PDA

View Full Version : Best time to buy

Reid
05-27-2009, 12:34
Does anyone know if buying pre-owned in the middle of summer will fetch a better deal on one of those 800+fp bags? I'm very impulsed to go ahead and start revamping my winter gear but I feel like I may need to wait a little while longer until winter gear goes on the back burner for everyone. At the very least, I doubt as many will be looking for winter gear at this time and the that means less bidders and lookers so it may be cheaper to wait until say July. Demand goes down, supply goes up (in theory) and the price goes down with demand? Any suggestions on revamping my entire winter gear setup? I don't want to sell off too much because my brother is getting more and more intrested in it and I need all the gear I can get. Looking for 800+fp 15 - 20 bag too! Have a 650fp 20 degree long marmot sawtooth may sell off too. Thanks!
Reid

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-27-2009, 17:13
I keep my eyes open year round, then I keep track of prices new and used. I also hit the thrift stores. You would be surprised how many people have more money than sense, someone asks them to go camping and they go to REI and buy one of everything, then after 2 years in the closet they give it to Salvation or Goodwill, or even worse just toss it in the trash.

Reid
05-27-2009, 17:55
Yea I keep up with goodwill and the second hand stores, but I live in a rural area not in the mountains so it's slim pickens. I've got a whole lot of stuff to purchase and I need to get the best deal. I hemmoraged money last year on winter gear only to find that I didn't really like much of it. I just bought it for the sale.

Egads
05-27-2009, 18:16
Watch WB, BPL, & Ebay all year long for bargains. Here is an example for a good product seriously marked down. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50717

The internet shops usually have sales for Christmas or Feb-March on old line products when the new offerings hit the stores.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-27-2009, 18:37
How far south are you from the Base?

johnnybgood
05-27-2009, 20:00
I keep my eyes open year round, then I keep track of prices new and used. I also hit the thrift stores. You would be surprised how many people have more money than sense, someone asks them to go camping and they go to REI and buy one of everything, then after 2 years in the closet they give it to Salvation or Goodwill, or even worse just toss it in the trash.
I swear Phoenix ,we think exactly alike . Scary :eek:

Summit
05-28-2009, 07:00
Generally speaking, there are deeper discounts on 'out-of-season' items, but there are exceptions, so for large ticket items (like a sleeping bag), research, research, research. Know the best price you've seen it.

Some recommend eBay but while I buy off there once in a while, it's usually a last resort kind of thing. I typically find I can get stuff about as cheap, new, with no risk elsewhere.

Bottom line . . . know your product, know the best price . . . when a real deal comes along jump on it because the window of opportunity is usually small. ;)

kayak karl
05-28-2009, 07:11
keep your eye on this place http://www.topsleepingbags.com/sleeping-bags-low-temp-sleeping-bag.html i ordered from them twice already.