PDA

View Full Version : UL Frying Pan

Catharsis
05-29-2009, 13:57
Looking for a way to make some kind of ultra light frying pan to go with my Heineken pot, possibly that doubles as the lid.

i tried putting soup can bottoms, a tea tin, and all kinds of scraps from my stove making materials on the stove to cook an egg in but they all started to burn or melt under direct flame.

Any ideas?

JAK
05-29-2009, 14:08
You could heat up a flat rock. What are you trying to cook?
Maybe something like aluminum foil and a layer of sand underneath your frying pan?

kayak karl
05-29-2009, 14:48
Looking for a way to make some kind of ultra light frying pan to go with my Heineken pot, possibly that doubles as the lid.

i tried putting soup can bottoms, a tea tin, and all kinds of scraps from my stove making materials on the stove to cook an egg in but they all started to burn or melt under direct flame.

Any ideas?
ive tried, but had the same problems. direct flame burned everything, but i did learn to poach an egg.:)
i even tried pounding out a wok from an out cookie sheet. couldn't get it smooth enough. i wish i could get access to the fender machine that is on the West Coast Cycle show.:D

sarbar
05-29-2009, 14:54
I was given a One Egg Wonder pan last year. Tiny and it works great. Bed, Bath and Beyond sold them, as does Amazon.

mister krabs
05-29-2009, 15:33
second the one egg wonder, you can even find them at a lot of grocery stores, but I moved up to a IMUSA cacerola (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10730242&sourceid=1500000000000003260370&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10730242) because it has a lid. In fact if the pan's not light enough, that lid might make you a good UL frypan, it's steel and nonstick too. You'd need to fill the knob hole thougg.

Kanati
05-29-2009, 16:07

Any ideas?

The problem with any type of do-it-yourself UL frying pan is that the material you use is going to be so thin that it is almost like putting your food directly onto the flame. It will get so hot that it will destroy what you're cooking. My titanium snowpeak is the same way. Even with a simmer ring on my penny stove it still burns what ever I'm frying.

I have some SS foil tool wrap that could be used. I use it to wrap knife blades for heat treating. It absolutely will not melt but like I said it will not reduce the heat of the flame enough to prevent burning. But, if you want a piece to try and make a pan of sorts, PM me with your address and I'll send you a piece FOC.

Ain't hiking fun? What other sport creates such a variety of do-it-yourselfers?

Happy hiking. :sun

garlic08
05-29-2009, 16:26
I'd agree with Kanati that the only way to make a frying pan work well is to add mass. I've gotten so spoiled with my antique cast iron number, I can't even make a modern teflon pan work well. I've seen a few backpacking frying pans in bounce boxes and that's probably why. I know I've given up.

I thought this thread title was a call for favorite oxymorons, like "accordion music".

sarbar
05-29-2009, 18:43
second the one egg wonder, you can even find them at a lot of grocery stores, but I moved up to a IMUSA cacerola (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10730242&sourceid=1500000000000003260370&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10730242) because it has a lid. In fact if the pan's not light enough, that lid might make you a good UL frypan, it's steel and nonstick too. You'd need to fill the knob hole thougg.

I got spoiled. The gent who gave me mine made a custom lid for it :bananaWoo-woo indeed. A little domed lid of aluminum with a tiny handle on top!

Wise Old Owl
05-29-2009, 19:11
I got spoiled. The gent who gave me mine made a custom lid for it :bananaWoo-woo indeed. A little domed lid of aluminum with a tiny handle on top!

That is my line..... Don't take it away from me.....

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/Hooters2.jpg

sarbar
05-30-2009, 00:38
LOL...now that is good :D

atraildreamer
05-30-2009, 11:40

I have one. They weigh about 7 ounces with the lid. They are also known as egg pans. I have another one that has no cover, or non-stick coating, and no handle, just 2 metal loops to pick up the pan. It weighs about 3 ounces, but you will have to coat the pan with oil to prevent sticking. Both types of pans are available at hispanic grocery stores.

winger
05-30-2009, 20:54
Check out the MSR Flex. I just ordered one. 5.4 oz.

Catharsis
05-31-2009, 23:29
Thanks everyone i did some looking and found one of those one egg cookers at Kroger.

It cost $5.99 and weighs 4.85 ounces unmodified. I am going to either trim down the handle or take it off all together.

Allen1901
06-04-2009, 08:55
An empty "Jiffy Pop" popcorn pan, the old aluminum type, makes a good ultralight frying pan. It lasts a while, if You're gentle with it. It weighs almost nothing. It's free.

Cheers!