08:42
Remember...mosqitoes are thick in the woods, black flies and deer flies....you'll want something on your legs to defeat the little buggers...nights can get into the 40's in the gullies, low laying areas in there, very windy on top of Whitecap/Chairback/Barren Mt. range any time of day. Your rain jacket can double as wind jacket.

Ridge Rat
05-27-2009, 09:31
The only problem with the 100 mile wilderness is the bridges

JAK
05-27-2009, 09:42
hey hey,

getting my clothing together for my MEGA SOBO hike starting mid July, I think I have a slight idea of what to expect regards the climate (reading what others have said) on the trail, hows my clothing list looking?
To be honest it looks alot.
Obviously I'll be wearing some of it while slogging my way South, unless it gets really hot and I feel its time to nude up:rolleyes:

*1 X lightweight merino thermal longsleeve top
*1 X lightweight longsleeve fleece
*1 X polyprop leggings
*1 X nylon shorts(built in liner)
*2 X pair synthetic trail running socks
*1 X leather Keen trail runners
*1 X thin poly gloves
*1 X lightweight fleece beanie
*1 X Marmot Precip jacket
*2 X Polyester t shirts
*1 X Crocs for camp shoes, stream crossings
*1 X lightweight synthetic quickdry travel pants

Thanx in advance for anyone that replies! Good on ya.Nice kit. Some of it may be redundant, but maybe on a long hike it is nice to carry spares. Personally I never carry more than I can wear all at once. I might ditch a few of the items above, or at least make sure that some were looser than others. Even skin layers don't always have to be skin tight. For instance I would make sure that merino thermal longsleeve top was a little loose, and that is what I would be wearing most of the time, with shorts. The fleece would be loose enough to fit over it, and a tshirt would still fit under it. I don't think I would need both t shirts though, as most of the time I wouldn't be wearing them. Maybe 2 for down south though, and leave either the wool or fleece top until you get further north. Maybe knit yourself a sweater along the way. ;)

warraghiyagey
05-27-2009, 09:47
and leave either the wool or fleece top until you get further north. ;)
He's going south. . .

JAK
05-27-2009, 10:05
He's going south. . .oops
Then I guess he's all set, but maybe ditch 1 t-shirt.

garlic08
05-27-2009, 10:32
I was there in early July last year and I agree with all the above posts that you have some redundancy. I would carry the travel pants and not the thermal undies. Think bug protection over warmth. Think lots of mud and what will be easier to rinse and wear wet. The best one ounce I carried was a head net for bugs.

Marta
05-27-2009, 17:15
The best one ounce I carried was a head net for bugs.

Oh, yes!!! Deet will help with the mosquitoes, but a head net is the thing for those gnats that fly into your eyes. Nasty critters.

I had originally planned not to use Deet, but to wear shell clothing (Montane wind jacket and pants). A few days of hot weather quickly put an end to that plan. I was steaming like an ear of corn on a grill. Deet became my friend.

Safari
05-28-2009, 02:37
thanx for the input, it's a real help to get different perspectives, cheers all! I have the hat and bug thing covered, gonna bring my crocodile skin outback bush hat with corks hanging off it, works a treat and the ladies think i look dead sexy, shame I can't bring my pet kangaroo; Gary, I ride him to work most days, again the sheilas can't resist such sophistication.

TJ aka Teej
05-28-2009, 10:50
Remember...mosqitoes are thick in the woods, black flies and deer flies....you'll want something on your legs to defeat the little buggers...nights can get into the 40's in the gullies, low laying areas in there, very windy on top of Whitecap/Chairback/Barren Mt. range any time of day. Your rain jacket can double as wind jacket.
biscuitchonkers, in case you didn't know, Boarstone lives right up along the 100 Mile year round and is in and out of the area all hiking season - she knows what she's talking about!

vonfrick
05-28-2009, 16:45
headnets are for wimps. i'm wearing swim goggles.

Kirby
05-28-2009, 19:28
Not cold by Maine standards.