PDA

View Full Version : Shelter Gap North of DWG

greenmtnboy
05-29-2009, 17:20
There is a lengthy shelter gap north of Delaware Water Gap, twenty miles or so. I spoke with headquarters, AMC in Boston, Pinkham, then HFWV. There are many reasons, apparently, a shelter has not been built in this area, because of overlapping jurisdictions, site challenges, and so forth. Any specific feedback would be appreciated.:-?

bullseye
05-29-2009, 17:37
Mohican Outdoor Center is 10.3 miles north of the water gap.

emerald
05-29-2009, 18:02
Any specific feedback would be appreciated.:-?

Are you seeking information about where you may camp? If so, your question can be answered with a single click of your mouse.

http://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisit/upload/sb2AT.pdf

greenmtnboy
05-29-2009, 18:22
Thanks for the response.

I'm used to hiking the Long Trail in Vermont which has shelters spaced at even intervals. Apparently, the section is one of the most heavily-used areas; hence the gap.:cool:

emerald
05-29-2009, 18:42
Do you have a tent or some other form of personal shelter? If not, you'll find recommendations in the gear forums or ask for help by posting a question.

mooseboy
05-30-2009, 02:31
Like Bullseye said, Mohican Center is spaced 10+ miles N of DWG. I've stayed there twice and it is a very comfortable spot (though there is a fee).

If you feel like roughing it away from people, though, I believe camping is allowed throughout the DWG National Rec. Area along the Trail. Plus there are a couple of hiker shelters that belong to Camp Eti-Wa-Pec (or something).

The next shelter up the Trail is Brink Road, which I've also stayed at, and IMO would probably try not to stay there again... unless you like being awoken at midnight by locals revving their 4x4 right up the dirt road to the shelter...

Toolshed
05-30-2009, 08:17
You should PM Lone Wolf. I think he is in charge of new shelter building activities on the AT.

emerald
05-30-2009, 13:07
If you feel like roughing it away from people, though, I believe camping is allowed throughout the DWG National Rec. Area along the Trail.

The information above is incorrect. I posted the link as soon as I could to avoid bad information being distributed, but it does little good if people can't be bothered to click on it and read it.

bullseye
05-30-2009, 13:22
If you feel like roughing it away from people, though, I believe camping is allowed throughout the DWG National Rec. Area along the Trail. Plus there are a couple of hiker shelters that belong to Camp Eti-Wa-Pec (or something).

No camping in Worthington SF except at the backpackers sites. If they catch you you will be fined and made to pack up your camp and move along.

The information above is incorrect. I posted the link as soon as I could to avoid bad information being distributed, but it does little good if people can't be bothered to click on it and read it.

I knew the reg but had to look a little bit to find it. Appreciate your posting the info.

emerald
05-30-2009, 13:28
Remember that link. Next time it's your turn to post it.

bullseye
05-30-2009, 13:33
Remember that link. Next time it's your turn to post it.

I can't remember what I had for breakfast:D.

mooseboy
05-30-2009, 14:17

Perhaps I was too general in my response-- I didn't mean to imply that he could camp ANYWHERE in the DWG NRA... Simply that when I hiked through it, camping was generally allowed near the AT, but subject to the various restrictions, just as listed in the link you posted. That's still a lot of space to choose from.

I wasn't trying to "distribute bad information" to anyone, merely telling greenmtnboy that camping opportunities in DWG are plentiful, which they are. I wasn't telling him to just plop down a tent where he pleased... I suppose I shouldn't have used the word "throughout" in such a cavalier manner. I was trying to be brief in my answer, and didn't see the need to also mention the restrictions since you had already posted a link to them.

greenmtnboy, the NPS weblink is a work of art. Please use it. It tells you exactly what you need to know. I was just trying to add my 2¢.

emerald
05-30-2009, 15:54
I wasn't trying to "distribute bad information" to anyone, merely telling greenmtnboy that camping opportunities in DWG are plentiful, which they are.

I doubt you were, yet we often end up confusing if not misinforming those who need our help most. That's why I've pointed out this method of communication is in some respects inferior to traditional guidebooks. True, what we have here is interactive and potentially more up-to-date, but it's no substitute for printed guidebooks or read-only websites though it does help develop better writing skills.

The link is information straight from its source. I hope it will not be forgotten. We must remember it and employ it again when the opportunity presents itself.

It should appear in Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers Companion to make in the file available to hikers planning hikes and the most important bits of information should be incorporated into the Companion text itself if it is not already. I got the impression the information also takes the form of a brochure which is distributed to AT hikers.

emerald
05-30-2009, 16:26

If I were to write a post with the link embedded in it and PM you the link to my post, could you save and remember the PM and cut and paste the link to my post? What if I were to PM you a post you could post as the opening post of a Straight Forward thread? Could you find a thread you started?

There is more than one way to not lose a link. Did I mention you might add it to Favorites, bookmark it or subscribe to the thread where it was posted with any of several options for notification including none?

I think we should have a way of saving links not only to threads, but also to posts within V-Bulletin. I suppose I could save links of WhiteBlaze posts I might like to repost in a Favorites folder and you might do the same.

If I still haven't hit upon something workable, you could always write the link on your arm.:-?:D

bullseye
05-30-2009, 17:44

If I write a post with the link in it and PM you the link to my post, could you save and remember the PM and cut and paste the link to my post? What if I were to PM a you a post you could post as the opening post of a Straight Forward thread? Could you find a thread you started?

There is more than one way to not lose a link. Did I mention you might bookmark it or add it to Favorites?

I think we should have a way of saving links not only to threads, but also to posts within V-Bulletin. I suppose I could save links of WhiteBlaze posts I might like to repost in a Favorites folder and you might do the same.

If I still haven't hit upon something workable, you could always write the link on your arm.:-?:D

Eggs, I think:-?:D.

emerald
05-31-2009, 00:43
Eggs, I think:-?:D.

See, your memory isn't nearly as bad as you thought.:D

Believe you have an exceptional memory. It works as well as believing you have a poor memory and there is more to be gained by it.:-?:)

Strategic
06-06-2009, 14:32
There are several good campsites between the Camp Rd. (the Mohican Center) and Catfish Firetower. All perfectly legal (it's just DWGNRA land) though dry sites along the east edge of the ridge with great morning views. It's also not far along in the morning to reach Rattlesnake Spring just north of the firetower. Puts you in a good position to head for either Brinks Road or Gren Anderson shelters.