PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if a dog is ready for a long hike?

Jaenelle
05-27-2009, 07:30
How do you know if your dog is ready for a long hike?

Casper is a 2-year-old neutered mutt, poodle mixed with American Eskimo dog. He’s 20 inches high at the shoulder and weighs 23 pounds. He’s well-behaved, has his canine good citizen award, and is working on his Novice Rally Title with the APDT. He is friendly with other animals (dogs, cats, children, small pets) and so far we haven’t had a problem with him chasing wildlife or domestic animals. He’s generally athletic and I’d say he has better endurance that I do. When I’m ready to be done for the day, he still wants me to throw a ball for him to chase. I’ve done day hikes with him and short overnights (2-3 days). He will carry a pack but I generally don’t ask him to carry more than some freeze dried dog treats and his boots if he’s not wearing them, nothing that I couldn’t stuff into my pack or do without if need be. Since I got him a year ago, he’s gone on every hike with me.

I have a 3-week vacation this year. It’s all mine. I’m hoping to start at a point on the AT near where I live (in PA) and hike southbound in no particular hurry until I’m not enjoying myself anymore or my time is up, whichever comes first. Then I’ll call and someone from home will come get me. I did that a couple of times as a teenager, my longest time out was 7 weeks but haven’t gone more than 2-3 nights out since I started doing the full time work + full time college thing.

Honestly, I’m not sure I’m ready to hike for 3 weeks, day hikes and weekend trips don’t really prepare you for that. I’m going to enjoy myself and get away from civilization for a little while. The dog enjoys hikes, trotting down the trail with his nose twitching and his tail up. But how do I know if he’s ready for a long hike?

sasquatch2014
05-27-2009, 07:56
I don't think you ever really know 100%. Most dogs can do a lot more than most people will ever ask them to do. As long as you are in tune with your dog and can pay close attention to what they are telling you through their body language you will be fine if it seems like it is too much scale back and take an easy day then see how he does the next day. I know with mine he will loose his appetite about the second or third day on the trail but in another day or so it comes right back.

Have fun and enjoy.

Rockhound
05-27-2009, 08:00
He has his leash in his mouth and he's giving you that "what the hell are you still doing just sitting there" look. Seriously he sounds like a good dog. Have a great time

cowboy nichols
05-27-2009, 09:00
He sounds well trained and ready. I would only add one comment.Leash your dog when hiking, not because he isn't well trained but for respect for other hikers and also danger from loose dogs with untrained owners.

JAK
05-27-2009, 11:09
If your dog starts posting on WB more that 2 or 3 posts a day, he's probably long overdue. lol

Foyt20
05-27-2009, 13:14
Hahaha good one Jak.

Which New Brunswick are you located in?

Cabin Fever
05-27-2009, 13:31
I am in the same boat right now with two yellow lab pups. They are 5 months old and I am starting to take them out on the trail more. I am up to 3 miles with them and they did great. I am going to try 5 this weekend.

warraghiyagey
05-27-2009, 13:32
Hahaha good one Jak.

Which New Brunswick are you located in?
The BIG One. . .

Rouen
05-27-2009, 13:38
I am in the same boat right now with two yellow lab pups. They are 5 months old and I am starting to take them out on the trail more. I am up to 3 miles with them and they did great. I am going to try 5 this weekend.

With puppies you dont want to push them too much, especially a large breed pup. Remmeber they are going to be growing for the next 18 months, and too much too young can disable them for life.

Nean
05-27-2009, 13:57
I'll be taking one of my dogs who has never been on the trail and think she will do well. Do some research for some helpful hints and pros/cons of hiking w/ a dog right here on good ol' WB!

Jaenelle
05-27-2009, 16:12
Oh…he’ll definitely be on leash. I put a lot of work into training him but not every dog we see will be so well trained. Just walking at home is a hazard …too many dogs who aren’t under control and not all of them are friendly.

For short hikes, I’ve been using a light weight 10 foot rope with carabiners tied to each end. I just clip one on his harness and hook the other end around the pack’s waist belt. Do you think that’s too much length? He is good about not getting tangled around trees and I call him into a heel if I see other people or animals…

SteveJ
05-27-2009, 20:29
Oh…he’ll definitely be on leash. I put a lot of work into training him but not every dog we see will be so well trained. Just walking at home is a hazard …too many dogs who aren’t under control and not all of them are friendly.

For short hikes, I’ve been using a light weight 10 foot rope with carabiners tied to each end. I just clip one on his harness and hook the other end around the pack’s waist belt. Do you think that’s too much length? He is good about not getting tangled around trees and I call him into a heel if I see other people or animals…

I wouldn't like the extra rope sliding around....which is why I take a flexi-lead. It automatically retracts as I bring her back to me, and no rope laying around to trip over... I guess it might be doable if you don't use hiking poles, but I do, and think I'd need a 3rd (maybe 4th?!) hand to deal with the poles, the dog, and the extra rope in touchy situations.....

shelterbuilder
05-27-2009, 21:09
Oh…he’ll definitely be on leash...For short hikes, I’ve been using a light weight 10 foot rope with carabiners tied to each end. I just clip one on his harness and hook the other end around the pack’s waist belt. Do you think that’s too much length? He is good about not getting tangled around trees and I call him into a heel if I see other people or animals…

I've used a 10 ft. tie-out IN CAMP with my dogs (Siberians), but on the trail, it might be a bit too long. I like a 6-ft. lead clipped into a walking harness. The harness falls off of the dog's rump, so you usually have between 4 and 6 ft. between you and the dog. If I have to shorten up on the lead, I just take a loop of it in my hand - I can hold the dog almost at a "heel" position this way. (The harness fits under the dog pack, and if it fits correctly, there is no rubbing.)

It sounds like you're very much "in tune" with your dog, so don't worry - he'll tell you if he's had enough. Judging by the breed description, I think that you'll wear out before he does!:D

Jaenelle
05-28-2009, 20:17
When we got him (from a shelter), we didn't know what he was (until the DNA test later)...except that he was a poodle mix or some other low-shed mutt who didn't irritate my allergies. He was all matted, terrified of his own shadow, and untrained. But once he got some good food in him, he was pure bounce. He pestered other bigger dogs until they chased him and when they were exhausted, he circled back to pester them some more or convince the humans to throw a ball. I threw us into a lot of training out of self defense and to channel some of that energy.

We might try a six-foot leash next time we’re out. I haven’t had trouble with the 10’ foot rope but we haven’t been on the AT; I've been sticking to less used trails. We don’t like the flexi-leads much. On a regular leash or a rope, he walks on a loose leash, never tightening it completely. He heels like a perfect gentleman on and off leash. But when I clip on a flexi, he walks to the end taking up all available slack and starts to pull. It’s most likely a wrinkle in my training but it’s one I’m not sure how to iron out.

Is the type of harness you use?
http://www.ultrapaws.com/pages/Harnesses2.shtml

Kanati
05-28-2009, 20:33
The second sadist dog I ever saw was on the AT last year in Maine. His masters, a guy and girl were hiking south out of the Mahoosuc Notch. Their dog was so foot sore he couldn't take another step. They would ask him to "come on" and he would look up at them, lift a paw, and tremble with pain. That pissed me off so bad that I chewed them out on the spot by telling them just how inconsiderate they were, among several other adjectives. They looked at me like they thought I was crazy. I felt like dognapping him and carrying him off the trail. Two other hikers were with me and they told me later they supported what I had done.

So, your dogs conditioning must include toughing the paw pads as that's where he will suffer first and where he will suffer the most. The reason I know is because for many years I owned and hunted pointer bird dogs. Their paws take a beating, even when they are conditioned. Wet conditions soften the dogs paws like they do our feet and hands.

shelterbuilder
05-28-2009, 21:18
When we got him (from a shelter), we didn't know what he was (until the DNA test later)...except that he was a poodle mix or some other low-shed mutt who didn't irritate my allergies. He was all matted, terrified of his own shadow, and untrained. But once he got some good food in him, he was pure bounce. He pestered other bigger dogs until they chased him and when they were exhausted, he circled back to pester them some more or convince the humans to throw a ball. I threw us into a lot of training out of self defense and to channel some of that energy.

We might try a six-foot leash next time we’re out. I haven’t had trouble with the 10’ foot rope but we haven’t been on the AT; I've been sticking to less used trails. We don’t like the flexi-leads much. On a regular leash or a rope, he walks on a loose leash, never tightening it completely. He heels like a perfect gentleman on and off leash. But when I clip on a flexi, he walks to the end taking up all available slack and starts to pull. It’s most likely a wrinkle in my training but it’s one I’m not sure how to iron out.

Is the type of harness you use?
http://www.ultrapaws.com/pages/Harnesses2.shtml (http://www.ultrapaws.com/pages/Harnesses2.shtml)

I had used a home made harness that's very similar to what's shown on the link page. (These are sled racing harnesses, padded with fleece. Try to keep them as clean as possible, since dirty harnesses can abrade the fur right off of the dog!) If you use a harness, be sure to attach it to the dog's collar with a "double neck line" (also shown on the link page under "skijoring equipment"; these can be made at home with 2 small snap swivels and a short length of hollow-braided polypropelene - follow weaving instructions in the poly-rope package). Attach the first snap to the collar, thread the neck line under the harness at the neck area, and then attach the second snap to the collar, forming a loop around the harness. If your dog figures out how to "back out" of the harness, he's still caught by the collar!:banana

I don't like Flexi-leads either - it's too easy for a dog to lunge and yank the lead right out of your hand! With a regular leash, I put my hand through the loop and leave it around my wrist, and grab the leash wherever it's comfortable. I've NEVER had a dog pull the leash off of my wrist.

I agree with Kanati - pads need constant checking. While you're on that link page, check out the dog booties (the heavy-duty ones). Some dogs don't like them, but they really do protect the dog's feet. Get the ones rated for concrete!!!:D

Phreak
05-28-2009, 21:41
With puppies you dont want to push them too much, especially a large breed pup. Remmeber they are going to be growing for the next 18 months, and too much too young can disable them for life.
Very true. Any strenuous activity before the age of 12 months can adversely affect their joint development.

Jaenelle
05-28-2009, 21:46
He's good about letting me check his pads (comes from letting me file his nails, I think...). And he actually has boots already. He looks really silly in them...but they protected his little feet when the roads were extra hot last summer or had that salt stuff on them over the winter. We also use them on some of the gravel-base rail-trails around here. My rule is that if I wouldn't walk on a surface barefoot for an extended period of time, he shouldn't either; I don't always go barefoot when he is...but I try to think about what he's walking on. They only sell one style in the pet store here. Maybe that's why I've gone through 3 pairs in the last year? I'll have to do a bit more research on them and see if ordering more heavy duty ones online would be better. Thanks!

Kanati
05-28-2009, 21:55
He's good about letting me check his pads (comes from letting me file his nails, I think...). And he actually has boots already. He looks really silly in them...but they protected his little feet when the roads were extra hot last summer or had that salt stuff on them over the winter. We also use them on some of the gravel-base rail-trails around here. My rule is that if I wouldn't walk on a surface barefoot for an extended period of time, he shouldn't either; I don't always go barefoot when he is...but I try to think about what he's walking on. They only sell one style in the pet store here. Maybe that's why I've gone through 3 pairs in the last year? I'll have to do a bit more research on them and see if ordering more heavy duty ones online would be better. Thanks!

It will be good if you can allow his paws to toughen to handle the normal day to day stuff and gradually build his endurance for the longer days on the trail. It is also good to teach him to accept the booties so that when you feel he needs them he won't protest. My dog Max is a 9 year old black lab. He would hike himself into extreme fatigue if I would let him but I rarely allow him to go more than 5 miles as he has a hip issue that gives him pain. Upon my vets advice, I give him one vitamin-I when we're finished. We play leap frog while hiking.

Happy hiking. :sun

P.S. I love your town and the local people. Met some great guys at breadfast in the diner across from the Doyle.

shelterbuilder
05-28-2009, 21:57
Most of the ones made from "fleece only" don't hold up. Look for ones made from Cordura nylon, pack cloth, or ballistic nylon.

NONE of my team EVER liked booties - the booties must have felt wierd. It sure looks funny when a dog tries to run without letting ANY of his feet touch the ground!;):D

shelterbuilder
05-28-2009, 22:03
...Upon my vets advice, I give him one vitamin-I when we're finished....

I'm surprised by your vet's advice - mine has always maintained that ibuprofen was too toxic to dogs to be safe in any dosage. (I'm not a vet; I'm just sayin'.)

I was always told 5 mg. of aspirin per pound of dog....

Kanati
05-28-2009, 22:07
I'm surprised by your vet's advice - mine has always maintained that ibuprofen was too toxic to dogs to be safe in any dosage. (I'm not a vet; I'm just sayin'.)

I was always told 5 mg. of aspirin per pound of dog....

Hmmm? I'll check again with him to be sure. Thanks for the advice.

shelterbuilder
05-28-2009, 22:21
Hmmm? I'll check again with him to be sure. Thanks for the advice.

Dogs have trouble excreting some chemicals that we humans can pass with ease (chocolate, for instance, or grapes and raisins), and the chemicals can very quickly build up to toxic levels. The more they get, the worse it is.:(

Homer&Marje
05-29-2009, 05:19
You say...."Come on boy...you ready a' go.....you wanna go ouside....you ready a' go!!!! GOOD BOY!"

That's all it ever took to know my dogs....now how do I know if my cats can handle a long hike? The cat carrier might get cumbersome on my arms.:D

sasquatch2014
05-29-2009, 07:40
Cats are easy if they stop squalling after a few miles while being carried by your dog they are good to go........or dead:(

Kanati
05-29-2009, 14:12
Dogs have trouble excreting some chemicals that we humans can pass with ease (chocolate, for instance, or grapes and raisins), and the chemicals can very quickly build up to toxic levels. The more they get, the worse it is.:(

I checked with Max's vet this morning and she told me that since I only give him one, 200mg tablet no more that 3 times a week after a meal, it won't hurt him. She went on to say that the problem comes when you give him medication as a daily dosage. If I were going to do that, I should give him aspirin at 5mg per pound of body weight as you had stated.

Thanks for the advice.

shelterbuilder
05-29-2009, 20:16
I checked with Max's vet this morning and she told me that since I only give him one, 200mg tablet no more that 3 times a week after a meal, it won't hurt him. She went on to say that the problem comes when you give him medication as a daily dosage. If I were going to do that, I should give him aspirin at 5mg per pound of body weight as you had stated.

Thanks for the advice.

Cool! I'm glad that she was able to give you some extra info. Like I said, the more they get, the worse it is!

Happy Trails to you and Max.:D

Buzz_Lightfoot
05-30-2009, 09:06
This is how I tell if my dog is ready for a hike.

This is a "Yes and I will stare at you until we go!"

This is a "NO!"

This is a "Thanks for bringing me!"

And finally this is a "Why did I let that thru-hiker give me that wine!"

:)

Click pix for bigger.

BL

Cabin Fever
05-30-2009, 19:36
Love the pics Buzz.

I took my two Yellow Lab pups on the AT for the first time today while I did trail maintenance. They are five months old. We did 5 or 6 miles. They were dragging at the end, but were troopers. Yes, they went to sleep as soon as they got in my truck. They also passed out in the living room floor as soon as I walked in.

Now they are chewing on their favorite squeaky

rootball
05-31-2009, 20:18
Drop your dog off at Springer - 4 months later go to Katahdin and see if he is there - if not...well, he was not ready.
Seriously - I passed a dude that was hiking with a 5 month old beagle mix. The dog was having a blast.
My brother almost always takes his dog with him. The real question is -- are you ready to take a long walk with a dog? My brother says that hiking with a dog is like hiking with a baby - you have to constantly keep an on them and take care of them.

Wolf - 23000
07-30-2009, 07:35
How do you know when your dog is ready ... hmmm .... when he/she tells you to leave me at home.

Seriously it is extremely hard on a dog to be walking the same miles as a thru-hiker. They will keep going until they drop dead because you are their master. At the same time, as their master, you need to do what is right for your dog and not yourself. That means don't do something that would or could cause them serious pain, or have them get lost because they wander off, or sleep out when it wet and cold because the shelter is full or has hikers that don't want dogs inside.

Wolf

superman
07-30-2009, 08:18
http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=dogs

CowHead
07-30-2009, 10:03
My dog will never be a thru-hiker, after 3 miles he just wants to walk sideways. He wants to catch every bird, rabbit or squirrel and really only likes the water. But after 10 years you just let him do what he wants to do
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/8/0/0/sharky2.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=32982&original=1&c=member&imageuser=18800)

Birkin
07-30-2009, 13:09
I have a 7lb Chihuahua that I do day hikes with. Mostly between 4-6 miles, but he did one 9.5 mile trail (which I carried him for a mile or so), and loved every moment of it. I also wonder how he'd hold up over a 3-4 day hike of 7 or so miles per day here in the FL heat. I wouldn't want to push him too hard, but worst case scenario is I could always carry him for a while, an option most of you wouldn't have I guess.

Plodderman
07-30-2009, 15:43
I can tell when a dog is not ready better than when he is. I took my new part Golden Retriever on his first hike, an eight milers around a local lake. He go away from me at mile two but my son and I continued to hike the trail and finished about two hours later without ever seeing our dog. When we got to the van there he was setting by the van door.

We were tried but he was ready to play.

Jack Tarlin
07-30-2009, 17:07
How to tell when your dog is ready for a long hike?

*First, is it grown? Puppies or yearlings have no place on a long hike.

*Have you hiked with it a lot, including being out for several weeks at a time?
Just because your dog enjoys day hikes or weekend excursions does not
mean it's ready for a thru-hike.

*How well trained is your dog? Does it respond to voice commands
immediately? Does it bark or howl? Is it OK when you're not around? Does
it deal well with strangers? With children? With other dogs, or other
animals? Is it skittish around strangers, does it snap or jump at people,
does it bolt to chase wild animals? Does it stay by you when off leash, or
does it wander? Does it pee wherever it wants, including on things like
tents or gear?

These are all things to consider.

*Are you welling to spend a good deal of time every day tending to your
dog's needs and health, i.e. checking its feet frequently; checking for
ticks; altering your schedule out of consideration for its health.

*A dog is NOT a pack animal. Are you willing, if necessary, to carry your
dog's food, water, and other gear?

*Are you willing, WITHOUT COMPLAINT, to deal with the times where you'll
be unable to do what other hikers do and stay where other hikes stay,
because you've elected to travel with a dog?

*Are you willing to NEVER expect rules, regulations, policies of hostels,
motels, restaurants, etc. to be altered for you, and are you willing to
never ask people to make exceptions for you and your pet?

*Are you willing to forego staying in shelters, as there are many, many folks
who don't wish to share them with an animal for any number of perfectly
valid reasons?

*Are you OK with the fact that many Trail facilities and locations will be
barred to you because you're with a dog?

*Are you willing to always obey the rules, regulations, and laws in certain
places where dogs are barred, or where leash laws are in effect?

*On the Trail, in trail towns, and elsewhere, are you willing to ALWAYS be
vigilant and aware of how your dog's presence and behavior is impacting
other people? And are you willing to take immediate action when it's clear
that your dog is creating problems?

*Are you willing to NEVER have other people being responsible for your dog,
i.e. are you willing to forego certain things, and are you willing to never
leave your dog alone and unattended where he might have a negative
impact on either the location or the people staying there?

*Are you willing, and I mean REALLY willing to make an effort to clean up
after your pet, in camp and elsewhere?

These are just a few things to consider.

But if your dog doesn't measure up here, or if you're not ready to do all of the above, then no, your dog is not ready for the A.T.

And 95% (at least) of Trail dogs and their owners are not up to the requirements listed above.

Plain and simply, the vast majority of Trail dogs need to stay at home and are better off there, and this is almost always NOT a dog problem, but instead, an owner one.

The plain and simple answer to "Is my dog ready to the-hike the A.T.?" is
very simple:

In nearly every case, due to negligence, laziness, or apathy on the part of the owner, the vast majority of the dogs one encounters on the A.T. are NOT ready to be there.

Sorry to say it, but it's the plain truth. Most of them need to go home.

Jeff
07-30-2009, 17:16
Jack's post about dogs deserves to go the "articles" section here at Whiteblaze.

From a hostel owners perspective:

Every dog owner says their dog is friendly, quiet and will be no problem. About half of them are honest about that. Dogs just miss their owner and will bark until they return outside. We decided that hikers with dogs had to tent outside with Fido. That worked out well ..... even to my neighbors satisfaction.

Blue Jay
07-31-2009, 10:13
About the only thing I would add to Jack's very good post is that it is also much harder to get rides into town. Even I do not like to put wet muddy dogs in my car, although I often do with all this rain. I cannot imagine your average person doing so. Please leave packs off your dog. Imagine not being able to adjust your own pack in any way. It would really really suck and it shows you have zero concern for your dog.

Rouen
07-31-2009, 10:24
About the only thing I would add to Jack's very good post is that it is also much harder to get rides into town. Even I do not like to put wet muddy dogs in my car, although I often do with all this rain. I cannot imagine your average person doing so...

Yet everyone who has hiked with a dog says the exact opposite, as do those who've hiked with those people who chose to take their dog. :-?

Jack Tarlin
07-31-2009, 11:43
Actually, I think it's a wash. There will always be folks who WON'T want your dog in their car, especially if it's wet. But on the other hand, I know of folks who got rides from folks BECAUSE of their dog, i.e. they were told by the driver, obviously a dog owner/lover that "I never stop for hitch-hikers but when I saw the dog I figured you were all right....." or something like that.

So when it comes to hitching, I think your chances of getting a ride with a dog are about the same as anyone else's: Some folks will go out of their way to get you and some will find a reason to pass you. Eventually, tho, someone will stop, dog or no dog.

Jack Tarlin
07-31-2009, 11:57
I just wanted to add something to my post above, in case anyone thinks I hate dogs or have a problem with them.

I don't.

I have hiked many a mile with friends' dogs and expect to do so again in the weeks ahead.

A good Trail dog is a joy to be around. But a bad one can be hell. And most owners are simply not vigilant enough when it comes to controlling their pets, especially when it comes to supervising their interaction with other folks.

Case in point: A few years back I was in the Roan Highlands hiking with Miss Janet's wonderful pet, Fabyan Hensley, who is one of the best dogs I've ever met. Fabyan and I have hiked many a mile together, and I look forward to seeing him again.

Well, this time we were camped at Overmountain Shelter. I was off tenting or whatever and took Fabyan off-leash. It wasn't til much later that someone quite rightly pointed out that they NEVER wanted to hear me bitch about Trail dogs again, as Fabyan had spent a blissful couple of hours nuzzling people, jumping all over them, running around the shelter, including on people's sleeping bags, etc.; begging food; bothering folks who were cooking and eating, and so on. Apparently, he was a real pain in the ass, or to put it another way, he was basically having a good old time being a dog and doing what dogs do.

And I was clueless. It never occurred to me that he was making problems, or that people weren't as delighted with his company as I was.

But the guy who upbraided me was 100% right. I was being a negligent and inconsiderate dog owner, no question about it.

And that's my point: The vast majority of dog owners on the Trail are also guilty of this to some degree, and in nearly every case, they are oblivious to it. It simply never occurs to them that their dog and its presence is having a negative impact on other folks, and other folks' right to enjoying their own trip.

So a word to dog owners: You might not see it, and you might not notice it, but your dog does indeed impact other people; it happens every day, and the impact is NOT always a positive one.

And the fact that you don't notice this impact doesn't get you off the hook.

Nearly every "dog problem" on the Trail is actually an owner one.

SteveJ
07-31-2009, 14:51
Jack: I hike with a dog almost 100% of the time, and agree with virtually everything you say. I wonder whether you may be overstating your point a little, though when you talk about hiking with a dog impacting others ability to enjoy "their own trip."

When I hike with my dog, it is on lead 100% of the time, including in camp. I understand that hiking with a dog is like hiking with a child - their needs become first, over my needs. We almost always step to the side of the trail when we meet other hikers on the trail. I always deal with her waste by burying it off trail (she has the habit of pooping at my mid-stride at inconvenient times!) We don't sleep in shelters, and the dog is NEVER allowed to hang out at shelters. She is NEVER allowed to approach other hikers in camp, as she is always tied at my campsite, under the tarp for my hammock. When we get in camp, I take care of her first - getting her pack off, leashing her to one of the trees I'll be tying to, making sure she has plenty of water, food, and is happy (usually also involves a short wrestling match or hug, based on how tired she and I are). I then take care of my campsite: putting up hammock, getting water, changing clothes, etc.

That being said, I am CERTAIN that some have resented me having a dog on the trail, and therefore I have impacted their ability to "enjoy their own trip." Would you agree that is their problem, not mine? I have a right to take the dog on the trail (with the notable exception of those areas who don't allow it). If I am doing everything I can to hike the right way with my dog, and they still resent it, I really don't care about their opinion, or the fact that my presence has impacted their hike.

You and I actually briefly met at Carter Gap Shelter last spring. Scott, Phoebe and I hiked into the campsite going southbound relatively late. Camp was jammed with many northbounders. We walked up to the shelter looking for the latrine (I think some were concerned that we were looking for a spot in the jammed shelter with our dog!) You held Phoebe's lead for Scott while he took his pack off so that he could run up to the latrine. We then set up camp over the ridge from the shelter, using the shelter only to cook in. You may remember your conversation with Scott the next morning as the 2 of you prepared breakfast. He still remembers you, and has the trail map you gave him on his wall.

Dogwood
07-31-2009, 21:22
A dog is ready for a thru-hike when it carries 10 lbs of your gear, catches dinner, and girls like to pet it.

Tin Man
07-31-2009, 22:49
A dog is ready for a thru-hike when it carries 10 lbs of your gear, catches dinner, and girls like to pet it.

that's a thought... here's another...

... when you think your dawg begs to hike long, grueling miles and that other hikers actually love to share a shelter on a horribly wet day about which time the dog shakes his fur and stinky wetness all over everyone's stuff :D

as i dog lover, i would leave fido home. since most dog owners love themselves more than their dogs, this and other dog truisms will fall on deaf ears. bummer for the dog and other hikers. :)

Tin Man
07-31-2009, 22:53
and Jack is dead on this one. leave the dog at home. controlling a dog is an illusion. forgetting other hikers for a sec, long trail miles are simply not healthy for most dogs. if you love fido, leave him home.

Heater
08-01-2009, 05:43
When I hike with my dog, it is on lead 100% of the time, including in camp. I understand that hiking with a dog is like hiking with a child - their needs become first, over my needs. We almost always step to the side of the trail when we meet other hikers on the trail. I always deal with her waste by burying it off trail (she has the habit of pooping at my mid-stride at inconvenient times!) We don't sleep in shelters, and the dog is NEVER allowed to hang out at shelters. She is NEVER allowed to approach other hikers in camp, as she is always tied at my campsite, under the tarp for my hammock. When we get in camp, I take care of her first - getting her pack off, leashing her to one of the trees I'll be tying to, making sure she has plenty of water, food, and is happy (usually also involves a short wrestling match or hug, based on how tired she and I are). I then take care of my campsite: putting up hammock, getting water, changing clothes, etc.

That being said,

That being said, it must truly S*** being your dog.

superman
08-01-2009, 06:17
Actually hiking is healthy activity for a dog as it is for people. Like people, some dogs can do it and some can't. Hiking with a dog is different...whether it makes for a better or worse hike is a matter of perspective. The reality is that people will take dogs on hiking trails. My hikes with Winter were wonderful adventures. Jack gave some great advise about hiking with a dog. Taking a dog for a thru hike is not a small matter...it takes thought and effort. There is much more useful information available now than when Winter and I started hiking. Since we hiked the AT we have been contacted by a few people each year who want to do the same thing. As I share my information with them I think about half decide to not try it. The others have successful hikes.

SteveJ
08-01-2009, 08:45
That being said, it must truly S*** being your dog.

That's an uninformed opinion if I've ever heard one...

Blue Jay
08-01-2009, 14:55
If I am doing everything I can to hike the right way with my dog, and they still resent it, I really don't care about their opinion, or the fact that my presence has impacted their hike.

Wow, this one sentence sums up the main problem with dog people (not dogs). Many people have been bitten by dogs including those on leashes and they will automatically be uncomfortable around a strange dog. You really don't care and this is the majority opinion of dog people.

SteveJ
08-01-2009, 16:40
Wow, this one sentence sums up the main problem with dog people (not dogs). Many people have been bitten by dogs including those on leashes and they will automatically be uncomfortable around a strange dog. You really don't care and this is the majority opinion of dog people.

NO. Nice job quoting me out of context, BJ. The context is that I am doing everything that a responsible hiker can do, others have a problem with it - at that point it's not my problem, it's theirs. Again - the purpose of this forum is to discuss how to responsibly hike with a dog - NOT debate whether dogs should be on the trail.

Heater
08-01-2009, 17:26
That's an uninformed opinion if I've ever heard one...

I went back and read it again. Don't know why it ticked me off the first time. Except maybe the tying off. If the dog is OK with it and you're giving enough leash, who am I to complain. So, I take it back.

SteveJ
08-01-2009, 22:17
I went back and read it again. Don't know why it ticked me off the first time. Except maybe the tying off. If the dog is OK with it and you're giving enough leash, who am I to complain. So, I take it back.

You're a gentleman and a scholar.....

She loves hiking. I just absolutely cannot trust her off-lead. She is prey driven, and cannot be voice controlled.....I also know that she would annoy the heck out of others that had food..... Have been through several obedience classes with her, and worked with her a lot when she was younger. It's a breed thing. She's smart - smart enough to ignore me when she wants to.... :rolleyes:

I tie her off at night with a 10 foot lead that she carries in her pack. Generally, at the end of the day she is ready for a nap, and promptly falls asleep when we get off the trail, after she has a meal and water.

saimyoji
08-01-2009, 22:30
You're a gentleman and a scholar.....

now we KNOW you're full of ****. :D

Phreak
08-01-2009, 22:54
controlling a dog is an illusion.
Let's go on a hike sometime with one or both of my dogs. I'll show you how ignorant this statement is.

Phreak
08-01-2009, 23:00
So a word to dog owners: You might not see it, and you might not notice it, but your dog does indeed impact other people; it happens every day, and the impact is NOT always a positive one.
The same can be said about other people on the trail. Maybe people drinking, smoking, doing drugs, being loud & obnoxious, talking on their cell phones, etc are impacting my hike in a negative way. It doesn't as I don't give a rat's ass what anyone else does on the trail. If I don't like it, I move on down the trail.

Dogwood
08-01-2009, 23:26
Wolf 23000 and Jack, those things needed to be said to anyone considering thru-hiking with a dog. Thoughtfully stated, both of you. Jack that is one for the articles section.

SteveJ
08-01-2009, 23:32
now we KNOW you're full of ****. :D

....chuckle......well, I can't find a valid position to argue.....

Almost There
08-01-2009, 23:47
Thought I would chime in. I'm the Atlanta backpacking writer for Examiner.com and I just recently wrote an article about this very topic.

http://www.examiner.com/x-16730-Atlanta-Backpacking-Examiner~y2009m7d17-Backpacking-with-mans-best-frienda-pleasure-or-a-pain

If you check out the article the dog in the picture is my 9 month old Aussie, Sampson. While I plan on hiking with him, I would never thru-hike with him. Too much work for me, and I think there would definitely be times he would hate it. We all have moments we hate hiking, or think why do I do this? Dogs can't change their mind and go home, they're dependent on you. I would never take him out for more than ten days at a time, and he won't be ready for big miles until he's at least 18 months old.

Now, in my article I give ways in which you can have a great time with your dog out there while being respectful of others. Keep in mind you take your dog out, and he is another hiker, which means he is subject to the same rules as you and I. I also linked to great thread already here on WB that argues against dogs being out.

I've met some great dogs out there. I've met Phreak's dogs in the past, and I remember Annie, Heald's dog. All that being said, each dog is different, and just as kids are always wonderful in the eyes of their parents, so too many dog owners fail to see bad behaviors in their own dogs. Go ahead and read about the dog I encountered at a shelter on a rainy day.

I would never thru-hike with a dog because I want the social experience of the trail. Taking my dog would limit this...no shelters, hiking at his pace, being excluded from non dog facilities, and possibly hurting one of my best friends in the process, nope, couldn't do it.

Blue Jay
08-02-2009, 08:50
NO. Nice job quoting me out of context, BJ. The context is that I am doing everything that a responsible hiker can do, others have a problem with it - at that point it's not my problem, it's theirs. Again - the purpose of this forum is to discuss how to responsibly hike with a dog - NOT debate whether dogs should be on the trail.

Context changed nothing, bottom line you don't care about the effect your dog has on others as you clearly declare it their problem not yours. I don't expect you to understand.

SteveJ
08-02-2009, 11:31
Context changed nothing, bottom line you don't care about the effect your dog has on others as you clearly declare it their problem not yours. I don't expect you to understand.

<Nor I you.> Edit: Oh I think I understand your point of view. It seems to be that even if my dog is doing nothing to affect other hikers, her presence might cause someone concern because they have had a negative experience with a dog in the past, and I'm a bad dog owner because I have her there. I disagree with the point of view. It is also a point of view that does not belong in this forum.

sasquatch2014
08-08-2009, 11:26
I have done a lot of work with my dog to get him "Trail Ready". We have done a few shorter hikes one in Feb down in Pa and then another one in NJ in April. This was his biggest one so far and while he goes out with me daily on the trails it is often w/o his pack.

I had 10 days lined out for a trip from Hanover down to Bennington. this is about 14 miles per day on avg. Not huge miles....In my mind. What I didn't really think about at the start was the strain that Hank would feel doing this day in and day out. As we were getting read y push out from Spruce Peak Shelter it was clear he was not having fun and just didn't really want to go on down the trail. This is where our Hike ended. I set up for a Shuttle for us the next day to get us down to our car after we took a zero. For most of the day he just laid in the sun and enjoyed a puppy massage from time to time.

It is a major difference to do a few days with the pooch and another thing to do week plus with them. I am glad that I was open enough to changing my plans for the sake of my furry little buddy.

CrumbSnatcher
08-08-2009, 11:31
I am glad that I was open enough to changing my plans for the sake of my furry little buddy.
thats what its all about, hiking the dogs hike! the trail ain't going nowhere.

superman
08-08-2009, 12:33
thats what its all about, hiking the dogs hike! the trail ain't going nowhere.

It seems like a simple concept but for some....

SteveJ
08-08-2009, 12:40
<clip>I am glad that I was open enough to changing my plans for the sake of my furry little buddy.

That's why I've about decided, if I every have the opportunity to do a long hike (month or more), I probably won't take my dog, just like I wouldn't take a child on such a trip. It would be heartbreaking to me, after the expense, logistics, planning, spousal negotiations, work issues, etc. that would go into such a trip for me, to have to get off the trail a few days into it because my dog was injured or just worn out. Obviously, others feel differently, and accept that reality, and that's OK....

Now the weekend to week-long hikes - she's with me! :D

sasquatch2014
08-08-2009, 12:50
That's why I've about decided, if I every have the opportunity to do a long hike (month or more), I probably won't take my dog, just like I wouldn't take a child on such a trip. It would be heartbreaking to me, after the expense, logistics, planning, spousal negotiations, work issues, etc. that would go into such a trip for me, to have to get off the trail a few days into it because my dog was injured or just worn out. Obviously, others feel differently, and accept that reality, and that's OK....

Now the weekend to week-long hikes - she's with me! :D

The Logistics are a pain. I had to find a way to get myself up there and back knowing that Public Transport was out for me. I decided to avoid the problem of getting in and out of town with the dog I would set up two food Caches along the way this worked out great for me and Hank. I think that a week is about the limit for him for now unless it is really mellow terrain or miles.

Reid
08-08-2009, 13:55
Just on a side note. If you take your dog when he is a puppy and grab him up and hold him with one hand as high as you can get him above your head for as long as you can hold him up there - at least 5 mins - every day for months or until he gets to big he will know who his master is and he will do exactly as you say when he gets older.

SteveJ
08-08-2009, 15:07
Just on a side note. If you take your dog when he is a puppy and grab him up and hold him with one hand as high as you can get him above your head for as long as you can hold him up there - at least 5 mins - every day for months or until he gets to big he will know who his master is and he will do exactly as you say when he gets older.

chuckle....first time I've heard that one - bet it works....sounds like a good way to get peed on, tho..... :-?

sasquatch2014
08-08-2009, 17:46
That sounds better than someone who once said you should "mount" your dog to show who is boss. I am not sure about that but I can take anything I want out of his mouth at anytime. I do like to put my mouth over his nose and blow it makes his jowls flop. I know I am strange get over it.:D

mudhead
08-08-2009, 17:51
T I do like to put my mouth over his nose and blow it makes his jowls flop. I know I am strange get over it.:D

I'm over it. Pretty amusing. You ever think of taking him for a ride in the car,
and letting him hang his head out?

Now go try that on the ol' lady.:D

Passion Hiker 73
09-11-2009, 22:14
Your dog is ready for the long hike when he start posting on WB too.:D And maybe when UPS starts dropping off gear that your dog order for his hike.:D

Jonnycat
09-13-2009, 13:13
[sic] controlling a dog is an illusion.

http://i28.tinypic.com/2vdfg9w.jpg