PDA

View Full Version : Black flies and what to wear ?

johnnybgood
05-29-2009, 19:27
Will the black flies still be bad in NH by the third week of June and is it better to wear zip off pants and use Permethrin Spray or would it be more comfortable in shorts and using Jungle Juice with Deet?

How warm are the days , UV protection prolly needed.

garlic08
05-29-2009, 19:42
I went through NH in the third week of June last year. The black flies were out, but not too bad, I thought. Same with the skeeters. I did not use DEET, rather lightweight long trousers and long sleeve shirt and a head net. I used permethrin on the trousers. I think my warmest day wasn't much over 80. The clothing took care of sun protection, too, along with a cap. It was a wet year with a late Spring (still some snow near the trail in the Presidentials), so the bugs may have been out a little longer than normal.

Wise Old Owl
05-29-2009, 19:47
one thing really works DEEP WOODS OFF!

Snowleopard
05-29-2009, 19:48
johnybegood, The black flies and/or mosquitos can be bad. If you have zip off pants just unzip and use them as shorts if that seems more comfortable. Do bring DEET and use Permethrin on your clothes (and hat). I hate bugs and use long pants and shirt in bug season.

TOW
05-29-2009, 19:56
Will the black flies still be bad in NH by the third week of June and is it better to wear zip off pants and use Permethrin Spray or would it be more comfortable in shorts and using Jungle Juice with Deet?

How warm are the days , UV protection prolly needed.
Don't wear a thing, it will be an experience that you will never forget......:D

CrumbSnatcher
05-29-2009, 20:55
Don't wear a thing, it will be an experience that you will never forget......:D
bring toothpaste and deet, everything else is overated!;)