PDA

View Full Version : Cheshire Hostel Now Open

Cosmo
06-24-2004, 07:26
Folks, the St Mary of the Assumption Church in Cheshire Mass has re-opened. It was closed temporarily on April 21st due to the caretaker's illness. Page 144 of the '04 Companion is now correct. Nice folks.

Cosmo

Mass AT Committee
www.amcberkshire.org/at (http://www.amcberkshire.org)

beastbulldog
09-20-2004, 17:50
Can you forward any info you have? I'm due there on Saturday night but have not been able to get in touch with the Chuch or its hostel. - Thanks.

Cosmo
09-21-2004, 07:07
Here's the phone number I have for St. Mary's. 413-743-2110. As far as I know they are still open. The hostel is just the floor of their parrish hall adjacent to the church. Other than water and a place to lay out their sleeping bag, they offer no other services.

There is a B&B in Cheshire (who's name escapes me right now). They have info posted on the message board on the AT near the Post Office.

Cosmo

attroll
09-21-2004, 10:32
Here's the phone number I have for St. Mary's. 413-743-2110. As far as I know they are still open. The hostel is just the floor of their parrish hall adjacent to the church. Other than water and a place to lay out their sleeping bag, they offer no other services.

There is a B&B in Cheshire (who's name escapes me right now). They have info posted on the message board on the AT near the Post Office.

CosmoI got this email from beastbulldog. Here is is email:

Thanks for the info on St. Mary. I will keep trying that number and see if I get them. By any chance, do you have a way to get in contact with Rob in Dalton? He is the Rob that supposedly runs an unofficial hostel there that is oft refered to as The Birdcage. I was able to get in touch with Tom Levardi, but he did not have Rob's correct number.

Thanks again for the St. Mary info.

beastbulldog

Cosmo
09-23-2004, 07:35
I don't have Robs contact info, and I haven't made use of his services. Tom Levardi should know what's up, Dalton is a small town and my impression from reading the register at Kay Wood shelter and talking to hikers is that the Birdcage is not too hard to find.

Cosmo

prozac
09-24-2004, 12:29
The B&B in Cheshire is the Harbour House Inn. They will shuttle for free and offer free complimentory breakfast. Run by extremely nice retired couple who went way out of their way to make me feel right at home. At 85$ a night I realize its not everyones cup of tea but on a cold wet Sunday when the the church has its hands full due to services its definately money well spent.
To get a hold of Rob in Dalton, go to the gas station next door to the Shamrock Pub and Motel. Rob is the owner and if my memory is correct it is a Shell station. Also at his gas station is a bus stop for the Berkshire Bus with connections to most major towns in the Berkshires.

kentucky
09-24-2004, 13:02
I remember getting lost coming down greylock in march in 2000 it was a white out, i followed a snowmobile trail down into cheshire,the father their was kind enough to let me thaw out for the night even though the hostel wasnt open.They were having arobics in the gym and i stayed in a room next to them. kentucky:)