PDA

View Full Version : My nearly 30-year old tent

MintakaCat
05-30-2009, 07:47
I dug around in my old gear box and pulled out this old White Stag tent that I bought nearly 30 years ago. Anybody remember these tents made by this company?

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/9/3/7/7/old_tent2.jpg

One thing I do remember is that this was the first tent I bought with a rain fly. Prior to that I had a single wall nylon tent and prior to that I had an old Army surplus canvas pup tent. I recall that when I got this tent it was a real cutting edge tent at the time, which I think was around 1981 or 1982.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/9/3/7/7/old_tent1.jpg

It's amazing just how thick and heavy the nylon is on this old tent compared to today's tents. It weights over 6 lbs, maybe closer to 7 lbs. One thing I know it needs is a couple of tubes of Silnet for the seams.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/9/3/7/7/old_tent3.jpg

What I can't figure out is why I want to keep this old tent. Every time and opportunity comes up to give it away to some young kid going into the Boy Scouts, I just can't let go of it, LOL.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/9/3/7/7/old_tent4.jpg

Anybody else feel the same way about some piece of old gear that you keep even if it defies logic?

Hikes in Rain
05-30-2009, 08:06
Sure. Just open my pack! It's pretty hard to part with old friends like that. When my old REI dome from the 70's finally deteriorated to the point of uselessness (and a health hazard to sleep in due to the nauseating smell of decomposing nylon), I just couldn't bring myself to throw it away. Instead, we gave it a Viking funeral. Set it up for the last time on little floats, edged it out into the pond behind the house, and set it on fire while Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" played on the boom box. Tipped a glass of mead while it burned. There wasn't a dry eye in the yard.

hikingtime
05-30-2009, 17:28
I have a White Stag dome tent I use for car camping. It was low priced, I think around $29, but has been extremely durable. I have had it for at least ten years and I'm sure it will last a lot longer than my ultralite stuff will.

Wise Old Owl
05-30-2009, 17:40
Awww I still have my Andre Jamlet.... And it still doesn't leak. Its weathered West Verginia ground floods. it's was purchased in 1972.

Cabin Fever
05-30-2009, 19:32
The first car camping tent I can remember my parents using was a White Stag. The box it was in could have fit a human body. It was huge and of course, heavy - at least 15 pounds.

Dr O
05-30-2009, 19:34
I've got a Eureka Timberline 2 I've had since the scouts. It's bombproof.

mudcap
05-30-2009, 20:50
Priceless thread....I have a ton of gear at least 30 years old. Funny thing is,I still remember buying each piece...but I can barely remember what happened last week if it did not thrill me. Priorities I guess? The old Kelty Tioga,Camp Trails bicycle bag,MSR G/K,etc. Oh,the memories.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-30-2009, 21:30
I have given away or lost so many pieces of great gear over the years. I took a young kid hiking 2 weeks back and he was about to use a pack that had been givin to him, it was the old military Alice pack, I loaned him one of my packs, but ever since I have been debating asking him to sell me that pack, I hiked with one for a few years and the thing was indestructible.

realityguy
03-04-2010, 21:33
LOL!You mustr have the "newer" model of that tent...

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd25/realityguy/vintage%20tents/th_whitestagaframe.jpg (http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd25/realityguy/vintage%20tents/?action=view&current=whitestagaframe.jpg)

What year were they using ROSE as a fly color?..:-o

Skidsteer
03-04-2010, 21:41
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/9/3/7/7/old_tent2.jpg

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/9/3/7/7/old_tent3.jpg

Y'know? The fly on that tent is pretty much the RayWay tarp design . :-?

Cookerhiker
03-04-2010, 22:48
My 34 year-old tent is still in my garage. Last used it when visiting my daughter in Africa when she was in the Peace Corps in '04. It looks similar to your's. I can't believe I lugged it on backpacking trips - all short, 4 nights max - up until I bought my Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight in '91.

I bought it from a small outfitter in NJ named Morsan. Shortly afterwards, they became Campmor, the best outfitter in the world.

moytoy
03-04-2010, 22:54
Mintakacat; I know what you mean. I still have my Boy Scout pack from the 1950's. And as far as tent's go I think I have you beat on that too. I bought a tent from an outfitter in north Ga. on Hwy 441 in 1977. I still have it. I let my grandkids use it in the back yard. Actually I still carry an external frame pack from the 1975-77 era. I am upgrading! I got on this forum to learn about building tents and Backpacks. And I'm learning something new everyday. Anyhow my message is don't let go of that old equipment. Your grandkids, or nephews and nieces or whatever kids are around love to use your stuff.. and those things my friend are memories.

Rocketman
03-04-2010, 23:05
My 1970's tents were a Gerry Forest model with an integral fly with catenary cut, and the Jansport original Half Dome with fiberglass poles later upgraded to aluminum poles. I also had one of the first Sierra Design Flashlight models.

When I resumed backpacking (really bicycle camping) in 2003, I used both of these alternately depending on wanting minimum weight and small packed size or large space and less concern with packed volume (because I had acquired a bicycle trailer, rather than panniers).

Then I bought an REI Quarter Dome because it was on sale and was newer and a little lighter than the Half Dome.

Then a small one man Kelty, because I might backpack again. Then a Brawney TarpTent from Antigravity Gear because I was going to hike some of the AT.

Recently I returned the Kelty. I gave away the Gerry and the Half Dome to the girl scouts, because the boy scouts wouldn't come and pick them up. I gave away the old Kelty exterior frame packs and old stoves and pots and skillets .... the girls scouts got a haul. I gave away some working sewing machines to the girl scouts (because they would pick them up).

I miss the old tents. Really. Not the rest of the stuff. After all, the tents were homes that protected me from rain and wind. Homes.

Fiddleback
03-05-2010, 10:44
I've got a Eureka Timberline 2 I've had since the scouts. It's bombproof.

The Timberline is my all time favorite tent. I have a 4-person model myself, purchased in 1981. To be honest though, I haven't used it for the past ten years (a four-person, 9lb tent is a bit of overkill for solo bp'ing;)). None the less, it is truly bomb-proof and still inexpensive compared to the more frequently recommended tents.

FB

realityguy
03-05-2010, 12:10
I just picked up a Timberline 4 Deluxe(because of the optional vestibule?)..
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd25/realityguy/vintage%20tents/th_eurekatimberline4deluxe.jpg (http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd25/realityguy/vintage%20tents/?action=view&current=eurekatimberline4deluxe.jpg)

I pick up a lot of vintage tents(follow my picture link to my "vintage tents" folder on photobucket for more old tents.I thinkl I have all of them that are shown there yet except for the yellow REI Half Dome,the LL Bean Canvas A frame and the Kelty Windfoil.I don't know if pictures of all of mine are posted there.I'm usually at the bplite website but was out trying to find another Rose and Orange White Stag tent.LOL!I'm trying to get an idea for the date/model for the thing.

realityguy
03-05-2010, 12:19
One more thing..I was also thinking about the Ray-Way tarp thing..but in Rose?!LOL!
I do have a couple of the smaller timberlines(Wenzel & Eureka) which have somewhat the same tarp/fly and an Eureka Alpine Meadows 2 Tarp which is the same as the timberline one but made for a pole across the middle for more room inside(more material there) the center area of the tent(that tent's a goner).The blue Gerry tent's(forget the model..traveler?) tarps are somewhat the same but with a smaller bottom end along with the MPC one and another unknown one posted there at photobucket.Popular style back then!

coss
03-08-2010, 14:25
I have a Gerry Southface 2 person tent from the mid-1970s, still in use for car camping. Dual A-frame, foot end lower than the head, weighs 5 .bs 12 oz, light for its time.

I made a duplicate of the catenary cut rainfly in silnylon, and it is now my ultralight tarp, and at 10 oz, it's a winner. I sometimes loan the original rainfly to family members when they backpack with me, and it is an interesting juxtaposition of old and new when both are set up side-by-side on the same campsite.

margo
04-03-2010, 21:50
I have an old sears hillary tent that's something like that. I got it for bicycle camping. It's actually pretty light and weatherproof. It's delaminated now though. The biggest issue was that it took a lot of stakes. For awhile I was using the fly as a separate tarp but it's kind of worn out now. It's pretty old, I got more than my moneys worth out of it!

Jonnycat
04-05-2010, 01:02
I still use the Sierra Designs Sphinx I bought when REI first opened here in '92. It's pretty much relegated to base camping now, being as since I've grown picky about the weight I carry on longer trips.

Colter
04-05-2010, 02:08
Last fall I spent another few days in my dad's old wall tent that he purchased in 1952. So that tent was in it's 58th year and it's seen a lot of use. And I'll bet it's still got at least one good decade in it!

Old Hiker
04-05-2010, 08:08
I still have my 1970's canvas Boy Scout backpack with the aluminum frame, with a sleeping bag step on the bottom. I also have several sets of nesting aluminum poles that came with the Voyager tent. The tents long ago mildewed and rotted away, but the poles come in handy every now and then.

The Unknown Hiker
04-16-2010, 16:25
Back in 1977 I bought a 4-season tent that had a circular, zippered flap in the tent floor. I never figured out what that was for. Some people said it was to be opened so you could set your stove directly on the snow/ice for cooking. Others have told me it was designed to be a "pee hole".

Does anyone know what it might have been designed for?

wcgornto
04-16-2010, 16:38
Back in 1977 I bought a 4-season tent that had a circular, zippered flap in the tent floor. I never figured out what that was for. Some people said it was to be opened so you could set your stove directly on the snow/ice for cooking.

Sounds like a nice way to die of carbon monoxide poisoning.

tlap
04-16-2010, 21:51
Ice fishing hole?

S & N trail
09-27-2014, 20:15
I recently found that tent in the house we bought, without poles. Do you know a good source to get poles and what is the model # and/or model name of the tent? TY. S & N Trial

Franco
09-27-2014, 22:48
If by "that tent" you mean the one the OP posted photos of, I think that it was a 1973 White Stag Alpine tent.
If that is correct , it was 42" high , so that is the size of the poles you need.
I would set it up using trekking poles first (set at 42"...) or you could just use a couple of sticks , just to see if that is correct.
The original pole swere telescopic but (if you don't use trekking poles) any 12mm plus pole will do. (.4 ")

Lyle
09-28-2014, 08:57
It was, in fact, for cooking.

Cooking in tents used to be much more common and acceptable than it is now. Just had to make sure you opened a door while doing it. Also had to pay attention to your cooking.

Last Call
09-28-2014, 12:53
Still use my Eureka! Apex XT 2 man for car camping....probably 20 years old and going strong....just used it this week!