PDA

View Full Version : good, lightweight camera for a backpacker ???

Crazy_Al
05-27-2009, 16:42
Whyat is a good, lightweight camera for a backpacker ???

Peaks
05-27-2009, 17:05
Well, that all depends on what type of photos you want to take. If it's just snapshots, then a disposable camera works just fine. If you want more than snapshots, then probably a digital camera is a good choice.

Myself, I now use a pocket digital camera.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-27-2009, 17:18
I have done the disposable thing and they suck lol you end up losing half the pics. I bought a Polaroid i630 on ebay for .99 cents with shipping is was like 12. It has a SD card so even if I ruin the camera I wont lose my pics and I wont be too upset that my 99 cent camera got dropped off a cliff lol. BTW the reason mine was 99 cents is it was as is, the I630 has crappy battery contacts that all you need to do is pop a piece of plastic off the contact and then clean them really good. You will see a lot of i733's they are relatively easy to fix as well if you know how to solder, the lense has crappy solder on it and breaks loose easy, takes about 10 minutes to fix 10 points need fresh solder.

Buzz_Lightfoot
05-27-2009, 17:21
This is a loaded question. If you are looking for a specific model you are going to get as many recommendations as there are people. To answer properly we need to know how serious you are about photography. Are you just looking for something to make memories or do you want the highest quality photographs?

Things I would consider.

Weight. Unless you are a serious photographer a small point-and-shoot model should fit your needs.

Battery type. A unit that uses proprietary rechargable batteries will be a problem if you do not have access to a source of AC to recharge from. I make sure my camera uses standard AA batteries. Not only do I NOT need to carry a charger I can get replacements nearly anywhere.

Memory card type. Most, but not all, cameras these days use SD cards. Sony uses memory sticks (Sony proprietary). Some stilll use the older Compact Flash cards.

Amount of storage. SD memory cards are dirt cheap now. You can get a 8GB card for around $20. This is enough for thousands of photos at your camera's highest quality setting.

Megapixels. Higher = better quality. The truth be told anything 10 Meg or higher will give outstanding results.

Optical zoom. The higher the better however the tradeoff is that higher zoom = shakier pictures. Many cameras these days offer image stabilization however I personally am not convinced of the effectiveness. Digital zoom crops the picture to part of the image sensor and will severely reduce image quality. I consider digital zoom a "gimick".

Other considerations:

Macro focus. If you are into taking pictures of small items check on a camera's macro focus capabilities.

Water"proof"ness and ruggedness. Both are important in a backpacking environment.

So you see, there is no hard, fast answer as to which camera to buy however hopefully I have given you enough info to help you make a good, informed decision.

BL

10-K
05-27-2009, 17:29
I carry a Canon Powershot A470. It's kinda big and heavy but it's pretty tough - I've dropped it, sat on it, etc. and it still works.

I strongly recommend lithium batteries if you get a camera that uses AA's. They last a lot, lot longer than regular alkalines.

Linesman
05-27-2009, 18:08
I just bought the Canon PowerShot SD780 IS (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=18183). It seems to be the smallest and lightest camera they make, weighing only 4 ounces. I considered getting the PowerShot D10 (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=2590&modelid=18332) because it is completely waterproof and super durable, pretty good for the AT.

Shutterbug
05-27-2009, 18:21

I have been carrying a Panasonic DMC-TZ4 for about a year.

The important features for me:
Leica lense -- the most important feature of any camera is the quality of the lense.
10X Optical Zoom -- I like to take pictures of the wild life. A good zoom helps.
Plenty of megapixals (8.1)
Good battery life -- the rechargeable batteries are small, light weight and last a long time.

When I am not hiking, I use a Nikon 300D SLR, but it is too big and heavy for backpacking. I bought the Panisonic after listening to a recommendaiton on trailcast.

trippclark
05-27-2009, 18:24

Look at the Olympus Stylus SW (Shock Proof / Water Proof) line. These are very well suited for outdoor conditions.

Crazy_Al
05-28-2009, 08:49
What is a good, lightweight camera for a backpacker that costs less than $200 ???

warraghiyagey
05-28-2009, 08:52
This one is very light weight. . .

http://www.laptoplogic.com/data/resources/images/109/worlds_smallest_cmos_camera.jpg

skinewmexico
05-28-2009, 09:16
I've purchased several lately from ecost.com. I just find the bargain of the day.

yaduck9
05-28-2009, 09:30
Go to www.keh.com (http://www.keh.com)

Search their selection of used cameras for a small 35mm rangefinder camera.

Advantages;

Low cost which equals no worries about destroying it.

35 mm film is available everywhere.

One can send the images back home from the trail by simply mailing the roll of film.

Simple; none of the many buttons to push to adjust iso or white balance, or jpeg or ..................

No worries about the state of the battery charge.

No PC's, Battery chargers, obtaining time on the internet, wasted time on the computer.........

Disadvantages;

Some may think your a bit behind the times until their battery runs out of juice.

Just a thought.

Crazy_Al
05-31-2009, 21:07
I bought the Panasonic DMC-TZ4. It is quit compicated, and does not look very sturdy. I took one picture in low and bad light in my home, and it worked better than I expected. Thanks shutterbug. Sams Club says I can return it in within 30 for a refund if I do not like it.

I have been carrying a Panasonic DMC-TZ4 for about a year.

The important features for me:
Leica lense -- the most important feature of any camera is the quality of the lense.
10X Optical Zoom -- I like to take pictures of the wild life. A good zoom helps.
Plenty of megapixals (8.1)
Good battery life -- the rechargeable batteries are small, light weight and last a long time.

When I am not hiking, I use a Nikon 300D SLR, but it is too big and heavy for backpacking. I bought the Panisonic after listening to a recommendaiton on trailcast.

jamarshall
06-15-2009, 19:35
Anyone had their hands on a Panasonic DMC-TS1 yet? I'm looking for a waterproof camera and this one just came out with good reviews. But no one local has one on hand. Just looking for some first impressions...

Big Dawg
06-16-2009, 09:00
Pentax Optio WP

Kerosene
06-17-2009, 13:34
I'll steal Buzz Lightfoot's taxonomy, augmented with my opinions:

Weight: Look for something under 5 ounces total weight, with batteries.

Battery Type: I prefer proprietary rechargable batteries, at least for section hiking or if you plan to be in a town once a week to plug in. They will last a whole lot longer than AA's and are lighter to boot. Carry a spare battery, which will be a whole lot cheaper than carrying spare AA's, and bounce your charger ahead to your next town stop.

Memory Card: Go with the SD cards, and get at least 2 GB.

Resolution: Unless you plan to print 8x10 photos, you can probably get by with 5 megapixel resolution, unless you're a professional. Of course, nowadays you can't buy anything with less resolution, but you might still opt to set your camera to take 5 MP shots in order to conserve memory by creating smaller sized images.

Optical Zoom: You'll want a minimum of 3X optical zoom (digital zoom is worthless), and I'd prefer at least 5X.
Other considerations:

Stabilization or Anti-Shake: Adds some cost to the purchase, but it lets you take a highly zoomed, high-res shot one-handed.

Waterproof: While you can get by without a fully waterproofed camera for a week or two by being careful, the AT is known for its rain and humidity. I've also coveted the Pentax Optio WP.

mark schofield
06-17-2009, 16:03
I got an Olympus 850 SW a few months ago ($175). Waterproof, shockproof. I'm just a point and shoot guy, so this is probably more than I need. And of course the price dropped a few days after I bought it. Costco has them fairly cheap. I got it specifically for the waterproof, shockproof features. And I got an extra battery. It doesn't use standard AAs. That's my only concern. For a novice like me, it's fine. I used a few disposable cameras last year but was dissatisfied. Mark S.

Nean
06-17-2009, 16:35
I'll steal Buzz Lightfoot's taxonomy, augmented with my opinions:

Weight: Look for something under 5 ounces total weight, with batteries.

I am sorry Kerosene but I just have to ask, Why 5 oz? :confused: I should dismiss a camera I like if it wieghs 7ozs? :-? What if I get a 2oz haircut? :banana Like I said, I'm sorry. :D I do appreciate the other insights and was wondering what the experts thought of the
Sony Cyber-shot W 290. ?
It has 12.1 pix, 5x optical, 3in LCD, a wide angle lens and HD video and comes in silver, black, blue AND bronze! The add doesn't mention weight but it looks pretty light!:o It's in my budget at 199.99

Pros and cons
this camera or Sonys in general?

Kerosene
06-18-2009, 12:04
No need to be sorry, Nean. I've spent a number of years trying to get my pack weight down to a level where my aging legs can carry it day after day. I'm now at the point where I look at every ounce. Certainly there are trade-offs, and there are times where I'll add a few ounces for the luxury items.

However, one good reason for the 5 oz. limit is that a camera up to that weight can easily be slipped into a pocket and doesn't bounce against your leg as you walk. A larger, heavier camera I used (not sure of the weight, but under 10 oz.) absolutely drove me crazy, forcing me to carry the camera in the top lid of my pack where it wasn't very accessible.

Nean
06-18-2009, 12:39
No need to be sorry, Nean. I've spent a number of years trying to get my pack weight down to a level where my aging legs can carry it day after day. I'm now at the point where I look at every ounce. Certainly there are trade-offs, and there are times where I'll add a few ounces for the luxury items.

However, one good reason for the 5 oz. limit is that a camera up to that weight can easily be slipped into a pocket and doesn't bounce against your leg as you walk. A larger, heavier camera I used (not sure of the weight, but under 10 oz.) absolutely drove me crazy, forcing me to carry the camera in the top lid of my pack where it wasn't very accessible.
Makes sense to me. I have a rib pack that I carry all my get to quick stuff! :) Looks like another week or so before I get to do any of the day after day stuff though.:( And to be honest -I don't think I have 2oz of hair anymore!:eek:

NCYankee
06-18-2009, 12:50
Jumping a little late into the discussion here but something I strongly suggest when you are looking at cameras, especially non-(d)SLR cameras is the width of the lens. Ideally you want something, especially for the vistas you will see, that is at least 28mm of equiv. focal length. This will give you a near wide angle lens and enough coverage for most of your needs. The more expensive Lecia digital cameras can go as wide as 20mm on some models making them extremely functional for wide angle nature stuff.
Never use a digital zoom because you just degrade your image where you could be zooming in using photoshop and some actions to protect your image.
Another thing, if you are at all computer literate you can create your own panaramas by just taking a series of photos and rotating your torso. Using photoshop you can have the software automatically stitch them together so that you can create your own wall sized panos.
I don't know if this helps at all. I used to carry my SLR and a bunch of lenses but at this point I have really tried to not go into the woods with 10lbs of camera bodies and glass...

Chainsaw 08
06-24-2009, 00:20
I loved, LOVED my Olympus SW790.

Shockproof. Waterproof. Ran it through a washing machine, and it didn't even blink.

Awesome bit of gear.

Safari
06-24-2009, 04:41
I have a brand new very lightweight Fujifilm WP (waterproof model camera) , takes great photos and a fraction of the weight of the 'tuff, knockabout' models...not sure whether to bounce the charger (again reasonably lightweight) down the trail or carry it... found it very hard to source a lightweight waterproof camera that takes AA batteries... main thing for me is to carry a waterproof camera, saves unwanted dramas...

Ratchet-SectionHiker
06-24-2009, 08:42
I have the Olympus Stylus 770 SW and absolutely love it. I have it rigged up with a carabiner on it so it easy to attach and carry. I use a 2 gig card that will hold 1160 pictures at the highest resolution. It weighs 6 oz with battery and memory card. It has alot of really good settings and options and make it the perfect camera for my wife and I. A downside is the batteries are of a special lithium size and take 4 hrs to charge. The charger is super light but for sections we just take a spare battery in case we take alot of movies or spend time reviewing our data in camp. The reflex of the camera (time it takes the camera to be ready to take a picture immediately after taking one) is great and you can take pictures like a machine gun with this thing! You can get refurbished ones from amazon.com for around $200.00 and used ones on the 'net for around $125-$165. I would highly recommed this camera to everyone. We have used it in every situation possible and it has been nothing short of amazing for us. From snorkeling in the tropics to kayaking on the New River to 5 days straight rain on the AT it has never faltered us.

We also own a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H2 camera. This was purchased before we were hiking as frequently as we are now. It turns out this is a horrible camera. First off with batteries it weighs 19.7 oz. It has a super slow reflex time and the battery life is just down right frustrating. Even with the proffessional Sony lithium AA's, you are lucky to fill half a memory card for one set of batteries. It has the slowest flash lag of any camera I've used and is horrible in anything but perfect light and settings. All in all, in my experience, stay away from the Sony CyberShot series!

Nean
06-24-2009, 10:18
I have the Olympus Stylus 770 SW and absolutely love it. I have it rigged up with a carabiner on it so it easy to attach and carry. I use a 2 gig card that will hold 1160 pictures at the highest resolution. It weighs 6 oz with battery and memory card. It has alot of really good settings and options and make it the perfect camera for my wife and I. A downside is the batteries are of a special lithium size and take 4 hrs to charge. The charger is super light but for sections we just take a spare battery in case we take alot of movies or spend time reviewing our data in camp. The reflex of the camera (time it takes the camera to be ready to take a picture immediately after taking one) is great and you can take pictures like a machine gun with this thing! You can get refurbished ones from amazon.com for around $200.00 and used ones on the 'net for around $125-$165. I would highly recommed this camera to everyone. We have used it in every situation possible and it has been nothing short of amazing for us. From snorkeling in the tropics to kayaking on the New River to 5 days straight rain on the AT it has never faltered us.

We also own a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H2 camera. This was purchased before we were hiking as frequently as we are now. It turns out this is a horrible camera. First off with batteries it weighs 19.7 oz. It has a super slow reflex time and the battery life is just down right frustrating. Even with the proffessional Sony lithium AA's, you are lucky to fill half a memory card for one set of batteries. It has the slowest flash lag of any camera I've used and is horrible in anything but perfect light and settings. All in all, in my experience, stay away from the Sony CyberShot series!

Thanks for the info. I'd hope the new ones are better but its something to ponder. Still waiting to buy...

LiamNZ
06-24-2009, 10:20
Thanks for the info. I'd hope the new ones are better but its something to ponder. Still waiting to buy...

If you're willing to shell out a lot more you could go for the Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 which is shockproof, and waterproof among other things.

Nean
06-24-2009, 10:36
If you're willing to shell out a lot more you could go for the Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 which is shockproof, and waterproof among other things.
Thanks, but 200 is my self imposed limit.:( I wanna great camera- CHEAP!:D

SARdaddy
06-26-2009, 15:11
Sony Cybershot series? Takes great snaps!

HikerRanky
06-26-2009, 16:37
I've got a Nikon Coolpix L20.... 10MP, 3" LCD Screen, uses AA batteries, 4.8oz, and uses SDHC cards. Focus range is 1ft to inifinity, and macro mode is 2in to infinity...

Did I mention that it also does video (640x480 30fps)

List price is $130.00, but Best Buy has them online for $117 right now...

Randy

Chaco Taco
06-26-2009, 17:57
Canon Powershot, awesome, small light and cheap. Great pictures

MintakaCat
06-26-2009, 20:50
I carry the Canon PowerShot A590IS. I got this camera off of Amazon last November for $99.95. The strange thing is it is now $239.99 on Amazon:eek: And it is the same exact camera, I checked.

I've heard of inflation but that's unreal.

Kerosene
06-27-2009, 10:40
There are a number of different Canon Powershot models, covering a wide range of price, size and weight. The Canon PowerShot A590IS mentioned above is a 7-oz camera with battery costing over $300 I believe, while there are other smaller, lighter, less expensive PowerShot versions that are probably more appropriate to the amateur.

Snowleopard
06-27-2009, 12:11
The A590IS is a good choice and is available for $100+ new. Check froogle and ebay.

jamarshall
06-27-2009, 21:30
I have a A590IS that I got about 6 months ago for $115 or so. I saw it on clearance at Sears for $89 last week.

It's a nice camera, 8MP, 4X optical zoom - Consumer Reports had it rated as a good value for the money.