vonfrick
05-28-2009, 16:51
set your stuff in the sun and wait

WalkingStick75
05-28-2009, 16:56
A large leaf

vonfrick
05-28-2009, 17:02
remember that scene in karate kid when mr. myagi clapped his hands together and rubbed them and they got hot and he fixed danielson's boo-boo? that's what i do.

vonfrick
05-28-2009, 17:03
look forlorn and ask to use other hikers' stove + fuel when they're done with them. that works real good too.

ki0eh
05-28-2009, 17:15
look forlorn and ask to use other hikers' stove + fuel when they're done with them. that works real good too.

...for hot chicks.

sarbar
05-28-2009, 17:28

Whimper a lot and make longing looks at their hot food. Till they feed you to make you go away.

sarbar
05-28-2009, 17:31
As for what the lightest cookware is? It depends on what you need really. The lightest would be an ultra thin Ti mug that boils 12 ounces of water most likely. But that has limitations.

You have to ask: How many people am I cooking for? My style of cooking? Boiling water? Actual cooking? Gourmet level? Do you want to spend a lot for Ti or would you take an extra ounce for hard anodized aluminum and save half the money? Do you want a kettle, a mug or a pot? What stove are you using?

vonfrick
05-28-2009, 17:32
Whimper a lot and make longing looks at their hot food. Till they feed you to make you go away.

words of wisdom...from sarbar herself...i would listen if i were you boy

vonfrick
05-28-2009, 17:33
As for what the lightest cookware is? It depends on what you need really. The lightest would be an ultra thin Ti mug that boils 12 ounces of water most likely. But that has limitations.

You have to ask: How many people am I cooking for? My style of cooking? Boiling water? Actual cooking? Gourmet level? Do you want to spend a lot for Ti or would you take an extra ounce for hard anodized aluminum and save half the money? Do you want a kettle, a mug or a pot? What stove are you using?

you realize he'll have to start 6 new threads just to answer all those questions, right?

bigcranky
05-28-2009, 17:36
Those Heineken beer can pots are pretty light. But the Ti mugs are more durable.

bullseye
05-28-2009, 17:39
you realize he'll have to start 6 new threads just to answer all those questions, right?

ROFLMAO:D:D:D

Now that's funny!

sarbar
05-28-2009, 17:41
I stood in line at Costco a couple months ago to these two stoned teens with one going on at the other "Hey man, buy me a churro. Come on dude, it's only a dollar. Hey man...." This goes on for at least 15 minutes.

I was about to jam a $1 in his mouth to just shut him up. So see, it might work on the trail.

Or SAR will find the mooch's skeleton in a ravine, having been kicked over the edge :D :D

Hehheh

Mags
05-28-2009, 17:49
Chinese take out in town...

(Cardboard is light..dontchya know)

On a more serious note..

Being a dirtbagger, (rdoing the typical "boil and cook" type meal) my 2 qt (I like a lot of food) alum pot, small bandanna and tin foil lid weighs in at less than 5oz. If you have a small appetite, a 1qt or 1.5qt will be even less.

Will the pot last? I used the same $4 pot on the Long Trail, the PCT, the Colorado Trail and the CDT. I did have to replace the lid every so often. :) It was fugly (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/oldyeller.html)...but hey, it worked.

If you want pretty and expensive, get the yuppie Titanium. ;)

Alaskanhkr23
05-28-2009, 17:58
WOW,This thread really helped.

Alaskanhkr23
05-28-2009, 17:59
A simple answer would of worked.But i guess that's something that can't be achieved on this site

Alaskanhkr23
05-28-2009, 17:59
But thanks anyways Sarbar.

Blissful
05-28-2009, 19:11
I use this (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/Stovedetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__PRODUCTID=SN2425).

Snowleopard
05-28-2009, 19:48
Sarbar is right in post #8. What kind of cooking are you doing and how much food?
Some days WB seems more mystic than others -- 'look into your soul if you seek the best pans'.
If you're just boiling water either really thin titanium: http://www.lighthound.com/Tibetan-Titanium_c_164.html
or search WB for IMUSA or Walmart 'grease pot'.
If you're going to do some real cooking on the trail, maybe a non-stick Aluminum pot or anodized Aluminum pot. Sarbar has some on her website.

Deadeye
05-28-2009, 20:08
A simple answer would of worked.But i guess that's something that can't be achieved on this site

True, but to get a simple answer, young Grasshopper, one must actually ask a question. Your original post was "lightest cookware" which is not a question, but rather a statement. For all we know, it could have been the special code phrase for calling your fellow aliens to join you.

Had you asked a simple question, such as "Hey friends, what's your favorite cookset consist of, and how light can you go with it?" you would have received much different responses. I, for one, would have said something like "I use a .9 liter titan titanium pot/lid from MSR, which weighs 4.2 oz., ad works great with any of my stoves, and holds a dinner for one."

You have much yet to learn, Grasshopper, but perseverance and humility will get you to your destination. :sun

Kanati
05-28-2009, 20:17
True, but to get a simple answer, young Grasshopper, one must actually ask a question. Your original post was "lightest cookware" which is not a question, but rather a statement. For all we know, it could have been the special code phrase for calling your fellow aliens to join you.

Had you asked a simple question, such as "Hey friends, what's your favorite cookset consist of, and how light can you go with it?" you would have received much different responses. I, for one, would have said something like "I use a .9 liter titan titanium pot/lid from MSR, which weighs 4.2 oz., ad works great with any of my stoves, and holds a dinner for one."

You have much yet to learn, Grasshopper, but perseverance and humility will get you to your destination. :sun

Psyche.....:banana

saimyoji
05-28-2009, 20:38

don't mean to be rude, but i can't find where you've actually asked a question on this thread. :rolleyes:

saimyoji
05-28-2009, 20:39

so i'm a slow typer.

hikingshoes
05-28-2009, 20:49
Lets start over.I think he is looking for the lightest Cookware.lol

Foyt20
05-28-2009, 20:52
I think he is looking for an English text book to figure out how to form a complete question :D

Skidsteer
05-28-2009, 21:26
WOW,This thread really helped.

Lightest, easily useable cookware is a Heineken or Foster's pot.

It takes a certain mindset however. Those prone to snivelling should probably stick to more conventional cookware.

Alaskanhkr23
05-28-2009, 22:18
Well, I got some answer between the insult's.. I guess i'll try building one of those stove's thanks Skidsteer.

sarbar
05-28-2009, 22:52
If you take the insults with laughter you become a member of snarky-town, oops, I mean WB :D If you don't, well, uh......

Seriously, it is just ribbing. Don't take it seriously.

Frosty
05-28-2009, 23:05
Well, I got some answer between the insult's.. I guess i'll try building one of those stove's thanks Skidsteer.He didn't say stove. He said pot.

A simple answer would of worked.But i guess that's something that can't be achieved on this siteYou didn't get many answers perhaps because you didn't ask a question. All you said was, "lightest cookware"

And it turns out you wanted a stove, not cookware.

If you don't take the time to formulate a specific question, why do you think others would treat it seriously?

There are lots of threads discussing cookware here. A simple search would turn up a lot of information. Once you knew something about cookware, you could ask specific, intelligent questions that would be treated seriously.

There are a lot of people here who are wiling to spend a lot of time helping people who are serious about learning, but they also have a knack for ferreting out those are just posting for the sake of posting.

If you notice, all posters are treated equally. Some with respect, some with joking, some with derision. Once you get a reputation, people tend to "know" you and respond in kind. I have a rep for being a grumpy old geezer, and I can live with that because it is mostly true. From the tenor of your many threads, it looks like you are trying to compete with Warrgy. Don't waste your time. He is the undefeatable champ.

Frosty
05-28-2009, 23:07
Correction: If you notice, all posters are not treated equally.

And some posters leave off unimportant little words such as "not" from their posts. What can I say? It's a gift.

saimyoji
05-28-2009, 23:22
Correction: If you notice, all posters are not treated equally.

And some posters leave off unimportant little words such as "not" from their posts. What can I say? It's a gift.

borat

NOT!!!

/borat

Mags
05-28-2009, 23:42
What? No one liked my legit answer? :)

I wasn't being sarcastic. Get a cheap 1 qt alum pot from the thrifter, take off the handle, throw out the lid and use foil instead. Get a a scrap of bandanda. Volia! A cook set that is maybe 3.5 ounces! If you are a big eater like me, get the 2 qt and you get a 4.5 pot. total cost $4

The pot for no sniveling dirt bags.. :)

(Of course, another thru-hiker said "Mags, you make hiker trash look trashy".

yaduck9
05-29-2009, 00:16

"You are a man of great patience and wisdom."

I believe I read that from a fortune cookie.

yaduck9
05-29-2009, 00:18
He didn't say stove. He said pot.

You didn't get many answers perhaps because you didn't ask a question. All you said was, "lightest cookware"

And it turns out you wanted a stove, not cookware.

If you don't take the time to formulate a specific question, why do you think others would treat it seriously?

There are lots of threads discussing cookware here. A simple search would turn up a lot of information. Once you knew something about cookware, you could ask specific, intelligent questions that would be treated seriously.

There are a lot of people here who are wiling to spend a lot of time helping people who are serious about learning, but they also have a knack for ferreting out those are just posting for the sake of posting.

If you notice, all posters are treated equally. Some with respect, some with joking, some with derision. Once you get a reputation, people tend to "know" you and respond in kind. I have a rep for being a grumpy old geezer, and I can live with that because it is mostly true. From the tenor of your many threads, it looks like you are trying to compete with Warrgy. Don't waste your time. He is the undefeatable champ.

Your name is well formulated.

yaduck9
05-29-2009, 00:28
Lightest cookware

Try:

www.minibulldesign.com look for "cookware"

Walmart for the ubiquitous "grease pot" in the housewares section.

www.campmor.com for a titanium pot or "kettle"

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/list.aspx?c=19&sc2=129 for an anodized

aluminum "boiler".

Hope that helps....

JAK
05-29-2009, 08:26
Well, I got some answer between the insult's.. I guess i'll try building one of those stove's thanks Skidsteer.Here is a cool idea I've been working on that you might try.

Take a fosters beer can. Use a good can opener to remove the top. Find a lightweight plastic food jar, preferably polypropelene, that has a light tight lid, and a jar diameter either at the thread or just below it that is just slightly larger than the fosters. Cut the top of the jar (again either at the thread or just below it) and use some sort of epoxy to make up the difference. Done right, the epoxy shouldn't be exposed much to the water you are carrying or boiling, and the plastic rim should reinforce the aluminum pot and not be exposed much to flame you are using to boil your water. You can add a neoprene or ccf foam cozy. What you have now is a combination water carrier, hot water bottle, cook pot, and drinking mug. Make two, and you have one for each side of your pack or shoulder straps.

Downside. There is a thin epoxy coating on the inside of those cans which contains some Bisphenol A, though not as much as the old nalgene bottles. I haven't been successful in finding a way to burn or melt them off yet, but I haven't really tried yet either. If you heat them up it does seem to melt and off gas and run down, so if you heated a can upside down in a self-cleaning oven that might do it. Haven't tried that yet. Waiting for wife to leave town for a day or two. ;)

warraghiyagey
05-29-2009, 08:44

Maybe you should start a thread concerning this phenomenae. . . phenonenom . . . issue. . . .

True, but to get a simple answer, young Grasshopper, one must actually ask a question.
:sun
Please. . . no . . . .

If you take the insults with laughter you become a member of snarky-town, oops, I mean WB :D If you don't, well, uh......

Seriously, it is just ribbing. Don't take it seriously.
Well said. . . :sun

Dances with Mice
05-29-2009, 08:45
Walmart for the ubiquitous "grease pot" in the housewares section.Last couple of times I've looked it's been a no-show. I think it's now the "legendary" W-M grease pot. Anybody found one recently?

bigcranky
05-29-2009, 08:50
Last couple of times I've looked it's been a no-show. I think it's now the "legendary" W-M grease pot. Anybody found one recently?

AFAIK Walmart no longer carries the legendary grease pot. However, there is (has been?) a better version at K-Mart. (The lip is rolled out instead of in, making it easier to clean.)

JAK
05-29-2009, 09:18
I scored a nice 1 litre aluminum hiking pot at a yard sale on my way to my last hike.
It came with a big ass removable handle, but I might switch to a wire.
I've scorched and tarred it cooking with wood fires, but that's what I'm using it for.
Counts. :banana

Reid
05-29-2009, 09:40
Has anyone tried the colman x something pots? They come two in a package I think .9 and .6 liter with little fry pan tops. I believe they are anodized aluminum.

World-Wide
05-29-2009, 10:06
Lightest cookware

If you ask a question in a somewhat proper format and be just a little more respectful on this site (past threads/responses a little sketchy) I'm sure any question you ask will be more than helpful. I like you Alaskanhkr23, but you rub-off the wrong way at times! But like mentioned before on this site, its hard to read one's true intentions while not face to face! I just received the GSI Pinnacle Soloist Cookset I ordered last week and will be using it this weekend. I'll let you know the pro's and con's! :-? Good luck getting the answer you need! :)

mister krabs
05-29-2009, 11:24
Kmart Grease pot with rolled out lip. (http://www.google.com/products?q=stanco%20gs1200&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf)

Old Grouse
05-29-2009, 11:42
Saw a grease pot at K-Mart just a couple of weeks ago. Oh, and Alaskanhkr23, it was the store in Southbury CT, if that's near you.

CowHead
05-29-2009, 13:33
Snowpeak works for me a little spendy but it's light

sarbar
05-29-2009, 14:58
Has anyone tried the colman x something pots? They come two in a package I think .9 and .6 liter with little fry pan tops. I believe they are anodized aluminum.

They are a nice affordable set. Not the best, but still well made. Wal-Mart carries them as well!

KMACK
05-29-2009, 15:15
.9 liter Ti pot w/ DIY BIOS stove.

bullseye
05-29-2009, 17:25
Last couple of times I've looked it's been a no-show. I think it's now the "legendary" W-M grease pot. Anybody found one recently?

Not legendary yet. I have a bunch:
https://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/Stanco_Greasepot.html

Snowleopard
05-29-2009, 17:49
bullseye also has the IMUSA mugs, which I like better than the Walmart/Kmart grease pot. You have to make your own lid:https://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/Imusa_Mugs.html

Speakeasy
05-30-2009, 18:18
If you ask a question in a somewhat proper format and be just a little more respectful on this site (past threads/responses a little sketchy) I'm sure any question you ask will be more than helpful. I like you Alaskanhkr23, but you rub-off the wrong way at times! But like mentioned before on this site, its hard to read one's true intentions while not face to face! I just received the GSI Pinnacle Soloist Cookset I ordered last week and will be using it this weekend. I'll let you know the pro's and con's! :-? Good luck getting the answer you need! :)

Hey, I was looking at the GSI soloist (without the spoon) but I'm really only interested in the pot. I ordered one from great outdoors depot but they were all out:( I would be very interested in how this set works for you.... good luck!:cool:

Speakeasy
(the hiker formerly known as Nrvana)

sarbar
05-31-2009, 00:04
Hey, I was looking at the GSI soloist (without the spoon) but I'm really only interested in the pot. I ordered one from great outdoors depot but they were all out:( I would be very interested in how this set works for you.... good luck!:cool:

Speakeasy
(the hiker formerly known as Nrvana)
Sorry to plug myself....we have plenty in stock in our store btw :)

pattydivins
06-02-2009, 10:21
Try:

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/list.aspx?c=19&sc2=129 for an anodized

aluminum "boiler".

Does anyone have any expierence with this, I am thinking about getting the dualist version for my friend and I. Will I be able to cook enough variety of food without it getting dull using only the kettle, or should I invest in a frying pan as well..

SunnyWalker
05-12-2010, 22:41
I liked your answer Mags and have read your philosophy before. But I gave in and bought a GSI Pinnacle Solist. Not Ti, but awful light if I leave the "bowl" at home. I really like the abilityt to use the lid like a strainer. As for the lightest?? Well, Titanium will win hands down -I bet. But THE REALLY LIGHTEST IS TO NOT TAKE A POT AND NOT COOK FOOD AND EAT UNCOOKED MEALS. There are threads on WB about that. Its all good. Try something out. Have fun.

Hooligan
05-19-2010, 16:04
bullseye also has the IMUSA mugs, which I like better than the Walmart/Kmart grease pot. You have to make your own lid:https://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/Imusa_Mugs.html

Am I correct in doing a simple mathematical conversion that this is approx. 1.18 L?

Hooligan
05-19-2010, 16:05
DOH! Didn't mean to hit post yet.

GSI stuff-any pros or cons with their gear? I've played with some of it in the stores, but am too cheap/poor to splurge yet.

LIhikers
05-19-2010, 17:54
I recently started using the K-mart grease pot and like it.
It holds 4+ cups, weighs about 4 ounces, and costs less than $10.
That's a combination that's hard to beat.
Plus, it seems to transfer the heat very well so my new alcohol stove is a success to.

Rick500
05-19-2010, 18:02
Am I correct in doing a simple mathematical conversion that this is approx. 1.18 L?

24 fl. oz. is about 0.7 liters; 44 fl. oz. is about 1.3 liters.

maicheneb
05-19-2010, 19:57
Sorry to plug myself....we have plenty in stock in our store btw :)

I hate to drag this further off-topic, but....

oh my god. Your website is exactly what I never even knew I was looking for. So glad you mentioned your site!

Back on topic:

As far as a camp stove is concerned, I use the Etowah Outfitters Alcohol Stove II (3.6 oz). I'm sure a coke can stove is lighter, but I didn't feel like making one, and I'm not an ULTRA-light backpacker. Yet.

JRiker
05-20-2010, 09:10
I hate to drag this further off-topic, but....

oh my god. Your website is exactly what I never even knew I was looking for. So glad you mentioned your site!

Back on topic:

As far as a camp stove is concerned, I use the Etowah Outfitters Alcohol Stove II (3.6 oz). I'm sure a coke can stove is lighter, but I didn't feel like making one, and I'm not an ULTRA-light backpacker. Yet.

don't ever start, you can never come back.

turtle fast
05-20-2010, 13:10
I just picked up an Imusa grease pot at Walmart yesterday. They are bringing it in under the Walmart brand identity. It has the internal strainer.

sarbar
05-20-2010, 13:45
GSI stuff-any pros or cons with their gear? I've played with some of it in the stores, but am too cheap/poor to splurge yet.

Well made and affordable for what it is. Is it the lightest? No, but you get a lot for what you spend (and way cheaper for example than buying say a comparable MSR set).

I love GSI products - and can recommend a lot of what they make.

My favorite toy is from them - the little folding table. I rarely take it along outside of winter trips but oh how I love that table!

Connie
05-21-2010, 02:05
My lightest cookware is my Vargo (titanium) 750 ml Sierra, Zelph Super Stove and Nimblewill "Little Dandy" wood stove. I am making an adaption in titanium. This setup right now provides the most versatile cooking methods. I carry no other utensils than my Guyot Designs spatula and REI titanium spork. I can go-lighter with either the Guyot Designs spatula and spork, that fit together, or only my Snow Speak titanium Short Spork.

I have the GSI Solo, but it seems so big! It also has plastic bowls for eating. I do not like to eat on plastic. It does have neoprene around the plastic bowls to keep hot food warm longer. I have to say it is good kit. I have seen YouTube video the Bush Buddy fits inside, just not my style.

I have the GSI Minimalist. It is my everyday hiking kit. I use it with the Soto OD-1R Micro Regulator Stove canister stove, that has too much hype. Actually, it has a large burner surface, the piezo is inside so it is not easily damaged like some I have, it runs smoothly on an almost empty canister and WhoHoo! it simmers! With a REI titanium spork, I like this outfit a lot.

I have the GSI Ketalist. I use it with the Zelph inside-out Super Stove and windscreen and my adaption of the Nimblewill "Little Dandy" wood stove. Boy! This Ketalist is fun! I have abundant hot water on the stove. There are times hiking, I am perfectly content with the simplicity of just-add-hot-water meals and hot drinks. This one is definitely my cocoa, coffee, soup and freezer bag cooking cuisine kit.

I have the GSI peppermill. I put coffee beans inside. Guess what? Fresh ground coffee! I make "cowboy coffee" or I use empty tea bags you can purchase. Fresh coffee! Yay, GSI.

NOTE: Alaskanhkr23, Don't take it hard. They are "snarky" because they are not outside hiking.

Hikes in Rain
05-21-2010, 08:37

I have the GSI peppermill. I put coffee beans inside. Guess what? Fresh ground coffee! I make "cowboy coffee" or I use empty tea bags you can purchase. Fresh coffee! Yay, GSI.

I've got that peppermill, too, but I use it for it's intended purpose. I use this (http://www.huntscoffee.com/store.php/betterkitchencoffee/pd256268/Coffee_Grinder_by_Clipper) for coffee, instead.

It's all good!

Connie
05-21-2010, 14:43
Sweet!

I looked, 1 available. I "googled" and I see the small one got a bad review:

By Bud (Nevada)
I hate to write negative reviews but I have to warn others. I bought the smaller of the two models so that’s all I know about. It simply did not grind my coffee beans. I tried different settings and different beans and would spin and spin and it would only catch a bean every few minutes. After 1/2 hour I had maybe a teaspoon. I bought from “Family on Board” and they pleasantly accepted a return. Not their fault they only sell it. ref: http://cheapcoffeegrinders.blog.gy/2010/05/18/coffee-grinder-by-clipper/#more-159I did have to fool around to get the adjustment right, but it would seem a burr grinder is a burr grinder.

Are you getting better results than that guy? I do smash the coffee beans, first.

Hikes in Rain
05-21-2010, 15:10
I've never bothered to smash the beans, and never had a problem with grinding. It's always worked just fine. That's odd. But now that you mention it, crushing the beans a bit might help it grind a little faster. Honestly, the only issue I ever had was not noticing that the bottom, along with the grinder handle, dropped out while packing. (Found it on the floor when I got back home.) Got out there with beans and no way to grind them! Pounding between rocks sorta works, but not all that well.

Connie
05-21-2010, 15:27
I actually carry a small pestle from a suribachi.

Don't tell anyone: I have a reputation for lightweight and ultralightweight gear to uphold.

The real reason I carry lightweight and ultralightweight gear is so I can carry better food.