PDA

View Full Version : What stove does Caldera Cone come with?

sierraDoug
05-27-2009, 01:42
I'm planning to make my own Caldera Cone (see other thread I started today).

Anyone who's seen one, what kind of stove does the Trail Designs Caldera Cone come with? I figure since they've done testing to get just the right stove for the Cone I'd like to use the same kind. I've seen the pictures on their website, but I'm no stove expert. And I know many of you are!

Where can I find instructions for this kind of stove?

Thanks muchly,
Doug

Marta
05-27-2009, 06:53
It's a soda can stove, but it's one that burns cooler than most. The Cone holds in so much heat that a normal stove is too hot. Also, one reason the systems saves fuel is that the stove burns less fuel than most.

Dances with Mice
05-27-2009, 08:14
The one I saw looked incredibly similar to the Kitten Stove (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=5422&catid=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=1030&cutoffdate=-1).

take-a-knee
05-27-2009, 08:32
The one I saw looked incredibly similar to the Kitten Stove (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=5422&catid=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=1030&cutoffdate=-1).

With an added priming pan.

sierraDoug
05-30-2009, 02:20

Yup, the Kitten Stove is what the Trail Designs picture looks like. BTW, I guess their primer pan is a loose piece since they sell it separately for other stoves. I had thought they glued it onto the stove.

So, DWM, do your accordion tabs help center the V8 can in the cat food can? Do they bend sideways and sort of press against the inside of the cat food can?

Doug

Squinty
05-30-2009, 04:59
I've used 4 different types of alcohol stoves under my Cone. 1)The one it arrived with, 2)a Trangia classic, 3) a homebuilt Vienna Sausage can stove and 4) a homebuilt Tasty Treat catfood can stove. I've also burned twigs and solid fuel tabs under it successfully. All worked well.

Hooch
05-30-2009, 05:46
........ BTW, I guess their primer pan is a loose piece since they sell it separately for other stoves. I had thought they glued it onto the stove........Although Trail Designs does sell the promer pans separately, they come attached to the stoves sold with the Caldera Cone and Caldera Keg systems.

Grinder
05-30-2009, 09:21
search "caldera Clone" for a link to a program that designs a caldera type wind screen for your pot and stove and prints out a paper pattern.

After you get the program to run, let me know some detail on how. I tried and the support functions you needed to install wouldn't run for me.

You can also design your own graphically, using the angle you want for the side of the windscreen, the height to the stove brim and the circumference to determine the radius of the blank and the arc needed. Some geometry and math required.

sierraDoug
06-01-2009, 01:05
I've used 4 different types of alcohol stoves under my Cone. 1)The one it arrived with, 2)a Trangia classic, 3) a homebuilt Vienna Sausage can stove and 4) a homebuilt Tasty Treat catfood can stove. I've also burned twigs and solid fuel tabs under it successfully. All worked well.

That's good to know. I guess it's not super-critical to use one kind of stove with a cone. On the other hand I'd still like to try something like the stove they come with. So I bought a six-pack of little V-8 cans today to make a kitten stove.

sierraDoug
06-01-2009, 01:16
search "caldera Clone" for a link to a program that designs a caldera type wind screen for your pot and stove and prints out a paper pattern.

After you get the program to run, let me know some detail on how. I tried and the support functions you needed to install wouldn't run for me.

Funny you should mention that. I posted a topic here on WB about that the same day I started this topic! You could ask the guy who posted the program how to work it. Try the programmers' thread on outdoorsmagic.com is here:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/22357/

Dances with Mice
06-01-2009, 06:21
Yup, the Kitten Stove is what the Trail Designs picture looks like. BTW, I guess their primer pan is a loose piece since they sell it separately for other stoves. I had thought they glued it onto the stove.

So, DWM, do your accordion tabs help center the V8 can in the cat food can? Do they bend sideways and sort of press against the inside of the cat food can?
Yeah, the accordion tabs act as both spacers and support. The can shown in the photo has 2 rows of holes but only one row is needed.

It doesn't need a primer. I don't know why anyone would use one with that stove design. It's not a pressurized stove that has to heat up before use. There's an exposed pool of alcohol in the middle of the stove - light that and it's ready to use immediately.

sierraDoug
06-01-2009, 22:02
Yeah, the accordion tabs act as both spacers and support. The can shown in the photo has 2 rows of holes but only one row is needed.

It doesn't need a primer. I don't know why anyone would use one with that stove design. It's not a pressurized stove that has to heat up before use. There's an exposed pool of alcohol in the middle of the stove - light that and it's ready to use immediately.

Thanks for the info on the tabs. I'll get around to making one in a while, but I'm going to work on my tarp project first. And yeah, good point about not needing a primer pan. Who knows why the Cone company uses one.

Doug

lustreking
06-01-2009, 22:23
The can shown in the photo has 2 rows of holes but only one row is needed.

D'oh! I just finished punching two rows of holes about 20 minutes ago. Are there any disadvantages to having two rows?

take-a-knee
06-01-2009, 23:10

It doesn't need a primer. I don't know why anyone would use one with that stove design. It's not a pressurized stove that has to heat up before use. There's an exposed pool of alcohol in the middle of the stove - light that and it's ready to use immediately.Y

YMMV, but mine lights a lot easier if I prime it with a few drops in that pan.

Dances with Mice
06-02-2009, 06:10
D'oh! I just finished punching two rows of holes about 20 minutes ago. Are there any disadvantages to having two rows?No disadvantage, it will operate the same. It just looks neater with one row.

Franco
06-02-2009, 06:46
This is the Trail Design stove.
Franco
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/10-20-stove.jpg

Dances with Mice
06-02-2009, 07:48
This is the mouse stove.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/0/3/0/mouse-stove_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15529&c=member&imageuser=1030)

zelph
12-31-2016, 21:06
This is the Trail Design stove.
Franco
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/10-20-stove.jpg

Franco, do flames come out of the outside holes part of the time?

kayak karl
12-31-2016, 21:41
since this was 7 years ago ill answer. flames never come out the side holes

zelph
01-02-2017, 23:41
I came across a thread that had some info saying at the end of the heating cycle where the water is just about to boil, the stove starts to go radical because of over heating and the flames will come out those holes. The flames will also come out the top holes of the cone at that high heat stage(shorter cones).

G-FOURce
01-03-2017, 00:20
I came across a thread that had some info saying at the end of the heating cycle where the water is just about to boil, the stove starts to go radical because of over heating and the flames will come out those holes. The flames will also come out the top holes of the cone at that high heat stage(shorter cones).

Flames will absolutely lick out of the opening on a Caldera cone where the pot handles are. I set a lighload towel on fire using it folded up as a hotpad to move a boiling pot of water and the cone away from the stove.

zelph
01-03-2017, 12:55
Over a period of time the stove will look like this one that was in a thread at backpackinglight.com

trailmercury
01-03-2017, 14:22
Over a period of time the stove will look like this one that was in a thread at backpackinglight.com

My question is then will the Starlyte look any better after the same "period of time" using the cone setup?
I plan on mixing up fuel types on my thru-hike using my new Trail Designs Sidewinder Ti-Tri...primarily alcohol, but mixing in wood and esbit here and there. I'm running field tests on them currently!
I have replaced the 12-10 stove with a Starlyte primarily because then everything fits in the 900ml pot. the 12-10 has to be in a separate container because its much larger than the Starlyte.

zelph
01-04-2017, 10:33
My question is then will the Starlyte look any better after the same "period of time" using the cone setup?
I plan on mixing up fuel types on my thru-hike using my new Trail Designs Sidewinder Ti-Tri...primarily alcohol, but mixing in wood and esbit here and there. I'm running field tests on them currently!
I have replaced the 12-10 stove with a Starlyte primarily because then everything fits in the 900ml pot. the 12-10 has to be in a separate container because its much larger than the Starlyte.

As long as you don't over fill the statlyte it won't be baked to look like the TD photo. Fill with no more than 1.5 ounces of fuel. Never light a starlyte that has fuel puddled on top of the stainless steel mesh screen. It will overflow the sides and flames will engulf the burner causing excessive heat to the outside walls. The 12-10 needs to be primed in cold weather so fuel is poured into the priming ring at the stove base. That causes the stove to be engulfed and eventually the aluminum is anealed and becomes easily bent out of shape. No need to prime a starlyte in cold weather.

zelph
01-09-2017, 10:43
Trail Designs no longer sells the Modified Starlyte. They can still be purchased at my website.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/modified-starlyte-burner-with-lid.php

Traillium
01-09-2017, 17:45
I highly recommend Zelph's modified Starlyte in a Caldera Cone TiTri. Wonderful — and somewhat longer burning in my experience than the Caldera 12-10. I especially like the ability to cover it and save unused alcohol fuel.

I also have Zelph's bigger Starlyte (which I'm not sure he still sells). His recommendation to me was that the bigger one is for big pots. I only have a 900mL pot …. But the bigger Starlyte does work very well for me. And lasts a very long time because it's has such a large capacity. I can easily see cutting an additional restrictor with a smaller hole that would fit in the lid when not in use — and would allow for great simmering and baking.

Franco
01-12-2017, 23:02
I had obviously forgotten all about this thread...
I have mentioned in some other threads that the Trail Designs stove works better (for me) if I put more fuel in it than needed. The extra fuel will keep the stove cooler .
It is very simple to snuff and recover the extra fuel.
(apparently enormously difficult for some ....)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poDcCH_VFvE

zelph
01-15-2017, 22:16
I highly recommend Zelph's modified Starlyte in a Caldera Cone TiTri. Wonderful — and somewhat longer burning in my experience than the Caldera 12-10. I especially like the ability to cover it and save unused alcohol fuel.

I also have Zelph's bigger Starlyte (which I'm not sure he still sells). His recommendation to me was that the bigger one is for big pots. I only have a 900mL pot …. But the bigger Starlyte does work very well for me. And lasts a very long time because it's has such a large capacity. I can easily see cutting an additional restrictor with a smaller hole that would fit in the lid when not in use — and would allow for great simmering and baking.

By the end of next week I'll have a 3 oz. capacity Starlyte Type burner available... with lid. Parts should arrive tomorrow. It's smaller in diameter than the one you mentioned.

Traillium
01-16-2017, 00:05
These are remarkable stoves!
The ability to carry alcohol in the stove is a really major benefit!

Traillium
01-16-2017, 00:06
These are remarkable stoves!
The ability to carry alcohol in the stove is a really major benefit!

(I'm referring to Zelph's big StarLyte stoves that he just mentioned …)

zelph
03-16-2017, 20:51
(I'm referring to Zelph's big StarLyte stoves that he just mentioned …)

The larger Starlyte XL3 is now available, 3 ounce fuel capacity with fuel saving lid. No need to siphon/reclaim unused fuel. No priming necessary. Burner has copper wick for single digit winter temperatures, makes lighting easy peasey. Can be used with the larger Trail Design Caldera Cones.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-xl3.php