PDA

View Full Version : When to SOBO

SalParadise
06-23-2004, 15:15
Hello. I have a time/weather question. I need to southbound from Maine to Salem, Virginia soon to finish up my current thru-hike (I'm on injury break now). This is about 1500 miles.
I don't know what the Fall is like in Virginia, but I don't really like regular nights below 35. When might be about the latest date I should start hiking again? Is mid-July about right?
Thanks,
Sal Paradise

A-Train
06-23-2004, 17:47
I'D say the hike would take betweem 3.5-4 months, so supposing you left june 15th, you'd be done the first 2 weeks of October. Some chilly nights possibly up at the higher elevations in central virginia, but i'd be VERY suprised if it got below 35 then. If you left mid july you wouldn't be done till november when the chances for cold temps are MUCH greater.

TedB
06-23-2004, 22:08
On my flip flop, I left Katahdin July 11th and with a fairly slow pace reached Damascus, VA on Dec 1st. It was a warm fall in 1999 and only a few nights were below freezing, maybe 5 nights all together. However around Oct 20th, some of the higher elevations in Virginia got 4" of snow (I just saw rain that day). The second to last day, the temperature never rose above freezing, when I was on Mt. Rodgers, which I thought made a nice ending to the hike. I think if you finish up by early November, you should be fine.

I can't tell you what your pace should be, but mid July sounds reasonable to me. One of the nice things about heading south is there really is no set schedule.

stickat04
07-07-2004, 22:41
I am also on a injury break I will be returning to the trail on July 20TH I was going to Flip to maine I got off in Waynesboro do to a ankle injury. I dont think I will have enough time to finish If I dont flip flop.
Stick

SalParadise
07-08-2004, 12:25
really appreciate the advice, everyone. Rough math that's 14 miles a day to finish by the end of October for me, a nice, easy pace. What's great is that when I need to add my winter clothing weight, I'll be in flat ole' Virginia. I'm just disappointed that I won't be able to finish my hike on Katahdin.

steve hiker
07-08-2004, 13:52
I'm just disappointed that I won't be able to finish my hike on Katahdin.
Seems to me the Katahdin goal is overrated. NOBOs drive themselves with the goal of Katahdin, but when they get to the Big K they're sorry their journey is over. I've read many journals where the NOBOer is sad or feels empty the day they climb Katahdin.

Better to go SOBO without an artificial goal of reaching the final peak, so you can enjoy the journey along the way.

kncats
07-08-2004, 15:11
My wife and I backpacked in Shenandoah National Park last fall ('03) over Veteran's Day weekend. Camping at lower elevations on the side trails the night time temps were 14 deg the first night and 19 deg the second. You can expect temps to be about 10 deg lower at the elevation of the AT than where we were. I don't recall last fall/winter as being particularly cold for Virginia.

Flash Hand
07-30-2004, 23:38
Seems to me the Katahdin goal is overrated. NOBOs drive themselves with the goal of Katahdin, but when they get to the Big K they're sorry their journey is over. I've read many journals where the NOBOer is sad or feels empty the day they climb Katahdin.

Better to go SOBO without an artificial goal of reaching the final peak, so you can enjoy the journey along the way.

Only fast thru hikers would be sorry. I won't be sorry if I hike 5 to 12 miles a day. Thats why I got off the trail last month after losing many days to zero(the mix ups with social security), and will return next year.

Flash Hand